RPG-related Interactions with ChatGPT

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 22, 2023 4:29 pm
I think it's telling that in a dozen posts we found limitations to ChatGPT's effectiveness. Cool tool, but only in a limited capacity.
Feb 23, 2023 1:09 pm
If I had money, like win the Powerball money, I'd fund a Start-Up to develop an AI capable of RPG interaction on an assistant or AI DM level. I really think there's a demand for a service an AI like that could provide.
Feb 23, 2023 1:20 pm
You could probaly get around the AI short term memory for an on going solo game by dumping in an updated situation as the seed for each new chat. This would take more work but could be managable as long as you dont really care about long term story continuety. It could probalbly handle an old fassion dungeon crawl just fine.
Feb 23, 2023 1:30 pm
witchdoctor says:
If I had money, like win the Powerball money, I'd fund a Start-Up to develop an AI capable of RPG interaction on an assistant or AI DM level. I really think there's a demand for a service an AI like that could provide.
https://i.imgur.com/YVQsYL8.png
Feb 24, 2023 4:39 am
witchdoctor says:
To be honest, I have approximately zero interest in this. It's pretty obvious there could be a demand, but social interaction is a huge draw for me in gaming. Removing the people so I just bounce ideas off an AI isn't all that appealing. I might sound like a Luddite with that comment though.
Feb 24, 2023 5:02 am
For those that like solo play... kind of dawn of a new age stuff...
Feb 24, 2023 5:30 am
Quote:
I asked if it would play with me. Initially it said no because it can't play physical games, but it could help me learn the rules. However, after I explained that RPGs could be played by conversation and using digital dice, it agreed!
I couldn't persuade it to be my gamemaster. :(
Quote:
As an AI language model, I am not able to serve as a game master for an online roleplaying game.
Quote:
As an AI language model, I am not able to serve as a game master for an online roleplaying game because I do not have the ability to interact with players in real-time, nor do I have the creativity and intuition required to create engaging and immersive storylines and characters for a roleplaying game.
Last edited February 24, 2023 5:33 am
Feb 24, 2023 5:38 am
meseszovo says:
Quote:
As an AI language model, I am not able to serve as a game master for an online roleplaying game because I do not have the ability to interact with players in real-time, nor do I have the creativity and intuition required to create engaging and immersive storylines and characters for a roleplaying game.
Hey, sounds like my GMing!
Feb 24, 2023 1:25 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
witchdoctor says:
To be honest, I have approximately zero interest in this. It's pretty obvious there could be a demand, but social interaction is a huge draw for me in gaming. Removing the people so I just bounce ideas off an AI isn't all that appealing. I might sound like a Luddite with that comment though.
Oh, I'm 100% with you on the idea that social interaction being the reason why I play TTRPGs. I've never gotten into the idea of solo games because they fell kind of 'empty' but I know that's not everyone's experience. I do feel that having an AI GM shouldn't necessarily be a solo effort though. An AI GM probably would never match the skill of a live DM, it might be a fun experience for a few friends to play a pick-up dungeon crawl or other shared experience. I'm not say it would or should replace interaction with real people; instead, just provide a service for folks who don't have ready access to a live group willing to play games they'd like.
Feb 24, 2023 2:58 pm
Last year, I wrote an AI script to help me write posts and overcome GPer's block. I'd type in a rough description, press a hotkey, let the AI flesh it out, and then I'd customise that generated text.

I think AI is a tool for generating new art based on avatars, suggesting descriptive text, maybe even suggesting encounters and obstacles. For things like this, I see AI being a wingman more than a pilot.
Sep 24, 2023 2:20 pm
squid says:
I have tried using it to be a GM for a solo game and it worked for a few interactions, but eventually it went off the rails. It doesn't seem to have enough long term memory to maintain the game flow.

I've had better success using it as a supplement to my game. I feed it a scenario and ask for ideas, or to help flush out a dungeon room, etc. It seems to function better when it doesn't have to keep track of a lot of things.
I agree. And have tried many times now to play with it, reminding it about things it had said. But inevitably it goes off the rails. At this point in time AI doesn’t seem to really understand what it's doing. It just does. So it doesn't even know when it contradicts itself or goes against a parameter it agreed to earlier. When you call it out, it goes "Oh yeah. Sorry. I won't overlook that again." And a number of posts later it unknowingly contradicts again.

Definitely great as a quick way generate ideas on the fly. You just have to remind it to not be so winded. It loves to tell a story.

Also it's the best thesaurus, because you can ask it not only to find you synonyms of a single word, but you could ask it to find you a word or words to describe some idea you have in mind that you can't find good words for. Or you can list a few words you have in mind and ask for another that means all those. (A reverse thesaurus, I guess).
Last edited September 24, 2023 2:21 pm
Sep 24, 2023 2:28 pm
witchdoctor says:
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
witchdoctor says:
Oh, I'm 100% with you on the idea that social interaction being the reason why I play TTRPGs. I've never gotten into the idea of solo games because they fell kind of 'empty' but I know that's not everyone's experience. I do feel that having an AI GM shouldn't necessarily be a solo effort though. An AI GM probably would never match the skill of a live DM, it might be a fun experience for a few friends to play a pick-up dungeon crawl or other shared experience. I'm not say it would or should replace interaction with real people; instead, just provide a service for folks who don't have ready access to a live group willing to play games they'd like.
I mean an AI group adventure could be at least as interesting as something like the old Dungeon, or Heroes Quest board games and far more interactive.
Sep 24, 2023 3:08 pm
I have a Gdocs of a few Prompt that work on chatGPT to have it DM a game.
They both work very well but don't follow rules very well but it can still be fun.
You can be level 1 and cast Fireball or Cast wish or fly around. Anything you want to happen it will allow...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sWv1j8Zjdn1QQLep2IrLmtyw1yNjXQHv8Ur3y71zRn4/edit?usp=sharing
Sep 24, 2023 3:38 pm
I personally use chat GPT sparingly in my design process. Like a crutch mostly, when I get dry of ideas. When fed a few sample skills, it just chooses to repeat the pattern of one of them, so it's not good at coming up with new applications of mechanics it has been shown. Still, some of its text is usable with some important mechanical adjustments. I usually keep less than 5% of what It tosses at me, and from that I need to rewrite from scratch about 97% of it. But it still serves as a little impulse. Once I get a few things done with it, it's all downhill until I find another obstacle or get burnt out again.
Sep 24, 2023 5:15 pm
Smiley says:
I have a Gdocs of a few Prompt that work on chatGPT to have it DM a game.
They both work very well but don't follow rules very well but it can still be fun.
You can be level 1 and cast Fireball or Cast wish or fly around. Anything you want to happen it will allow...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sWv1j8Zjdn1QQLep2IrLmtyw1yNjXQHv8Ur3y71zRn4/edit?usp=sharing
Sweet I’ll check that out! Thanks.
Last edited September 24, 2023 5:15 pm
Sep 24, 2023 11:01 pm
Seck says:
squid says:
I have tried using it to be a GM for a solo game and it worked for a few interactions, but eventually it went off the rails. It doesn't seem to have enough long term memory to maintain the game flow.

I've had better success using it as a supplement to my game. I feed it a scenario and ask for ideas, or to help flush out a dungeon room, etc. It seems to function better when it doesn't have to keep track of a lot of things.
I agree. And have tried many times now to play with it, reminding it about things it had said. But inevitably it goes off the rails. At this point in time AI doesn’t seem to really understand what it's doing. It just does. So it doesn't even know when it contradicts itself or goes against a parameter it agreed to earlier. When you call it out, it goes "Oh yeah. Sorry. I won't overlook that again." And a number of posts later it unknowingly contradicts again.

Definitely great as a quick way generate ideas on the fly. You just have to remind it to not be so winded. It loves to tell a story.

Also it's the best thesaurus, because you can ask it not only to find you synonyms of a single word, but you could ask it to find you a word or words to describe some idea you have in mind that you can't find good words for. Or you can list a few words you have in mind and ask for another that means all those. (A reverse thesaurus, I guess).
I totally agree with all of this especially the point about going off the rails. But it definitely has its uses as stated above.
Feb 28, 2024 6:56 am
Has anyone tried using ChatGPT as a PbP descriptive tool. Using it to add depth and detail to your posts on GP?
Feb 28, 2024 7:33 am
I used ChatGPT to help with the descriptions for a magic-school-game and for the artwork I used Midjourny. I could ask it for plot ideas that I then refined, or classroom descriptions or the subject being taught.
The tricky thing was to manage its output.
Feb 28, 2024 12:59 pm
I use it for some things as well. I have a couple threads going that allow me to refine and redirect the bot responses to better align with my ongoing stories.

It is good for producing lists, typicallly with around 10 ideas, for me to filter for challanges and difficulties when I get stumped on ideas but know there should be an obstacle for the PC.

The dexriptions it producesare of sceenes and characters also great. It also helps wtih NPC backstory as my own ideas do not always fill all the holes the players seem to find in my storry. Sigh. So good they are at finding those.

It can also fill the spot of a sounding board so I can refine my own ideas. But it is still a bot so dont just blindly copy paste as you may get undesired results.
Feb 28, 2024 3:40 pm
I've used ChatGPT to write prophecies and in game legends, before word smithing them a little to fit my precise needs.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.