Chapter 24 - MegaOctagon!

load previous
Mar 10, 2023 9:07 pm
As soon as he realizes what Solomon's unearthly wind is trying to do, he tears at the trash and detritus trying to cover the sigil and keep it exposed to the others.
OOC:
Agility & Athletics are the same so I think I'll roll Athletics. What's the target to roll?
Last edited March 10, 2023 9:07 pm

Rolls

Athletics* - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (1) = 1

Mar 10, 2023 9:09 pm
Bev is still slack-jawed at the spectacle of her own magic symbol, challenging her scientifically-oriented mind with a self-luminescence that should not be.

Then from under her feet, a tremor begins. She looks down at her sneakers praying not to end like the corner of Warren Venue and Gulfside Boulevard.

From the distance, she sees the ground breaking under an enormous stress, and a single, implacable, unstoppable crack breaking the asphalt in ugly scales of tarmac. The crack advances straight towards the base of her wall! As it hits it, she can see it trying to propagate upwards in the brickwork, crumbling the mortar and making the bricks change asset!
OOC:
Beverly needs to find a way to try keep her wall together, preventing it from collapsing for long enough! This will be a Strength task.
Mar 10, 2023 9:18 pm
From the top of her ladder on the billboard, Alana knows something's wrong when she sees Benny stepping back and hears Ripper whining.
Then she sees the clouds gathering right above her at unnatural speed, fast, ominous, thickening as ink in front of their own eyes.
A super concentrated, violent rain starts falling with astounding viciousness almost horizontally against them. Benny cries down below.

The drops are painful against her skin, like a thousand needles! Once the initial shock gone, she catches something at the corner of her eye and turns to the billboard: the rain is impacting hard on the large poster, soaking the paper and has already started to smudge her painted symbol, under the glow!!
OOC:
This will be a mixture of somehow protecting the symbol from the worst of the water, and touching up the smudged areas with the spray can to keep the lines of the symbol intact under the torrent of rain! Agility or Athletics, too!
Mar 10, 2023 9:23 pm
"Benny!" Al shouts. "You need to grab that trashcan lid there. Climb up the ladder and shield the symbol. Quickly!" At the same time, Al picks up the spray can again and begins redrawing the parts of the symbol that are starting to get smudged. "You're not going to win this one, Solomon!" she mutters.

Rolls

Agility - (1d8, 1d6, RA)

1d8 : (2) = 2

Agility (Benny Spend) - (1d8, 1d6, RA)

1d8 : (6) = 6

Mar 10, 2023 9:24 pm
witchdoctor says:
As soon as he realizes what Solomon's unearthly wind is trying to do, he tears at the trash and detritus trying to cover the sigil and keep it exposed to the others.
OOC:
Agility & Athletics are the same so I think I'll roll Athletics. What's the target to roll?
OOC:
these target numbers will be 4 not to make it too impossible for you guys. There are a large number of simultaneous attacks, both on PCs and NPCs, repeated for two rounds.
Johnny fights like a fury against the almost sentient wind, reaching high and stretching to grab, rip, crumple the flying junk before it can cover his glowing lines! It is tiring and nerve-wracking, and his heart thumps in his chest like thunder - but somehow he manages to keep the symbol exposed for now!
OOC:
Round 1 of 2

still to resist:

-Johnny
-Bev
-Al
-Alice
-Brian
Mar 10, 2023 9:28 pm
bowlofspinach says:
"Benny!" Al shouts. "You need to grab that trashcan lid there. Climb up the ladder and shield the symbol. Quickly!" At the same time, Al picks up the spray can again and begins redrawing the parts of the symbol that are starting to get smudged. "You're not going to win this one, Solomon!" she mutters.
Al's quick thinking and determination shake Benny off his shock. He clambers up the ladder with the trashcan lid she pointed at and starts holding it vertically in front of the symbol, gasping in the torrent of vicious drops, while his sister spray paints and repairs the damage of this uncanny attack!
OOC:
Round 1 of 2

still to resist:

-Johnny
-Bev
-Al
-Alice
-Brian
Mar 10, 2023 9:39 pm
Alice Evans
Alice eyes widen in terror as she sees a tornado of flying paper, wrappers and junk heading her way! It is totally unnatural and has all the markings of a Solomon spell!
The junk flies against her canvas, a plastered wall to the side of a shop, and starts covering her glowing symbol too.
"No no no no no no!!!" she shouts as she jumps to reach the junk trying to keep it clear from the lines of her symbol.

Brian, Bev's brother
Elsewhere, Brian cannot make sense of the concentrated, intense water ramming hard against him and his billboard, and gasps for breath in the agony of a thousand needles on his face.
When he clocks that the water is smudging the symbol, he climbs right up the metal scaffold supporting the billboard, and holding on with his legs he tries to shelter the symbol with his jacket, spreading it wide open in front of it.
OOC:
Agility or Athletics for these two, too

Round 1 of 2

still to resist:

-Johnny
-Bev
-Al
-Alice
-Brian

Rolls

Alice Athletics - (1d10, 1d6, RA)

1d10 : (8) = 8

1d6 : (64) = 10

Brian Athletics - (1d8, RA)

(5) = 5

Mar 11, 2023 3:24 am
As morter shakes loose from the wall Bev lets out a string of curses she's been meticulously collecting from Gran over the past two years.

The wall's bulging out, she thinks to herself as she runs to the dumpster of the Orange Julius. She slams her shoulder into it and pushes with all her might...
OOC:
...rolling Strength...
...her sneakers slip in grease. She tries to dig in, her head throbbing from the welt...
OOC:
...spending Benny...
Dammit Bev, you nerd, she thinks to herself as she can't seem to get purchase.
Last edited March 11, 2023 3:27 am

Rolls

Strength - (1d4-1, 1d6-1, RA)

1d4-1 : (3) - 1 = 2

1d6-1 : (4) - 1 = 3

1d4-1 : (2) - 1 = 1

1d6-1 : (3) - 1 = 2

Mar 11, 2023 8:35 am
OOC:
I was meant to reward Bev a benny for the signature to the graffiti detail, then forgot: you can have it now to spend @Dunko !
Mar 11, 2023 1:57 pm
OOC:
Radical--is maybe what Bev would say. And thank you for the nice touch of having the initials in the art piece--LOve iT!
Bev slumps against the dumpster, spent. Tears build in her eyes, more from frustration than anything else. She just knows she's gonna be the one to blow it...

She thinks back to what her mom said to her, a week before it happened, while sick in the hospital hooked up to machines, no less.

Come on, you're gonna show them what you can do... she thinks and stands back up. Put your back into it as she channels Olivia Newton-John.
OOC:
...yikes here goes--benny spend...
She shouts in surprise and elation as the dumpster squeaks and begins to move...

"Thanks...Mom," she grunts
Last edited March 11, 2023 1:59 pm

Rolls

1d4-1 : (3) - 1 = 2

1d6-1 : (62) - 1 = 7

Mar 11, 2023 2:18 pm
The dumpster slides half way to cover the wall, propping it up and giving it some sort of stability... the symbol looks a little wonky, with the brickwork starting to misalign... but it stays together for now.
OOC:
new round!

the Being

Dr_B

Mar 11, 2023 2:22 pm
the Being
The entity stirs, as this powerful magic begins to wound it at its core, at the very heart of its recently acquired power... it lashes out once more against the five tormentors it has located! Its magic is weaker... how dare these puny humans declare war to a God?!?
OOC:
Solomon starts to weaken - rolling attacks

only Johnny, Bev and Brian are under attack this round!
I will post attacks this afternoon my time

Rolls

vs Johnny - (1d12-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d12-2 : (10) - 2 = 8

1d6-2 : (2) - 2 = 0

vs Bev - (1d12-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d6-2 : (61) - 2 = 5

vs Al - (1d12-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d12-2 : (1) - 2 = -1

1d6-2 : (4) - 2 = 2

vs Alice - (1d12-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d12-2 : (5) - 2 = 3

1d6-2 : (5) - 2 = 3

vs Brian - (1d12-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d6-2 : (1) - 2 = -1

Mar 11, 2023 6:17 pm
Alana and Benny, soaked to the bone, see the rain decreasing in intensity. Their billboard is soaked, but the battering of water has ceased. Even the gathering of clouds over their heads seems to dissipate. The symbol shines with a healthy glow despite the ground all around the billboard has turned into a muddy mess. Eventually, the rain stops.

Benny, A's brother
"Wh-What's going on? Is Solomon going away?" he asks, dripping wet.

Wet Ripper
Ripper tentatively steps out from under the ladder. She has lost half of her volume, her drenched fur making her look skinny and odd.

Alice Evans
Alice readies herself to face a new wave of junk and papers, like when she is between the posts of her goal and the opponents' team is past the full-backs and all depends on her. But just as it had started, the unnatural wind fades and stops altogether, leaving her puzzled and panting to catch her breath.
All around her is a multitude of paper trash and wrappers, but her glowing symbol is intact.

Brian, Bev's brother

Dr_B

Mar 11, 2023 6:27 pm
Brian, Bev's brother
No such mercy is afforded to Brian. The rain keeps battering violently on his assigned billboard. Still perched on the scaffold supporting it and protecting it as he can with his jacket, he realises that the symbol is starting to smudge and fade despite his efforts, the paint dripping in long black rivulets like tears from poisoned eyes. Even the glow seems to be less intense now.
"Shit shit shit, don't fade now!" he says, letting go of his now drenched jacket and reaching for the spray paint can in his back pocket.
Holding on with one hand to the top of the billboard, he lets himself slide down next to the smudging symbol, and hastens to spray paint to restore the worst affected lines.
OOC:
Athletics once again as he hangs like a gymnast while spraying to adjust the symbol. He is no Wild Card, but has 2 bennies

Round 2 of 2

still to resist:

-Brian
-Johnny
-Bev

Rolls

Brian Athletics - (1d8, RA)

(84) = 12

Mar 11, 2023 6:54 pm
Johnny keeps fighting the wind with remarkable focus. The localized ministorm does not give any signs of wanting to stop. If anything, the items blown by the wind seem to be larger now. The wind has stolen clothes and towels left to dry outside, and preventing these from covering the symbol is becoming more difficult.

As he strains to keep his desperate fight, with arms aching...
[ +- ] ...
Mar 11, 2023 7:18 pm
Bev is as tense as a bow string, trying to keep in check the bricks as best as she can. The dumpster she has placed helps give support, but she can see more cracks splitting the tarmac and snaking their way towards the fragile wall, and can feel the tremors under the soles of her sneakers.
Luckily her mind seems to understand the stress lines and weakest spots in the brickwork, and pushing her weight this way and that she begins to counter the wrecking effects of the seismic attack... for now.

Then a voice in her head changes everything...
[ +- ] ...
Mar 11, 2023 7:20 pm
"Maybe we already won!" Al exclaims. "Maybe Solomon's powers are gone and that's why this stopped." But she's not so certain that's true. It couldn't already be over, right? Rather than move down from her ladder, she stays right where she is, waiting for some sign.
Mar 11, 2023 7:21 pm
OOC:
I'll roll Spirit and see how that goes before narrating the outcome.
You really don't understand me at all, Black... Johnny shouted into the wind, shielding the shining beacon behind him. That void you see is your own future...or lack of it. My parents are gone from this world but not from me. I'm not alone. I have family and I have friends and both are something you lack. It's not the fact that you've been beaten by an old man and a bunch of kids that makes me feel bad for you... it's that when you're gone there'll be no one to miss you. Everyone will just be glad you're gone.
Last edited March 11, 2023 7:31 pm

Rolls

Spirit - (1d8, 1d6, RA)

1d8 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (5) = 5

Mar 11, 2023 7:53 pm
The voice goes silent in Johnny's head, and the wind keeps whipping this young fighter, who is putting all of himself in defending his friends, his family, and everything he has.
OOC:
the most awesome response! Well worth a Benny!

And @bowlofspinach, have a Benny for the Wet Ripper image, that I immediately replaced in the post above!

Round 2 of 2

still to resist:

-Brian
-Johnny

-Bev
OOC:
once again the pressure is on Bev, @Dunko !
Mar 12, 2023 2:29 pm
As the darkness crowds around her, Bev's breathing becomes labored. She feels the weight of it, and the voice pressing her down.

Not the dark again... she thinks as she grabs at the red chord dangling from her coat breast.

She yanks the chord, closes her eyes and whispers, "Highbeams.."
OOC:
...rolling Gadgetry...success...
Then she slowly opens her eyes and becomes emboldened by the light pushing back the darkness. "See? See, Solomon; I am a little light, jus' like my momma said! And even if I am a loser, my friends will be real, not a bunch'a brain washed dummies!"
OOC:
...rolling Spirirt...success...
Bev's sense of self worth soars. She doesn't care what a monster thinks of her--just her crew.
Last edited March 12, 2023 2:37 pm

Rolls

Gadgetry - (1d8-1, 1d6-1, RA)

1d8-1 : (7) - 1 = 6

1d6-1 : (2) - 1 = 1

Spirit - flat, wound canceled out - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d6 : (4) = 4

load next

Thread locked