[FULL] D&D 5E Beyond the Known

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Apr 12, 2023 2:12 am
JamaisVu says:
Monk's name is Khyree Vadis.
Got it! Thanks! I'll open a thread up for Khyree Vadis' backstory.
Apr 12, 2023 3:07 am
JoshuaMabry says:
Nuts. Did I miss out?
I think we did buddy. I think the dm should start a second game for the seconds lol.
Apr 12, 2023 3:27 am
Mnrtoler says:
JoshuaMabry says:
Nuts. Did I miss out?
I think we did buddy. I think the dm should start a second game for the seconds lol.
Hmm...don't tempt me.
Apr 12, 2023 3:58 am
Seck says:
Mnrtoler says:
JoshuaMabry says:
Nuts. Did I miss out?
Hmm...don't tempt me.
No tempting here. Challenging maybe lol
Dec 11, 2023 12:19 am
The Game: D&D 5e (Loosely based on the Mystara setting)
Post Frequency: Post 3-4 times/week.
Game Duration: Ongoing.
Starting Level: 4
Open to all player experience levels.

https://i.imgur.com/ZdqQxCl.jpg

The Games Origins
This 5e game began in April 2023. It started with separate solo sessions for each player where we developed characters as solo adventures and integrate each character's story into the main campaign plot that continued to unfold when the players finally came together. Now the story has evolved to a place where two of the three original players were not having as much fun (and consequently we're starting a new game separate from this that aligns more closely with their interests).

The Games Content
So that said...this story's developing conflict has settled into a plot arc that incorporates:
> An order of dragon-following monks, countered by a dragon-worshiping cult that does bidding for demons from another realm.
> The Iron Ring (which is a evil organization in the classic D&D Mystara setting that deals with slave trade.)
> A corrupt desert kingdom that is at best complicit to the activities of the Iron Ring.
> Pirates.

Some of the things the players will be up against are clearly dark in nature, but this is not meant to be a campaign where the players are evil or anything close to that. In fact, I'm looking for players who enjoy being the heroes that seek to put a stop to the evil they find. This may or may not involve a transformation of your character--if your character's backstory involves some kind of nefarious past or something like that--but ultimately I seek players that at the end of the day will choose good and have lots of fun saving the world!

Post Frequency and Game Longevity
We've been posting at different rates. Some weeks we each post a little something every day, other weeks 3 posts each, other weeks I get busy outside of GP and can't post at all. Shooting for the 3-4 times/week is the general rule.

I am not against this being an ongoing campaign that unfolds over a some years of gameplay. (It has been running for 8-9 months already). At the same time, I will periodically check in with players to see if they continue to have fun. If any player wants to leave the game at anytime, for any reason that is okay. Just let's be open and work it out.

How to Apply
I am looking for the game to have up to 3 players total. At the moment, it has an opening for one or two new players.

If you are interested in joining this game, just let me know your character idea and a short backstory (which can be elaborated once you are onboard).

If it helps you come up with any ideas, the character that is currently playing the game is a Tabaxi (called Rakasta in Mystara) pirate captain, who has recently reclaimed his ship and crew.

Please start your character at level 4.

Standard D&D 5e Character Creation. I allow WOTC classes, races, and features outside of the core rules. Players must just let me know what they are thinking/using.

Your character's backstory and in-game choices will certainly influence the story content of this game as we move forward, but please be aware that you are entering a story that includes pirates, demons, evil dragons, cultists, and slavers.
Dec 11, 2023 1:12 am
That looks rather interesting to me. Like to read up more and make a character for that if you would take me.
Dec 11, 2023 1:19 am
GeneCortess says:
That looks rather interesting to me. Like to read up more and make a character for that if you would take me.
Excellent. Let us know what you come up with. Feel free to ask any questions too.
Dec 11, 2023 1:58 am
How about a male Half-Sea Elf fighter. Raised with the inherent differences between being a sea elf and human. Now a sea loving sailor type skilled for combat. Loyal to his captain most of all.

Only real question is how you deal with Half-Sea Elf mechanics?
Dec 11, 2023 2:28 am
Hmm... does an escaped slave turned Paladin/Warlock feel like a fit?
Dec 11, 2023 4:10 am
GeneCortess says:
How about a male Half-Sea Elf fighter. Raised with the inherent differences between being a sea elf and human. Now a sea loving sailor type skilled for combat. Loyal to his captain most of all.

I think a half-sea elf would have a 30ft swim speed, be able to breath underwater and still have Skill Versatility.

That character sounds interesting for this campaign. Got a little more ideas for a backstory?
Dec 11, 2023 4:21 am
MaJunior says:
Hmm... does an escaped slave turned Paladin/Warlock feel like a fit?
An escaped slave turned paladin/warlock could be great in this setting. Are you thinking paladin or warlock? Or do you mean a multiclass character?

We have a warlock in the game already, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean you could not play a multiclass character that includes warlock, especially if the paladin side is a big part of your character.

Got some more thoughts on your character's backstory? Would the same 'patron' this character swears loyalty to as a paladin also be the source of the character's warlock abilities?
Last edited December 11, 2023 4:23 am
Dec 11, 2023 4:40 am
Seck says:
GeneCortess says:

I think a half-sea elf would have a 30ft swim speed, be able to breath underwater and still have Skill Versatility.

That character sounds interesting for this campaign. Got a little more idea for a backstory?
Unsure of the exact setting to do a lot of background work. I would say going with an orphan and taken in on a ship early in life would be a fine background start. Throw in some possible merchant shipping work/guard to account more for the fighter in him. Something along those lines. If you some more than a lost love story or some crossing with a religion problem, can spice it up. Or possibly land lover problems like bad debt gambling or fights with the wrong persons.

Looking on the good side of things here perhaps a bad luck start. Nothing in the pirating/thieving area. This guy is clean and he is no captain. Just a well-respected crew person. The guy that is always there when you need him. He is the best barnacle cleaner around.

One of his noted adventures was when the ship he was on was going down. Sure, the ship could be patched and saved but there wasn't anyone that could do that and not drown in time except him. No one after ever said a word again about his Sea Elf half.

Another amazing story was when the ship name 'Cutter' had to be thought to be lost at sea with all hands drowned came all shattered and into port to never leave again with all hands alive. Out to sea the ship was going down nothing could save it and all hands were doomed to the deep six. Between the captain's rep and his pleas for help, a nearby tribe sea elves came to the ship's aid.

Perhaps he now is looking for something new. Just needs a reason to be where he is now.

Really looking at straight fighter class here. Rough and tumble type sailor person.
Last edited December 11, 2023 6:26 am
Dec 11, 2023 3:19 pm
I picture a sailor taken as a slave when his ship was raided. A slave, escaping and swearing an oath (small "o") to deal with slavers -- indeed, anyone who would subjugate the common man -- and to free others like him who haven't been as fortunate as he was to find an opening to escape.

Starting on the path of a Paladin, he eventually finds an opportunity to enhance his power, and takes it. Making a pact with something in the shadows (or was it the shadow itself?) he comes out even more proficient with a blade. Using his improved martial prowess, he redoubles his efforts to exact vengeance and defend the defenseless.

Mechanically... I'm thinking Variant Human, sailor background. Multiclass, Paladin 1 (to be Oath of Vengeance at Paladin lvl. 3) then 3 levels of Hexblade Warlock (Pact of the Blade) to bring him to 4.

At that point, he focuses on Paladin levels. I don't expect to take more levels in Warlock, although I may go up to five down the road a ways... honestly not completely sure yet. But I feel like 3 levels of Hexblade is all I need.
Last edited December 11, 2023 3:20 pm
Dec 11, 2023 3:22 pm
GeneCortess I think your character background ideas sound good. We can flesh them out a little when you are in.

The Newbie's Guide to Mystara. This could be a helpful resource. I use this information loosely and modify it to fit our campaign.

FYI: The Whisker, the ship in the story, at the moment is captained by a PC and is on route to a smallish port village on the Island of Elegy (part of the Island Kingdom of Ierendi), called Maulia. This place is a bit off the radar of the other kingdoms of the world. The majority of people there are indigenous islanders called Makai. But some retired sailors, shipwreck survivors, adventurers, and other foreigners have found their way to this remote tropical place for one reason or another. Maybe through the tales of Makai villagers or from personal experience with sea fey, your character may also know that Maulia sits on the mouth of a river that leads to a large forest lake area inhabited by fey.

Your character could be currently residing there in Maulia for some reason linked to your backstory, or somehow could come across the Whisker on the sea sailing to Maulia.

Does that help?
Dec 11, 2023 3:28 pm
MaJunior says:
I picture a sailor taken as a slave when his ship was raided. A slave, escaping and swearing an oath (small "o") to deal with slavers -- indeed, anyone who would subjugate the common man -- and to free others like him who haven't been as fortunate as he was to find an opening to escape.

Starting on the path of a Paladin, he eventually finds an opportunity to enhance his power, and takes it. Making a pact with something in the shadows (or was it the shadow itself?) he comes out even more proficient with a blade. Using his improved martial prowess, he redoubles his efforts to exact vengeance and defend the defenseless.

Mechanically... I'm thinking Variant Human, sailor background. Multiclass, Paladin 1 (to be Oath of Vengeance at Paladin lvl. 3) then 3 levels of Hexblade Warlock (Pact of the Blade) to bring him to 4.

At that point, he focuses on Paladin levels. I don't expect to take more levels in Warlock, although I may go up to five down the road a ways... honestly not completely sure yet. But I feel like 3 levels of Hexblade is all I need.
That could all work. I see how I can incorporate the 'shadow' patron.

I'll send and invite to you and GeneCortess.
Dec 11, 2023 6:53 pm
Wonderful! We got two new players. Thanks for finding this and applying. We'll get back into gameplay once we square away character generation.
Last edited December 11, 2023 6:54 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.