OOC Conversation

load previous
Jun 11, 2024 12:30 am
Hey guys this was fun. I really like DCC. However, I ended up with no gold and no magic items all the way to level 3. Seems I have nothing to show for it. Can't even upgrade my armor. So...thanks for the game and the comeraderie. See ya on the flip side!
Jun 11, 2024 12:43 am
I think we're going to need more players.
Jun 11, 2024 12:58 am
Umbraldragon! You were a fierce warrior as Aislynn and I bid you farewell. Thank you for being you!
Jun 11, 2024 1:01 am
See ya round the Plane Umbral!
Jun 11, 2024 8:33 am
Sorry to see you go, Aislynn. This is my first time running DCC and I'm just running the modules as written. If there's not enough treasure being handed out, I'm happy to increase it to keep you all where you need to be. Looking through the equipment chapter, though, there doesn' seem like there's a whole lot to spend money on once you've upgraded your starting gear since there doesn't seem to be a magic item economy like in some other games.

I'll open up recruitment later to see if we can get one or two other players. However, I'm going on a long vacation from June 17th through the 30th, so I won't start the next module until after I return.
Jun 11, 2024 10:16 am
Submitted my character, kind reminder about this bit tho:
DarK_RaideR says:
- One of the spells is Find Familiar. Should I assume the character has cast it before and shows up with a familiar already (and thus roll for what it is)? I'm fine if not and it has to be cast within the game.
- Same question for Patron Bond, which was also rolled as a known spell. Furthermore, if such a bond has already been made (which is probably how the character received magic power) even if the details aren't determined now, I'm guessing that would come with the goods (bonus spells) and bads (patron corruption) of that patron?
Sorry to see you go @umbraldragon , was a joy to read Aislynn's posts, especially when she'd do the unexpected. If I may chip in, I get Dmbrainiac's POV about running premade adventures and DCC not having a magic item economy, but also get yours about zero loot which makes sense. Your decision is yours of course, but if a middle ground can be found by assuming some money is made between adventures in order to make up for this gap and allow a gear upgrade, it'd be nice to solve things this was. But that's none of my business ;)

Enjoy your long vacation @Dmbrainiac
Jun 11, 2024 10:31 am
Sorry, I missed the earlier questions. You can roll for your familiar before the next module starts, and for your patron bond as well. Choose your patron and roll for the bond and I'll tell you what you get from it. :)

I'm fine with everybody getting a stipend between modules to make up for lack of loot. Not sure how much it should be but open to suggestions. :D
Jun 11, 2024 12:52 pm
Dmbrainiac says:
Not sure how much it should be but open to suggestions. :D
I'd say the table for making characters of higher levels is a good guideline?

Since I did roll an elf for my 0 level base character, let's go with the King of Elfland for patron.

Edit:
Patron Bond - The caster makes contact with their patron and is considered a useful pawn. The caster receives a prominent mark of the patron on their hand or face. The caster learns the spell invoke patron as it relates to their patron and may cast it once per day. Each time they cast invoke patron, the caster is indebted to their patron, who will call in the debt at some point.

Familar - Guardian, Tarantula (melee attacks deal poison; DC 14 Fort or temporary loss of 1 Agility), Normally mellow but becomes inexplicably animated when discussing leather armor, 9hp
Last edited June 11, 2024 1:00 pm

Rolls

Patron Bond spell check - (1d20+2+3)

(10) + 5 = 15

Familiar spell check, physical configuration, personality, hp - (1d20+2+3, 1d14, 1d20, 1d4+2)

1d20+2+3 : (14) + 5 = 19

1d14 : (13) = 13

1d20 : (5) = 5

1d4+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Guardian familiar jumpy subject and bonus hp - (1d6, 1d4+2)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d4+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Jun 11, 2024 8:35 pm
I'm cool with waiting until after your vacation, Dmbrainiac. :)

I admit that I haven't delved too deep into the DCC system beyond character creation and wizard spells. What does one do with the loot if there's no magic item economy (not that I'm complaining)? Do they want characters to build castles or buy armies to sack castles? Or is all that beside the point?
Jun 11, 2024 9:21 pm
Personally, I prefer you not pad the modules with unwritten loot, I feel like poverty is something DCC does well and uses to it's intended effect, i.e. it keeps the challenges challenging by making something like plate mail a great achievement.
Jun 14, 2024 2:59 am
Are we waiting on something in particular for the Honey/Hyde suicide pact thing?
Jun 14, 2024 3:42 am
Here’s what I think is happening, but I also think that I may be confusing things with the suicide magics.

-Honey, by winning initiative, completed the blood ritual causing only nominal damage to the palms of each
-Honey rolled well enough to invoke patron and was planning on beseeching the Lady in Blue to restore Hyde to full hp
-in casting the spell by using the dark artifacts, Honey falls subject to its cursed effects
-Hyde then sees the crazed eyes take effect and saves Honey from further injury by disarming her.
-We await Brainiac for the invoke patron results/exchange.
Jun 14, 2024 12:39 pm
I will be on vacation from 6/17-6/30! I won't be posting until I get back to work on Monday, 7/1, after which I'm sure I'll have a lot of catching up to do. 🙂

I'll see if I have time to figure out the patron stuff before I go, but it may not be till after I return.
Jun 14, 2024 2:38 pm
Thanks for being in communication! I’m cool with that. This is extraneous gameplay.
Have a great trip!
Jun 14, 2024 5:36 pm
Enjoy the time off, Dmbrainiac!
Jun 15, 2024 4:30 am
That's how I read it too Darkstar. Happy vacation Braniac!
Jul 1, 2024 12:19 pm
I'm back now, give me another day or two to catch up and get back into posting.
Jul 1, 2024 8:26 pm
Welcome back! Hope everyone is still up for it
Jul 2, 2024 2:15 am
I am, but it looks like we might need another recruit or two as there are only four of us.
Jul 2, 2024 7:55 am
I've just had another player express interest in joining so I've extended them an invitation. Later today I'll look through the level 3 modules I have access to and begin to decide which one to run next.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.