microtheMacroBear / Barley

Sep 6, 2023 3:26 am
Welcome @microtheMacroBear

This thread is for your character creation. Take a look at welcome and character creation.

If you have any questions you can post them here or if you think they are general on the Q&A
Sep 6, 2023 11:15 am
Thanks! I just made my character. I don't think I have any questions at the moment.
Sep 6, 2023 11:19 am
I would like to play Barley, a former henchman turned wandering scholar. Barley is a slightly older elf with a curious disposition and a friendly smile. I think he comes from the Freeholds.
Last edited September 6, 2023 11:21 am
Sep 6, 2023 1:40 pm
There are directions for submitting the character in the creation process. Once you have submitted yoru character I can give some feedback if needed and start your story.

Let me know if you need help with anything
Sep 6, 2023 4:51 pm
Hello! Thank you, I submitted my character. I don't have any questions at the moment, but I'm sure questions will arise as I start to play and get used to how PBP works.

Let me know if I need to change anything on my character sheet before I start.
Last edited September 6, 2023 4:54 pm
Sep 7, 2023 2:00 am
Looks great. When you are ready go ahead and post a short intro on Barley to the Who's Who thread and posted prefered posting rate in the newcomer poll and I will start up your story
Sep 7, 2023 2:46 am
You selected 2+ per week which puts you inline with another newcomer who joined recently. Would you prefer starting solo or stating by joining his story (check it out Here)
Sep 7, 2023 11:31 am
If it works for everyone, I'll join the other game! I don't have a preference myself.
Sep 7, 2023 6:33 pm
You can start reading the story so far and join in here after reading the instructions on this post
Sep 7, 2023 8:18 pm
Sounds good! Thanks!
Sep 7, 2023 8:37 pm
Hi!

I do have a quick question before game play. I was able to find the rules for Martial Artist trait online, but I was not able to find the rules for the Psychic trait.

I was hoping that would give me minor telepathy powers like Detect thoughts in DND. (With a check of course).

Is this how this trait works or does it work differently? I don't want to assume to much power on starting traits.
Sep 7, 2023 9:05 pm
I believe it is in the settings section of the rules and is similar to the Spell Touched. We can tweak it a bit.

I am fine with detecting emotions and minds in general but full on mind reading I will need to think about
Sep 7, 2023 9:42 pm
I got curious. The Psionics trait is in The Crystal Mines micro setting in the rulebook. It basically works just like Spell Touched. Presumably it can serve as a gateway to the Magical Disciplines, but recast as Mental Disciplines. So Onyx Magic becomes Telekinesis Discipline, Crystal Magic becomes Telepathy Discipline, Emerald Magic becomes Empathy Discipline, Diamond Magic becomes Cryokinesis Discipline, and Ruby Magic becomes Pyrokinesis Discipline. I have no idea what Sapphire Magic becomes because it is so disjointed.

(In case it isn't obvious, this is just my observation as someone looking at the system rules. The actual decision is all Psybermagi's.)
Last edited September 7, 2023 9:43 pm
Sep 7, 2023 10:31 pm
Thanks for pointing me towards the right place @daryen, I just got the book so I am able to look at the exact wording.

• Psionic: Yes, that’s my voice inside your head. You have awakened your mind to wield psychic powers, making you capable of feats and wonders with a mere thought.

The Psionic Trait mechanics are similar to those of the Spell-Touched Trait, letting you do small psychic feats with no effort—telepathy, simple telekinesis, etc. More powerful effects are accomplished by the use of the standard Test—mind blasts, stronger telekinesis, pyrokinesis, etc. As with the Spell-Touched Trait, the Game Master has always the final say on what and how much can you do with this trait.

@Psybermagi - However you want to me to use the trait is fine by me. I will leave the trait alone until you have had time to think about it.
Last edited September 7, 2023 10:35 pm
Sep 7, 2023 11:55 pm
Psychic let's you do the following
+ Telepathic communication : willing individuals
+ Telekinesis : tiny objects
+ Pyrokinesis : start a fire

Roll to do the following
+ Psychic sensitivity : detect nearby minds
+ Empathy : you feel strong emotions
+ Telepathic or Telekinetic Blast : attack
+ Telepathic suggestion : plant minor ideas or sensory input
+ Pyrokinetic storm : ignite combustible items in an area
+ Telekinetic Push : move small items, trip someone, etc

If your have other ideas feel free to ask but these are general guidelines
Sep 8, 2023 12:17 am
I love this. I would also say I'd be willing to roll at a disadvantage for anything that you think would be beyond my abilities.
Last edited September 8, 2023 2:29 am
Sep 13, 2023 11:04 am
Hi!
I would like to take the Beast speaker trait before we continue on. I don't see any money in my inventory. Do we have starting money? I missed it during character creation and I'm having trouble finding it in the forums if we do.

If we do have money, I'd like to buy a Normal pen (0.02, cheap ink (7), and some parchment (flavored as a journal - I'm guessing expensive - 0.2).
Total: 7.22

If we don't have that much money, I'd like to buy a normal pen, expensive paper, and normal vial and I'll forage for ink or make it using charcoal from a fire or something.
total: 1.22

If we don't have money, then I guess I better earn some money.
Last edited September 13, 2023 11:06 am
Sep 13, 2023 9:21 pm
I think I want Beast Speaker because then I might be able to use the Golden finch as recon if we find ourselves in a situation that needs it.
Sep 14, 2023 2:05 am
You can take beast speaker if you like or pick up a familiar directly as a trait.
Sep 14, 2023 10:40 am
Oh! I like that. Familiar, I'm definitely going with a familiar, a little shadow kitty named Malachy.
Last edited September 14, 2023 10:40 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.