microtheMacroBear / Barley

load previous
Sep 14, 2023 1:37 pm
[ +- ] Official familiars
I have allowed variations on this, ex : increased range for a limited duration etc. So if there is anything if the default rules familiar you want to change let me know and we can work something out
Sep 14, 2023 5:00 pm
Sounds good! I don't think need to change anything. Other than maybe the familiar being relatively new to Barley.
Last edited September 14, 2023 5:01 pm
Dec 13, 2023 12:12 pm
Hi! Thank you for updating on my sheet with experience. Could I spend experience points at anytime?

I would expect you don't want us doing that in the middle of a fight, but after a fight. Still, it never hurts to ask.

If so, I read the rules in the book, but do you have custom rules for leveling up? I could really use weapon mastery. Maybe I could treat telegraphic blast (only this) as a mastery once I hit 8?
Last edited December 13, 2023 5:01 pm
Jan 25, 2024 3:54 pm
@Psybermagi - Hello! I noticed that the character sheet has changed format and the experience has been adjusted slightly. Am I good to spend experience as I see fit or do we need to go back to town and do it within the story? Because I could use weapon mastery on the short sword.
Jan 26, 2024 4:13 pm
Based on what Psybermagi has said before, you get that first mastery before getting XP. So, you get to add mastery immediately since you should have gained it after the jackelwere with his new approach.

After that, you have 14 XP to spend when you get to a "downtime". I don't think you can pick up a trait right now while wandering the giant tree, but once you get done with that, you'll be able to add a new trait (or whatever). Depending on how much additional XP you get by the time you get out of the tree, you might even be able to add a new trait (or whatever) AND something else!
Jan 27, 2024 4:11 am
Love it, thanks all! I think I picked the Familiar trait instead of mastery, but I can add it for the sword. Let me know if I need to adjust xp @Psybermagi. I'm all for more stuff to play with :)
Last edited January 27, 2024 4:12 am
Jan 27, 2024 4:26 am
You are good as is. When you guys finish up you guys will be able to develop your characters a bit. A benefit of the restructuring of the advancement path.
Mar 10, 2024 12:02 pm
Hello! @Psybermagi

Sorry, I misread you're post. How about he gets an amethyst necklace on rawhide that does something instead?

Oh! Also if you need me to migrate to the other game you mentioned I can do that.

For the original item:
A speaking stone is a DnD 5e thing. It's basically a limited use walkie talkie. I thought it could be used instead as a tape recorder.

The desire for recording device ties to Barley's backstory. When I first introduced Barley, he was a wandering scholar searching the world to make a folk history for it. I thought that a recording device would make sense in that regard.

That is why I thought maybe taking the bard path way back when in the cave system would make sense. Spreading songs and stories, that sort of thing. That also tied back into the backstory.
Last edited March 10, 2024 12:23 pm
Mar 11, 2024 11:50 am
@Psybermagi, I'm going to take the healer trait. I've update the sheet to reflect that. Let me know if it functions any differently than rules as written.
Mar 11, 2024 12:42 pm
Healer RAW is good as is but I do allow it to have an affect on some magical disease and poison with disadvantage
Mar 12, 2024 9:50 pm
Sounds great! I will add that to the sheet.
Mar 15, 2024 4:09 am
Quote:
amethyst necklace on rawhide that does something instead?
Crystal pendant of Spirit Gathering:
This simple looking pendant has a small design of a sickle and wheat etched on the front. The back of the pendant shows a design of longboats sailing toward a sunset, representing the afterlife. While wearing the pendant, the pendant gains 1 charge whenever a Small or larger hostile living creature is slain within 30 feet of you. As a free action you can use as many charges as you wish to heal yourself or another creature you touch.The maximum number of charges is equal to 1/2 your health.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.