Tyranny of Dragons Recruitment

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic1 / dayVladonAbaddon
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/8/88/Renotheblade_PoR.png

The Cult of the Dragon has come to Phlan, a lawless refuge on the Moonsea. Now, with no significant authority to stop the cult, other power groups in the Realms ā€“ the Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Lords' Alliance, and even the Zhentarim ā€“ must unite to stop the cult from fulfilling its dark purpose in the city.

This is an Adventure League campaign consisting of 14 modules from Defiance in Phlan to Escape from Phlan (with possible inclusion of Corruption in Kryptgarden). I've had an experience of running it for my party IRL, but we didn't manage to finish the campaign. I expect 5 to 8 players in the party with a possibility for new players to join at any given moment (if someone decides to leave).

I personally prefer short and informative posts from players, especially in the beginning when the characters don't know each other too well. I don't have issues with lengthy RP if my players find it fun, but having it early in the adventure tends to slow things down too much. I also wish to keep things vanilla, at least for this campaign, so only Player's Handbook will be allowed. This should also make the campaign more friendly for beginners.

Sep 28, 2023 5:30 pm
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/8/88/Renotheblade_PoR.png

A few years ago I had a chance to run Tyranny of Dragons for a group of people. We never managed to finish the campaign, but the adventures were fun and my players seemed to enjoy it. So this time I decided to try it in PBP format which is something relatively new for me. Feel free to make suggestions and correct me whenever you feel it's necessary!

Character creation is restricted to Player's Handbook because I wish to keep this campaign simple and vanilla. New players may join in the middle of the campaign, but of course playing from the beginning will be more rewarding. The first adventure will take you all straight to action, but afterwards there would be more time for leisure activities, getting to know your party members better etc.

Submit your characters and welcome to Phlan!
Sep 28, 2023 5:35 pm
Assuming this is D&D 5e. If so, I have a Half-Elf bard college of lore that I would like to submit. Simple motivation of fame and adventure. Will take lightning Bolt at level 6 from additional magical secrets

I also have an idea for a Half-Elf longbow valor bard in case others want to play the more blaster type
Last edited September 28, 2023 5:44 pm
Sep 28, 2023 6:14 pm
I'm definitely interested. Got an idea for an outlander tiefling archfey warlock with a potential connection to the Emerald Enclave.
Sep 28, 2023 6:22 pm
I'm new around here so this is exactly what I am looking for. I'd like to try playing a barbarian noble, not so much a savage just a stubborn old mule with a chip on his shoulder.

Most of his outdoor skills he gain through hunting which he loves to do. It is the mindless meetings and deal making that he tries to affod whenever possibkle.

Also the main reason for this is the ability for barbarians to not wear armor and my character loves his fine clothes (so much he goes into a rage whenever they are torn or get blood on them).

So my thpoughts are human tank style build, no armor but he will probably pick up a shield when pressed.
Last edited September 28, 2023 6:23 pm
Sep 28, 2023 6:46 pm
I am interested in playing.

I would play a wood-elf rogue.
She was an orphan from Zhentil Keep. None of the people in Zhentil Keep cared much about a stray wood-elf child. And so she was easily recruited at young age by the Zhentarim and trained to kill.

When she was send on her first mission, she was set to plot to kill one of the few childhood friends she had.
So instead, she ran. Escaped the Zhents, fled to Phlan and now needs to make a living with her skills.

Background would probably be Urchin.
Last edited September 28, 2023 6:47 pm
Sep 28, 2023 7:11 pm
Sounds like fun! I would love to join. I enjoy playing bards but can whatever to make a rounded group. Or I'm down to a band member/rival/student of ironmonger if they are a bard as well
Last edited September 28, 2023 7:35 pm
Sep 28, 2023 7:22 pm
Would love to give it a try! Keep me in mind for potential invite :)
Sep 28, 2023 7:37 pm
I couldn't get your sheet to work (where is the file button??), so I made a character sheet on this site. Barbarian Noble

I used 27pts in point buying and he got a +1 Con and Str from race and a +1 Dex from his Feat. Should you wonder where all the pluses came from.
Last edited September 28, 2023 7:56 pm
Sep 28, 2023 9:48 pm
I woud like to join the game. I have several character ideas, Dwarf paladin or elf wizard, so am flexible to the needs of the group.
Last edited September 28, 2023 9:50 pm
Sep 28, 2023 11:26 pm
Sounds interesting if you have space for one more. Bard from the Harpers is a touch intriguing.
Sep 28, 2023 11:37 pm
Unfortunately it seems like the demand for 5th edition D&D is greater than I expected, so I'll have to stop the recruitment for now. I'll invite everyone who applied before or posted in this thread, but realistically there are enough people for 2 full groups. You can still roll a character in case some of the players leave for whatever reason. I would also consider having 2 parallel games with 2 parties, but not sure about that - we still know little about multiverse...
Nov 12, 2023 12:36 pm
We've got 2 open spots in the group, feel free to apply with your characters! The adventure progressed only up to 2/5 of the first module and we're still on level 1, so you haven't missed much. I'll prioritize characters from Zhentarim or Order of the Gauntlet factions because the current group lacks those, but it's not a strict requirement. Feel free to check the Adventure Chronicles thread if you're curious about the story so far.
Last edited November 12, 2023 12:36 pm
Nov 12, 2023 5:09 pm
I'm going to apply with a new AL character as an Order of the Gauntlet representative. I'm rolling up the PC randomly; so far, it's a half-orc rogue!
Nov 12, 2023 8:14 pm
I would like to apply with a Zhentarim human wizard. A bit of an unpredictable hothead who seeks power and prestige and is willing cross many moral lines to achieve it.
Dec 10, 2023 5:01 pm
Hi friends, checking here to see if you could still use another player. If so, Iā€™d love an opportunity to apply and play with you.
Jan 8, 2024 8:52 pm
Got another spot for 1-2 players. I'll prioritize characters with Zhentarim background, but anyone can apply of course. We're still playing the first adventure, so the campaign has barely been started yet.
Jan 9, 2024 12:55 am
I'd like to pitch Promise, a tiefling wizard. Abandoned by her human parents who couldn't abide her "deformities" she found her way into an apprenticeship with a Zhentarim affiliated wizard. She recently had a falling out with her former mentor, but some of his associates have helped her get to Phlan where they believe she can be useful to the organization and find her own path.
Jan 9, 2024 1:02 am
Sounds like a plan Pixelated Pixie Princess.
Jan 16, 2024 11:38 am
Hello, any seats left, and what kind of character would you need to round out the team? I've been a player/GM for over 40 years and love the play by post format. Please let me know.
Jan 16, 2024 5:41 pm
If there are any slots still available, I have in mind a half orc fighter in rank and file service of the Zhent army.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.