[Recruiting] SciFi PbtA (Starscape) "one-shot"

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Nov 12, 2023 10:30 am
I would personally suggest one, and then when thats off the ground a second one for first time. I know I've done the 'oh I'll just do two games' and then was unable to manage. You might be though :P

I definitely get the 'I want everyone to be able to play'

I'm happy to sit out for now. While really want to play I have a lot of games so happy for those with less to get one.
Last edited November 12, 2023 10:30 am
Nov 12, 2023 10:33 am
That feels like really solid advice, @LightOfMidnight - and just remembered I'm running a week of in-person training in a couple of weeks time that is always really tiring. So yes, better not to overload. And will then hopefully ramp up to a second game later on.

Really appreciate your support and help there, @LightOfMidnight.
Nov 12, 2023 10:44 am
I just did something similar with a D&D 5e game. I had so many applicants and I didn't want to turn anyone away, so now I'm running two games with the same basic premise.
Nov 12, 2023 11:03 am
I think running smaller games (than live) works well in PbP, but most people still take an extra player or two since it’s likely someone will drop out at some point (some people still believe in real life 🤷)

Promised bowl I’d be working on a different game and I can already feel her virtually judging me, so if you have too many players I can wait for the second round of this.
Last edited November 12, 2023 11:04 am
Nov 12, 2023 11:12 am
As a player/GM who now largely does PbP, I'd strongly recommend one game at a time if you're new to PbP. It's awesome that you've got an overwhelming response, but I think the players will understand if you pace yourself in order to give yourself some time to find your posting rhythm.
Nov 12, 2023 11:14 am
I second taking an extra player or two, since it’s likely someone will drop out at some point. If you wanna play with a minimum of 3 the whole session, starting with 5 is a good advice. :)

GMing two games with the same set of rules and the same plot hooks/adventure is way simpler than two completely distinct games.

But 2 games will take more time and effort compared to a single one, of course.
Nov 12, 2023 11:18 am
I will warn in the take an extra player or so.. There is no guarantee that happens and you could get overwhelmed/end up with more players than planned.

Again had that happen. I like 4 player games but keep taking extra out of guilt :p So now instead going for the recruit when one drops out instead.

Again not saying don't just warning you don't rely on a drop out. As equally as drop outs happen a lot of players are very solid with sticking with their games.

A lot of people I've seen reply here have been around for a while.
Nov 12, 2023 11:25 am
I would also recommend starting with one game and once that is running and you know whether you have capacity for a second, only then to start a second one. Best not to get overwhelmed as you begin.

And as I said on Discord, with so much interest, I'm happy to step back for someone else who is in fewer games than I am.
Nov 12, 2023 11:25 am
Quote:
A lot of people I've seen reply here have been around for a while.
Actually, now that I really see who replied to this thread... Yeah, Light is right. A lot of us have been around for a while. And we are in a couple of other games as well. =)

So I can also step back, it would be fair for those with less games.

But it may be an advantage for you to keep precisely those that stepped back in your first game, for the same reasons. Anyway, I'm starting to contradict myself and that's confusing, so let me stop. =)
Last edited November 12, 2023 11:38 am
Nov 12, 2023 11:34 am
Thanks all so much for your help and support here. I guess you already noticed, but it's an unusually supportive, friendly, welcoming part of the Internet that's been created here. Feel lucky to be here with you all!

Combining the advice and ideas above, I'm going to go with a single game for now, and I'll invite four players. And once that is hopefully going well and I feel I have a better judge of my capacity, the effort involved, I'll aim to run another similar game - and will ping all the others who expressed interest here when I do that.

I'll send out invitations later today to @timplausible @JoshuaMabry @RageRed and @htech. Thanks all, again, so much for your support and interest. Look forward to playing with you all soon!
Nov 12, 2023 12:21 pm
Happy gaming! You said it's public, right? So I might check in and take a look once you're up and running.
Nov 12, 2023 12:32 pm
Thanks for including me. This is going to be fun.
Nov 12, 2023 6:25 pm
Good luck, BeardHare! Cool-looking game, and yeah, nice to see all the support and positive advice here! (I second it all; start with one game, keep the group tight / manageable.)
Last edited November 12, 2023 6:52 pm
Nov 12, 2023 6:49 pm
Congrats on running your first game!

I’m also interested if you’re still taking names.
Last edited November 12, 2023 6:55 pm
Nov 12, 2023 6:56 pm
Thank you, @aegis! I've decided to run just one game, with four players - when that goes well, will get back in touch with other people who've shown interest and hopefully run a few more :)
Nov 12, 2023 7:23 pm
Sounds good. Keep me on the list?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.