[FULL] A Cthulhu Dark Camping Scenario

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCDPrivate1 / dayRoachtrout
You are travellers on a road trip in eastern Finnish countryside in late august. The sun is setting and you are in the middle of nowhere nearby a swamp and forest when your car starts acting up. You see adds for a log cabin camping site near the road. The adds seem dated and when you pull your car over the side road and walk the rest of the way you see that the camping site is even more so. Crumbling, rusty, dated, old and probably built around the 80’s. It’s quiet but gladly you see a lantern lit up on a porch of a small barrack. On the porch there is a kiosk counter with dated ice cream adds and next to it a carved wooden bear statue that holds a sign: "Iilves Camping - Reception". 

Maybe someone is here and can help you?

RULES:

Most actions we negotiate by situation. I can also call luck rolls for uncertain things. In a risky situation you may roll 1d6 if the thing you are doing is humanly possible or 2d6 if it's something that relates to your occupation or other advantage. You count the highest die. On a high roll you do well, on a low roll you barely succeed or suffer the risk. I'll frame the stakes before rolling.

If you encounter something shaking, terrifying or otherworldly, you roll your insanity with one d6. Rolling higher than the current insanity level (starting at 1) adds 1 to your insanity level and you roleplay how it affects you.

Physical wounds will be handled narratively and getting wounded will affect your possible actions.

Dec 9, 2023 9:58 am
You are travellers on a road trip in eastern Finnish countryside in late august. The sun is setting and you are in the middle of nowhere nearby a swamp and forest when your car starts acting up. You see adds for a log cabin camping site near the road. The adds seem dated and when you pull your car over the side road and walk the rest of the way you see that the camping site is even more so. Crumbling, rusty, dated, old and probably built around the 80’s. It’s quiet but gladly you see a lantern lit up on a porch of a small barrack. On the porch there is a kiosk counter with dated ice cream adds and next to it a carved wooden bear statue that holds a sign: "Iilves Camping - Reception". 

Maybe someone is here and can help you?

This is a call for players for a small Cthulhu Dark horror scenario. I’m Finnish myself and thought it exotic (and horrific XD) to set the scenario in my homeland. Regardless of your origin you are playing international travellers. A family, a group of friends, exchange students, even colleagues - you can decide. I run a lot of games but this is my first game as a GM on Gamer’s Plane. I like a rules minimalistic FKR / Ultralight play style. Scetch a character and we play to find out what happens.

System of choice is Cthulhu Dark - you can describe your character anyway you want but keep it simple.

Post frequency and game length: 4 - 6 posts a week, the game is a short scenario, maybe 2 months but we’ll see :D

Safety: This is a horror scenario and there is some expected violence, cruelty and nastyness. No explicit sexual scenes, if it occurs at all sex scenes can happen behind veils. The table is friendly to any minorities, marginalized groups and LGBT+ players / characters.
Feel free to use an X -card by sending a message of X (preferably with an explanation) to the game forum or to me personally, we can rewind and reiterate a scene if need be.

Please note that English is not my native tongue - if something is unclear, we’ll clarify.

To enroll, drop a line here!
For this one I think 4 players will be a maximum, I will run it for a minimum of 2. I will try to answer questions to the best of my ability.
Last edited December 15, 2023 4:05 am
Dec 9, 2023 10:09 am
Argh am currently at my limit for games here but wish I could join this one...! Looked through Cthulu Dark a while ago and really liked how rules-lite it is... Wishing you a lot of scary fun together!
Dec 9, 2023 10:11 am
BeardHare says:
Argh am currently at my limit for games here but wish I could join this one...! Looked through Cthulu Dark a while ago and really liked how rules-lite it is... Wishing you a lot of scary fun together!
Thanks! I know the feeling :) I think CD is brilliant, you should try it sometime! Happy gaming to you too!
Last edited December 9, 2023 10:12 am
Dec 9, 2023 12:19 pm
This does sound really tempting, though I'm also near enough my limit that I probably shouldn't join. If I was smart. Would we need access to the rulebook? I haven't looked at Cthulhu Dark yet and don't have the book.
Dec 9, 2023 12:55 pm
bowlofspinach says:
This does sound really tempting, though I'm also near enough my limit that I probably shouldn't join. If I was smart. Would we need access to the rulebook? I haven't looked at Cthulhu Dark yet and don't have the book.
No need to look up anything, it's extremely simple and the rules just fall to the background.

Here's how I'm running it in a nutshell:

Most actions we negotiate by situation. I can also call luck rolls for uncertain things. In a risky situation you may roll 1d6 if the thing you are doing is humanly possible or 2d6 if it's something your character is good at. You count the highest die. On a high roll you do well, on a low roll you barely succeed or suffer the risk. I'll frame the stakes before rolling. If you encounter something shaking, terrifying or otherworldly, you roll your sanity with one d6. Rolling higher than the current sanity level (starting at 1) adds 1 to your insanity level and you roleplay how it affects you.
Dec 9, 2023 1:00 pm
Okay, that sounds pretty easy.
If you need me to round out the group, I'm in. Otherwise, please give other people with fewer games priority on this :)
Dec 9, 2023 1:04 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Okay, that sounds pretty easy.
If you need me to round out the group, I'm in. Otherwise, please give other people with fewer games priority on this :)
Good to know, thank you for the interest!
Dec 9, 2023 1:14 pm
Interested, please. I have a copy of the Cthulhu Dark pdf and I am curious to see it in action.
Dec 9, 2023 1:58 pm
Dr_B says:
Interested, please. I have a copy of the Cthulhu Dark pdf and I am curious to see it in action.
Brilliant! Welcome to the game!
Dec 9, 2023 5:00 pm
Very interested to play. Have played CoC quite a lot, using different game systems, and can keep the pace of posting. Am in Pacific time zone. Please pop my name in the hat.
Dec 9, 2023 7:26 pm
I'm interested. I have the hardback of Cthulhu Dark.
Here's the early version .pdf for those curious.
Dec 9, 2023 8:01 pm
Would've loved to have tried this out, particularly for the setting, but I'm definitely full up on games. Have fun, everyone!
Dec 9, 2023 8:17 pm
Very interested, I’ve played a Cthulhu one shot on here before and it was one of my more memorable games. Would love to play if you have room.
Dec 10, 2023 6:50 am
No offense to the Chaosium crowd, but awesome to see some other Cthulhu games get some love. Cthulhu Dark is a sweet little game.
Dec 10, 2023 9:48 am
Drakis2 says:
Very interested to play. Have played CoC quite a lot, using different game systems, and can keep the pace of posting. Am in Pacific time zone. Please pop my name in the hat.
Great, you're in!
Dec 10, 2023 9:51 am
Rabbits says:
I'm interested. I have the hardback of Cthulhu Dark.
Here's the early version .pdf for those curious.
Hey thanks for sharing! I'm also using the early version it seems. It's been on my hard drive for about 3 years by now, I don't even have the bigger book.

And yeah, welcome to the game!
Dec 10, 2023 9:52 am
Dsquid says:
Very interested, I’ve played a Cthulhu one shot on here before and it was one of my more memorable games. Would love to play if you have room.
Nice, welcome!
Dec 10, 2023 9:58 am
It seems like we have 4 players now, so I think we're good to go!

I've got to figure out how to make a game forum here XD
Dec 10, 2023 10:33 am
Okay I have created a Game Forum for us and sent invites!
Dec 14, 2023 7:28 pm
Hi I saw that you still had recruiting up. Just curious to know if you have any more spots available? I'm new to this system and was hoping to find a game lol.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.