[FULL] Madagast Circus Adventures-D&D 5e

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPrivate4 / weekSeck
The Game: D&D 5e (Loosely based on the Mystara setting)
Post Frequency: Post 3-4 times/week.
Game Duration: Ongoing.
Character Starting Level: 4
Open to all player experience levels.

The Start
The circus ship made it to Ierendi Island without incident. No pirates, no local authority spot checks, just smooth sailing to port. This is good news because the troupe has been sailing for days, no stops, no performances. The animals and troupe will appreciate this special engagement in Ierendi. Because they will be in port for a week, all will get an opportunity to stretch their legs and give many performances.

Madagast Circus--your circus--is scheduled to perform for a very special event, The Royal Tournament of Adventurers, the annual festival conducted regularly on Ierendi to choose the next King and Queen of the Island Kingdom. The King and Queen are chosen every year through this tournament, with the winners of the male and female divisions taking the throne.

Though Ierendi has a King and Queen, the real business of running the kingdom is done by the Ierendi Tribunal, a cabinet of representatives from the most influential aristocratic families in Ierendi. The King and Queen are mere figureheads. As of yet, the King and Queen of Ierendi have not ever actually been married to each other.

Beside the tournament itself, the festival consists of a week long celebration. Different curiosities and wonders are brought to the island from many lands to entertain all who attend.

Madagast Circus is one of these wonders. Your troupe's ringleader, Master Ganesh Madagast, is mysterious man of great renown and honor. In all the lands he brings you to, he never seems to have a shortage of connections or acquaintances about. He also seems to be willing to provide favors for just causes and sometimes is encountered by someone who he has an old debt to repay. Your ringleader's dealings sometimes result with your troupe getting involved in some ordeal. Luckily Ganesh has never got you into trouble you haven't been able to get out of.

Apparently the festivities have already begun with some port fireworks for the incoming guests.
https://i.imgur.com/JUlXXfA.jpg

The ship makes it to port just at dusk. But there is no immediate rest for your experienced troupe. All snap to work. The ship is prepared and the tent is raised in a matter of four hours. Hopefully tomorrow's first show will go as practiced and planned with no unexpected circumstances in this generally peaceful tropical island kingdom...Fingers crossed!

https://i.imgur.com/LogLPFQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SoZAac9.jpg

The Games Content
This game is focussed around the exploits of a traveling circus troupe. It will be something like a tv series where in each 'episode' the troupe rolls (or sails) into town to put on a show and somehow gets involved with helping someone or solving some sort of problem there. Eventually, of course, the troupe 'solves the case' so to speak and has to move on to the next town.

Post Frequency and Game Longevity
Let's aim for 3-4 posts per week. Sometimes, I'm sure, things will be intense and we will be excited about seeing a particular situation through and we'll post more than that. Other times any of us may get busy and only be able to post once a week. All I say is let's touch base if we get busy just to make sure everyone knows we are still involved. On the flip side if someone is feeling pressure because we start posting too much, just speak up and we'll slow down the pace. No worries either way.

Each 'episode' will be basically a stand alone adventure and we won't be trying hard to create any ongoing plots...but try not as we may, that may just happen by accident, who knows.

How to Apply
I am looking for the game to have up to 4 players total. (A circus troupe theme could definitely accommodate more players, but I think play by post can get cumbersome with lots of players). At the moment, the game has an opening for one or two new players.

Everyone is welcome here.

I you would like to apply just post a character idea along with a short backstory in the recruitment thread.

Dec 11, 2023 12:01 am
If you are interested, please post your character idea here with a short backstory. You can elaborate the backstory once you are invited into the game.

And also feel free to ask any questions about the concept here.
Last edited December 14, 2023 4:28 am
Dec 11, 2023 5:09 am
I'm imagining a firedancer, (wildfire druid).
I'll start on the background story when I have read up on the setting
https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-21-2016/MxkvDz.gif

Its usefull to have some on a wooden ship who can control fire

Question: Are the player characters from the Ierendi Isles or from elsewhere?
Last edited December 11, 2023 11:16 am
Dec 11, 2023 6:49 am
Fire-dancing/Fire Eating Dragon Monk present and accounted for Ringmaster Madagast. Took me a minute though.
Dec 11, 2023 7:21 am
Acrobatic Trapeze and Silk Performer, Rogue Scout also standing ready to perform.
Dec 11, 2023 1:11 pm
JamaisVu says:
Fire-dancing/Fire Eating Dragon Monk present and accounted for Ringmaster Madagast. Took me a minute though.
Wonderful JamaisVu. I see you accepted the invite and are in. Yay! You can submit your character.
Dec 11, 2023 1:12 pm
RageRed says:
Acrobatic Trapeze and Silk Performer, Rogue Scout also standing ready to perform.
You are also in RageRed. Go ahead and submit your character too!
Dec 11, 2023 1:39 pm
runekyndig says:

Definitely true that having someone on the ship who can control fire is smart! JamaisVu's character is a firedancer too, but it is cool that her character is a monk while you are going wildfire druid. Can't have too many firedancers about for the spectacle of the show after all.

Answer: I don't imagine that the circus troop characters are all from Ierendi (maybe some are though). Rather they are a rag-tag group--each with special talents recognized by Madagast--from all over the Known World. Each troupe member's story is unique but most are orphans, outcasts, wanderers, etc taken in by Madagast and the troupe has become a tight-knit family.

There is alot of information on online about Mystara as it's one of the oldest D&D settings. Mystara Guide on Vaults of Pandius. Your character could originally be from anywhere you like.

Also, I'll use the information on fan websites like Vaults of Pandius or from the original TSR published Gazatteers loosely to suit our needs.
Dec 11, 2023 4:23 pm
Not to overextend myself, but if there's need of any more characters I do have an idea for a knife thrower that would fit a circus troupe quite well.
Dec 11, 2023 4:36 pm
MaJunior says:
Not to overextend myself, but if there's need of any more characters I do have an idea for a knife thrower that would fit a circus troupe quite well.
Holy Moly! You are in a lot of games. Wowza! That's up to you to decide if you can take on more.

Give your character idea for this game a further pitch with a backstory here if you would like too.
Dec 11, 2023 4:45 pm
To be fair, like half are either on hiatus or very, very slow.
Dec 11, 2023 5:38 pm
Seck says:
runekyndig says:

Definitely true that having someone on the ship who can control fire is smart! JamaisVu's character is a firedancer too, but it is cool that her character is a monk while you are going wildfire druid. Can't have too many firedancers about for the spectacle of the show after all.

Answer: I don't imagine that the circus troop characters are all from Ierendi (maybe some are though). Rather they are a rag-tag group--each with special talents recognized by Madagast--from all over the Known World. Each troupe member's story is unique but most are orphans, outcasts, wanderers, etc taken in by Madagast and the troupe has become a tight-knit family.

There is alot of information on online about Mystara as it's one of the oldest D&D settings. Mystara Guide on Vaults of Pandius. Your character could originally be from anywhere you like.

Also, I'll use the information on fan websites like Vaults of Pandius or from the original TSR published Gazatteers loosely to suit our needs.
Thank you for the answer, but I withdraw my application.
runekyndig sent a note to Seck
Dec 11, 2023 6:37 pm
runekyndig okay. Thank you for letting me know. Have fun on GP and see you around.
Last edited December 11, 2023 6:39 pm
Dec 11, 2023 6:38 pm
MaJunior says:
To be fair, like half are either on hiatus or very, very slow.
Fair enough. Toss your idea in some more :)
Dec 11, 2023 7:12 pm
Quick question: How long has the troupe been together?

I'm thinking of an otherwise average human who grew up with the troupe. Both his parents are/were (now retired?) a part of the circus. He was born with the carnies, and he stayed with the carnies. One of his parents was a whiz with thrown weapons, and he's been working to carry on the act.

Keeping this one rather simple. :)

Mechanically, I'm thinking Variant Human Battlemaster. Use darts for his weapon (throwing spikes essentially... they do 1d4, gotta be on par with daggers -- not those little things we toss in bars), he can combine Thrown Weapons and Sharpshooter along with battlemaster maneuvers to accurately throw his spikes. Bump up acrobatics and performance along with the Entertainer background (Gladiator variant maybe?) and he should be a respectable showman.
Dec 11, 2023 8:51 pm
My idea; the Fortune Teller who also is a clown. (Divination Wizard). If someone drops out or doesn't show please consider me. Race: probably half-elf.
Last edited December 12, 2023 3:21 am
Dec 11, 2023 9:03 pm
Quote:
My idea; the G---- Fortune Teller
Hey, just to point it out to you. I know it's not as widely known with this term as with some others, but that word is considered a slur and should not be used. I'd appreciate if you could remove it from your post. Thank you!
Dec 11, 2023 9:32 pm
bowlofspinach says:

Hey, just to point it out to you. I know it's not as widely known with this term as with some others, but that word is considered a slur and should not be used. I'd appreciate if you could remove it from your post. Thank you!
Romani (AFAIK the proper real-world term) is a term for people originally from a particular region in the real world though... what would the D&D equivalent term be?

Asking out of genuine curiosity.
Dec 11, 2023 9:45 pm
I actually thought about that as well when I posted in here. I'd probably just describe the character as a "mystical fortune teller" for these purposes. People will still know what you mean, I'm pretty sure.
And it's not like the other term doesn't reference real people, so that issue isn't really unique to using Roma or Romani. I don't have a perfect answer (and I'm sorry, Seck, I wasn't planning to hijack this thread for a big dicussion). I just know that it's a term that is widely disliked by the group it refers to and so I think it's best to avoid it.
Dec 11, 2023 9:53 pm
I always thought... um... "The G word" was equal parts people and lifestyle? I know I've seen it used to describe an itinerant lifestyle without being tied to the Romani people except at most by an (perceived) association.

Not that that makes it all ok, of course.

Perhaps that's the answer though? Describe your fortune teller as itinerant? (Or wandering, nomadic, vagabond, etc.?)

Anywho, back to your regularly scheduled recruiting thread!
Dec 12, 2023 12:40 am
I believe in the Mystara setting the traveling people based on Romani are the Davine.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.