Chapter 2A: Ironsides

load previous
Jan 2, 2024 4:48 pm
OK, here's Hank's roll.
OOC:
Honestly, I just thought we'd have to worry about an extra day getting there, not smashing into it ...

Rolls

Hank Heron: Co-Pilot DC12 - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Jan 2, 2024 4:49 pm
OOC:
Smashing is much more interesting!
Jan 5, 2024 11:25 am
OOC:
It's been 3 days, so I'm rolling for Jil to keep this thread moving
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Celestial Voyager's passenger shuttle, in a escape trajectory from Draco I

The shuttle hurtled towards the orbital station, its hull shuddering from the strain of the rapid maneuver. Jil, with beads of sweat forming on her forehead, wrestled with the controls to realign their trajectory.
Gabe, glancing at the station through the viewport, shouted, "We need to bleed off more speed!"
https://i.imgur.com/7JaZxj3.jpg
Hank, hands flying across the console, initiated emergency thruster bursts to counteract the velocity. The crew felt the gravitational forces, a little above what the grav plates could nullify, as the shuttle executed a series of sharp maneuvers, narrowly avoiding collision with the orbital station.
Suddenly, the portside view was a blur of metallic structure. Alarms continued to wail, echoing the urgency of their situation and then abruptly stopped. Jil, with steely determination, finally managed to bring the shuttle under control, the vessel now slowing down but still overshooting the intended point.

As they moved away from the station, she reported, "Sir, we've slowed down, but we overshot the docking coordinates. We need to circle back and try again."

Gabe was visibly very angry. Controlling himself, he nodded, "Do it! And this time, let's aim for a smoother approach. We don't want to attract even more attention than we already did."

The crew braced themselves as the shuttle executed a graceful turn, aligning once again with the orbital station. Jil, now with a cautious touch, guided the vessel towards the docking port. The crew could feel the subtle hum of the engines as they approached for a second attempt, hoping that this time their entry would be met with a less tumultuous reception.

In the meantime, Gabe furiously worked on the shuttle's computer, frowning while he did so.

"I'm sorry, Jilโ€ฆ" - he said, at last - "I thought you were being completely incompetent and suicidal with your navigation. When people miss their calculations, we usually take longer, but we don't smash into the station. Space is huge and the odds are impossibly low for that to be a mistake. But it was not your fault, it seems like our nav computer was sabotaged before we left the Celestial. Somebody is trying to kill us. I know that's a serious accusation, so, Hank, please double check it, I will point you to the logs."
OOC:
Gimme a Computers, DC10, Hank. I told you that "Smashing is much more interesting"! =D

Rolls

Jilandra (Jil) Broadenspec: Piloting DC12 - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Jan 5, 2024 2:12 pm
Alarmed, Skeeve checks the logs carefully while Jil brings us back. I am going to assume that since we have some time while we turn around, he isn't hurried, so he takes a very careful and deliberate approach. (Hopefully this gives modifiers if I miss but am close.)

Rolls

Hank Heron: Computer DC10 - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Jan 5, 2024 2:37 pm
During Gabe's outburst Jil felt her face tighten in anger but years in the Navy trained her to keep quiet in a crisis.

She focuses on piloting, aiming to prove herself at least competent.
OOC:
Sorry for missing the roll, I haven't been very well. Its an annoying way to start the year.
Jan 5, 2024 3:35 pm
OOC:
If it's any consolation, everyone I know has been battling through some kind of sickness this holiday season. It's just been awful!

I hope you get well soon!
Last edited January 5, 2024 3:36 pm
Jan 5, 2024 10:45 pm
OOC:
Don't worry! I hope you get well soon!

Like I said in the recruitment thread, I wait 3 days for a post, or more if it's a holiday or people let us know, but I move on after that because of the other players... But just enough to keep the game going.

As soon as you are able to post again, you can catch up and continue the game without any problems.
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Celestial Voyager's passenger shuttle, approaching Draco I orbital station

The crew let out collective breaths as the shuttle approached the docking port with controlled finesse.

As they docked, the metallic clang echoed through the shuttle, signifying a successful connection. The crew unstrapped themselves, a mixture of relief and anticipation in their eyes. Hank confirmed that somebody reprogrammed the nav computer for a collision. They will need the Celestial Voyager's shuttle bays camera to double check and try to pin down

"Let's wait before we say anything unusual to the Celestial Voyager. Our communication could be intercepted."

Double checking what happened, Jil coud also see that she, in fact, missed the sabotage. A little distracted with the Elder's research, she ploted the course, checked the sensor readings, checked her own inputs and let it go. But she didn't double check the results.

To simplify things and make it easier to explain what really happened, she realized that the nav computer told her that 1+1=5 and she confirmed the course. Her input (the 1) and her current position (the other 1) were both correct, so Jil didn't expect for the nav computer to consider all the correct data but mess with it and put her in a collision course (the 5).
OOC:
This is Jil's real failure on that roll.
OOC:
Do you wanna do something before leaving the shuttle? Moreover, please describe what you brought with you in your next post, if anything unusual. Weapons and armor are totally illegal here, so if you don't describe anything, I will assume just clothing and personal belongings, enough for a couple of days in the station.
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Draco I orbital station

Stepping onto Draco I's orbital station, they were greeted by the sterile hum of life support systems and the distant echo of station personnel going about their duties.

Following signs and lights, they navigated through the labyrinthine corridors of the starport, passing by rows of cargo containers and the occasional group of traders fervently haggling over goods.

Approaching the customs and immigration checkpoint, Gabe presented the necessary documentation. The customs official, a stern-faced figure in uniform, scrutinized the paperwork with a practiced eye. Hank and Jil stood nearby, ready to answer any questions that might arise.

"Please state your port of origin and business in Draco I," instructed the customs official.

"We are an ITC registered, free merchant starship crew from New Jordan. We are looking to purchase supplies and replacement parts," answered the first officer.

"Are you selling anything?" queried the customs official.

"No, sir, not this time."

"Okay. You don't have the necessary authorization to sell anything. Infringement will result in perpetual jail or indentured service in the tungsten mines. Here are your papers and buying authorizations. You have ten days to leave the planet. Infringement will lead to incarceration or indentured service in the iron mines."

"Understood, sir,"
Gabe replied, a hint of nervousness in his tone.

The crew, now with the necessary authorizations, proceeded into the station, ready to navigate the challenges of trade and the shadows that loomed on the rocky planet.

As they moved through the station, Gabe glanced at Hank and Jil. "Do you have any idea of our next steps? I didn't expect that and I am not fully aware of the planetary laws."
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 6, 2024 4:11 am
The first thing we're gonna do when we leave our shuttle is lock it. Have you ever watched The Mandalorian? Dude leaves his stuff with doors open everywhere. So sloppy. (Still loved the first season anyway.)

Well, since there are no weapons or armor, he's just taking his clothes, datapad, shuttle keys (unless that's all biometric), and whatever we do for wallets (with his id and payment cards). I assume we also have comm devices that will allow us to communicate with each other.

As part of his pre-arrival prep, I assume we have some names of sources for the parts we need. If we don't, we'll have to figure out how to legally connect to the local datanet and find some. Considering that Hank isn't interested in working in anyone's mines, he's interested in not pissing off any authorities and getting back outta here. So, shopping trip!

"The data library we have mention an Inhotep Emporium and a Spritely Sprockets as places we should be able to find our parts. Let's look up where they are and see what we can find."

Hank also suggests that it probably isn't a good idea to either split up or to get drunk. This place is just dripping with "don't get Shanghai'ed" vibes. (If you have so many mines that each are coded to specific crimes, there are likely people paid to find "new recruits".)
Jan 7, 2024 12:29 am
OOC:
Yup. I am a Star Wars fan. Even GMed a SW RPG game here in Gamersplane before this one.

Okay. You have all the requested equipment, including the comms and keys (its biometric plus electronic key, cause you never know).

And you're right about the recruitment team, so be careful ;)
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Inhotep Emporium, Draco I orbital station

The Inhotep Emporium, a dimly lit and cramped store within the station, greeted the crew with the eclectic scent of various minerals and electronic components. Shelves were stacked high with gadgets and machinery, and a metallic chime announced their arrival as the automatic door slid open.

Jil, Hank, and Gabe navigated through narrow aisles, their eyes scanning the shelves for the elusive Quantum Flux Compression Coils and other essential components on their list. A hushed hum of negotiations and the occasional clatter of falling tools filled the air as they moved deeper into the store.

Hank approached a wiry shopkeeper with a pair of spectacles perched on the edge of his nose. "Excuse me, we're in need of Quantum Flux Compression Coils, Neutrino Capacitor, Universal Interface Screws, Graviton Stabilizers, Flux Harmonizer Chips, and Bio-Regenerative Life Support Filters."

The shopkeeper raised an eyebrow, sizing up the crew. "Not everyday purchases, I see. You're from off-world, aren't you?"

Gabe nodded, "That's correct. We're the crew of an ITC registered vessel, and we need these components for essential repairs."

"Ah, registered vessel, you say?"
The shopkeeper's tone softened, "Duke Voss doesn't often allow outsiders to make such purchases. You must have the appropriate papers."

Gabe cleared his throat, "Yes. We had to go through customs and here are the authorizations, but we're on a tight schedule. Can you help us find these items quickly?"

The shopkeeper hesitated for a moment before nodding, "Follow me."

They weaved through narrow aisles, the shopkeeper expertly navigating the labyrinth of goods. After what felt like a scavenger hunt, they reached a dusty corner where the required components were neatly arranged.

"Quantum Flux Compression Coils, Neutrino Capacitor, Universal Interface Screws, Graviton Stabilizers, Flux Harmonizer Chips, and Bio-Regenerative Life Support Filters," the shopkeeper listed, pointing to each item and their requested amounts.

Gabe sighed in relief, "Perfect. How much for everything?"

The shopkeeper punched numbers into a vintage-looking terminal. "Considering the rarity and Duke Voss's taxes, it'll be 1,500 credits. I also have a couple of items more that we can sell. Here is the list:"
Trading with Jeff Smith,Inhotep Emporium, Draco I

Good Purchase price (per ton) Galactic (base) price (per ton)Available (in tons)
Food supplies 1,100 1,0006d60
Celestial Voyager replacement parts 1,500 1,272All the requested units (0 tons)
Starship armor plates (metallic laminates)56,000 80,0004d10
Heatshield 73,600 80,0004d10
High grade steel plates 3,950 5,0003d100
Platinum ingots 16,800 20,0005d6
Uranium (enriched)920,0001,000,0002d6
Frozen Shrimp 4,5204,0002d10
Air/raft parts (1 ton = 20% of a vehicle) 54,00050,0001d20

"Would you like something else or just the parts?"
OOC:
If you wanna negotiate further discounts, here are the DCs. Please choose the product and discount before you roll. As always, there are some consequences for failure, so if you just wanna accept the initial prices, no need to roll.

2% Broker DC10
5% Broker DC15
10% Broker DC20
12% Broker DC25

What do you do?
Jan 7, 2024 12:59 am
OOC:
Ok, got a couple questions first:

1) We only have "pocket change", correct? So, most of this is out of our range.

2) On that, are the ingots only sold by the ton, or does he sell individual ingots, too?

On the price, Hank will take a calculated decision to eat the markup and accept the price. The markup is annoying, but easily manageable and all of what we need is here. I'll post a proper response after your reply.
Last edited January 7, 2024 1:01 am
Jan 7, 2024 1:15 am
OOC:

1. Yeah. I had some expensive rolls there, those products are random, sorry. Your credits are shown in the Status sheet. You can also engage in speculative trading by using some of the Celestial Voyager's credits. Captain Zaytsev rules are here

2. He can sell you by the kilogram, with some Persuasion rolls. The DC will depend on the product. Worst case for that Persuasion roll, he won't sell you less than a ton. It won't affect prices or the Celestial Voyager replacement parts.
Jan 7, 2024 1:42 am
Hank replies, "We'll take the replacement parts for sure. How do we get them delivered to our shuttle?" He will then pay as indicated.

He then asks, "With that taken care of, do you sell the platinum only by the ton, or do you also sell it by the ingot?"
OOC:
Again, Hank is willing to basically spend 250 credits to get the spare parts right now. Granted it is the first store, but he just wants to take the sure thing.

I'll toss in a Persuasion roll for good measure. I don't know the DC, so it's just a roll.

Rolls

Hank Heron: Persuation - (1d20+0)

(7) = 7

Jan 7, 2024 1:53 am
"I can pack the starship parts into a couple of manageable bags. They're not overly heavy and should be easy for you to carry.

However, when it comes to the platinum, it's a different story. I can offer you a crate containing 100 kg of platinum ingots for 1,700 credits. Or multiple crates, if you have the money and disposition. Keep in mind, though, you'll need to arrange transportation services for the crates, since they're small but quite heavy."
Jan 7, 2024 12:33 pm
Jil keeps an eye out for anything suspicious and is ready to help if needed.

Otherwise she is very happy for Hank to take the lead
OOC:
"The first thing we're gonna do when we leave our shuttle is lock it. " ...made me laugh. So true!

Rolls

Notice - (1d60+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Notice (with a d20 not d60!!) - (1D20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Jan 8, 2024 12:32 am
Hank replies, "Well, as mentioned, we are new around here. How do those services work, and how long do they general take? I am interested, but if it substantially adds to the cost or risk, then it starts to not be worth it."
OOC:
My thoughts on the platinum is that a crate won't take much space, it should be easily convertible either stand-alone, or even broken up, and it is below market rate here. If I (the player) is missing something that Hank would know, please tell me.
Jan 8, 2024 11:22 pm
OOC:
Daryen, you're correct, that's basically it. 100 kg of platinum has a volume slightly larger than 1 US gallon, but weighs 220 pounds. The crate contains some smaller ingots inside.
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Inhotep Emporium, Draco I orbital station

The shopkeeper hesitated for a moment before answering, "Wellโ€ฆ You can hire the Ironsides." He them gave a pamphlet for them:
Ironsides Transportation Services: Reliability in Movement, Strength in Unity

๐Ÿ› ๏ธ Transporting the Future, Together!

Are you in need of swift and secure transportation services within Draco I's orbital station or across the challenging landscape of our rocky planet? Look no further! Ironsides Transportation Services is your trusted partner in moving goods with precision and care.

Why Choose Ironsides:
- Expertise in Heavy Cargo: Our skilled workforce excels in handling heavy loads, ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of valuable cargo.
- Reliability: With a proven track record, Ironsides guarantees timely delivery and meticulous handling of your goods, maintaining the utmost standards of professionalism.
- Seamless Orbital Operations: From loading and unloading starships to maneuvering within the orbital station, we navigate the complexities of space logistics with finesse.
- Strength in Unity: As a proud labor union, Ironsides fosters a strong sense of community among its members, ensuring a dedicated and cohesive workforce.

Our Services:
- Cargo Loading and Unloading
- Freight Transportation Across Draco I and nearby destinations
- Orbital Station Logistics
- Specialized Handling of Heavy and Valuable Cargo

Contact us by calling our Union Office in the Orbital Station: +555-1234

Government-Tolerated, Worker-Empowered: While Ironsides Transportation Services operates with the blessing of the government, we recognize the importance of maintaining a watchful eye on our operations. Rest assured, our commitment to integrity and transparency ensures that every movement aligns with the laws and regulations of Draco I.

Join us in forging a future where reliable transportation meets the strength of unity. Ironsides Transportation Services โ€“ moving Draco forward, one cargo at a time! ๐Ÿš€๐ŸŒŒ
Gabe nodded in agreement. "Let's contact Ironsides. They should have the equipment we need to move these crates without a hassle."

The shopkeeper accessed the orbital station communication system and dialed the contact provided by Ironsides Transportation Services. A gruff voice answered on the other end. "Ironsides Transportation Services. How can we assist you?"

Gabe stepped forward. "Hello, my name is Gabriel Reyes. We need to move a couple of heavy crates of cargo from the Inhotep Emporium to our starship docked at the orbital station. Each weighs about 100 kilograms. Can you provide a grav-sled and some muscle for the job?"

There was a brief pause, then the voice responded, "Aye, we can arrange that. That will be 60 credits per crate. If you accept, expect a grav-sled and a couple of our finest members to meet you at the Emporium in 30 minutes. We'll handle the heavy lifting."
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 9, 2024 8:36 pm
Hank likes the idea. "60 credits per crate sounds good. We'll be here 30 minutes from now. Thank you." He provides whatever info they need for this.

After the arrangements are made, Hank says to Gabe, "I was only planning on getting one crate with my funds. Do you think we should get another with ship's funds?" Once we make a decision, Hank pays for the one or two crates worth of Platinum.

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 10, 2024 12:25 am
"If you wanna borrow some money from the ship, feel free to do that, following our rules.

If you mean buying for us, no need. Valeria is not engaging in speculative trading anymore. Our mission covers all the necessary costs, she will get some of your credits from the shipping rates and use that money for provisions and replacement parts.

Jil, do you wanna buy a platinum crate or anything else for you?"
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
Jan 10, 2024 2:13 am
Hank says, "Then unless Jil wants to join in, it looks like it is just one crate after all."
Jan 10, 2024 3:57 pm
Jil frowns and shakes her head. She is not used to this kind of extracurricular activity.
load next

Thread locked