Chapter 2A: Ironsides

load previous

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 16, 2024 3:27 pm
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
"Well... I see no discrepancies here. It shows nothing unusual, so we will need to check the logs and cameras in the Celestial Voyager's shuttle bays when we get back. We have 3 days until then."
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 16, 2024 10:50 pm
OOC:
I only had a 25% chance of success, unfortunately.
"Well, I guess we are reduced to stewing on it for a couple of days until we get back, unfortunately."

After a bit of time, he does add, "Do you think there are any other systems we should be checking for sabotage?"

Assuming not, during the couple of days, Hank will try a couple different things with the computer logs to confirm nothing can be found. (I assume it can't work, so no rolls are required.) He also spends some time on some other Elder research to keep his mind on other things.
Jan 17, 2024 9:11 am
Jil slips back into her routine of work and exercise. But her mind is pretty restless dwelling on the sabotage and frustrated at their inability to investigate.

As a distraction she offers to teach Gabe and Hank 'Primer' a card game from her home world, gambling for low stakes (Deception & Wits checks maybe?)

Jan 17, 2024 9:52 am
In the following days, the shuttle sailed through the cosmic expanse, carrying with it the weight of the recent sabotage. Hank, determined to get to the bottom of the mysterious interference, delved into the ship's computer logs. His attempts to uncover any traces of tampering proved futile, leaving him frustrated at the seamless cover-up. He was also able to reproduce the tampering, exploiting a security flaw in the shuttle’s systems and understanding exactly what happened. In essence, the logs, that should only be written, could be selectively erased.

Receive +2 XP, Hank, for the failure with the computer plus the downtime rolls

Meanwhile, Jil, restless and eager for answers, sought solace in card games with the crew. In the downtime between games, she directed her energy toward expanding her investigation skills. Utilizing the shuttle's communication and computer systems, she delved into tutorials and guides, learning about advanced techniques in tracing and uncovering hidden trails.
htech sent a note to ImperfectBeing
Receive +2 XP, Jil, for the downtime rolls

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
As the crew gathered for another card game, Gabe observed the dedicated efforts of his team.

"Alright, let's keep at it. We can't let someone sabotage our journey without consequences. We'll figure this out, one way or another."

End of chapter
End of chapter checklist

- Did we earn a profit, either through trading, scavenging, looting or jobs? Yes. Hank's platinum. +3 XP.

- Did we discover something new and interesting about the universe? Yes. Draco I peculiarities and the Ironsides (they will be back). +3 XP

- Did we overcome a difficult challenge or dangerous adversary? Yes. The saboteur. +3 XP
OOC:
@ImperfectBeing and @daryen you have some XP now and, if you have enough, can spend it on the skills listed in the Status sheet. Wanna do so? Please post here and let me double check before you change anything in the character sheet.

Rolls

Hank Heron: Deception DC15, Card game - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Hank Heron: Computer DC20, studying log tampering techniques - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Hank Heron: Academics (Elder) DC15, studies - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jilandra 'Jil' Broadenspec: Deception DC15, card game - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jilandra 'Jil' Broadenspec: Deception DC15, card game - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jilandra 'Jil' Broadenspec: WITS - Untrained check, Investigation DC15 - (1d20+-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Jan 17, 2024 3:14 pm
OOC:
Couple of notes:

For the skill I want Notice-0. Might as well kill the unskilled penalty. I'll bank the rest, as raising any of the others costs too much at the moment.

Do note that Hank paid for the Platinum from his funds, not ship funds. So, his funds need to be adjusted.

And I never thought for a second we wouldn't see Ironsides again. Honestly, I was concerned they would intercept us on our trip back to the Celestial Voyager or even waylay us before we could leave Draco I. But I know they are showing up again at some point!
Hank comes to two completely separate realizations:

1) He now feels kinda guilty for the platinum purchase, since it is pretty much guaranteed to have been dug out by slave labor in the "platinum mines". That's why it was a good deal: they can sell it under list price because it is so inexpensive to mine. They still make huge profits on it. (This is that ineffectual pathetic guilt that makes you feel a little bad, but doesn't change your behavior in any way.)

2) One silver lining to having the logs deleted is that it leaves a "hole" in the overall logs. This should give us a decent guide as to the time period to investigate when we can look at the Celestial Voyager's logs.
Jan 17, 2024 6:36 pm
OOC:
Ok, go ahead. Fixed the credits, thanks!
Hank is probably right on both accounts
Jan 17, 2024 7:50 pm
OOC:
I added the new skill and I completely reordered the skills alphabetically so I can find things more easily. I made sure to work from a printout when I did so!
Jan 18, 2024 5:23 am
With about a day left to get back, while sitting around together, Hank says, "I have a question about the sabotage: Which of us was the target? What is it about one of us that would not only make them a target to be killed, but was so important that it was worth killing the others with them?"
Jan 18, 2024 3:49 pm
After a thoughtful pause Jil replies to Hank.

"Maybe none of us were the target. Whoever did it might have wanted our mission to fail...we were just collateral. Its grim but I've met enough people who don't think twice about murder if they get what they want."

Last edited January 18, 2024 3:54 pm
Jan 18, 2024 4:46 pm
"Fair point. I don't see why getting repair parts would be an issue, though. Oh! Maybe none of that was the point, but maybe Draco I was the target. Maybe we were to be unintentional suicide bombers! Considering how much that place sucks, I could easily see lots of people wanting to attack them."
Last edited January 18, 2024 4:48 pm
Jan 18, 2024 7:09 pm
OOC:
@ImperfectBeing feel free to continue the conversation, but don't forget to tell us about your skills / XP for this chapter (or if you are just going to bank them)
Jan 19, 2024 11:25 am
"That is even more disturbing. We've spent too much time together."

She gives Hank a genuine smile.
OOC:
Please can I increase Notice from 0 to 1 (10xp). Should leave me with 5xp to save
Last edited January 19, 2024 11:27 am
Jan 19, 2024 11:44 am
OOC:
Yup. Go ahead

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 22, 2024 12:43 am
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
Jil had just answered Hank when the communication came through:

"Gabe, this is Douklan Paravides. We found some Separatist mercenaries here on Nocturna who had replaced the regular personnel. They were using the dish here to relay communications between forces on Draco I's northern hemisphere and some vessel in Draco's asteroid belt. Here's the vector they were transmitting on. I'm taking the shuttle to help search the Belt, but you can see that you and Celestial Voyager's shuttle are closer to that part of the Belt than I am. Whether or not that ship has the missing station personnel, we suspect that it's up to no good, and we'd appreciate the help if you, Hank, and Jil are available to give it."

"Understood, Lieutenant. We will redirect to the belt. We will coast towards it, though, as we don't wanna arrive alone, in a small shuttle, in a potentially hostile situation. We will time it to arrive there as the Sentinel does. We should begin scanning earlier though. We will do that as soon as possible."
OOC:
No need to roll this time. See you in Chapter 3
Jan 22, 2024 1:06 am
Hank returns Jill's smile.

He says to Gabe, "This is a pretty dangerous assignment. I hope we can keep a low enough profile. I wonder how much more dangerous this would be if we had that 'almost but not quite smuggling' cargo?"
Jan 22, 2024 1:26 am
After some thought, Hank says to Gabe, "Should we be telling Douklan what happened to us? I know we planned to keep it under wraps until we got back, but this changes the equation some. We can always ask him to sit on it until we get back and can check the logs.

"Also, if this is in any way related, there is one thing a lone ship can do from an asteroid field: throw rocks. Our little shuttle would have been catastrophic if we had hit. Imagine what a bigger rock could do. Also, we can be shot down, but asteroids and comets are usually loosely compacted, so you can't easily just shoot it down. Give it speed, and reaction time could be limited. Get a few going at once, and it can be even more difficult."

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 24, 2024 12:52 am
Yeah. Feel free to talk about it after our rendezvous. We will coordinate with the Sentinel using a tight beam and a secure communication channel when they get nearby.
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

Thread locked