Chapter 2A: Ironsides

Dec 21, 2023 11:05 pm
OOC:
This thread has Jil and Hank as player characters
Trade Era 1235, Day 130

Shuttle bay, Celestial Voyager, Draco system

Hank was in the shuttle bay, efficiently coordinating the preparations. A handful of people, including the ship's chief engineer, helped load and prepare the shuttle for the voyage. The cargo hold was now filled with some food and plenty of empty crates, ready to be loaded with essential replacement parts, supplies and, if possible, any rare goods that Draco I could offer.

Their mission was clear: negotiate with the local suppliers, gather vital resources, and maintain a discreet presence.

A couple of minutes later, with Jil, Hank and Gabe onboard, the shuttle smoothly ascended and departed, leaving the Celestial Voyager behind in the cold silence of space. Inside, the hum of the engines was the only audible sound as Jil expertly guided the vessel towards Draco I's starport. Strapped into their seats for safety, the crew felt nothing, thanks to the fully operational gravitational compensators.

In the cargo hold, crates secured and provisions stowed, the ship's first officer monitored their ETA. The anticipation of negotiations and potential acquisitions hung in the air, while he checked and rechecked Hank's list and the Celestial Voyager's inventory in his datapad.

For the next couple of days, the shuttle pressed on, 3Gs of constant acceleration propelling it forward until the midpoint, where it would flip over and burn an equal amount of reaction mass in the opposite direction, to decrease velocity. With enough fuel for 1 week at 3Gs, Jil was not worried about a couple of days. Thankfully, the compensators and grav-plates worked seamlessly, shielding the crew from the acceleration strain.
OOC:
Jil, gimme a Navigation test DC12, to let us know exactly how long the journey will be.

Either way, it will be a couple of days. What will you and Hank do in the meantime?
Dec 22, 2023 1:09 am
OOC:
Technically speaking, the cargo/passenger shuttle has 3G, not just 2G. Just sayin' ...
I don't know how much opportunity Hank has had before to operate the shuttle, so he is taking the chance to get more familiar with it.

And, since she is new to the crew, he also takes the chance to make some small talk with Jil. He won't push it, but he'll definitely try for some conversation. "So, what brought you to the Celestial Voyager?"
Dec 22, 2023 8:47 am
OOC:
Ops. Fixed the Gs. I saw the specs for the Refuelling one instead of the cargo/passenger. Thanks!
Dec 22, 2023 1:46 pm
Without turning from her monitors Jil answers Hank abruptly.

"I’ve done cargo runs since I left the Navy. I applied for the Celestial Voyager because my last ship was decommissioned."

A silence follows, only interrupted by ever changing rows of green lit numbers on Jils screen. Eventually she turns to face Hank.

"Actually, I do have a personal reason for taking this job. I’ve always wanted to visit an Elder site. Apparently my homeworld contained some ruins but no one could go near them." She barks out a sharp laugh. "No one had clearance to go anywhere on Ulivia Prime. If it wasn’t for the Navy I would have worked and died in the same district I was born. "

With a sullen expression she looks back at her screens to re-check the calculations.

"Professor Stone’s work on the Elder fascinates me. You seem to know her quite well. I heard she lectured at Conitech, is that where you met?" Jil flashes Hank a tight smile. "I noticed a hint of New Jordan in your Tulsoma accent."

Rolls

Navigation DC12 - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Secret Roll

Dec 22, 2023 3:36 pm
OOC:
Oh, I see that you failed that Nav roll... You got 1 XP but things will be interesting when you get close to Draco I. Either way, you have 2.5 days of downtime and blissful ignorance.
Please continue the conversation as much as you wanna and let me know what you gonna do in the next days after that.
htech sent a note to ImperfectBeing
Dec 22, 2023 4:48 pm
OOC:
I am adding a couple details that are meant to be plot hooks you can use or not use as desired. Delete anything inappropriate.
With the initial silence, Hank doesn't push it, so remains quiet himself. He figures that if she's just not a talker, he will respect that.

When she mentions the Elders, that pushes one of his interest buttons, and he responds, "Yeah I know that feeling. I went to university, and after graduation I tried to become a research assistant for elder research, go on a university expedition, and join the explorers to go on an expedition all to no avail. That was really discouraging. Even so, during my time at the university, I was able to examine many artifacts and even got to keep one. After university, I was still able to follow much of the research, so I know quite a bit, but I never got to see a site. It is beyond exciting to find out that the chance just fell into my lap on this!"

To her second question, "Yes, I met her during university. I discovered an attempt at identity theft on her account and went to warn her. She is the reason I got to see those artifacts I mentioned. I was fortunately able to help her a lot during my last year at university, and even informally the year after graduation while I was failing to get on an expedition. I found out later that she has a lot of detractors and I was viewed as being too much 'in her pocket', so was prevented from joining."

He smiles and adds, "Good job on that accent detection."
Dec 22, 2023 4:55 pm
OOC:
Don't need to delete anything. We will keep all that.
Dec 24, 2023 11:38 am
"YOU ACTUALLY OWN AN ELDER ARTIFACT?!" Jil scoffs with disbelief.

Embarrassed by her outburst she looks at Hank and apologizes.

"Sorry. I’ve grown up with Elder ghost stories and conspiracy theories. It’s odd to hear someone talk so casually about them."

Jil relaxes a little in her chair, but her voice turns bitter.

"Back home whenever someone disappeared it wasn’t long until the Elder abduction rumors' started. I had to put up with it myself when my sister went missing a few years ago."

Jil had never really believed the tales surrounding the Elder, but she had to admit the thought of being close to something Elder was suddenly unsettling.

"You didn’t bring it onboard did you?"
OOC:
This is probably the distraction that caused a failed Navigation roll, well done Hank! :-D
Last edited December 24, 2023 11:42 am
Dec 25, 2023 2:45 am
OOC:
Wow! We're "mad-libbing" our way through Elder canon! Cool!

Since Hank knows this stuff to a competent level, I'm going to present his views as what he understands of the academic consensus and where Prof Stone diverges. It is a minor divergence, so she's still quite mainstream. Note that this is just the mainstream knowledge; only the GM knows the actual truth.

One thing I hadn't thought of originally, but Jil just brought up, is superstition. I'll touch on that, too, in the conversation. Hank isn't as versed in that, because academics.

My actual in-character will be after this, but might take me until tomorrow.
Dec 26, 2023 5:52 am
Hank did not expect Jil's reaction to the artifact, and so lets that last question slide, instead addressing her prior comment. "I am so sorry to hear about your sister! I was very fortunate to live on a stable world in a stable family. It is always unnerving to be reminded that I should never take that for granted. How common were 'disappearances' on your home world?"

Hank will work through that part of the conversation first and won't move on or dismiss it until Jil is ready to. (I imagine she will want to move on from it quickly, but he wants her to set the pace for that topic.) Once she does, he'll loop back around to the Elder.

"I have to admit that I am not well versed in the superstitions and conspiracy theories on the Elder. Having studied them in academia, I am more familiar with their arguments and turf wars. Are you familiar at all with the current academic theories on the Elder? It is really quite fascinating how much can be written about how little we know about them."

Depending on her interest, they can then continue to discuss what is known about the Elder. He will also ask her about her home world's beliefs about the Elder, as it sounds like there is a lot he isn't familiar with on that front, and he is genuinely curious. Quite frankly, I figure we could end up spending at least a day talking about the subject, as Hank is more than willing to talk about that subject all day. Gabe would probably be horribly bored, though.

Hank will also spend some time making sure he is familiar with the shuttle's controls and going over the "shopping list". Depending on how the conversation goes, he'll also check his Elder reference material (assuming he has some references on his hand computer) to double-check or look up anything that comes up in the conversation.
Last edited December 26, 2023 5:52 am
Dec 27, 2023 2:24 pm
During the conversation it's clear Jil has no academic understanding of the Elder. Her interest stems from the folklore of her homeworld and a rebellious streak against its strict travel restricts.

"The stories were mostly told to keep children in line. Behave or the Elder take you away! That type of thing. But I will admit there is something unsettling about living on a world that may have been occupied by aliens. Not that I think for one second Lamune, my sister, was taken by them. Its more likely she was hit by a gang or arrested for not carrying her ID card, then assigned to a low-pop district. She was always losing it."

Jil does not ask again about the artifact. But staying on the topic of Elder she asks what drew Hank to study them.
Last edited December 27, 2023 2:28 pm
Dec 27, 2023 7:08 pm
Hank is eager to prattle on about the Elder, but he also doesn't want wear out his welcome, as it were.

"That's still awful that anyone, much less your sister, could have just disappeared. I can't even imagine that just being part of life."

Hank the switches subjects to the Elder. "I was always curious about them. I mean, mysterious aliens, magic-like tech, all of it. But getting into that research is very hard. As it turned out Professor Stone was my entry point into finding real research. My college degree was still around data analytics, but I was able to minor in Elder studies as a result of the Professor. Even though I failed to get in on any expeditions, I still am able to keep tabs on the research and follow up on how things are advancing.

"As far as living on a world that was once occupied by aliens, there is pretty firm consensus that any 'shirt-sleeve world' in this sector is likely that livable because of the Elder. They were all over this sector."

Hank will wait for Jil to show she wants to hear more before diving into more details.
Dec 31, 2023 2:31 pm
"So the Elder were terraformers?"
OOC:
Jil is very interested and so am I 😝. If you want to add anything else about the Elder I’d like to read it. I love the depth things can go to in pbp over a typical rpg. But I dont want to hold up the story progress.

And sorry for the sporadic brief postings. Got lots of things going on over Xmas/new year.
Last edited December 31, 2023 2:34 pm
Dec 31, 2023 5:04 pm
OOC:
I will make a 'summary' post of the conversation and yet somehow not make it an infodump.

As for taking too long, the trip is 2.5 days. We have plenty of time to talk. 😁

And no problem on the slowness. RL always takes precedence.
Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm
OOC:
I got Hank's schedule from a previous post for those 2+ days, but I would like a summary for Jil as well, so I can give you the training rolls/XP for the downtime, when appropriate.

And no problem on the slowness/short posts. RL always takes precedence.
Jan 1, 2024 6:07 am
ImperfectBeing says:
"So the Elder were terraformers?"
Hank replies, "Many think so. I don't know if it is a full consensus or just a sizable minor view, but many believe so. The reason for thinking so is because there are a lot of genetic traces that just don't match up. Plants and animals on the "wrong" planets. Or on multiple planets at all. All present when the ITC first entered space. Plus there just seems to be too many habitable planets in this region of space, which doesn't fit any mathematical models that have been developed." He smiles, continuing, "Not that I can validate any of that. I'm just reporting what has I have read about the subjects. And when anomalies are found, the usual proposed culprit is always the Elder."
OOC:
I am going to also assume Jil asks about the Elder themselves.
Hank says, "That is a big bone of contention. While the installations or cities we have found are remarkably well preserved, they surprisingly don't tell us much. We can deduce the occupants were generally our size, though a few places are built for noticeably larger or smaller occupants. They also appear to have had hands, or something equivalent, based on many of the artifacts that have been found. They were also likely to have been humaniod in shape, based on certain items found (like recognizable chairs). But, despite the artistry and beauty of the installations found, none have included depictions of the occupants. As a result, all that is left is a lot of speculation, however well informed.

"Some think the Elder were actually multiple species that worked together. Each installation seemed to be built for a single type of occupant, but that doesn't preclude some general intermingling. Some think they were a single species that used genetic engineering to differentiate themselves. This is were Professor Stone breaks from the orthodoxy. She thinks the actual Elder were an ascended species who were guiding the occupants of the installations to join them in their ascension. Presumably they were successful and left, which is why everything we have found is empty."
Jan 2, 2024 1:28 pm
Jil listens intently while Hank describes the Elder.

Her schedule during the trip is simple. She works and exercises in a set daily routine, always early for duty and late to finish. Otherwise she reads in her quarters (studying details about the target destination). She eats alone unless anyone chooses to join her. Jil is certainly not hostile to the others, she just lacks social grace and confidence.
OOC:
Should we receive communications from the Celestial Voyager?
Last edited January 2, 2024 1:35 pm
Jan 2, 2024 2:53 pm
Hank will try to eat with others, though he won't persist if rebuffed. (Meaning he will eat with Jil and Gabe as they permit.) He's just trying to get a feel for his new crew mate and figures casual conversation is the best chance for that. As before he will do polite attempts at small talk and let it lay if he gets no response.

And, just to be safe, Hank will double-check the shopping list, make sure he doesn't see anything that is missing, check up on what the destination is going to be like (such that their library data can tell him), and continue his reading through the Elder research papers. He will exercise, though at different times. He does NOT have a set schedule, but rather kinda does things as they occur to him through out the cycle. (With the complete and total lack of military background, he takes a more free-form approach to his "schedule".)
Jan 2, 2024 4:29 pm
Downtime rolls, 2 days:

Hank: Get a feel for his new crewmate (Notice), Elders research papers (Academics)
Jil: Exercises (Athletics), reading details about the destination (Navigation)
Receive +1 XP, each.

Rolls

Hank Heron: Academics (Elder) DC15 - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Hank Heron: WITS - Untrained check (Notice) DC10 - (1d20+-2)

(15) - 2 = 13

Jilandra (Jil) Broadenspec: Athletics DC15 - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jilandra (Jil) Broadenspec: Navigation DC10 - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 2, 2024 4:35 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Celestial Voyager's passenger shuttle, Draco system

As the shuttle entered the vicinity of Draco I and the ship's sensors got the station telemetry and distance, the crew found themselves hurtling towards the orbital station at an unexpected velocity. Already braking at 3Gs but with not enough time to reduce their huge relative speed, alarms blared, signaling the urgency of the situation.
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

Gabe, gripping the sides of his seat, barked orders, "Jil, adjust course! We can't come in that fast!"
OOC:
Both of you, pilot and copilot, gimme Piloting rolls, DC12.
Jan 2, 2024 4:48 pm
OK, here's Hank's roll.
OOC:
Honestly, I just thought we'd have to worry about an extra day getting there, not smashing into it ...

Rolls

Hank Heron: Co-Pilot DC12 - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Jan 2, 2024 4:49 pm
OOC:
Smashing is much more interesting!
Jan 5, 2024 11:25 am
OOC:
It's been 3 days, so I'm rolling for Jil to keep this thread moving
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Celestial Voyager's passenger shuttle, in a escape trajectory from Draco I

The shuttle hurtled towards the orbital station, its hull shuddering from the strain of the rapid maneuver. Jil, with beads of sweat forming on her forehead, wrestled with the controls to realign their trajectory.
Gabe, glancing at the station through the viewport, shouted, "We need to bleed off more speed!"
https://i.imgur.com/7JaZxj3.jpg
Hank, hands flying across the console, initiated emergency thruster bursts to counteract the velocity. The crew felt the gravitational forces, a little above what the grav plates could nullify, as the shuttle executed a series of sharp maneuvers, narrowly avoiding collision with the orbital station.
Suddenly, the portside view was a blur of metallic structure. Alarms continued to wail, echoing the urgency of their situation and then abruptly stopped. Jil, with steely determination, finally managed to bring the shuttle under control, the vessel now slowing down but still overshooting the intended point.

As they moved away from the station, she reported, "Sir, we've slowed down, but we overshot the docking coordinates. We need to circle back and try again."

Gabe was visibly very angry. Controlling himself, he nodded, "Do it! And this time, let's aim for a smoother approach. We don't want to attract even more attention than we already did."

The crew braced themselves as the shuttle executed a graceful turn, aligning once again with the orbital station. Jil, now with a cautious touch, guided the vessel towards the docking port. The crew could feel the subtle hum of the engines as they approached for a second attempt, hoping that this time their entry would be met with a less tumultuous reception.

In the meantime, Gabe furiously worked on the shuttle's computer, frowning while he did so.

"I'm sorry, Jil…" - he said, at last - "I thought you were being completely incompetent and suicidal with your navigation. When people miss their calculations, we usually take longer, but we don't smash into the station. Space is huge and the odds are impossibly low for that to be a mistake. But it was not your fault, it seems like our nav computer was sabotaged before we left the Celestial. Somebody is trying to kill us. I know that's a serious accusation, so, Hank, please double check it, I will point you to the logs."
OOC:
Gimme a Computers, DC10, Hank. I told you that "Smashing is much more interesting"! =D

Rolls

Jilandra (Jil) Broadenspec: Piloting DC12 - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Jan 5, 2024 2:12 pm
Alarmed, Skeeve checks the logs carefully while Jil brings us back. I am going to assume that since we have some time while we turn around, he isn't hurried, so he takes a very careful and deliberate approach. (Hopefully this gives modifiers if I miss but am close.)

Rolls

Hank Heron: Computer DC10 - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Jan 5, 2024 2:37 pm
During Gabe's outburst Jil felt her face tighten in anger but years in the Navy trained her to keep quiet in a crisis.

She focuses on piloting, aiming to prove herself at least competent.
OOC:
Sorry for missing the roll, I haven't been very well. Its an annoying way to start the year.
Jan 5, 2024 3:35 pm
OOC:
If it's any consolation, everyone I know has been battling through some kind of sickness this holiday season. It's just been awful!

I hope you get well soon!
Last edited January 5, 2024 3:36 pm
Jan 5, 2024 10:45 pm
OOC:
Don't worry! I hope you get well soon!

Like I said in the recruitment thread, I wait 3 days for a post, or more if it's a holiday or people let us know, but I move on after that because of the other players... But just enough to keep the game going.

As soon as you are able to post again, you can catch up and continue the game without any problems.
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Celestial Voyager's passenger shuttle, approaching Draco I orbital station

The crew let out collective breaths as the shuttle approached the docking port with controlled finesse.

As they docked, the metallic clang echoed through the shuttle, signifying a successful connection. The crew unstrapped themselves, a mixture of relief and anticipation in their eyes. Hank confirmed that somebody reprogrammed the nav computer for a collision. They will need the Celestial Voyager's shuttle bays camera to double check and try to pin down

"Let's wait before we say anything unusual to the Celestial Voyager. Our communication could be intercepted."

Double checking what happened, Jil coud also see that she, in fact, missed the sabotage. A little distracted with the Elder's research, she ploted the course, checked the sensor readings, checked her own inputs and let it go. But she didn't double check the results.

To simplify things and make it easier to explain what really happened, she realized that the nav computer told her that 1+1=5 and she confirmed the course. Her input (the 1) and her current position (the other 1) were both correct, so Jil didn't expect for the nav computer to consider all the correct data but mess with it and put her in a collision course (the 5).
OOC:
This is Jil's real failure on that roll.
OOC:
Do you wanna do something before leaving the shuttle? Moreover, please describe what you brought with you in your next post, if anything unusual. Weapons and armor are totally illegal here, so if you don't describe anything, I will assume just clothing and personal belongings, enough for a couple of days in the station.
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Draco I orbital station

Stepping onto Draco I's orbital station, they were greeted by the sterile hum of life support systems and the distant echo of station personnel going about their duties.

Following signs and lights, they navigated through the labyrinthine corridors of the starport, passing by rows of cargo containers and the occasional group of traders fervently haggling over goods.

Approaching the customs and immigration checkpoint, Gabe presented the necessary documentation. The customs official, a stern-faced figure in uniform, scrutinized the paperwork with a practiced eye. Hank and Jil stood nearby, ready to answer any questions that might arise.

"Please state your port of origin and business in Draco I," instructed the customs official.

"We are an ITC registered, free merchant starship crew from New Jordan. We are looking to purchase supplies and replacement parts," answered the first officer.

"Are you selling anything?" queried the customs official.

"No, sir, not this time."

"Okay. You don't have the necessary authorization to sell anything. Infringement will result in perpetual jail or indentured service in the tungsten mines. Here are your papers and buying authorizations. You have ten days to leave the planet. Infringement will lead to incarceration or indentured service in the iron mines."

"Understood, sir,"
Gabe replied, a hint of nervousness in his tone.

The crew, now with the necessary authorizations, proceeded into the station, ready to navigate the challenges of trade and the shadows that loomed on the rocky planet.

As they moved through the station, Gabe glanced at Hank and Jil. "Do you have any idea of our next steps? I didn't expect that and I am not fully aware of the planetary laws."
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 6, 2024 4:11 am
The first thing we're gonna do when we leave our shuttle is lock it. Have you ever watched The Mandalorian? Dude leaves his stuff with doors open everywhere. So sloppy. (Still loved the first season anyway.)

Well, since there are no weapons or armor, he's just taking his clothes, datapad, shuttle keys (unless that's all biometric), and whatever we do for wallets (with his id and payment cards). I assume we also have comm devices that will allow us to communicate with each other.

As part of his pre-arrival prep, I assume we have some names of sources for the parts we need. If we don't, we'll have to figure out how to legally connect to the local datanet and find some. Considering that Hank isn't interested in working in anyone's mines, he's interested in not pissing off any authorities and getting back outta here. So, shopping trip!

"The data library we have mention an Inhotep Emporium and a Spritely Sprockets as places we should be able to find our parts. Let's look up where they are and see what we can find."

Hank also suggests that it probably isn't a good idea to either split up or to get drunk. This place is just dripping with "don't get Shanghai'ed" vibes. (If you have so many mines that each are coded to specific crimes, there are likely people paid to find "new recruits".)
Jan 7, 2024 12:29 am
OOC:
Yup. I am a Star Wars fan. Even GMed a SW RPG game here in Gamersplane before this one.

Okay. You have all the requested equipment, including the comms and keys (its biometric plus electronic key, cause you never know).

And you're right about the recruitment team, so be careful ;)
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Inhotep Emporium, Draco I orbital station

The Inhotep Emporium, a dimly lit and cramped store within the station, greeted the crew with the eclectic scent of various minerals and electronic components. Shelves were stacked high with gadgets and machinery, and a metallic chime announced their arrival as the automatic door slid open.

Jil, Hank, and Gabe navigated through narrow aisles, their eyes scanning the shelves for the elusive Quantum Flux Compression Coils and other essential components on their list. A hushed hum of negotiations and the occasional clatter of falling tools filled the air as they moved deeper into the store.

Hank approached a wiry shopkeeper with a pair of spectacles perched on the edge of his nose. "Excuse me, we're in need of Quantum Flux Compression Coils, Neutrino Capacitor, Universal Interface Screws, Graviton Stabilizers, Flux Harmonizer Chips, and Bio-Regenerative Life Support Filters."

The shopkeeper raised an eyebrow, sizing up the crew. "Not everyday purchases, I see. You're from off-world, aren't you?"

Gabe nodded, "That's correct. We're the crew of an ITC registered vessel, and we need these components for essential repairs."

"Ah, registered vessel, you say?"
The shopkeeper's tone softened, "Duke Voss doesn't often allow outsiders to make such purchases. You must have the appropriate papers."

Gabe cleared his throat, "Yes. We had to go through customs and here are the authorizations, but we're on a tight schedule. Can you help us find these items quickly?"

The shopkeeper hesitated for a moment before nodding, "Follow me."

They weaved through narrow aisles, the shopkeeper expertly navigating the labyrinth of goods. After what felt like a scavenger hunt, they reached a dusty corner where the required components were neatly arranged.

"Quantum Flux Compression Coils, Neutrino Capacitor, Universal Interface Screws, Graviton Stabilizers, Flux Harmonizer Chips, and Bio-Regenerative Life Support Filters," the shopkeeper listed, pointing to each item and their requested amounts.

Gabe sighed in relief, "Perfect. How much for everything?"

The shopkeeper punched numbers into a vintage-looking terminal. "Considering the rarity and Duke Voss's taxes, it'll be 1,500 credits. I also have a couple of items more that we can sell. Here is the list:"
Trading with Jeff Smith,Inhotep Emporium, Draco I

Good Purchase price (per ton) Galactic (base) price (per ton)Available (in tons)
Food supplies 1,100 1,0006d60
Celestial Voyager replacement parts 1,500 1,272All the requested units (0 tons)
Starship armor plates (metallic laminates)56,000 80,0004d10
Heatshield 73,600 80,0004d10
High grade steel plates 3,950 5,0003d100
Platinum ingots 16,800 20,0005d6
Uranium (enriched)920,0001,000,0002d6
Frozen Shrimp 4,5204,0002d10
Air/raft parts (1 ton = 20% of a vehicle) 54,00050,0001d20

"Would you like something else or just the parts?"
OOC:
If you wanna negotiate further discounts, here are the DCs. Please choose the product and discount before you roll. As always, there are some consequences for failure, so if you just wanna accept the initial prices, no need to roll.

2% Broker DC10
5% Broker DC15
10% Broker DC20
12% Broker DC25

What do you do?
Jan 7, 2024 12:59 am
OOC:
Ok, got a couple questions first:

1) We only have "pocket change", correct? So, most of this is out of our range.

2) On that, are the ingots only sold by the ton, or does he sell individual ingots, too?

On the price, Hank will take a calculated decision to eat the markup and accept the price. The markup is annoying, but easily manageable and all of what we need is here. I'll post a proper response after your reply.
Last edited January 7, 2024 1:01 am
Jan 7, 2024 1:15 am
OOC:

1. Yeah. I had some expensive rolls there, those products are random, sorry. Your credits are shown in the Status sheet. You can also engage in speculative trading by using some of the Celestial Voyager's credits. Captain Zaytsev rules are here

2. He can sell you by the kilogram, with some Persuasion rolls. The DC will depend on the product. Worst case for that Persuasion roll, he won't sell you less than a ton. It won't affect prices or the Celestial Voyager replacement parts.
Jan 7, 2024 1:42 am
Hank replies, "We'll take the replacement parts for sure. How do we get them delivered to our shuttle?" He will then pay as indicated.

He then asks, "With that taken care of, do you sell the platinum only by the ton, or do you also sell it by the ingot?"
OOC:
Again, Hank is willing to basically spend 250 credits to get the spare parts right now. Granted it is the first store, but he just wants to take the sure thing.

I'll toss in a Persuasion roll for good measure. I don't know the DC, so it's just a roll.

Rolls

Hank Heron: Persuation - (1d20+0)

(7) = 7

Jan 7, 2024 1:53 am
"I can pack the starship parts into a couple of manageable bags. They're not overly heavy and should be easy for you to carry.

However, when it comes to the platinum, it's a different story. I can offer you a crate containing 100 kg of platinum ingots for 1,700 credits. Or multiple crates, if you have the money and disposition. Keep in mind, though, you'll need to arrange transportation services for the crates, since they're small but quite heavy."
Jan 7, 2024 12:33 pm
Jil keeps an eye out for anything suspicious and is ready to help if needed.

Otherwise she is very happy for Hank to take the lead
OOC:
"The first thing we're gonna do when we leave our shuttle is lock it. " ...made me laugh. So true!

Rolls

Notice - (1d60+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Notice (with a d20 not d60!!) - (1D20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Jan 8, 2024 12:32 am
Hank replies, "Well, as mentioned, we are new around here. How do those services work, and how long do they general take? I am interested, but if it substantially adds to the cost or risk, then it starts to not be worth it."
OOC:
My thoughts on the platinum is that a crate won't take much space, it should be easily convertible either stand-alone, or even broken up, and it is below market rate here. If I (the player) is missing something that Hank would know, please tell me.
Jan 8, 2024 11:22 pm
OOC:
Daryen, you're correct, that's basically it. 100 kg of platinum has a volume slightly larger than 1 US gallon, but weighs 220 pounds. The crate contains some smaller ingots inside.
Trade Era 1235, Day 132

Inhotep Emporium, Draco I orbital station

The shopkeeper hesitated for a moment before answering, "Well… You can hire the Ironsides." He them gave a pamphlet for them:
Ironsides Transportation Services: Reliability in Movement, Strength in Unity

🛠️ Transporting the Future, Together!

Are you in need of swift and secure transportation services within Draco I's orbital station or across the challenging landscape of our rocky planet? Look no further! Ironsides Transportation Services is your trusted partner in moving goods with precision and care.

Why Choose Ironsides:
- Expertise in Heavy Cargo: Our skilled workforce excels in handling heavy loads, ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of valuable cargo.
- Reliability: With a proven track record, Ironsides guarantees timely delivery and meticulous handling of your goods, maintaining the utmost standards of professionalism.
- Seamless Orbital Operations: From loading and unloading starships to maneuvering within the orbital station, we navigate the complexities of space logistics with finesse.
- Strength in Unity: As a proud labor union, Ironsides fosters a strong sense of community among its members, ensuring a dedicated and cohesive workforce.

Our Services:
- Cargo Loading and Unloading
- Freight Transportation Across Draco I and nearby destinations
- Orbital Station Logistics
- Specialized Handling of Heavy and Valuable Cargo

Contact us by calling our Union Office in the Orbital Station: +555-1234

Government-Tolerated, Worker-Empowered: While Ironsides Transportation Services operates with the blessing of the government, we recognize the importance of maintaining a watchful eye on our operations. Rest assured, our commitment to integrity and transparency ensures that every movement aligns with the laws and regulations of Draco I.

Join us in forging a future where reliable transportation meets the strength of unity. Ironsides Transportation Services – moving Draco forward, one cargo at a time! 🚀🌌
Gabe nodded in agreement. "Let's contact Ironsides. They should have the equipment we need to move these crates without a hassle."

The shopkeeper accessed the orbital station communication system and dialed the contact provided by Ironsides Transportation Services. A gruff voice answered on the other end. "Ironsides Transportation Services. How can we assist you?"

Gabe stepped forward. "Hello, my name is Gabriel Reyes. We need to move a couple of heavy crates of cargo from the Inhotep Emporium to our starship docked at the orbital station. Each weighs about 100 kilograms. Can you provide a grav-sled and some muscle for the job?"

There was a brief pause, then the voice responded, "Aye, we can arrange that. That will be 60 credits per crate. If you accept, expect a grav-sled and a couple of our finest members to meet you at the Emporium in 30 minutes. We'll handle the heavy lifting."
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 9, 2024 8:36 pm
Hank likes the idea. "60 credits per crate sounds good. We'll be here 30 minutes from now. Thank you." He provides whatever info they need for this.

After the arrangements are made, Hank says to Gabe, "I was only planning on getting one crate with my funds. Do you think we should get another with ship's funds?" Once we make a decision, Hank pays for the one or two crates worth of Platinum.

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 10, 2024 12:25 am
"If you wanna borrow some money from the ship, feel free to do that, following our rules.

If you mean buying for us, no need. Valeria is not engaging in speculative trading anymore. Our mission covers all the necessary costs, she will get some of your credits from the shipping rates and use that money for provisions and replacement parts.

Jil, do you wanna buy a platinum crate or anything else for you?"
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
Jan 10, 2024 2:13 am
Hank says, "Then unless Jil wants to join in, it looks like it is just one crate after all."
Jan 10, 2024 3:57 pm
Jil frowns and shakes her head. She is not used to this kind of extracurricular activity.
Jan 10, 2024 4:28 pm
Then Hank closes out the purchase of his crate of platinum and waits for the Ironsides reps to show up. He does make sure with the salesman that the 30 minutes delay is enough time to get things ready. When the couriers get here, we'll go with them to make the delivery to the shuttle. It is kinda inconvenient, but I still feel it is important to keep the group together during our visit here.

Once back at the shuttle with what we need, we can decide if we want to explore some or if we just want to cut and run.
Jan 10, 2024 10:44 pm
While waiting for the Ironsides worker, Gabe approached the shopkeeper they had dealt with earlier, a wiry individual with spectacles perched on the edge of his nose.

"Excuse me," Gabe inquired, "do you happen to have navigation software? We are looking for a full reinstall of our shuttle's systems."

The shopkeeper furrowed his brow. "Navigation software, you say? Unfortunately, that's not something we specialize in here. However, you're in luck. Spritely Sprockets is just a short walk away. They should have what you need."

As he didn't want to separate himself from the crew, Gabe waited in the Emporium.
True to their word, 30 minutes later, a sturdy grav-sled arrived promptly, manned by an Ironsides worker and a metallic humanoid droid with a sleek, industrial design. The workers and the droid greeted the crew with nods of acknowledgment.

"We'll take care of the loading. Just guide us to the crates," the Ironsides worker said.

Gabe led the way through the crowded aisles of the Emporium, navigating towards the dusty corner where the platinum crates were waiting. The Ironsides worker and the metallic droid efficiently loaded the crates onto the grav-sled, securing them with precision.

As the Ironsides worker and the metallic droid completed the loading of the platinum crates, the worker initiated a conversation with Gabe.

"You off-worlders always bring fascinating tech to Draco I. What brings your crew to our unforgiving rock?" - the worker, Sylas Marr, remarked.

Gabe smiled, appreciating the worker's curiosity. "We're here for repairs and resupply. Draco I has its challenges, but it's not every day we get to experience a planet with such distinct characteristics."

The worker nodded. "Aye, it's a tough place, but it's home. By the way, I couldn't help but notice the size of your ship. You folks got any spare capacity for passengers or freight? Ironsides occasionally has needs beyond cargo hauling, and your ship might be just what we're looking for."

Gabe exchanged a glance with Hank and Jil. "What kind of passengers or freight are we talking about?"

The worker leaned in slightly, lowering his voice. "Well, nothing too illegal or dangerous, mind you. Just some discreet shipments that might need a ride off Draco I. Pays well, and Ironsides would owe you a favor. You scratch our back, we scratch yours, as they say."

Gabe thought for a moment, weighing the potential risks and rewards.
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 11, 2024 9:01 am
Overhearing the conversation Jil gives Gabe a glance and raises her palms in a gesture showing "You're the boss, i'm fine with whatever".

Deferring to command is her nature but she finds it odd that a group of strangers are making not-quite-legal suggestions within minutes of meeting. Whatever they need might be more urgent than they're letting on.
Jan 11, 2024 3:16 pm
OOC:
I am assuming this is an open conversation that is conducted low so that no one outside us can hear.
Hank speaks up and says to Gabe, "Not to interrupt, sir, but we aren't really in much shape to carry anything very far until we make our repairs." He hopes this gives Gabe enough wiggle room to avoid saying "yes" or "no", but more of "results cloudy; check back later".

Plus Hank isn't eager to find out what type of mine you get sent to for smuggling contraband or people. (He assumes there are three different mine types: one for each, and a special third one for doing both.)

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 12, 2024 12:15 am
Quote:
Gabe exchanged a glance with Hank and Jil. "What kind of passengers or freight are we talking about?"

The worker leaned in slightly, lowering his voice. "Well, nothing too illegal or dangerous, mind you. Just some discreet shipments that might need a ride off Draco I. Pays well, and Ironsides would owe you a favor. You scratch our back, we scratch yours, as they say."
Considering the crew’s reaction, Gabe was also reticent. "Well, I’m sorry, Mr… "

"Marr. Sylas Marr."

"As Hank said, Mr. Marr, we need to repair our ship first, so we can’t accept that right now. I’m sorry. And we need to know what cargo we're talking about."

"Oh, it’s just a ton of advanced Synth central processing cores, they are already here in the station. Nothing illegal, but the local regulations make it challenging to move that amount, fast, without attracting unwanted attention."

Gabe raised an eyebrow, "Synth processing cores? Why the secrecy?"

The worker sighed, "The government has strict control over certain imports and exports, especially advanced technology. These cores are needed elsewhere, now, and we believe your starship provides the discreet means to get them off Draco I. You already have the papers to allow you to buy them. So we would sell you at an ‘incredible discount’ here, and buy from you with a large markup in Draco III. Consider our good graces as well. It’s worth more than that money."

"I… We need to think about it. Let me contact you if we are able to do that, ok?"

Mr. Sylas Marr nodded understandingly, "Take your time. We'll be waiting. Just remember, Ironsides' favor can be quite valuable in these parts."

After putting the platinum in the shuttle’s cargo holds, the Ironsides worker and the metallic droid departed. As Marr left, the crew of the Celestial Voyager faced a complex decision that went beyond simple trade or smuggling. The weight of their choices lingered in the air as they continued their preparations for departure.

Either way, together, they took a brief stroll through the corridors of the orbital station, reaching Spritely Sprockets in no time.

Upon entering the tech-focused store, they were greeted by the hum of various gadgets and the sight of shelves brimming with technological wonders. A shop attendant approached, eager to assist.

"Welcome to Spritely Sprockets! How can we enhance your technological endeavors today?" the attendant cheerfully asked.

Gabe explained their need for navigation software to reset their shuttle's systems. The attendant nodded knowingly, leading them to a section dedicated to navigation and control software.

"Here we have some cutting-edge navigation programs. Whether you need a full system reset or specific adjustments, we've got you covered," the attendant said, presenting a range of software options.
OOC:
What do you do?
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
Jan 12, 2024 11:34 am
If Jil recognizes any reliable navigation systems she will point them out. Generally being as useful as she can be.

Rolls

Notice roll (if needed) - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Jan 12, 2024 2:25 pm
This is a situation where the others are much more competent the he, so he takes their lead.

He does look at the prices, though to see if any are more expensive or less expensive, and what "expensive" even means for these types of programs.

Also, if he is aware of any of the software vendors' reputations, he will keep that in mind, too.

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 13, 2024 10:15 am
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
With recommendations from the crew and the helpful attendant at Spritely Sprockets, Gabe carefully selected and bought a reliable navigation software package for their shuttle.

Armed with the newly acquired software, the crew made their way back to the shuttle, eager to begin the crucial process of reinstalling the navigation systems.

In the confined space of the shuttle, surrounded by the hum of machinery and the familiar scent of lubricant, Gabe and the crew set to work. Between Jil, Hank and Gabe, they had more than enough expertise in computers and navigation to fix it without issues.

Gabe tapped a few commands into the console. "There we go, the core software is installed. Now, we just need to run a few diagnostics to make sure everything's functioning smoothly."

After a moment that felt like an eternity, the results appeared on the screen, indicating a successful installation and a fully operational navigation system.

With the navigation software successfully reinstalled and the necessary components secured, Gabe gathered the crew in the ship's control room to discuss their next move.

"So, what do you think? Should we prepare to leave and submit to Draco I's customs and immigration control?" Gabe asked, his gaze shifting between Hank and Jil.
Jan 13, 2024 1:52 pm
Hank says, "Yes. Honestly, this whole place gives me the creeps."
Jan 15, 2024 9:54 am
Jil is hesitant to give her opinion (usually she just follows orders) but in the end she agrees with Hank.

"I've been to a lot of stations and something doesn't fit here. Those Ironsides remind me too much of the crime syndicates back home. Everything starts with a small favor and before you know it they've got full control."

She shrugs casually "But I might be wrong."
Last edited January 15, 2024 9:56 am
Jan 15, 2024 12:43 pm
As the Celestial Voyager prepared to depart Draco I, the crew found themselves face-to-face with the same stern-faced customs officer who had scrutinized their documentation upon arrival. He now stood before them again.

The officer eyed Gabe, Hank, and Jil with a discerning gaze, his expression unyielding. "Leaving so soon? I hope your stay on Draco I has been satisfactory."

Gabe, maintaining composure, replied, "Yes, officer. We've completed our business and are ready to continue our journey."

The customs officer leaned in slightly, his tone inscrutable. "Any smuggling activities, perhaps? Duke Voss doesn't take kindly to those who try to exploit our resources."
Gabe met the officer's gaze without flinching. "No smuggling, sir. We've strictly adhered to the regulations during our stay."
The officer continued his interrogation, informing them of the consequences of smuggling – a one-way ticket to the platinum mines. He then inquired about their purchases and sales on Draco I.

"We bought replacement parts and a small amount of platinum," Gabe answered truthfully. "But we haven't sold anything during our visit."

The customs officer, seemingly satisfied with the responses, nodded curtly. "Very well. We'll need to inspect your shuttle to ensure everything is in order. Any deviations from the declared purchases can lead to severe consequences."

As the inspection unfolded, the crew of the Celestial Voyager watched with bated breath.

Once satisfied with the inspection, the customs officer stepped back, his stern demeanor unchanged. "You're clear to leave. Just remember, Draco I has its rules, and they are not to be taken lightly."

With a final nod, the customs officer allowed the crew to proceed with their departure. The shuttle's engines hummed to life, and, as the Celestial Voyager left Draco I, the crew couldn't help but feel relief.

Jil set their course for the Draco III Postal Authority orbital station.
OOC:
Jil, gimme a Navigation roll, DC12. You can talk freely now.
Jan 15, 2024 2:03 pm
Jil takes her time running through the pre-flight checks.

After carefully reading through a string of co-ordinates displayed over several monitors she confidently enters a flight path and engages the engines...

Rolls

Navigation DC12 - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jan 15, 2024 2:05 pm
OOC:
...insert swear word. So close!!
Jan 15, 2024 3:07 pm
As the Celestial Voyager smoothly sailed away from Draco I, Gabe turned to Hank and Jil, his expression marked by a mix of curiosity and concern.

"Now that we're clear of Draco I, I think it's time we address the elephant in the room. The sabotage that led us to almost crash in this unforgiving station. Any thoughts on who might be behind it and why?" Gabe inquired, his eyes shifting between his two crewmates.
OOC:
The journey will take 3 days. Jil receives +1 XP.
Jan 15, 2024 4:03 pm
Hank feels a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. "Um, before we take that up, can we double check the cargo? I think it would be good to make sure our cargo of platinum is actually that. I apologize for not thinking of this earlier."
OOC:
Do we have anything that can scan to make sure? I'm assuming the inspector did not do anything other than a visual inspection.
Jan 15, 2024 7:06 pm
Hank you open the crates, use your portable scanners and, strangely enough, everything checks out. You scratch your head and get back to the cabin.
Jan 15, 2024 7:57 pm
Ok, great! He feels better now!

Back with Gabe and Jil, he says, "I can't think of anyone. It probably can't be anyone that just boarded, as they wouldn't have good access yet. And the Professor has no access at all. It would seem to have to be someone that's been around for at least a little while, but that's like accusing a family member! All I can figure is we're going to be very shaken when we find out who."
Jan 16, 2024 2:07 pm
Jil joins the conversation with a flat matter of fact tone.

"Whoever sabotaged the system probably knew how to work around security access, so it could be anyone. I suggest we search through the onboard camera footage and access logs. No doubt they were bypassed but we might get lucky and find some discrepancies."

With a faint smile she adds.

"At least we can trust each other. Unless either of you had a death wish?"

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 16, 2024 2:20 pm
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
"Yeah, no individual can win a soccer game by himself, so let's trust each other. I will help Hank in this."
OOC:
Gimme a Computers, DC20. Gabe will help you, so roll with Advantage.
Jan 16, 2024 3:21 pm
Hank dives in and starts investigating ...

... well, no luck.
Last edited January 16, 2024 3:21 pm

Rolls

Hank Heron: Computer Investigation DC20 - (2D20H1+5)

(71) + 5 = 12

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 16, 2024 3:27 pm
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
"Well... I see no discrepancies here. It shows nothing unusual, so we will need to check the logs and cameras in the Celestial Voyager's shuttle bays when we get back. We have 3 days until then."
OOC:
What do you do?
Jan 16, 2024 10:50 pm
OOC:
I only had a 25% chance of success, unfortunately.
"Well, I guess we are reduced to stewing on it for a couple of days until we get back, unfortunately."

After a bit of time, he does add, "Do you think there are any other systems we should be checking for sabotage?"

Assuming not, during the couple of days, Hank will try a couple different things with the computer logs to confirm nothing can be found. (I assume it can't work, so no rolls are required.) He also spends some time on some other Elder research to keep his mind on other things.
Jan 17, 2024 9:11 am
Jil slips back into her routine of work and exercise. But her mind is pretty restless dwelling on the sabotage and frustrated at their inability to investigate.

As a distraction she offers to teach Gabe and Hank 'Primer' a card game from her home world, gambling for low stakes (Deception & Wits checks maybe?)

Jan 17, 2024 9:52 am
In the following days, the shuttle sailed through the cosmic expanse, carrying with it the weight of the recent sabotage. Hank, determined to get to the bottom of the mysterious interference, delved into the ship's computer logs. His attempts to uncover any traces of tampering proved futile, leaving him frustrated at the seamless cover-up. He was also able to reproduce the tampering, exploiting a security flaw in the shuttle’s systems and understanding exactly what happened. In essence, the logs, that should only be written, could be selectively erased.

Receive +2 XP, Hank, for the failure with the computer plus the downtime rolls

Meanwhile, Jil, restless and eager for answers, sought solace in card games with the crew. In the downtime between games, she directed her energy toward expanding her investigation skills. Utilizing the shuttle's communication and computer systems, she delved into tutorials and guides, learning about advanced techniques in tracing and uncovering hidden trails.
Receive +2 XP, Jil, for the downtime rolls

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
As the crew gathered for another card game, Gabe observed the dedicated efforts of his team.

"Alright, let's keep at it. We can't let someone sabotage our journey without consequences. We'll figure this out, one way or another."

End of chapter
End of chapter checklist

- Did we earn a profit, either through trading, scavenging, looting or jobs? Yes. Hank's platinum. +3 XP.

- Did we discover something new and interesting about the universe? Yes. Draco I peculiarities and the Ironsides (they will be back). +3 XP

- Did we overcome a difficult challenge or dangerous adversary? Yes. The saboteur. +3 XP
OOC:
@ImperfectBeing and @daryen you have some XP now and, if you have enough, can spend it on the skills listed in the Status sheet. Wanna do so? Please post here and let me double check before you change anything in the character sheet.

Rolls

Hank Heron: Deception DC15, Card game - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Hank Heron: Computer DC20, studying log tampering techniques - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Hank Heron: Academics (Elder) DC15, studies - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jilandra 'Jil' Broadenspec: Deception DC15, card game - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jilandra 'Jil' Broadenspec: Deception DC15, card game - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jilandra 'Jil' Broadenspec: WITS - Untrained check, Investigation DC15 - (1d20+-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Jan 17, 2024 3:14 pm
OOC:
Couple of notes:

For the skill I want Notice-0. Might as well kill the unskilled penalty. I'll bank the rest, as raising any of the others costs too much at the moment.

Do note that Hank paid for the Platinum from his funds, not ship funds. So, his funds need to be adjusted.

And I never thought for a second we wouldn't see Ironsides again. Honestly, I was concerned they would intercept us on our trip back to the Celestial Voyager or even waylay us before we could leave Draco I. But I know they are showing up again at some point!
Hank comes to two completely separate realizations:

1) He now feels kinda guilty for the platinum purchase, since it is pretty much guaranteed to have been dug out by slave labor in the "platinum mines". That's why it was a good deal: they can sell it under list price because it is so inexpensive to mine. They still make huge profits on it. (This is that ineffectual pathetic guilt that makes you feel a little bad, but doesn't change your behavior in any way.)

2) One silver lining to having the logs deleted is that it leaves a "hole" in the overall logs. This should give us a decent guide as to the time period to investigate when we can look at the Celestial Voyager's logs.
Jan 17, 2024 6:36 pm
OOC:
Ok, go ahead. Fixed the credits, thanks!
Hank is probably right on both accounts
Jan 17, 2024 7:50 pm
OOC:
I added the new skill and I completely reordered the skills alphabetically so I can find things more easily. I made sure to work from a printout when I did so!
Jan 18, 2024 5:23 am
With about a day left to get back, while sitting around together, Hank says, "I have a question about the sabotage: Which of us was the target? What is it about one of us that would not only make them a target to be killed, but was so important that it was worth killing the others with them?"
Jan 18, 2024 3:49 pm
After a thoughtful pause Jil replies to Hank.

"Maybe none of us were the target. Whoever did it might have wanted our mission to fail...we were just collateral. Its grim but I've met enough people who don't think twice about murder if they get what they want."

Last edited January 18, 2024 3:54 pm
Jan 18, 2024 4:46 pm
"Fair point. I don't see why getting repair parts would be an issue, though. Oh! Maybe none of that was the point, but maybe Draco I was the target. Maybe we were to be unintentional suicide bombers! Considering how much that place sucks, I could easily see lots of people wanting to attack them."
Last edited January 18, 2024 4:48 pm
Jan 18, 2024 7:09 pm
OOC:
@ImperfectBeing feel free to continue the conversation, but don't forget to tell us about your skills / XP for this chapter (or if you are just going to bank them)
Jan 19, 2024 11:25 am
"That is even more disturbing. We've spent too much time together."

She gives Hank a genuine smile.
OOC:
Please can I increase Notice from 0 to 1 (10xp). Should leave me with 5xp to save
Last edited January 19, 2024 11:27 am
Jan 19, 2024 11:44 am
OOC:
Yup. Go ahead

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 22, 2024 12:43 am
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
Jil had just answered Hank when the communication came through:

"Gabe, this is Douklan Paravides. We found some Separatist mercenaries here on Nocturna who had replaced the regular personnel. They were using the dish here to relay communications between forces on Draco I's northern hemisphere and some vessel in Draco's asteroid belt. Here's the vector they were transmitting on. I'm taking the shuttle to help search the Belt, but you can see that you and Celestial Voyager's shuttle are closer to that part of the Belt than I am. Whether or not that ship has the missing station personnel, we suspect that it's up to no good, and we'd appreciate the help if you, Hank, and Jil are available to give it."

"Understood, Lieutenant. We will redirect to the belt. We will coast towards it, though, as we don't wanna arrive alone, in a small shuttle, in a potentially hostile situation. We will time it to arrive there as the Sentinel does. We should begin scanning earlier though. We will do that as soon as possible."
OOC:
No need to roll this time. See you in Chapter 3
Jan 22, 2024 1:06 am
Hank returns Jill's smile.

He says to Gabe, "This is a pretty dangerous assignment. I hope we can keep a low enough profile. I wonder how much more dangerous this would be if we had that 'almost but not quite smuggling' cargo?"
Jan 22, 2024 1:26 am
After some thought, Hank says to Gabe, "Should we be telling Douklan what happened to us? I know we planned to keep it under wraps until we got back, but this changes the equation some. We can always ask him to sit on it until we get back and can check the logs.

"Also, if this is in any way related, there is one thing a lone ship can do from an asteroid field: throw rocks. Our little shuttle would have been catastrophic if we had hit. Imagine what a bigger rock could do. Also, we can be shot down, but asteroids and comets are usually loosely compacted, so you can't easily just shoot it down. Give it speed, and reaction time could be limited. Get a few going at once, and it can be even more difficult."

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Jan 24, 2024 12:52 am
Yeah. Feel free to talk about it after our rendezvous. We will coordinate with the Sentinel using a tight beam and a secure communication channel when they get nearby.
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

Thread locked