[OPEN] D&D 5e: Secrets of the Greenwold

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic1 / dayspaceseeker19
https://i.imgur.com/M3GZwFNl.jpg
SET-UP FOR THE CAMPAIGN:
Desperate the get out of the crumbling, ancient city of Mara for various reasons, the party has accepted jobs as caravan guards for the 20-day journey to the great coastal city of Grayhaven in the western lands of the Greenwold. The frontier of the Greenwold still has unexplored, wild places, ancient ruins, monstrous domains, and a vast, magical forest ripe with possibilities for adventure, so getting paid to travel to this distant city is a welcome bit of good fortune. The fact that the caravan master made a grammar mistake in the poster doesn't concern you; many people in Mara don't bother learning to read...

https://i.imgur.com/Bvjaqd0.jpg
GAME OVERVIEW:
This is a D&D 5e game, running through the first thirteen modules of the Dungeon in a Box campaign produced by David Crennen, called "Secrets of the Greenwold." In this campaign, the PCs will have the opportunity to progress from lowly caravan guards to mighty heroes of renown as they travel through the region and beyond.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
Though the set-up of the game is bleak - you are all down-on-your-luck neophyte heroes with no job prospects in a dead-end city - this is is an epic campaign, built around over-the-top encounters, quirky NPCs, and a wild plot that the characters will slowly uncover as they get drawn into events that will determine the future of the region. It is full of new creatures, magic items, and sentient races. There are many optional encounters in each adventure in the campaign, but like most pre-written campaigns, this is not a sandbox or a West Marches-style game where the heroes can wander and decide which plot to pursue. The consequences of avoiding the major encounters would be disastrous for the Greenwold and, ultimately, the world.

When played face-to-face, at a table, this campaign takes at least twelve long sessions to complete; for most groups, that probably translates to twenty-four 4-hour sessions. This means it will likely take a year or more on Gamers Plane.

Assuming the characters survive the many challenges, the campaign will take the PCs from L1 to L10.

This game will be played entirely on Gamers Plane. It is open to D&D 5e players of all experience levels.

However, the DM will be posting once a day, unless the group requests to have time off for particular holidays/vacations/life events. In case a player cannot post or thinks they may not be able to post on a particular day or stretch of days, they are encouraged to provide instructions on their character sheet for general tactics/default actions/"what their character will do," in case the adventure takes the party into encounters while the player is absent.

JOINING THE GAME
There is a recruitment thread; players should reply in that thread if they are interested in joining this game.
If there are more interested players than PC slots available, the DM will choose which players get invitations by creating a table and rolling dice.
Once the game has begun, if any players have to drop out, the DM will re-open the recruitment thread and ask people to express interest again.

RULES
The following Dungeons & Dragons 5e optional rules will be used:
climb onto a bigger creature – DMG pg. 271
disarm – DMG pg. 271
overrun – DMG pg. 272
shove aside – DMG pg. 272
cleaving through creatures – DMG pg. 272
Level Advancement without XP - DMG pg. 261

Players may use the following optional rule when generating characters:
Starting wealth - PHB pg. 143

No other optional or variant rules from fifth edition D&D will be used.
However, there are new spells, mechanics, and items that will be introduced over the course of the campaign. This may include new options for characters, but if any such are made available, they will be added organically as the campaign progresses, not at character generation.

We will not be using alignment, in favor of playing to the characters' traits, bonds, ideals, and flaws.

Dec 27, 2023 4:44 pm
SET-UP FOR THE CAMPAIGN:
Mara is a dead-end city living off of nostalgia for an ancient empire that crumbled long ago, full of indolent addicts, decrepit elderly, and opportunistic crooks scamming all of them. You're dreaming of daring and glory in Mara, but you've got no prospects here. The only opportunity for would-be heroes such as yourselves is to get out of Mara and go someplace fresh and dynamic, where there is a chance for adventure. This caravan guard job fits the bill: it gets you to Greenwold and pays your way as well. The frontier of the Greenwold still has unexplored, wild places, ancient ruins, monstrous domains, and a vast, magical forest ripe with possibilities for adventure, which seems like a perfect fit. You've decided to go.

GAME OVERVIEW:
This is a D&D 5e game, running through "season one" of the adventures produced by David Crennen, called "Secrets of the Greenwold," which gives the PCs the opportunity to progress from lowly caravan guards to mighty heroes of renown as they travel through the region and beyond.

As the game begins, we will choose one D&D rulebook to reference for PCs in addition to the Player's Handbook. Then we will make characters on Gamers Plane, determine relationships between them, and start the adventure as a public game. Refer to the game page for more detail.

RECRUITMENT:
Please reply to this thread if you've read this and the game page and want to play in this D&D 5e campaign.

I will keep this thread open for a week - 27 December 2023 - 2 January 2024 - and then close it. Normally I wouldn't keep it open so long, but this is a time of year when many people are on vacation and may not have ready access to GP. Thank you for your patience.

If, by the time I close the thread, there are more people interested in playing this than there are slots (that is, more than 6), I will choose who gets first invitations randomly. Those invitations will be good for 24 hours. If they are not accepted within that time, I will issue new invitations to others who expressed that they want to play. My hope and expectation is that we will begin the game promptly on 3 January 2024.
Last edited April 15, 2024 5:24 am
Dec 27, 2023 4:48 pm
I would like to join your game and I nominate Tasha's Cauldron of Everything as the +1 book, as I would like to play a Twilight Cleric
Dec 27, 2023 4:50 pm
Love to join if there’s an opening, and I second TCoE as a great pick for a +1 book.
Last edited December 27, 2023 5:16 pm
Dec 27, 2023 5:13 pm
I'd love to get in on this.
Dec 27, 2023 5:35 pm
Alright, throwing my hat in the ring. I have a few concepts I'd be happy to try out.

I think for a +1 book I'd have to back the vote for Tasha's. While there are other books I personally would like more, I feel like Tasha's would have the broadest appeal to the most players.
Dec 27, 2023 6:24 pm
Posting interest, thank you!
Dec 27, 2023 10:27 pm
Oh with your short list of active optional rules I have to ask to some of the rules that I always have taken for granted
Like Feats, multiclass and Customisable abilities scores. Are those off the table?
If so it's going to be a different game :)
Dec 27, 2023 10:43 pm
I'm still all for this game. :) Long run sounds good to me. Lets do this. Probably rogue'ish.
Last edited December 28, 2023 12:10 am
Dec 28, 2023 12:05 am
I'm still game for this, and I also nominate Tasha for the +1 manual, as it'd provide the most options for customisation for everyone.

Character-wise, I was thinking of either a "throw-everything" Fighter/Artificer, or an abjuration wizard if a similar role is already taken.
Last edited December 28, 2023 12:19 am
Dec 28, 2023 3:21 am
Hi,
I'd like to be involved. I'd probably play a fighter class.
As for books to add, I'd vote Tasha's or Volo's.
Dec 28, 2023 4:51 am
Interested! Got several ideas in my head, especially with regards to that mousekin race!
Dec 28, 2023 7:38 am
I would really like to play in this game. I've got lots of experience with RPGs and some in PbP. none in DnD 5
Dec 28, 2023 4:47 pm
Just confirming: as there are now more people that have expressed interest in this game than there are slots available, on Tuesday, 2 January, I will roll randomly to determine which people get the first six invitations, which I will send out on Wednesday, 3 January.
Dec 28, 2023 8:53 pm
In case we're supposed to pick the +1 book here, I'm fine with any of them, but if I had to pick one I'd go with Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Xanathar's Guide to Everything is fine too.
Dec 28, 2023 9:12 pm
I have the exact same feelings too about +1 book. Tasha's Cauldron of Everything or Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Dec 28, 2023 10:27 pm
I know there’s already more interest than space, but I was already looking forward to this campaign when the interest check happened so I am still going to raise my hand and say I’d like to be considered for one of the invitations, please! I am on board with Tasha’s or Xanthars as both have been mentioned a few times.
Dec 30, 2023 12:08 pm
I'll take a shot at getting in myself. This campaign sounds interesting and I'm already bouncing between the idea of a rogue or a barbarian. I have no opinion on a second book because I only have the PHB so any are fine with me, the internet is useful for that lol.
Dec 30, 2023 2:29 pm
OOC:
Hmm. I have a few days now to trade out spaceseeker19 dice. I think that he needs new ones. Like the ones that are a bit more particular.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.