Have Faith

Jan 22, 2024 11:21 pm
Have Faith

The party has its task cut out for them and sets out.

The Dark lake of Obscurion had never been heard of by anyone, therefore any attempt to orient oneself is doomed to fail from the start. The delvers simply follow the walkway placed just a few inches above the water surface, walking in ever bigger circles, getting near the edge of the lake.
OOC:
A brief reminder: The landmark is essentially a huge lake with a walkway in the form of spiral, in the middle of which the Delvers originally found Obscurion.
They are now proceeding from the centre outwards.
A more attentive observer may notice that Ember keeps more to the back of the group, with his gaze fixed on Kendrick. Feels like the monk is aware of it, but decides not to react in any way.
Finally exiting the walkway, the delvers enter an immense cavernous corridor, split by a river in the middle.
A gasp escapes those who enter first.

https://i.imgur.com/8dQQkwl.jpg

It is a miraculous sight. The river waters shimmer with a soft, star-like glow that reflects off the cavern walls, creating the illusion of being in the middle of the night sky.

The banks of the river are rough and jagged, dotted with formations of crystals and minerals that enhance the starry effect, sparkling in the river's light. High above, crystals catch the light emanating from below, reflecting it down upon the delvers.
OOC:
The River of Stars Delve is considered to be completed automatically due to Obscurion's blessing. The group thus finds themselves in the final destination.

Navigating the jagged shores is not easy, ever more so with the light playing tricks on the senses, but the delvers manage to keep a relatively steady pace. As they progress, the water looses more of its shine and the only source of light once again becomes the torches and spireblack lanterns of the group, accompanied by the flames of Ember's mask.
The caverns become more and more familiar, until Mahsa finally notices a mark they know well. Now finally with a sense of location, it is not long before the group emerges before a Hound station well known to both Mahsa and Mahjid.

https://i.imgur.com/JNgWnBv.jpg

Sandbags and tools line the perimeter of the Temple of the Moon Beneath. A few fresh militiamen patrol the grounds, reinforcing the original Hound garrison.
In the very centre, the Temple itself stands. A magically sensitive person may recognize occult wards now covering many of its walls and entrances. It is clear that Sister Arielle had been busy.
OOC:
I will leave you some time to prepare before heading off for Divesse to face the Drowned Leviathan! Below is a bit of inspiration as to what might be done:

- Sister Arielle originally sent Mahjid to find Tenefer Nindur. Given that she was killed by Ruma Aliquami, perhaps Arielle would like to meet her brother Adumal at least?
- Adumal will surely want to contact the local Hound captain Whispers-The-Wyrm, asking for supplies and possibly men
- Embers and Kendrick may need their animosity quenched or finally escalated. Both also surely have stories to tell (Embers mentioning strange dreams and Kendrick the story of how he became a Song-thief Monk)

Also pinging @RoAries,@Redwhippet,@DarK_RaideR to let you know of the new thread!
Jan 24, 2024 9:59 am
Mahjid returns to the Temple, his mind still struggling to comprehend the sights, sounds and experiences it's come into contact with since the last time he set off. "I need some time" he tells the others "and probably some drinks, but I'll stick around with you if there's any pressing things to be done first."
OOC:
Bit stuck atm, but wanted to make a post nonetheless, show I'm here and get the ball rolling. Few comments:
- Mahjid will join Adumal if he's seeing Sister Arielle or the local Hound captain, but won't be the one to voice those ideas first.
- Likewise, he'd support taking Kendrick to the Hounds for questioning, but if Mahsa objects, he'd listen to their arguments.
- Before we set off, he'll use his Forewarned and Forearmed ability to prepare. He and everyone who joins him in the preparations can gain +1 Blood protection (through drills) or +1 Mind protection (through drinks) or +1 Supplies protection (through creative aquisitioning) until the group enters the next landmark. Putting this out as an option so anyone who wishes to join can vote what they think would be best to prep for.
Feb 2, 2024 5:56 pm
OOC:
A kind nudge towards @RoAries,@Redwhippet
Feb 10, 2024 9:14 am
OOC:
Sorry for the hiatus, had to move house unexpectedly, wiped me out.
Mahsa is most interested in finding out what the story is with Kendrick.

"Can I suggest Adumal and Mahjid check in with the hounds and find out what's news? The stalker and I stay with Kendrick..... and Ember if they feel obliged to keep a presence with us. We will catch up with something to eat and hear his side of what came before Obscurion. He must explain himself after all."

Mahsa looks at Mahjid. Hoping he will give them the chance to talk before handing him over to the hounds.
Feb 10, 2024 8:25 pm
Captain Whispers-The-WyrmMahjid the Voracious

Captain Whispers-The-Wyrm
Mahjid had met captain Whispers-The-Wyrm once before, and only briefly. The tall aelfir, with his face hidden behind a turqois mask with golden nets, was skeptical about the Drowned threat and did not seem to take it seriously.

Given the noticeable precautions the Temple had taken since then, his attitude must have changed from the last time he and Mahjid spoke. He does not seem to recognize the gnoll at first.

"Yes? I am quite busy, make it quick."
OOC:
@DarK_RaideR is Mahjid going to speak up or leave it to Adumal for now?

I also feel it would be good to now define what post did Mahjid previously have with the hounds. Here is their general structure:

1) Commander XXX (I am abroad and have his name written in notes on a different laptop, can't remember it for some reason) - Leader of Hounds, presiding in their HQ Derelictus
1) Colonel - three highest ranking officers under the Commander, each responsible for one Tier of Heart. They tend to be located where they are currently needed the most, with their HQs being in Temple of the Moon Beneath (Bevindor the Whispering Wind, human, Tier 1), Red Market (Dendel Enzois, drow, Tier 2) and The Bunker (Clyma "The Morningstar" Bran, human daughter of the Commander, Tier 3)
2) Captain - landmark level leader (e.g. Whispers)
3) Lieutenant - leader of a squad (3-5 Hounds, Adumal's and Ember's rank)
4) Hound - rank soldier

Sergeant Borealis' BarMahsa
The Tarred Stalker

Sergeant Borealis' Bar is technically just a barracks, repurposed to become a bar once the owner finally decided to abandon his military career and retire. The place however still keeps its austere atmosphere and the dish served seems to fit as well.
Iron Rations Reimagined are a creative take on traditional military provisions. This meal features preserved meats, hardtack infused with local herbs for flavor, and a side of pickled root vegetables found in the depths. One cannot help but wonder whether Borealis has a secret contact with the local Hounds quartermaster, or whether they perhaps share the same suppliers.

Ember-Glow-Unveiled
It is clear that Embers would prefer to question Kendrick in a different environment - preferably one with an ample supply of knives, torture racks and other more direct tools of interrogation. The frustrated flames in his eyes glow even brighter when the man realizes that he cannot put down his mask - and therefore has no idea how to eat the dish.

When Borealis brings the bowls, he smashes his fist into the table and then pushes the food aside.
"This is ridiculous! He should be in a torture room right now!"
Feb 11, 2024 11:06 am
Tarred Stalker stands by Mahsa as she handles the business with Kendrick. She looks at the meal served here. She rather prefer freshly killed hearts-blood prey, but anything that she can stuff into her mouth is sustenance all the same.
Feb 12, 2024 10:31 am
Mahjid nodded in agreement when Mahsa shared their plan. His connection to them was stronger than Hound protocol and he didn't care much about Kendrick; there could be some catching up over drinks if Mahsa needed answers and then he could be handed over to the Hounds for questioning.

The gnoll joins Adumal, secretly glad that Ember decided to join the others at the bar. It's not like a few dead Hounds would be kept a secret forever, but right now, he didn't need Ember reporting it and Mahjid's group as the perpetrators while they were about to inform Captain Whispers-The-Wyrm about the Leviathan and the Drowned Queen. Besides that, he decides to respect rank and let Adumal speak up first, waiting to jump into the conversation if needed.
OOC:
Mahjid is a simple troop with no rank, so Adumal can start the dialogue and he'll chip in as necessary.
Feb 12, 2024 1:32 pm

Adumal Nindur
The gigantic black-furred gnoll salutes.
"Thank you, Captain. I am lieutenant Adumal Nindur, serving in Derelictus. Me and a couple of my companions have have found valuable intelligence during our off-duty activities, which I would now like to report."
Adumal then proceeds to quickly summarize the recent events - how he almost caught the mysterious Aliquami drow woman interested in the Drowned Queen, and the meeting with Obscurion as the party took chase after her from Resonance Chamber Five. Mahjid notices that Adumal leaves the whole fiasco with Embers out of the story.
He finishes by asking for men and supplies to hunt the Drowned Leviathan.

The aelfir captain sits still, with his opinions hidden behind the turquoise mask. When Adumal finishes his narration, Whispers leans back and joins his fingers into a roof.
"The story about the Drowned Queen corresponds with our own intelligence," he clicks his tongue, "and it would seem we need to start a Heart-wide warrant for this Aliquami woman... And your remaining sister. They may have valuable intelligence about the enemy."
While he starts promising, the captain then lowers his voice down.
"I will deny your request though. There had been another drowning after Divesse - Grip Station is now lost. We are preparing for a fight ourselves and I will not dilute our forces just to antagonize the enemy."

Adumal Nindur
Adumal straightens up, taken aback by both the news and the captain's refusal.
Grip Station was one of the more important havens and loosing it was terrible news. It was also one of the better defended landmarks, ruled by capable Vermissian sages and recently reinforced with a few units of Hounds. If they got overwhelmed, then the enemy was more powerful than everyone expected.
"Captain, with all due respect, I believe that if we take the fight to th..."

"You are overstepping your boundaries, lieutenant."
The sharpness in Whisper's voice cuts Adumal short.
"You can ask the quartermaster for food and accommodation, however you are prohibited from leaving the landmark in case we have further questions. You are allowed to go and rest now."
OOC:
Giving space for Mahjid to react if he wishes to do so. If not, the audience will end and I will move the conversation with Adumal outside.
Feb 13, 2024 9:14 pm
Mahjid does his best to resist every urge to react. His nostrils flare, his teeth clinch, but despite the obvious discomfort, he manages to remain silent until the interaction is over and he's alone with lieutenant Nindur outside.

"Grip Station was a stronger bastion than the Temple in the first place, and we both know this enemy only grows stronger with every landmark claimed. The Captain's fighting a battle already lost" he tells Adumal, trying to put things in order and calm him down. "We need to act on our own. With everyone focused on the upcoming battle, we can slip through and do the unthinkable. I was going to tell the Captain if he doesn't want to help we'd take the initiative, but since he prohibited us from leaving, that would only alert him and make our escape harder."
Feb 15, 2024 7:55 am

Adumal Nindur
Once outside and in a safe distance, Adumal spits on the floor and growls.
"What an arrogant fucker."
Once Mahjid speaks up, the giant gnoll kicks one of the sandbags walls, toppling a few of the higher sacks.
"I've dutifully served the Hounds for over a dozen years, never seen an asshole like that! We bring him intelligence and an offer to build up an assault squad and this is how he repays us? By putting us into a fucking curfew, while one of my sisters got murdered and the second is missing?!"
This time he punches a sandbag, and curses it for good measure.

Ignoring the gaze of a few people noticing his tantrum from a distance, the black-furred gnoll turns towards Mahjid.
"There may be no coming back from this, you know that, right?"
It is clear what Adumal means by this - directly disobeying orders and leaving the landmark against the Captain's orders could very well be considered an act of desertion.
Feb 16, 2024 4:40 pm
Mahjid nods in understanding. "I do" he says with conviction. "The way I see it, we have two options. Do as instructed, lose the Temple and have the Drowned Queen continue her advance, at the expense of who knows how many lives. Or, take our chances and maybe have a shot at ending this."

The gnoll pauses, drawing a long breath. "Both scenarios have a good chance of us not making it out alive. So I guess the question here is how we go out, whether we want to make a difference or just be a few more faces in the crowd as we loyally wait for our underwater grave. I know I've made my choice."
Feb 17, 2024 5:20 pm

Adumal Nindur
Adumal looks Mahjid over from top to bottom.
"Looks like a rank Hound has more spine that a Captain. You have my respect, Mahjid."
With that, he offers his right arm for a handshake.
OOC:
Back when Mahjid was in the Temple for the first time, Sister Arielle, the leader of the temple, tasked him with finding Adumal's sister, Tenefer. Would Mahjid disclose this at any point in the past?

If so, I would transfer the scene to Adumal meeting with Arielle before the rest of the group finishes with Kendrick/Embers.
Feb 19, 2024 2:12 pm
OOC:
Yeah don't wanna bog things down by mentioning it now and hogging the spotlight with that interaction. Let's just assume he told Adumal at some point and fast forward to the meeting.
Feb 20, 2024 5:55 am
"Hold your tongue Ember, I don't report to you and Kendrick gets his chance to speak. You can listen or you can fuck off! I don't have time to entertain your bullshit when we have bigger threats to concern ourselves with"

Mahsa looks at the Stalker briefly wondering to themselves how far the loyalty goes, if they side with me the bond between us will be forever. If they turn on me it could be the end.

"Kendrick speak; what happened to you? How did you end moth-faced and in some dark dealings down there?"
Feb 28, 2024 10:55 pm
OOC:
Apologies for the delay folks, this week's been quite busy for me.

Sister ArielleMahjid the Voracious
It turns out that Sister Arielle is currently in prayers, and the two hounds wait patiently in front of a building, waiting for her to finish.
The Altar of Our Many Mothers was a chapel made from parts of other chapels and churches of various aspects of the Moon Goddess the drow of Spire worshiped. It looked every bit like it. The stones did not match with color nor size, but in the eyes of the faithful, this made them ever more sacred.

Sister Arielle
Once a familiar sound of two canes carrying an ancient drow body meets Mahjid's ears, he knows that the woman is coming.
"Does my old nose deceive my or do I smell a familiar wet dog here?"
Arielle's voice is even raspier than before. The old woman squints at the two hounds and Mahjid notices that while the sister used to carry a revolver on her hip, she now wears two. It was doubtful though that she would see anything more than a blurry spot from a distance greater than thirty meters, or so it would at least seem. The woman sniffs and squints as she pulls to the gnolls on her two canes.
"Ahh yes, I remember you, the one smelling of salt water, who came from Divesse! Smelling even worse than before, huh? So how did that little task I had for you pan out?"
The Tarred Stalker

Ember-Glow-Unveiled
"Watch your tongue, drow! You are speaking to a Hound lieutenant, I should have you all thrown into prison!"
With that, Ember stands up, overturning the chair he was sitting on.

Kendrick
Seeing Ember standing up, Kendrick immediately jumps to his feet and grabs his chair, ready to smash the aelfir with it. A few black moths leave from his clothing, fluttering around.
OOC:
Side note: As a song-thief monk, there is a huge chance that Kendrick is either forbidden to speak, or lost the ability to do so altogether. He can still write and communicate non-vocally though. Just making sure everyone is aware of this.
So far he did not say a single word during the whole time you have traveled with him.
Sergeant Borealis
"Hey! Calm down everybody!"
Seeing the commotion, the proprietor shouts from behind the bar as the few locals around turn their heads to see the source of the noise.
OOC:
Giving space here for anyone to deescalate the situation should you wish to do so. If not, Ember will leave the bar furious, and Kendrick will explain his story.
Fine with both options myself!
Feb 29, 2024 4:03 am
"Sit and let him explain himself! Can we give this mute something to write on?"

Mahsa eyes Ember ready to level him if needed, these hounds really have no understanding of how things work. Such blind obedience.

"All dogs need masters" Slips out with a chuckle...
Mar 3, 2024 2:53 pm
The Tarred Stalker

Ember-Glow-Unveiled
Hearing Mahsa's last remark, Ember's eyes glare up.
"What did you just say?!"
OOC:
Decking Ember would be a Kill+Haven roll if Mahsa wants to go for it!
Mar 4, 2024 3:44 am
"I said bring him somethong to write on! and for you to hold your temper because I don't report to you or anyone else and I want to see what he has to say."
OOC:
Mahsa has a trick up their sleeve if it turns into a combat but doesnt want to initiate anything.
Mar 4, 2024 12:01 pm
At Sister Arielle's question, Mahjid turns his head to give Adumal a look. As the higher ranking officer, brother of Tenefer and a newcomer needing to add his bit to the picture, it only makes sense to let him talk first.
Mar 5, 2024 3:51 pm
The Tarred Stalker

Ember-Glow-Unveiled
Ember is literally burning with anger, but the desire for answers prevails for now. The man pulls his chair back, but instead of sitting he just leans onto it with his foot while staring Mahsa and Kendrick down menacingly.

Kendrick
Meanwhile Kendrick manages to procure a simple wooden tablet, onto which he starts scrabbling.

Sickness got worse
Monks helped
I joined

As he writes the stuff, one of the voice-stealing moths casually exits the man's ear and stares at the Tarred Stalker. Meanwhile Kendrick turns the plate around to write more.

Hounds try to attack Monks, we defend.
Captured the leader and 1 more.
Don't know their fate.

The story does make sense. Mahsa remembers Kendrick being sick and looking for a cure and the Hounds of Ghorryn were often clashing against the song-thief monks, as did the apiarists whose territory also bordered them.

There were not many possible fates for the captives, that was for sure. While death would be the easy way out, there were a few wide-eyed, mute survivors with stories of men and women being turned into living hatcheries.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.