World-builder & Songwriter Here to Learn More!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 23, 2024 3:58 pm
Greetings!

My name is Kara. I've done a little play-by-post to compliment some TTRP games (D&D 5e, Pathfinder 2e, Fate, and more) and found myself thoroughly enjoying it. I really appreciate how deeply I can explore characters within the written medium. I am a regular & devoted poster and storyteller, and I'm also known for writing music/songs for my characters. The top four songs on my Soundcloud were inspired by RP campaigns, in fact!

Recently, I've been doing some world-building and plot & character development with a friend. We are excited to do some collaborative storytelling via play-by-post, but are looking to meet more like-minded people and learn more about the feel and mechanics of it all. I'm hoping to learn more about text-friendly systems that are rules light and narration friendly.

I heard that sometimes GMs offer to run short games that run a couple weeks. Is that true? That might be the perfect way for my friend and I to dip our toes in the water!

Either way, I look forward to meeting other individuals who share a passion for storytelling!

Kara
Feb 23, 2024 4:10 pm
Welcome, karabooo!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Feb 23, 2024 4:48 pm
Welcome to GP, karabooo! I'm sure you will find fellow collaborative storytellers to play with you. Games on Gamersplane can last years or a few months, and everything in between.
Feb 23, 2024 5:07 pm
Welcome Kara, I hope you find this medium as rewarding as I do.
Feb 23, 2024 5:10 pm
Welcome Aboard!

You'll find a friendly and welcoming community of TTRPG players on GamersPlane. It's a really good place to 'dip your toes' into the hobby. Lots of different game systems and genres of games are hosted here.

Psybermagi runs an introductory game for new players if you're looking for a good intro to RP and the GamersPlane site! Send them a message if they don't pop in with an offer soon.
Feb 23, 2024 6:08 pm
Welcome karabooo.

In case Psybermagi's teaching game is full/closed, I run a game for new players.

We use World of Dungeons, which is an easy 'one-page' ruleset based on the Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA) system.

It is an 'ongoing story', but is designed for drop-in/drop-out playing, so you are both welcome to join that for a few weeks (or as long as you like) and leave when you have had your fill (tell us first, of course, that is just good manners:).
Feb 23, 2024 7:06 pm
So, what I am hearing is my marketing team works for free. Great!
My game keeps me busy but if you don't mind joining an existing story I have another player who just started and they seem to like creating scenes. I use TinyD6 which is fairly basic but as play progresses I add some extra features that those who need a bit of crunch enjoy. Just send me a PM or post on my recruitment thread and I can send an invite.
Last edited March 2, 2024 3:33 pm
Feb 23, 2024 7:33 pm
Welcome to the community, Kara!
Feb 23, 2024 8:58 pm
Greetings and Salutations!
Feb 24, 2024 4:44 pm
Thank you so much for the warm welcome, everyone! So excited to be here! :)
Feb 24, 2024 5:10 pm
Your music sounds great Kara, and so diverse in approaches. Thanks for sharing.

Len

Feb 24, 2024 9:01 pm
Welcome to our community, Karabooo!
Feb 25, 2024 3:17 pm
Welcome! I can certainly affirm that lots of RPGers find the deep narrative storytelling aspects very fulfilling, and play-by-post offers a written element to that.
Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm
Welcome, Kara! I’m a new guy myself (as in: first post was yesterday), but I wanted to respond to this:
karabooo says:
I heard that sometimes GMs offer to run short games that run a couple weeks. Is that true? That might be the perfect way for my friend and I to dip our toes in the water!
While I can’t speak for the community at this point, I’ve run a few "one-shots" to completion. They usually take about a month or two to finish. It’s not so much about toes in the water, but the idea is to tell stories that end.

Also, it was cool reading a comment that a short game is desirable.

Best of luck to you and your friend!

(EDIT - also, the music is beautiful! Listening to WolfThorn Five while waiting for my daughter in the dance school parking lot.)
Last edited March 25, 2024 9:58 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.