Chapter 5.1: Byzantine bureaucracy

load previous
Mar 20, 2024 12:20 am
OOC:
Mercer would help, no expert but no minuses for this sort of thing either, probably enough for an Aid action if we have to roll.
Mar 20, 2024 12:22 am
OOC:
Quote:
BTW, the Celestial Voyager is a cruiser hull. I didn't think it could land. (More properly, it can't land and then take off again.) That's why we had to get the Solaris.
It can't, I am aware =)
Quote:
As we read through the regulations, please give us the outline so we can start planning on how we're going to approach this.
Okay... I suggest that there are sooo many regulations here that they contradict each other. So, I dont have an outline, I have a suggestion of how we can do that. =D

Anyone can gimme me an In Character rationale (you can invent the laws and regulations as much as I will do) plus an Administrate roll DC8 and we will see if this law is real. The dice will be the real gauge of how accurate is your pseudo-law or if the PCs misunderstood it and it will give you some trouble.

After a law is described, we follow from that.
Can we play this way? What do you think?
Mar 20, 2024 12:25 am
PhoenixScientist says:
OOC:
Mercer would help, no expert but no minuses for this sort of thing either, probably enough for an Aid action if we have to roll.
OOC:
Great. Mercer can help, you can roll Aid. (and the players can help as well, inventing those laws and regulations)

Mariella

htech

Mar 20, 2024 12:47 am
OOC:
Here is an example of how a PC could help Hank
With Valeria's blessing, Hank asked everyone who could and wanted to help to take a look around the laws and regulations of Verdura.

With a furrowed brow, Mariella meticulously sifted through the information, her eyes scanning the text for any glimmer of hope.

As she delved deeper into the labyrinthine laws, her gaze fell upon Mercantile Law 6,767, article 67. Her heart quickened as she read the words, a spark of recognition igniting within her.

"Because a cruiser cannot land on Verdura's surface," she murmured to herself, "it is entitled to send a shuttle to purchase goods in its place."

A sense of excitement bubbled up within Mariella as she realized the potential loophole in Verdura's strict regulations. As they couldn't land the Celestial Voyager on the planet's surface, perhaps they could send a shuttle in their place, allowing them to conduct trade and gather information without violating the law.

Quickly calling Hank, Mariella outlined her discovery.
Mariella
OOC:
Edit: She didn't succeed, so Hank won't receive a +1 in his roll and there is something wrong with her interpretation.

Rolls

Administer - Aid Hank's evaluation - (2d6-1)

(11) - 1 = 1

Captain Zaytsev

htech

Mar 20, 2024 1:01 am
Captain Zaytsev
Hearing Mariella's interpretation, but reading the same law, Valeria disagrees:

"But if I understand that correctly, in this case, the crew in the shuttle cannot conduct the trading. It must relay all the negotiations to the cruiser and back again, without autonomy or interference. If the shuttle is considered by Verdura's government an autonomous starship, then its crew could negotiate directly. I think we should contact traffic control from the shuttle and request permission to land. "
OOC:
Edit: Valeria interpretation seems better, but is also flawed somehow. Hank may find a solution, but also won't receive +1 from her.
OOC:
What do you do?

Rolls

Administer - Aid Hank - (2d6+3)

(31) + 3 = 7

Mar 20, 2024 2:46 am
Mercer is going to ask permission to get on the comms and then try to talk with simeone who can point them in the right direction of where to reference for the goods they have.

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Talk - Usual roll - (3D6h2+3)

(421) + 3 = 9

Mar 20, 2024 6:08 am
Douklan is confused. "Captain? Doesn't it seem odd to you that we didn't know about these regulations until now? We knew we were coming here, and we all read up about the trade regulations of our destination - well, OK, we read the executive summaries of the regs - but there wasn't anything in it about this bifurcated trade arrangement. That suggests to me either a criminal scam, trying to trick us into a situation where we agree to pay "approved proxies" to do the trading for us (for a fee), or a really recent change in regulation." Douklan searches through the records and the new trade code packet they've just received to see if he can figure out which.
OOC:
I'm searching through logged information about the system, its government, and its known crime, to determine which is more likely: a recent change in government that would lead to new, contradictory regs, or outlaws trying to scam us? I don't know the difficulty, or which skill to use: Notice (to find useful information in a flood of data) or Program (to compose and run searches with precision). For Douklan, the roll is the same for either skill.
During periods when his searches are running and he's waiting for responses, Douklan skims through the trading regulations packet they received. At one point, he becomes excited to see that there is still a law on the books that ITC Exploration Division members have preferred status for trading...but then he finds three other laws that don't actually rescind that law, but rather constrain it.
Last edited March 20, 2024 6:24 am

Rolls

Administer (looking for laws) DC8 - (2d6-1)

(11) - 1 = 1

Looking through systems to find recent news about the system (Notice or Program) - (2d6+2)

(36) + 2 = 11

Mar 20, 2024 9:55 am
OOC:
Either skill would work for me. I will describe using Notice.
Douklan furrowed his brow in deep concentration as he poured over the newly discovered regulations and legal documents. Something didn't add up. He couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at the back of his mind.

As he continued to dig deeper into the history of the regulations, Douklan's suspicions grew. He noticed a sudden flurry of legislative activity in the past four to five months. It hinted at something more than mere bureaucratic reshuffling. Reading some material from the Celestial Voyager databases and recent information available in the local planetary network, he learns about the Jade Pavilion, in Meixian.

The Jade Pavilion serves as the seat of governance, where the intellectual elite convene to shape the destiny of Verdura. Its elegant architecture is adorned with intricate jade motifs and traditional Chinese designs. Within its hallowed halls, the fate of the planet is decided through a complex web of examinations for government seats and political maneuvering to vote on new laws and regulations.

Verdura always had its fair share of laws and bureaucracy, but something has changed here and now it's much, much worse. Unfortunately, the Jade Pavilion cannot be remotely contacted, but it's sessions are open to the public and there are government agencies and private lawyers that could provide more information about that, if you wanna dig deeper.
OOC:
Do you wanna dig deeper and make understanding or even changing it a possible part of the adventure or just consider it a nuisance and try to work around those laws?
Mar 20, 2024 9:56 am
Quote:
Mercer is going to ask permission to get on the comms and then try to talk with someone who can point them in the right direction of where to reference for the goods they have.
Before talking, Mercer tries to find and Connect with a relevant person. Fortunately, he knows about Xiao Chen.

A shrewd entrepreneur and black market dealer, Xiao Chen operates discreetly within the shadows of Meixian's bustling streets. Specializing in acquiring rare artifacts and contraband goods, he possesses a network of informants and smugglers who help him procure items of interest to discerning buyers.

Mercer is also able to connect and then talk to a couple of regular merchants working in The Lotus Market.

A vibrant marketplace teeming with life and energy in the middle of Meixian, the Lotus Market is a sensory delight, where the aromas of exotic spices mingle with the colorful displays of fresh produce and handmade crafts. Vendors from across Verdura gather here to trade their wares, while street performers entertain the crowds with mesmerizing displays of music and dance.

They're willing to sell you agricultural products and other merchandise if Mercer meets then in Meixian. Strangely enough, they are not willing to buy your stuff, as that's seemingly illegal. They cannot trade imports, just local products.

Mr. Chen, on the other hand, can help you with whatever you want to buy or sell. For the right amount, of course.
OOC:
What do you do?

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Connect - Usual roll - (2D6+2)

(35) + 2 = 10

Mar 20, 2024 1:20 pm
Corbin moves through the ship, checking all of the 'new' systems and seeing how the ship faired on this first jump. He can't help but overhear the conversations around the laws of this latest planet.

"Sounds like soft rocks to me. Why don't we move on?"
Mar 20, 2024 1:37 pm
Reply to Corbin: "Two reasons. One, we owe it to the doctor to at least get down to check on her brother. Two, this is still our best opportunity to pick up some agricultural products which should sell well either on the other planet in this system (not likely since they probably get as much as they want already) or two worlds down the path. So, we still need to do our due-diligence before moving on. Otherwise, honestly, I'd agree with you."

Request to Mercer: "Can you use some of those contacts you might have to find out anything on the Doctor's brother?" He'll fill Mercer in as needed. Basically, it's a "am looking for my lost brother" story. "We need to find out if he's still alive and, if so, if we can get to him." Hank will give Mercer the required name and background information. Hank would not add in the second part if the doctor is actually there.
OOC:
Best case scenario: He's found love and is relatively happy where he is. It's just really hard to communicate out. The scenarios kinda go down from there, all the way down to: He's dead.
On to the Admin stuff. First, a roll to see if he figures out what Mariella and Valeria were looking at ...

Hank discovers that the communication doesn't have to come from the shuttle directly, but in fact cannot be done from orbit at all. The party to do the negotiation and even discovery has to go to the planet's surface and do the effort from there. (As long as this is DC8, Hank succeeded.)

He also tries to see what it takes to sell things here. He finds that it isn't that we can't sell, but rather that the selling agent and the buying agent must be different. When you register for one activity, you eliminate yourself from being able to do the other. (This is the second roll ...) And hopefully that one is correct!
OOC:
And I'm glad to see my expectations of Corbin's reaction was basically correct. :-)
Last edited March 20, 2024 1:48 pm

Rolls

Hank Heron: Administer - (3d6h2+2)

(433) + 2 = 9

Hank Heron: Administer DC8 - (3d6h2+2)

(643) + 2 = 12

Mar 21, 2024 12:07 am
OOC:
You passed both rolls (Verdura's laws are always DC8), each roll was related to a single subject, it doesn't contradicts nothing written previously, so yeah, those laws are that way now. =)

I will let Mercer and the crew RP with you.
Mar 21, 2024 12:21 am
Mercer is going to go to Hank, who he had found out did most of the dealing recently. I was able to get a hold of a contact I knew from last time I was here, Xiao Chen, who we can sell our goods to. I want to be up front though, not everything that Mr. Chen trades is strictly legal. As far as I know nothing really immoral but... I wanted you to know and be able to make a decision.
Mercer then changed tone from trying serious to a bit more optimistic. but some merchants in The Lotus Market are willing and able to sell to us, If we can get down to Mexican.
Last edited March 21, 2024 12:22 am

Dr. Emily Hart

htech

Mar 21, 2024 12:29 am
"Can you use some of those contacts you might have to find out anything on my brother, Mercer? Dr. Robert Hart. Last I heard, he was working at the Verdura Medical Research Institute"
Dr. Emily Hart
OOC:
Roll Connect DC6 if you wanna help her find someone.
Mar 21, 2024 12:36 am
Mercer does a slow nod, thinking. Probably, I can ask at least. Mr. Chen is the most.. widely.. connected person I know there, and he would be more inclined to look into things if we were trading with him.
I'll touch base with others before him and see what I can get.
Last edited March 21, 2024 1:41 am

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Connect - Usual roll - (2D6+2)

(41) + 2 = 7

Mar 21, 2024 2:56 am
"Well, if we can go meet him down on the planet, and he can make everything look up-and-up, we are willing to buy for a reasonable price."

Remember that whoever is buying and whoever is selling have to be different. Hank will be a buyer, which means he can't be a seller. Worst case, Hank can be the buyer and Mariella can be the seller. Mercer will have to pick which he wants to be. If everything appears to be OK with the doctor's brother, Hank will take her down with us to visit.

Oh, new roll coming. Hope it works, as it will give Mercer more freedom. Hank finds a law that says that while the trader has to work only one side, a fixer can work both sides. (Mercer is working as a fixer right now, as is his contact. He would have to involve another as the actual trader in any deal. Presumably, he would have several on hand.)

Rolls

Hank Heron: Administer DC8 - (3d6h2+2)

(152) + 2 = 9

Mar 21, 2024 9:31 am
Mariella summarizes the commercial restrictions that they discovered so far into a handy table:

Role Account Property Dice
Importer Cannot receive any credits, can transfer credits to someone else Can legally receive ownership of merchandise and assetsCan do or help rolls to buy
Exporter Can receive credits, cannot transfer credits to someone else Can legally transfer ownership of his merchandise to someone else Can do or help rolls to sell
Fixer Can receive credits Cannot give or receive assets (legally) Can do or help rolls to buy or sell

Most merchants in the Lotus Market are registered as exporters.

She also notices that the Celestial Voyager is considered an actor and its accounts can only be registered to receive or spend credits. She finds out that the local Stellar Express office is registered to sell stuff from other planets in Verdura (they can receive credits from local accounts)

The next step would be for the crew to go to the Celestial Gate in Meixian and register themselves and the Celestial Voyager into one of those roles.

This starport serves as the primary gateway to and from Verdura, connecting the planet to distant corners of the cosmos. Its sprawling expanse of runways, docking bays, and terminals bustles with activity as starships of all shapes and sizes come and go, ferrying passengers and cargo to their destinations. The Celestial Gate structures are adorned with intricate carvings depicting celestial beings and mythical creatures from Chinese folklore. It serves as both a symbol of the city's grandeur and a checkpoint for travelers seeking passage beyond Verdura's borders, where the coveted authorization permits hold the promise of adventure and freedom among the stars.
Erin, in the meantime, is looking forward to leave this crazy planet behind and go to Zyronis proper. She asks Corbin and whoever else is also bored with Verdura:

"Hey, should we do something else while they are 'having fun' with all that bureaucracy? I heard that Verdura's orbital station offers bars, restaurants, theaters... Even gigs and temporary jobs for those that cannot or will not land."
Mar 21, 2024 12:43 pm
Not usually one for excessive carousing, Corbin's been head down on the ship repairs and diagnostics for weeks now. Maybe it is time for a stroll outside the ship.

"Sure Erin, I think we can spare some time to do a little sight seeing and maybe grab a drink."
Mar 21, 2024 3:20 pm
Hank says, "Well, as a starting point, how about this? I can register as an Importer. Since that requires feet-on-the-ground, that means I will need to take the Solaris and head down dirt-side to see what I can find there. Plus, Emily can come along so that we can look for her brother, too.

"Do we plan on selling anything here? We should be able to wait on selling things until Zyronis. Maybe the storage devices might have a market here. But, if I'm registered as an Importer, then I can't be an Exporter. So, I guess Mariella can register as an Exporter and see if she can find any deals for any of our cargo.

"Also, if the Celestial Voyager can only spend or receive credits, let's also register the Solaris to do the opposite.

"Finally, I'd like to check with Stellar Express. While we are currently only 'rated' for another 25 tons of freight, they might be willing to take a bit more of a risk if they have anything pressing for an intrasystem trip. Even so, we'll have much more opportunity once we make our deliveries on Zyronis."
OOC:
If we are taking a trip planet-side, I am not sure who all wants to go. Hank and Emily for sure. Mercer if he wants to. I figure we rope Jil in, too, as pilot, unless she'd rather go bar-hopping with Corbin and Erin.
Mar 21, 2024 5:55 pm
Morgan is still trying to get used to the new crew, and now he's hit with all the new laws and regulations. He was very excited to try his hand at a bit of trading, but all the new limitations seemed a bit out of reach for him. He will try just to go along and keep his eyes peeled for some opportunity to participate in any good negotiations.

"Hey, Hank, I was thinking of tagging along on the planet-side excursion. I could do my job as security for all of you, and if you need extra people to register for something specific, I can also do it."

Morgan, accustomed to always having his full kit on him, assumes that it would attract too much attention and raise some eyebrows. So, he's wearing normal clothes and carrying a small backpack. However, as he gets ready to go, he notices a problem.

"I'm not sure how lawful or lawless the planet-side is. Do you think this would draw attention?"

he asks, pointing at his rifle. If the rest of the crew thinks it's too much, he's willing to borrow a pistol from someone or go unarmed.
load next

Thread locked