Chapter 5.2A: To sit under a tree

load previous
Mar 23, 2024 9:59 pm
After checking the details and a final plesantry, Mercer ends the call so Xiao can move on to other business.
Entering back in to the area where Hank, Peter and the StellarGrove representative are. Great News! More business all around. I'll be getting another ton of produce. Also, if you want the business Hank, we will get 5 more tons on behalf of my client to transport.
OOC:
I understood that Xiao would be getting 5, yes? If not, whatever number is correct is what Mercer says
This brings me to a total of 3.2?.
Let me just send you both the details you need.
OOC:
For Hank this list would include the "extra" container.
Last edited March 23, 2024 10:03 pm
Mar 23, 2024 10:16 pm
"As long as everything is above-board, we have the room to spare for a little more freight."
OOC:
He's OK with it because he has no idea what is going on. That "extra" crate needs to be mixed in with everything else so he doesn't even know it exists.
Last edited March 23, 2024 10:17 pm
Mar 23, 2024 10:42 pm
OOC:
Of course, otherwise you may be complicit.
Mar 23, 2024 11:16 pm
OOC:
40 tons for the CV, 1 ton for Peter, 3.2 tons for Mercer (assuming he won't get a loan after all and will just use an advance on his payment), 3 tons of "freight" for Xiao's.

That's almost 50 tons. The Solaris can carry 10.

What do you do?
Mar 23, 2024 11:26 pm
Make multiple trips? Mercer will volunteer to stay on ground and ensure cargo security.
(and make sure the extra container goes on last, and is stored out of the way)
Mar 24, 2024 1:35 am
Honestly, yeah, we're likely looking at multiple trips.
Mar 24, 2024 1:40 am
"Mercer don’t you want me to stay back with you? A bit of extra security for the cargo while we load it"

Peter is not trying to give him a hard time, just genuinely doesn’t know about the "extra cargo" and trying to be helpful.
Mar 24, 2024 1:43 am
"If you want, I just assumed we'd want to get everything loaded and unloaded as fast as possible so we can get to the hospital sooner."
OOC:
This so why we don't lie or keep secrets kids. Makes things tricky.
Last edited March 24, 2024 1:43 am
Mar 24, 2024 1:47 am
"I can help after all security officer includes securing our cargo, unless Hank need help with the ship."

Morgan has a small smile and is trying to be friendly with his new crew, specially trying to rise up to his new job title, since in the military he was more used to direct orders than more autonomy.
OOC:
This will be fun =). Don’t lie kids
Mar 24, 2024 3:34 pm
OOC:
@htech: Quick question: How many people does it take to move cargo around? Can just two people do it? Does it require a full team? I am assuming that three people can handle it just fine. So, a team of Hank, Jil, and Mariella should be able to move things around. So, if we're going to split the party, let's do this:
- Hank, Jil, and Mariella move the cargo. It will take five trips, so they load, move, unload, move, return, and start it all over again.
- Mercer "guards" the goods while we're making the trips.
- Peter and Emily go look for her brother. They don't necessarily make contact with her brother, but at least start the legwork needed to find him.

Hank really wanted to help Emily with finding her brother, but he has to take care of the cargo first, and this is going to take a few hours. At best, assume a ton requires 5 minutes to load onto the shuttle and 10 minutes to unload from the shuttle on the ship and you are looking at a full half-day of just that. (This is just for illustrative purposes. If it takes three times that to do safely, we take three times that. Hank is not going to needlessly risk things for speed. This was just a completely optimistic example to demonstrate this will not happen quickly.) That doesn't include transit time or anything else. Basically, it's going to take a full day to get this done.

I suppose that Peter can go with Jil and Mariella for the cargo runs and Hank could help Emily, but I don't know if that would cause any undo risk.

The other option is to leave Mercer and Peter with the cargo, and have Emily go with the shuttle, then just stay on the ship (or station) for the day it's going to take to get this done. Then Mercer and Peter come back with the last load, everyone gets some sleep, then we can all go back down and start anew on the second part.

Or ..., and I don't know if this is possible, we can leave the cargo in a secure location, all go help Emily, then come back and take care of the cargo. But that just doesn't seem like a good possibility to me, so I view the two main ideas above to be the best plans.
Mar 24, 2024 9:43 pm
As he returned to finalize the deal with the StellarGrove trader, Mercer couldn't shake the feeling that he was walking into a situation fraught with danger and uncertainty. But if it meant securing a larger Starfire Citrus deal and earning both Chen's and the Ironsides’ favor, Mercer was willing to take the risk.

With the deal brokered and Xiao Chen's favor secured, Mercer returned to the customs building to oversee the arrival of the first Starfire Citrus crates. The StellarGrove trader had not disappointed, and soon enough, the first shipment with 10 tons of crates arrived, each one filled to the brim with the precious fruit.

Under the watchful eye of Inspector Lin Xia, the crates were unloaded from the StellarGrove flyer and brought into the customs building for inspection. Lin Xia scrutinized each crate meticulously, ensuring that they contained nothing but the fruits.

After inspection, the cargo was loaded and Jil took off.

In total, a single round trip on the Solaris, with the help of everyone but Emily, took over 2 hours. There were 4 more trips left.

In the meantime, Emily was making some calls and looking for her brother in Meixian. She promised Hank that she would tell him if she found any clues. Although Hank wanted to help, he had a lot of paperwork to fill out and a team to coordinate. He left her alone, even more so after she told him emphatically that she would not return to orbit, especially since in doing so she would be risking a crazy law from this planet preventing her from returning.
OOC:
Let's finish the trading while she searches behind the cameras

As Mercer made his way back to the customs building to unload the next lot of Citrus, his holo-communicator buzzed with an incoming message. With a quick glance, he saw that it was from Ian, one of Xiao Chen's associates. Mercer's heart quickened, knowing that this message could hold important information regarding their arrangement.

Opening the message, Mercer read Ian's words carefully:

"Mercer, the freight will be ready in 6 hours. Meet us at the starport's docks as planned. Make sure you have everything in order for departure. Chen is expecting results."

It would be enough time to make it on the last outbound trip.
Hours later, 3 loads had already cleared customs and departed for the Celestial Voyager with Jil and Mariella aboard the shuttle. In orbit, the synth helped them quickly unload. In the meantime, Hank, Peter and Mercer prepared the next lot planet side. Peter even helped and exerted himself by carrying the bulk of those lots.
It was already late and everyone was tired. They were eating something while waiting for the Solaris to land. Discreetly looking at his datapad, Mercer excused himself and went to the docks.

A couple of minutes later, he stood in the designated location at the spaceport dock, his gaze fixed on the large box before him. It was significantly larger than a coffin, its seal gleaming under the artificial lights of the starport.

As Ian approached, Mercer couldn't help but feel a sense of unease settle over him. The urgency in Ian's demeanor and his tone was palpable. "This is the cargo you'll be delivering to the Ironsides in Zyronis," he explained, gesturing towards the sealed box. "It's perishable, Mercer. It needs to be delivered as soon as possible. You can see in this display how much time you have left. After 5 days, no matter what, he will wake up. You don't wanna that."

Mercer's brow furrowed in concern as he processed Ian's words. "Perishable" cargo was always a cause for concern, especially when the consequences of its "spoiling" could be dire.

"Anyway, a mutual friend told me to give you this. It's very specific and only really works in Verdura, but it is perfect for what you need." - continued Ian.

He gave Mercer a remote scrambler that could interfere with the bio scanners used by Verdura's police force. They wouldn't detect a person being transported as cargo. The only caveat was that its range was very short. Mercer would have to Sneak and stay close to the freight during the inspection and, to be completely sure, until they reached orbit.
OOC:
Mercer, what do you do?

Rolls

Hank Heron: Administer (coordinating loading and unloading) - (3d6h2+2)

(214) + 2 = 8

Hank Heron: Administer (Export bureaucracy) - (3d6h2+2)

(616) + 2 = 14

Peter Morgan: Unskilled (Str/Exert) - (2d6-1)

(54) - 1 = 8

Mar 24, 2024 9:55 pm
OOC:
About @daryen ideas, I think they are all valid, I just see a little problem with the first one, about leaving Morgan and Emily to go look for her brother, since he just got on the ship he wouldn’t know much about the missing brother, he would only accompany for protection or someone would have to explain everything to him beforehand.
Mar 24, 2024 10:15 pm
OOC:
Assuming that Hank can set everything up then it'll run on its own, Hank would very much prefer helping Emily. We'll see what @htech comes back with ...
Mar 24, 2024 11:26 pm
OOC:
Just so everybody else understands, I posted a message with "under construction" and edited it later.

I need to do that to see those rolls.

Arthur probably didn't see and posted while I was writing it, after my placeholder and my rolls, but before my edit. So his message is pointless now. =P
Mar 25, 2024 12:11 am
Considering Emily's concern, Hank will stay behind as the last load goes up.

"I'm going to stay and find out how Emily's search is going. You all need to go get some rest, and then you can decided whether you want to come back or stay on the starport. I'll radio up when we find out the resolution to Emily's situation. I'll get a room down here for the night."

No matter what, Jil and Mercer have to return. If Mariella and/or Peter want to stay, they can, too.

Once the last of the fruit is loaded (likely just before Mercer shows up), he will wander off to check on Emily and the results of her research. After tracking her down, he asks, "How is the search going?"

Mariella

htech

Mar 25, 2024 12:28 am
"I'll go back to the Celestial Voyager and stay there, to prepare our cargo bays for Zyronis. The Synths are making a mess, in my opinion." - she said to Hank.

"I'm sure you will find your brother, Emily." - Mariella finished, with a smile, before going with the last load.
Mariella
OOC:
Emily will answer after we finish Mercer's greedy sidequest. =)
Mar 25, 2024 12:28 am
Merceris going to wait until everyone is away, maybe when Peter is making a perimeter check and others are talking, to move the crate in with the last load. He will offer to help load the last group, being sure to keep the extra box shuffled where it isn't easily noticable.
Knowing that tiredness and everyone assuming they know what's going on will help veil his activity. If people aren't feeling suspicious they don't tend to see anything suspicious.
OOC:
You may be surprised to know that .... this sort of thing works IRL...
He is willing to come back down after if they still need help finding Emily's brother.
Last edited March 25, 2024 12:29 am
Mar 25, 2024 12:31 am
OOC:
I forgot to put the tiredness DM for Peter in the rolls below, so...
Mercer is able to sneak the extra box together with the Citrus, without Peter noticing it.

"Now for the customs officer..." - he thinks
OOC:
Gimme another Sneak roll. I will roll for Lin Xia and write the results simultaneously, after you

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Sneak - (2D6+1)

(33) + 1 = 7

Peter Morgan: Notice - (2d6)

(52) = 7

Mar 25, 2024 12:42 am
OOC:
I hope ties go to the PC!!

@PhoenixScientist is absolutely correct. Act like you know what you are doing and that you should be there, and people will assume you should. Doesn't work you have to produce papers and you have none, though.

Hank is missing Mercer's box because he doesn't expect it, and because he feels bad for leaving Emily hanging out to dry and wanting to make it up to her.
Mar 25, 2024 12:45 am
OOC:
Hopefully the customs officer will be in a similar state of mind, been on shift for a few hours, all the boxes(supposedly) have been checked...

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Sneak - Usual roll - (2D6+1)

(65) + 1 = 12

load next

Thread locked