Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
May 19, 2024 11:39 pm
OOC:
yeah even if it's like two minutes that's ~20 rounds.
May 20, 2024 4:32 pm
Peter will go for the cover behind the tree at BF57 and take a burst shot at R5
OOC:
i have been using a lot of ammo but i have already connected my laser rifle to the suit power as per page 2
Quote:
he will also connect the laser rifle to the energy feed interface of his assault suit and remind anyone who's also wearing one and might have forgotten like him
don't know if that would also apply to Douklan since i reminded him about it
Last edited May 20, 2024 4:32 pm

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - ToHit - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - Damage - (1d10+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

May 20, 2024 6:26 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 12:32 UTC

Abandoned dome, Underworld, Zyronis

Peter took a deep breath, steadying himself as he aimed his laser rifle at the last combat robot. With precision and determination, he fired a series of bursts, each shot finding its mark. The robot staggered under the onslaught, sparks flying from its damaged components. Finally, with a fizzle and a loud bang, the robot exploded, collapsing into a heap of twisted metal and circuitry.

The battlefield fell silent, the echoes of the explosion fading into the distance. Peter and Douklan lowered their weapons, relief washing over them as the immediate threat had been neutralized. But there was still work to be done.

In the meantime, Maya hurried to Corbin's side, her medical kit in hand. Corbin was stable but Maya knew he needed something more to regain his strength. She retrieved two Lift stims from her kit and carefully administered it to Corbin.
OOC:
Corbin, recover 19 hitpoints and add 2 System Strain.
"Hang in there, Corbin," Maya said, her voice filled with concern and determination. "This should help."

The Lift stim worked quickly, augmenting and amplifying Corbin’s body's natural response to physical injury and exhaustion. Within moments, his eyes fluttered open, and he took a deep, steadying breath. Color began to return to his cheeks, and his strength slowly returned.

As Corbin regained his strength, the sound of footsteps echoed through the cavernous dome. Hank and Mercer appeared, their expressions a mix of relief and determination as they surveyed the aftermath of the battle.

With Hank and Mercer now on the scene, the crew of the Celestial Voyager regrouped.

Maya's voice trembled as she spoke, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Thank you for saving me," she said, her words barely audible. The weight of the moment settled heavily upon her, the realization of what had been lost sinking in. Around her, the remnants of her salvage crew lay motionless, their faces a grim testament to the brutal fight they had endured.

In the meantime, James scanned the remains of the combat robots, his sensors noting the potential for salvage and repair. The twisted metal and shattered components held valuable resources and technology that could prove useful. However, the crew of the Celestial Voyager lacked the means to transport such heavy and cumbersome debris back to their ship.

Finally, Maya spoke up, her voice carrying a mix of hope and resignation. "The advanced core drive we were looking for is just north of this dome," she said, pointing in the direction. "My team was after it, but after everything that's happened, I won't claim it anymore. Those combat robots were defending it."
OOC:
What do you do?

Rolls

Lift (Corbin) - (2d8+4)

(87) + 4 = 19

May 20, 2024 7:05 pm
Sliding his pack off Mercer will hand it to James. There should be some room for salvage in there.(I have like 2 "slots" for it.)
Then he will go over to Maya and Talk with her. Partially to assess how she is reacting, making sure she won't go into unresponsive shock. Mostly to just be kind, let her decompress and talk about what just happened if she needs to. He knows what it's like to lose people on a mission so he can empathize.
Last edited May 20, 2024 7:13 pm
May 20, 2024 8:10 pm
"Does she mean that there are more of these robots?" Douklan wonders, as much to himself as to the others, as Mercer has already led Maya off to one side. "Seems to me that she'd want to get the core drive, so their sacrifice will have produced something." He hooks up his plasma projector to his suit to recharge it. "But if there are more defenders like these, I can see why she wouldn't." Plugged in now, Douklan goes over to check on Corbin, then checks the other salvage crew just to make sure that they find any others who might still be alive.
May 20, 2024 11:13 pm
Mercer took the opportunity to approach Maya. He could see the weight of the recent events pressing heavily on her, and he knew all too well the impact of such loss. With a kind expression, he stepped beside her.

"Hi, Maya. I'm Mercer," he introduced himself, offering a gentle smile. "I just wanted to check in and see how you're holding up."

Maya glanced up at him, her eyes weary but grateful for the concern. "Thanks. It's been... a lot to take in. I'm managing, but it's hard."

Mercer nodded, understanding her sentiment. "I get it. I've been through missions where we've lost people too. It never gets easier, but talking about it can help."

She took a deep breath, her shoulders sagging slightly as she allowed herself to lean on his empathy. "They were more than just my crew. Jax, Luca, Elena... they were like family. We were all looking forward to this mission, to finding something valuable. I can't believe they're gone."

https://i.imgur.com/r6gqxyX.jpeg

She hesitated for a moment, then sighed heavily. "I’m a qualified field surgeon and intensivist. I’ve saved countless lives in the past, but... I couldn’t save them. I couldn’t save my team." Her voice broke slightly, the weight of her regret evident.
OOC:
She has Heal-2
Mercer looked at her with understanding. "You did everything you could. Sometimes, no matter how skilled we are, we can't save everyone. It’s a hard truth to accept, but it doesn’t make you any less of a doctor or a person."

Tears welled up in her eyes as she nodded. "I know, but it doesn’t stop the guilt. I keep thinking about what I could have done differently. Maybe if I had been quicker, or if I had made different decisions..."

"Those 'what-ifs' will tear you apart if you let them," Mercer said gently. "You did your best under impossible circumstances. You were there for them when it mattered most. That’s what counts."

Maya took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "Thank you, Mercer. I just... I need a shower and some rest. I feel like I can’t think straight."

"Once we get back to the ship, we'll make sure you get both," Mercer assured her.
With his weapon now plugged in and recharging, Douklan felt a renewed sense of urgency. He couldn't shake the thought that there might still be other threats lurking nearby. He walked over to check on Corbin, who was leaning against a rusted gravcar, still regaining his strength after Maya's administration of the Lift stim.

"How are you holding up, Corbin?" Douklan asked, his tone concerned.
OOC:
What was Corbin's answer?
After Corbin's answer and a thumbs-up, Douklan moved purposefully through the debris-strewn area. The sight of the fallen salvage crew members weighed heavily on him, but he knew they couldn't leave without ensuring they had done everything possible to help.

He first checked Jax, the chief engineer. Jax's body lay motionless, and a quick check confirmed there was nothing more to be done. Douklan whispered a small prayer for him before moving on.

Next, he found Luca Vasquez. The navigator's lifeless form was a stark reminder of the fierce battle they had just fought. Douklan took a moment to close Luca's eyes, a gesture of respect for the fallen.

Finally, Douklan came upon Captain Elena Ramirez. The scene was heartbreaking, but he steeled himself, hoping against hope that there might still be a chance. However, it was clear that she had also succumbed to the brutal attack of the robot with the heavy machine gun.

With a heavy heart, Douklan stood and looked around the devastated area. The thought of more combat robots hidden in the shadows made his skin crawl, but he knew they couldn't afford to be paralyzed by fear.

Returning to Corbin, he gave a slight shake of his head. "They're all gone. No one else made it."
OOC:
What do you do?

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Talk - Usual roll - (3D6h2+3)

(442) + 3 = 11

May 21, 2024 12:54 pm
"Another day at the office Douklan." Corbin checks over his suit and gear, making sure everything is squared and ready to move.

"Did I hear there's core drive waiting to be picked up?"
May 21, 2024 1:47 pm
Hank says, "I'm all for getting the core drive and bringing it back, but ..." He pauses for a moment, then continues, "How big is it, and how are we going to move it back? Also, what are we going to do with those that didn't survive this fight? I hate to just leave their bodies behind. Do we have anything to carry all of this back? Other than just our backs?"

And to Maya he says, "I don't know what you have available to you when we get back, but I have a job for you if you are interested."
May 21, 2024 1:52 pm
OOC:
It's probably already hooked up to something that can move it, a gravsled or something, because Maya's team was moving it. But I don't know if Mercer would say that because that's not where his head is at.

Maya Chen

htech

May 21, 2024 4:16 pm
Maya Chen
Quote:
"Did I hear there's a core drive waiting to be picked up?" - said Corbin.

Hank says, "I'm all for getting the core drive and bringing it back, but ..." He pauses for a moment, then continues, "How big is it, and how are we going to move it back? Also, what are we going to do with those that didn't survive this fight? I hate to just leave their bodies behind. Do we have anything to carry all of this back? Other than just our backs?"
Hearing that, Maya, still shaken, but better after her talk with Mercer, began to explain her team's original plan to retrieve the core drive. The remaining members of the Celestial Voyager crew gathered around her, listening intently.

"We had a solid plan," Maya began, her voice steady despite the grief underlying her words. "We came from the north, riding hovercycles and pulling a grav sled to transport the core drive once we secured it. We had maps of the area and solid intel on the frigate, so we thought we were prepared for whatever we might face."

She paused, her eyes distant as she recalled the sequence of events. "Everything was going smoothly until we reached the electrical substation. That's where things took a turn for the worse. Jax, our chief engineer, was shot by a couple of nutjobs trying to force us out of the area. They seemed to think they had some kind of claim to it. We lost the bikes and the sled there."

James, ever the analytical one, asked, "Did you know who they were? Any idea why they were there?"

Maya shook her head. "No idea. They didn't seem like they belonged to any official group, just some desperate individuals trying to stake a claim in a place where they shouldn't have been. We couldn't talk to them properly. Either way, we managed to retreat, but it was a hard fight. Jax was already hurt, and we had to fend off some giant rats on our way south. We had our hands full even before we encountered the combat robots."

Maya paused, a bitter smile crossing her lips. "It was like one nightmare after another. We finally made it to the northern entrance of this dome, and that’s when we stumbled upon the core drive. We didn't realize until too late that the five combat robots were there, probably set up as a defense system to protect it."

Peter leaned in, his curiosity piqued. "So you found the core drive almost by chance?"

"Pretty much," Maya confirmed. "We were exploring, trying to find a safe place to regroup and tend to Jax's injuries. The dome seemed like the best option at the time. Just four entrances, each one in a cardinal direction, fully mapped by our intel. But once we got close and saw the core drive, we knew we had to try to check and secure it. The robots attacked almost immediately. We had no choice but to retreat here and hold out as best we could. The robots were relentless, clearly programmed to protect the area at all costs. We didn't have time to analyze them or the crash site properly. All we could do was fight back and try to survive until you arrived."
Quote:
"I don't know what you have available to you when we get back, but I have a job for you if you are interested." - said Hank
"Thank you, Hank," she replied, her voice shaky but sincere. "I really appreciate the offer. But I think I need a few days to think this through and put my things in order. Losing my crew... it’s a lot to process."
OOC:
She will accept, just give her some time ;)

Anyway, what do you do?
May 21, 2024 4:34 pm
I think we should try and secure the Drive. It's not... Something should come from all this.
Besides I think I can talk to the ... Locals...
And if we get that gravsled secure we might be able to transport some more of this salvage or the hovorcycle salvage.
May 21, 2024 5:34 pm
Hank smiles at Maya's answer and says, "I don't expect an answer here. The point right now is just to make sure you know you have options. We can talk later when we're safe and out of danger if you decide you are interested."

After giving that a couple seconds, he continues, "Again, how big was that drive core? If we don't get the sled, we'll need to carry it. Is that even possible? We do need to bring it back, if at all possible."

Maya Chen

htech

May 21, 2024 6:39 pm
Maya Chen
"Its big and weights almost 24 tons. You will need vehicles and/or the sled, can't carry it in our backs, unfortunately. Jax was supposed to split that into reasonable parts for us."
May 21, 2024 10:54 pm
"So our only option that results in our returning with the drive core is to go back to that electrical substation and reclaim the salvage team's bikes and sled." Douklan explicitly states the obvious, a practice he developed from years in the military. He gently inquires of Maya: "How far from here do you think it is to where you fought the rats, and how much further from there to the substation?" then adds to the rest of the group, "We'll need to know that to see if it's feasible to go there, come back here, and then leave for our shuttle."
Last edited May 21, 2024 10:56 pm

Maya Chen

htech

May 21, 2024 11:02 pm
"Unless you brought your own vehicles, yes."- Dr. Chen answered, nonetheless. Captain Elena Ramirez also stated the obvious before risking their lives, so Maya was used to that.

"About half a mile until the abandoned garage where we fought with the rats, another half a mile to the eletrical substation"
Maya Chen
OOC:
The eletrical substation is at G2. One square = 1 mile
https://i.imgur.com/lvmGYwM.jpeg
May 21, 2024 11:05 pm
A mile total then. We can do that in ten minutes, probably without pushing ourselves. It would make sense to go look.
May 21, 2024 11:07 pm
"Sounds about right, Douklan. As long as we keep him upright, Corbin can do that for us." Turning back to Maya, "If we're gonna do this, we'll need you to help guide us to the bikes and sled, and then to the substation. It'd be great if there was a way we could get our shuttle to meet us there, but that isn't possible. Hopefully, between or efforts we have cleaned out the defenses."

Maya Chen

htech

May 21, 2024 11:13 pm
"Okay." - Maya said. - "But we need to find someplace for my friends to rest, at least until we come back and take them to Zyronis..."

She sounded like they were just sleeping.
Maya Chen
May 22, 2024 2:14 am
"If we are going to take them back to Zyronis, we have to take them with us. If we leave them here, we might not be able to return here, and they might not be here if we do come back. We need to either bury them here, or take them with us."

Maya Chen

htech

May 22, 2024 8:38 am
"Okay." - she answered meekly, letting the CV crew decide.
OOC:
What do you do?
Maya Chen
load next

Thread locked