Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
Apr 14, 2024 4:29 pm
OOC:
Quote:
As a complete aside, what armor is everyone wearing, and what weapon is everyone equipped with? I don't remember seeing a full list of what we are actually equipped with.
This combat will also help me understand that for the mission, but I suppose an Assault suit and a laser rifle, would be the "heavy" standard loadout for the crew with a military background. Peter, Corbin and Douklan can still change that, if they want to. A Combat Field Uniform for those who can't wear a military powered suit or wanna a lighter gear is also available.
Quote:
Would it be possible to climb the walls if one had sufficient ability?
Exert DC10. Hard but feasible for someone trained.
Quote:
How about the "ceiling"?
It is very very high. Falling would be fatal.
Quote:
Is it possible to rig up a blast charge to go off a second after the door opens? Or somewhere between us on a remote?
Not enough time and skill for a precision detonation to hit a moving object. With an open/uncontrollable explosion, the blast radius is 40 meters (132 feet) so it would take both ships.
Quote:
This is why I was hoping we owned a heavy weapon we could mount on a stand.
I didn't think you were a special ops / merc / heavy weapons team. With the kind of gear you are going for now, it does look like it. =) Anyway, that's something for the next mission, if you wanna get one.
Apr 14, 2024 4:49 pm
OOC:
Here's my point.
Why are we determined to fight this thing when we have explosives and a ship?[l A ship that can go further away or just... Up...?
It seems foolish?
We don't Have to be this close either, even without the explosives some range is smart so we can get a read on it before we start firing on it.
Or we just take potshots from a hovering shuttle. It's less exciting but way smarter.
Apr 14, 2024 4:57 pm
OOC:
Let's wait for the others to contribute.

Also, a salvaged shuttle is worth money.
Last edited April 14, 2024 4:59 pm
Apr 15, 2024 1:58 am
Douklan, already climbing up onto our shuttle with his plasma projector, replies: "That shuttle is containing it - whatever it is - for now, and has been for a while. Let's get into position and ready to fire if and when a threat actually manifests." He takes a bead on the doors of the other shuttle. "And I agree with Hank: we were sent to rescue people, expecting trouble. They were on a different mission, where trouble was only a possibility."
Last edited April 15, 2024 2:01 am
Apr 15, 2024 12:28 pm
OOC:
Corbin is wearing his assault vac suit with laser rifle, as per my sheet.
"I'm not comfortable leaving a threat 'behind' us, whichever way we go. Also, the mission was rescue or confirmation of death. If the team were trying to find is dead in that shuttle, this is the fastest way to find out."
Apr 15, 2024 4:18 pm
"Hey, Corbin, you're wearing your lucky suit from Alfredo's explosion, right?" - Erin jested. She didn't continue because, as she said this, Hank opened the doors of the other ship.

As the heavy doors of the abandoned shuttle creaked open, the darkness within seemed to swallow the light spilling from the Solaris's floodlights. For a moment, all was silent, the only sound the faint hum of distant machinery echoing through the cavernous space.

Then, with a sudden burst of movement, a monstrous figure emerged from the shadows. Its form was grotesque, a hybrid of flesh and metal, huge, with cybernetic enhancements gleaming in the white light. It was a creature unlike any the crew had ever encountered. A grotesque fusion of organic and cybernetic components, it lumbered forth on massive, metallic legs that gleamed in the dim illumination. Its upper body, reminiscent of a gorilla, was enhanced with various cybernetic implants, giving it an imposing and formidable appearance.

The creature's eyes glowed with an eerie crimson light as it scanned its surroundings, its enhanced senses detecting the presence of the crew nearby. With a guttural growl, it raised its massive fists, the metallic knuckles gleaming menacingly in the Solaris' blinding lights.

https://i.imgur.com/0dhF89U.jpeg
OOC:
And here is the map. Those are suggested starting positions but you can change that if you wanna. Specially Mercer can tell me where he was when Hank opened the doors, as I was not sure he agreed with the plan (but the rest of the crew said they were doing this, so we are doing this =))
OOC:
We're in combat. I'm using group initiative (page 48), as always, but from now on I will roll initiative for the PC's as well, to make it easier and to expedite things.

You won, because Mercer is alert and fast, so even with those terrible rolls PC's goes first, in whatever order you post.

What do you do?

Rolls

PCs initiative (using Mercer's skill) - (2d8h1+1)

(21) + 1 = 3

Enemy initiative - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Secret Roll

Apr 15, 2024 4:30 pm
This isn't over. I have some words later unless this gets me killed.
Mercer raises his pistol and fires.
OOC:
position is fine
It looks like it's over 100 ft because of the diagonal so I'm using the -2.

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Shoot - Usual roll-Ling Range - (1D20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Apr 15, 2024 9:17 pm
htech says:
OOC:
I didn't think you were a special ops / merc / heavy weapons team. With the kind of gear you are going for now, it does look like it. =) Anyway, that's something for the next mission, if you wanna get one.
OOC:
That changed when we got the Armory. In this game we are all squishy little things. If we have the means to maximize our chances of survival (by doing lots of damage and being heavily armored to resist damage), it would seem unwise to not take advantage of what has already been paid for.

Side note: Hank will be getting trained on how to use the Assault Suit. Not gonna miss out on that next time.
Hank takes a shot with the laser rifle he swapped out for.

Rolls

Hank Heron: Shoot - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Apr 16, 2024 5:29 am
Douklan, already in place and prepared, fires his plasma projector. It whines, building up the repulsive force to eject the magnetic field containing the plasma. In the second it takes for the bubble to form, everyone can feel the heat radiating off of it. The plasma and the field are totally silent, but the ejection is very loud. The plasma sphere flies across the cavern toward the cybernetic monstrosity.
OOC:
Note 1: Ranges for weapons are in yards, so we're well within range for any of our ranged attacks, except maybe something thrown.

Note 2: If I've gotten the To-Hit bonus wrong, just adjust it accordingly. I don't see why it would be different than the laser rifle, but...

Rolls

Plasma Projector, damage on a hit - (1d20+6, 2d8+1)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

2d8+1 : (76) + 1 = 14

Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am
OOC:
Ranges for weapons are actually in meters, with yards close enough (unless you're working for NASA). So Mercer's pistol and other weapons are within range, but a 13 doesn't hit either. I will wait for the remainder of the PCs to post their actions before I can act for the cybernetic ape, as we are still within the agreed posting rates and that's fine.

Douklan did hit, his "to hit" bonus is correct, but laser weapons don't receive a bonus for damage, just accuracy, so his damage is 13.
Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm
Corbin aims down the sights of his rifle and lets the quiet 3 round bust of laser light reach out to his target.
OOC:
Gunslinger: You may add your Shoot skill level to a ranged weapon’s damage roll.
Last edited April 16, 2024 12:31 pm

Rolls

To Hit - (d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Damage - (d10+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Apr 16, 2024 2:19 pm
OOC:
Just so I can picture it, what is the monsters AC and dex mod?
Apr 16, 2024 4:04 pm
htech says:
Douklan did hit, his "to hit" bonus is correct, but laser weapons don't receive a bonus for damage, just accuracy, so his damage is 13.
OOC:
Ah, I was assuming that Dexterity was the attribute used for ranged weapons, applied as per the rules for combat: "On a hit, the attacker rolls the weapon's damage and adds their relevant attribute modifier." Sorry for the mistake; I'm still learning the system.
Last edited April 16, 2024 4:06 pm
Apr 16, 2024 7:38 pm
Peter takes aim with his assault rifle and let's out a burst

"HANK WE SHOULD REALLY THINK ABOUT GETTING A MOUNTED GUN"
OOC:
is not that obvious in written form, but I’m not shouting at him, saying it camly but raising my voice to get over the sound of fire
Last edited April 16, 2024 8:00 pm

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Combat Rifle - ToHit - burst(+2) - (1d20+1+2)

(15) + 3 = 18

Peter Morgan: Combat Rifle - Damage - burst(+2) - (1d12+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Apr 16, 2024 7:48 pm
"Who’s on the controls of the ship? We should really be ready to raise up the ship if that things gets much closer"

He keeps his aim pointed at the beasts and talks over his shoulder to the rest of the crew
Apr 16, 2024 10:44 pm
OOC:
Quote:
Ah, I was assuming that Dexterity was the attribute used for ranged weapons, applied as per the rules for combat: "On a hit, the attacker rolls the weapon's damage and adds their relevant attribute modifier." Sorry for the mistake; I'm still learning the system.
Actually, my bad. I was too focused on the laser bonus, but you're right, Douklan has a Dexterity modifier for his ranged weapons damage. 14 it is =)
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 10:12 UTC

Underworld, Near the Forbidden Regions, Zyronis

As the monstrous hybrid creature emerged from the abandoned shuttle, Hank and Mercer unleashed a barrage of fire. Their shots found their mark but striked the creature's armor and mechanical components. As such, the damage inflicted seemed minimal, the creature's cybernetic parts absorbing the impact without faltering.

But Douklan stepped forward with his plasma projector. With a low whine, the device hummed to life, building up the repulsive force necessary to eject the magnetic field containing the plasma. The air crackled with energy as the plasma sphere formed, the intense heat radiating off of it palpable even from a distance.

In a split second, the plasma sphere shot forth from Douklan's weapon, hurtling across the cavern with incredible speed. The silence of the plasma's flight was shattered by the deafening roar of its ejection, echoing through the vast expanse of the chamber. The sphere collided with the cybernetic monstrosity, engulfing it in a searing blaze of energy.

Meanwhile, Erin, Corbin and Peter coordinated their attacks with precision. Corbin and Erin aimed down the sights of their laser rifles, unleashing a quiet but deadly burst of light that sliced through the air with lethal accuracy. Peter, wielding his assault rifle, joined in, letting out a sustained burst of gunfire that peppered the creature's meat.

As the combined onslaught of plasma, laser, and ballistic fire rained down upon the creature, its cybernetic components began to sizzle and smoke. With a final, guttural roar, the creature staggered, its monstrous form wracked with pain and damage beyond repair.

And then the creature collapsed to the ground, its lifeless form lying motionless amidst rubble and debris from its cybernetic parts.

As the whole crew regrouped, their weapons still poised for any sign of further danger, they knew that their journey was far from over.
OOC:
End of combat. Overwhelming fire does that. Almost everything in this game are "squishy little things". =)

Anyway, what do you do?

Rolls

How long before Hank opened the doors (minutes) - (2d8)

(13) = 4

Apr 16, 2024 11:16 pm
Mercer spins on the rest of the crew. What in the absolute hell was that? Are you all void-mad?
You all realize we got lucky, right? What if that thing had been better armored, or faster? Or Both?
What if there was more than one?
We had no info and you all think that we don't need it because we're invincible because we have shiny new toys? I've seen people die because they think they have shiny new toys that will protect them.

He gestured at Peter. At least someone realized a precaution should be taken, but it was too little too late.
If you all keep going in on impulse power you'll find yourself in over your head. And when you realize it someone is usually dead.
And when they do weigh that body against your pride.

Anyone with a good insight might be able to tell Mercer isn't just yelling at the people with him right now, though he may not notice that
Apr 16, 2024 11:25 pm
Mercer words strike deep into Peter, he feels responsible for the lack of command in what should be his speciality, combat, he looks a bit taken back with the comment that he acted late, but knows it's true so just keeps quiet.

Peter keeps his gun aimed at the lifeless body of the beast while he scans the horizon for any new threats.

"We should take this extra slowly, let's leave someone here on the ship in case wee need a fast exfill, and let's make our way forward slowly, form a line of fire spaced from side to side, and let's start by making sure that thing will not wake up"

Erin Brand

htech

Apr 16, 2024 11:59 pm
"I can stay with Jil and protect our shuttle. I don't think a single person is enough with those cybernetic apes, or whatever they are, around." - said Erin.
Erin Brand
Apr 17, 2024 2:22 am
"Thank you Erin"

Peter make sure there are at least some of the crew still aiming in the direction they just got attacked an organizes his gear, he will reload his stow his assault rifle, and ready his laser rifle, he will also connect the laser rifle to the energy feed interface of his assault suit and remind anyone who's also wearing one and might have forgotten like him

"Long time without wearing one of these, i forgot how fun they are"
OOC:
@htech organized my sheet with the equipment i'm taking
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.