Recruiting: Bleach (anime/manga) Game using Cortex

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Apr 15, 2024 2:55 pm
Tickettbror says:
Feirgon says:
Finally, AI will not be making any decisions. It is only a tool for coming up with thematically rounded Zanpakuto names, general powers, and what the forms Shikai and Bankai might take. This is to supplement what people want or hope to see from their Zanpakuto not to override.
See this was the issue I had, I’d be more okay with AI for NPC zanpakuto but even as a supplement I take issue with having AI in the player creative journey. I’d rather design and name my zanpakuto myself, you know?
Oh, I think I get what you are saying. However, in my experience, I find that some people either find it too daunting to come up with every aspect of the Zanpakuto or want there to be an element of discovery. However, of neither of these apply to the players who are interested, there would be no reason to supplement their imaginations.
Apr 15, 2024 3:07 pm
I guess I could see the discovery aspect, potentially. I've been reading up about Cortex and I could see it's application for a system here. If you are okay with dropping the AI from PCs (or alternatively a hybrid of keeping it for those interested, and letting those that aren't keep separate) then I'd definitely be up for playing!

Although, I'm interested in which Traits you plan to keep (or add) and and stuff like that, or if I'm even reading the right rulebook... XD
Last edited April 15, 2024 3:09 pm
Apr 16, 2024 2:06 am
If we do go the route of Cortex, here is the Primer: Cortex Primer

As for which parts I'll be using:
[ +- ] Planned Cortex Mods
I do want to put it out there that I am open to using other systems if it will get more people interested in the game.
Apr 16, 2024 8:26 am
I've been reading the Cortex Primer. I don't want to deviate too much from the topic, but how would combat work within this system?
Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm
Khulod says:
I've been reading the Cortex Primer. I don't want to deviate too much from the topic, but how would combat work within this system?
An example combat:
[ +- ] Example Combat
The above is a very simple example, and doesn't include any dice tricks from SFX that the PC can use or environmental assets that either the PC or GMC can create during the exchange.
Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm
Thank you for taking the time to explain, it makes sense. With a little hand-holding I think I can understand this system.

My only gripe with the system so far is it is extremely simplistic. Characters and enemies will hardly have any uniqueness to them stats-wise.
Apr 16, 2024 5:35 pm
That tends to happen a lot with rules light games without locked in settings. The differentiation presumably comes with description, tactics, and distinctions. I'm sure it would be possible to broaden the stat blocks, but it would give more work to the GM.

I assume we'd be spending most of our time fighting Hollows anyway, at which point do they need a whole lot of complicated stats besides? (I suppose more unique ones might.)
Apr 16, 2024 6:00 pm
Khulod says:
Thank you for taking the time to explain, it makes sense. With a little hand-holding I think I can understand this system.
You are welcome and I am happy to explain.
Khulod says:
My only gripe with the system so far is it is extremely simplistic. Characters and enemies will hardly have any uniqueness to them stats-wise.
Tickettbror says:
That tends to happen a lot with rules light games without locked in settings. The differentiation presumably comes with description, tactics, and distinctions. I'm sure it would be possible to broaden the stat blocks, but it would give more work to the GM.

I assume we'd be spending most of our time fighting Hollows anyway, at which point do they need a whole lot of complicated stats besides? (I suppose more unique ones might.)
To your second point, I will agree with what Tickettbror said. Rules lite systems tend to have rules that focus on allowing space for narrative input rather than rigid adherance to specific outcomes. I do get the appeal of systems with rigid and tightly interwoven rules, but they have grown out of favor with me in PbP.
Apr 17, 2024 6:21 pm
Well I'm willing to give it a try. The system doesn't seem hard to learn, so that's a plus.

I don't mind the AI generation of the Zanpakutō. I think that not having full control over its emerging powers is in fact in line with the Bleach universe, where the Zanpakutō have traits that match their wielders, but are still separate beings. I would like to have some control over the theme however (elemental, Kidō, etc).

For example, I asked ChatGPT to make a cat-themed Zanpakutō and it made this lovely abomination.
Quote:
Certainly! Creating a cat-themed Zanpakutō from Bleach sounds like a fun challenge. Let's get creative!

Zanpakutō Name: Nekomata (猫又), which translates to "Cat Demon" or "Feline Spirit."

Shikai: "Purr, Nekomata!"

Upon activation, the blade transforms into a sleek, elegant katana with a hilt adorned with motifs of cat eyes and whiskers. When the command is uttered, the blade resonates with a soft, melodious purr, signaling the release of its power.

Shikai Abilities:

Nekomata's Gaze: The wielder gains the ability to see through illusions and detect hidden enemies by tapping into the keen senses of a cat. This ability grants enhanced perception, allowing the wielder to anticipate opponents' movements with precision.

Claws of the Feline: With a swift motion, the wielder can generate razor-sharp energy claws from the katana, extending their reach and cutting through almost anything with feline agility and precision. These energy claws can slash through spiritual barriers and defenses with ease.

Bankai: "Roar, Nekomata no Ōkami!" (Nekomata's Great Wolf)

Upon invoking Bankai, Nekomata undergoes a dramatic transformation. The sleek katana expands and reshapes, turning into a majestic nodachi (long sword) with intricate carvings of feline features along its blade. The wielder's attire may also transform into a sleek, cat-inspired armor.

Bankai Abilities:

Feline Dominion: The Bankai envelops the battlefield in an aura reminiscent of a wild cat's territory. Within this domain, the wielder gains absolute control over the surrounding spiritual energy, allowing them to manipulate it at will. They can shape this energy into various forms, such as constructs resembling cats, and unleash devastating attacks.

Nine Lives Unleashed: The Bankai grants the wielder unparalleled speed, agility, and strength, akin to that of a mythical beast. They can move effortlessly, striking with ferocity and grace, and possess the endurance to withstand formidable assaults. Additionally, the Bankai bestows upon the wielder nine lives, allowing them to endure fatal blows and regenerate from injuries.

Feline Fury: By channeling the primal rage of a wild cat, the wielder can unleash a devastating attack known as "Feline Fury." This technique gathers spiritual energy into the blade, culminating in a powerful energy wave resembling a roaring feline, capable of obliterating anything in its path.

With its Shikai and Bankai abilities, Nekomata embodies the grace, agility, and ferocity of a cat, making it a formidable weapon in the hands of a skilled Soul Reaper.
Last edited April 17, 2024 6:27 pm
Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm
It seems those interested in the game are comfortable with Cortex, so I'll set up a recruitment this weekend.

P.S. I've been training chatgpt so this is the output I get when I ask for cat themed zanpakuto:
[ +- ] Two Cat Themed Zanpakuto
Last edited April 18, 2024 11:19 pm
Apr 26, 2024 7:35 pm
I'd like to play if you got the room. I have lived in the Bleach anime there for a while and I am a fast learner.
Apr 27, 2024 12:46 am
Still doing the prep work to get the game up, was a bit more than I anticipated. Though, I am hoping to finish up this weekend and starting recruitment.
Apr 27, 2024 3:20 pm
Game is open! Below is a formatted Character Sheet for everyone to use.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Last edited April 27, 2024 3:24 pm
Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm
[ +- ] Character Sheet Template
Last edited April 27, 2024 3:41 pm
Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm
I'm the resident Cortex fanboy so kudos for running a game using my favorite system! I think your players will find themselves pleasantly surprised by the versatility of the system.
Apr 27, 2024 7:07 pm
I am interested. If you wish, you can invite me. (can we choose our zanpakuto or it will be random?)
Apr 30, 2024 12:37 am
I sent you an invite Alepous.

As for the nature of your Zanpakuto, that can be fully decided by yourself or you can choose to have some amount of randomness applied if you would prefer to discover its power.
Apr 30, 2024 7:48 pm
Did the base character sheet. I have a concrete idea for shikai and bankai (taken directly from a comic scenario that I am writing based on the Bleach mythology). So what I use for distinctions? Just whatever I like or it's something more rigid? What about the zanpakuto abilities?
Apr 30, 2024 8:42 pm
I am not that well versed in the system, but happy to join if you still have some free spots!
May 1, 2024 3:49 am
seifi says:
I am not that well versed in the system, but happy to join if you still have some free spots!
Invite sent seifi.
Alepous says:
Did the base character sheet. I have a concrete idea for shikai and bankai (taken directly from a comic scenario that I am writing based on the Bleach mythology). So what I use for distinctions? Just whatever I like or it's something more rigid? What about the zanpakuto abilities?
Added the character creation guidlines as a thread to the Character Forum.
Last edited May 1, 2024 3:53 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.