A Grave reprieve

Apr 18, 2024 11:12 pm
[ +- ] Felix
OOC:
Welcome to the game @Nuttyartist
Apr 18, 2024 11:20 pm
Having set out for a grand life Felix followed his ancestors advice and soon picked up work as a caravan guard. One thing lead to another and Felix ended up moving further and further from his homland only to find that most of the world looked much as where he had come from.

Taking a job that promissed to broaden his horizons Felix looked forwards to his first ocean voyage. Rising early he had alrady broken his fast and headind to the dock to find Bjorne. The boy who had told Felix of this job insisted Felix would be able to identify the old man from his description alone. Which mostly boils donw to being th loudest and most creative cusser on the dock.
[ +- ] Bjorne
After some encuraging other features were also described. Old. Hairy. Big. Oh, and he has a beard.
Apr 19, 2024 2:19 pm
Using a fish bone to pick his teeth clean Felix sauntered towards the dock. Carrying all that he owned in various small satchels and pockets (such as his deck of cards, 2 flasks filled with whatever is strong and trendy, and a hair brush), but what stood out were the cross weapons on his back. One, his ancestral great sword (haunted by Florial) and the other not actually a weapon but his spade (tool of his trade). This spade was also passed down his family line of grave diggers and was magical in nature.

Various ships, boats and other sea bearing vessels came into view. Gulls and Pelicans harassed the fishermen, like a flurry of giant mosquitoes or a gaggle of fan girls. Felix squinted his eyes, scanning the docks.

Old. Hairy. Big. Hmm, well to a boy most people are big.

He walked amongst the dock workers until he almost bumped into a man who had been bent over. The old sea dog stood up with a scowl on his face. He had a massive beard and a nose like a potato. His scalp was pocked with moles and blotches.

Good morning there, maybe you can help me. I’m looking for someone who….you actually fit the description of…but named Bjorne. You look more like a Pierre to me.

Felix gave a friendly, if silly, grin.

sailor?

Psybermagi

Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm
sailor?

The man look at you with a scowl, his base expression from what you can tell, and snaps Bjorne's leaving from the west pier. Best make haste. and he spits to the side before turning back to the side to continue mending his fishing nets.

Saying your thanks and farewells to the 'kind' man you make your way further west down the oceanfront. Though early the are is already busy as dock hands move crates and barrels, porters drive wagons to and from warehouses and boats, and urchins loiter while other children work alongside grown men. Roll a test as you look for your prospective employer
[ +- ] Tests
Apr 19, 2024 5:38 pm
Felix strides towards the west pier, using his hand to shade his eyes as he looks for Bjorne. His sword and shovel clank together from time to time.

EDIT Sorry, I entered the roll text wrong initially. I think I got it right the 2nd time.
Last edited April 19, 2024 5:41 pm

Rolls

Looking for Bjorne on the busy dock. - (2(d6))

(4) + 2 = 6

2d6

(54) = 9

Apr 19, 2024 7:23 pm
As you move through the bustle you feel a tug at your side and instinctively drop your hand to your pouch to find it gone and a youth running back to the jumble of buildings, alleys, and shacks. That had most of your gold. Thankfully your ancestor told you never to keep it all in one, easily accessible, spot.

Rolls

pickpocket - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Apr 19, 2024 8:49 pm
You little bugger!

If I hadn't been so focused on finding Bjorne I woulda caught that rapscallion. At least he didn't take my Whiskey flask, or my flask with Sundown Scorcher in it. He coulda hurt himself.

After resecuring his remaining possessions Felix doubled his efforts to find the West Pier and Bjorne

I really need a job now. At least I already had breakfast

Rolls

Finding West Pier - (2d6)

(34) = 7

Apr 19, 2024 10:57 pm
You let the youth go with 3 of your gold and all your smaller coins. Forging on you find the west pier and soon after spot a large, old, man with a profound mastery of cursing that relies little on foul words but instead takes creative licence with adjectives, similes, and metaphors.
[ +- ] Random Cussing
Bjorne
You approach the man who is directing several men loading cargo onto a small boat. Several other "adventurous" characters are loitering outside the organized chaos. Some look bored, others hung over, and one cowers in a corner clutching their book. As you get neat the mas whirls on you. What you gawping at lad? Never seen a conductor leading his orchestra?
OOC:
Rolling test is not always needed, ex: finding the last pier/house in a row but rolling in advance does speed up some situations and let a touch of random influence the story
Apr 20, 2024 12:32 am
Not at all sir! Trumpet reporting for duty, sir!

Felix stood rigid upright, only moving his eyes to observe the others who presumably were there for work too. Or perhaps just transport.

Uhh, does this boat take us to a bigger boat? Felix asked hopefully.
Apr 21, 2024 12:16 am
boat
The boat has but a single mast and looks to have slots for oars and a length of over 50'. Not being a boatsmen Felix can only compare it to the other, larger boats in the harbor with multiple masts and many sails.
Bjorne

Bjorne chuckles then turns serious. No lad. We need a small boat for what we will be attempting. You see we will be sailing up river and a bigger boat won't do. Me and my crew will handle the wind and water. You and the rest of the louts and he waves vaguely at the adventurers standy by handle the rest.

Bjorne continues directing the crew and dockhands and soon the chaos of loading moved entirely onto the ship as the crew tied things down and shifted items to the likening of Bjorne. All aboard who want to get paid. calls the captain as he strides onto his ship and heads for the stern. Stay out of the way till the mate gets you settled.

Hopping the short distance to the boat you stumble a bit as it pitches and rocks on the water. The crew herd all of you to sit on a small platform that has nothing on top of it then quickly set sail and cast off with several of them on the oars. The boat quickly makes way and you turn, heading west and south along the coast line.

Big Al
Pog
Pontus
Ernst Larnak

The five of you have little to do and are for the most part ignores so get to know each other with a large muscular man, calling himself Al, getting things going. Pog, short in stature and temper due to his hangover says little but you can tell he listens. Pontus seems to be new to the adventuring life and instantly joins himself to the overwhelming presence of Al. The scholarly fellow seems an odd fit, being well educated and quite neat and well dressed, but also does not seem to mind not fitting in and chats easily with the group.

Big Al

The big and friendly man goes around the others before turning to you and asking And you? That's quite the sword you have there. I hope you know how to swim with that on your back and he chuckles, joined by Pontus. What brings you to travel our way?
Apr 21, 2024 2:10 am
Felix made himself as comfortable as he could on their platform, and was happy that see his new companions were being friendly with each other.

I recognize that look Felix glanced at Pog. Hey Pog..right? Pog. My name’s Felix. I have a little medicine here that might help put a smile on that face he held out his tarnished steel flask that was wrapped in a leather grip. Felix gave the flask a little enticing shake.

Big Al spoke up, addressing Felix.
Yes, big sword, check. A bit awkward, I’ll give you that, but it wasn’t exactly my choice. As for swimming, I’m sure i’ll float as my mom always told me I had a block of wood for a head

Felix ran his fingers through his hair, and squinted into the sun.

This way was as good as any other. Heard about a job, ate some fish, got pickpocketed by a 2 year old aaannndd here I am. What about you? Is there some kind of Strongman competition further up this river?

Big Al

Psybermagi

Apr 22, 2024 12:10 pm
Big Al

The large man laughs No, not really. Though they do pay for muscle. I'vev been where we are going. This is the first time going this way though. Glad to have you aboard. Sorry to hear about your coin. Personally I don't mind a bit of financial redistribution, mans got to eat. The trouble with cities is that there is always someone else skimming off of your efforts. and he snorts in disgust.

As you chat the boat travels along the coast but gets further and further from shore. The sight of all that nice firm, solid, not moving. stable land just fading in the horizon combined with the rocking of the boat is doing weird things to your stomach and ballance.

Roll a save Test, 2d6, vs sea sickness.
Apr 22, 2024 3:55 pm
Felix felt a pressure build up in his stomach. He tried closing his eyes, but when he opened them again they couldn't focus on anything.

maybe my cod omelet wasn't cooked properly

One moment he had that thought and the next he had flung his head over the side of the boat. Much clanging and scrabbling had occurred without much awareness from Felix.

Huuuaaaaggghhhggg

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and looked sheepishly around, slightly embarrassed.

a little swig of Sundown Scorcher will help set me right
He said as he pulled his 2nd flask, this one a bronze color, and put it gingerly to his lips.
Last edited April 22, 2024 4:04 pm

Rolls

Sea sickness save - (2d6)

(44) = 8

Apr 22, 2024 10:57 pm
Several days pass on what you view as teh open sea. Only every time you do the crew laughs and rebuts that you are barely out os fight of the coast and in "shallow waters".

You learn, in one of your more lucid and stable moments that you will be sailing up the river for a couple of days. It goes through a swampy region fore a coupe of days then should move onto grasslands for a day or so before reaching your destination. The captain and crea manage to avoid any major weather, not that this keeps everyone warm and dry, and the ocean leg is mostly uneventful.

You can choose how long it takes to recover, some people never do, and chat on the boat with the other adventures and crew if you wish. Put a post up with any ocean activities and preparations for yoru time on the river etc and i will move into the river trip next.
Apr 23, 2024 9:48 pm
The next two days passed rather uneventfully. Felix attempted to sleep off his sea-sickness, and gained a sunburned face for his troubles.
But when he awoke on the second day his stomach, though empty, didn’t churn and turn. He sat up, turned his head left and right, smacked his lips - Well alright, I think I can hold something down today.

Most of Felix’s belongings were bundled together (including his shovel and sword) and tied to part of the platform he had been occupying. Stretching his legs he found the food store and helped himself to a little salted meat, cheese and an apple.

With his belly feeling satiated Felix pulled out his deck of cards and small sack of his remaining coins, then turned to his new companions;

Anyone fancy a game? Low stakes, just a bit of fun really, something to pass the time.

Wouldn’t hurt to make up some of my lost coins in winnings too
Last edited April 23, 2024 10:26 pm

Rolls

Sea legs? Sea-sickness test after 2 days. - (2d6)

(15) = 6

Apr 24, 2024 4:28 am
Big Al

I'll join inthe boysterous adventurer proclaims. He convinces Pontus to join in to pass the time. Pog watches for a while before joining in and seems to be targeting Pontus's purse. However a couple subtle comments and a glare from Al has him tossing in his hand for the day. He joins the next day again but this time keeps it light and you while away the hours playing while Ernst reads a book and the crew manages the boat.
You can roll for gambling. Any number of dice, backed up by your coin. 1= lose 1 silver, 2= loose 1 copper, and due to bein insightful 4= gain 1 copper 5= gain 5 copper, 6= gain1 silver.

After the days at sea pass you head towards a large delta covered win swamps and marshes with a variety of beasts to be seen.

Big Al

Those large ones are called "Dinosaurs". They are common to this region though I wonder why they do not move to other areas? Likely it is the borders.

Bjorne

Look lively lads. Those beast usually leave ships along, once they learn we have teeth too. Be prepared to teach anything fool enough to glance our way to stay far off. And brace yourselves, Al has the right of it.
We will pass a Border in a moment.

Pog and Pontus both get crossbows ready,while Ernst looks through one of his books muttering and Al pulls a cover off a quiver of javelins. Seeing you do not seem to have any ranged weapons he offers a couple should the need arise.

Let me know any preparations and arrangements you make

As you near the shore the ship passes through a shimmer in the air, and you feel strange as you look around and for a moment see you ancestors spirit slip from the sword with a scowl before sinking back into the weapon.

Roll a save test for your reaction to crossing the Border.
See the Reference section on Setting for details on Borders and other things.
Apr 25, 2024 1:05 am
Psybermagi says:
I'll join inthe boysterous adventurer proclaims. He convinces Pontus to join in to pass the time. Pog watches for a while before joining in and seems to be targeting Pontus's purse. However a couple subtle comments and a glare from Al has him tossing in his hand for the day. He joins the next day again but this time keeps it light and you while away the hours playing while Ernst reads a book and the crew manages the boat.
You can roll for gambling. Any number of dice, backed up by your coin. 1= lose 1 silver, 2= loose 1 copper, and due to bein insightful 4= gain 1 copper 5= gain 5 copper, 6= gain1 silver.
Before Felix could actually put any money into the pot he had to exchange some of his gold for some smaller coins - the pick-pocket had taken everything but 6 gold. After some compliments and persistence from Felix Ernst begrudgingly changed some coin - if only so he would be allowed to return to his book.
OOC:
If you want me to roll for the Ernst interaction let me know
Sitting down with the others, wiggling his butt to settle in properly, Felix grinned; Who’s deal?

In summary: First he loses 1 copper; then he goes all-in, but Pog has the same hand as Felix so they divided the pot in 2. Then, after several uneventful hands, Al checks before and after the flop and Felix completely fell for it (very unlike him). Oh now you want to bet, huh Al?
Boom - 1 whole Silver heads in Al’s direction.

Demoralized, Felix soldiers on, and grinds back 5 copper. Not bad…

Not sure whether to quit while he was only slightly behind or keep going Felix gazed out at the changing landscape.
Last edited April 25, 2024 2:09 am

Rolls

Poker hands - (4d6)

(2315) = 11

Border Crossing Save - (2d6)

(11) = 2

Apr 25, 2024 4:37 am
As you near the shore the ship passes through a shimmer in the air, and you feel strange as you look around and for a moment see you ancestors spirit slip from the sword with a scowl at you. The odd thing is as you look around you see your body lying on the deck beneath you and a startled Al looking between you and your body. Before anything else can happen Florial Flordenlord grabs Felix and thrusts him back into his body before sinking back into the weapon.

Felix blinks his eyes as his entire body aches beyond belief, his eye are unable to focus, and he has no strength to move. As you stare blankly at the side of the boat Alls large face moves into view. Um you ok? he asks.

No one else seems to have seen Felix's odd reaction but the after affects of crossing Borders is well known and though you receive much pity, little is though of it by the others. Al sits with you as you recover and the boat makes its way slowly towards the shore. Several of the crew were also affected harshly by the Border crossing as was Pontus but the rest seem to only be mildly discomforted. Soon the shore draws near and you make your way into the mouth of a river and the boatmen break out the oars to drive the boat faster up river.

The rest of the afternoon is spent watching your surrounding but fortunately the local beast leave you alone for now. At sunset Bjorne sets a guard rotation. One adventurer with one boatman and you draw the pre dawn lot and so fall asleep quickly.

Big Al

Again you awake to the muscular man's face looking at you a little too closely Your shift is about to start but we think something is out there and he waves to the darkness beyond the small patch of firelight near where the boat was tied up.
Apr 26, 2024 1:21 am
Felix opens his eyes to find Al looking down on him with a pitiable expression.

I’m ok. But I don’t think boats agree with me. I just about get used to the motion of the ocean, and then that shimmering barrier rips me a new one

What an experience that was. If Florial hadn’t been here would I have just floated away? Felix brought the hilt of his sword to his face, grinned, and gave it a big wet kiss. Exhausted from the effort it took, he lay back down and napped.

The next day passes in a bit of a blur, but Felix did notice that it was a river now instead of open sea. Something about beasts being close by, which didn’t worry Felix that much because it didn’t seem to affect his sleep.

Finally Felix awoke feeling more like himself. He stared at his hands, focussing his eyes. Al was there, yet again. must have a crush on me.

Ok ok I’m up, shift time. Well did you see something? What could be out there? Bandits? Big grey dogs?

Felix made sure his great-sword was on his back and loose in the sheath. Also the Javelin quiver was close by in case he needed it. Felix had never thrown a Javelin before, but he had of course thrown a few spades. And Florian might give him a few pointers.
Last edited April 26, 2024 1:22 am

Big Al

Psybermagi

Apr 26, 2024 12:53 pm
Big Al

Al replies softly Not sure, but it got too quiet then I heard somethin moving in closer. Lets go check it out. The sailors will stay here to rouse the others if needed.

You see two sailors, one scanning the area with loaded crossbow in hand and another groggily rolling from his sleeping mat and grabbing a crossbow lot load it.

With the moon and stars in the sky and only thin cloud cover it is not pitch black. Though the fire lights the area immediately around the shore where the boat is tied, up the brush and trees that grow along the riverbank give plenty of places to hide unseen but close to where your camp is. Most of the sailors are on the boat itself, which is run ashore but can be pushed back into the river current by several men easily enough. The adventurers and a couple sailors sleep nearby with the fire set to give a bit of light but not be seen easily from the river.

Al stands ready and waits for you to get up and ready before heading out beyond the firelight to "check the perimeter"

Rolls

Al moving Quietly - (2d6)

Al searching for threats - (2d6)

Apr 27, 2024 3:37 am
Ok Al, right behind you.

Felix glanced around at the sailors readying themselves. They’ve been pulling oar, all while I’ve been puking over the side of their boat - time for meeeee to pull my weight he threw them a smile and a salute.

Felix pulled his Great-sword into his hands, resting the blade on his shoulders. Florian’s energy swirled around it, generally only visible to Felix. Using Shamanic Warrior Felix pulled some of that energy, some of Florian’s essence, into himself. (Boon 6. Heal 1 point of health on command)
OOC:
Not clear on if I can do this multiple times in a row or not
Felix follows Al, scouring the brush and tree line with his eyes - listening also for any sounds or signs of movement.
Last edited April 27, 2024 3:51 am

Rolls

Shamanic Warrior boon - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Felix moving quietly - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Felix searching for threats - (2d6)

(43) = 7

Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm
OOC:
Multiple boons are fine but each has a time limit. Time remaining 3 rounds in combat ~ 20-30 second as exact time keeping is not used out of combat
Felix feels a pulsing energy fill his chest filling him with life. (1hp)

The two of you move amazingly quiet for such large fellows and slip form the firelight and begin moving through the shadow around camp. Keeping the firelight in sight you move softly then Al pauses and holds a hand to his head, for silence you assume, then towards some grasses off to one side. As you hold you position you realize after watching the ara and Al continually pointing it out that there are several patches that are slowly and nearly silently shifting. At least 3 creatures are moving closer to the camp but seem move to maximize their cover. Al hefts hi massive ax and puts a hand to your shoulder then moves to get behind the creatures.

Rolls

winds of fate - (2d6)

(23) = 5

Apr 28, 2024 7:28 pm
Ok Al, I’m picking up what you’re putting down thought Felix, as he saw the subtly shifting shadow shapes in the long grass. His heart began to beat a little quicker and his stomach tightened; fear sharpened his awareness.

He pulled in more spirit energy;(boon 4, Spirit Guide, you gain focus without spending an action) The energy again permeated his whole body, his blade felt a little lighter in his hands, and his stance adjusted itself giving him better balance.

Felix moved with Al, readying his Great-Sword, leaving a little space though with the aim of flanking the hidden creatures as Al took position behind them.
Last edited April 28, 2024 7:35 pm

Rolls

(4) = 4

Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm
As you move to trap your quarry you somehow missed them tapping you. From behind you is heard a hissing croak and instantly the the patches of crushed grass reveal large forms that rise up and turn to have you. Though dark you can tell these are no humans. Long trails and skulls, more animal like than like people. From behind a hiding voice commands Stand and be recognized
Apr 29, 2024 3:29 pm
Felix spun around bringing his Great-Sword with him in a guard position, instinctively sucking more spirit energy into himself (it's a defensive response to surprise or a scare).

(Boon 4 - focus without action again, I guess just extending the length of that effect a little)

woah! I am Felix the Unforgettable, but I doubt we'd recognize each other.

Felix eyed up this creature, and attempted to look past his terrifying decorations of skulls to glean his true intention.
Last edited April 29, 2024 3:32 pm

Rolls

(4) = 4

Insight - is he a threat, aggressive - (3d6)

(352) = 10

Apr 29, 2024 4:00 pm
The two of you now stand with 3 lizard men in the marsh to one side and another with spear at the ready on another. Neither is close to you but you suspect these locals know how to move in the marsh better than you and can close the gap quickly. The solitary lizard man watches you cautiously, eyes flicking to the trio bring you as is checking for reassurance it instructions.

Big Al

Psybermagi

Apr 29, 2024 4:01 pm
Big Al

Dang this is a fine mess I lead is into.
If anything happens make sure to call for help and warn the boat.
Apr 29, 2024 5:17 pm
Glancing around Felix noted that the lizard man who spoke must be calling the shots. Licking his lips -

Well uh, see we're just passing through. Camping here just for a short while before moving along - definitely not meaning any harm. This is just us investigating some noises - I'm sure the same goes for you. So how about we all just return to our status quo?

Felix put on some charm, not knowing if it would be as effective on Lizardmen as it was on half drunk bar patrons.
OOC:
I'm just using my rolls/traits where they seem to fit. If you disagree or I'm over reaching just let me know, or edit etc
Ps. Not sure if my focus boon affects these rolls, I'm fine if it only applies to my combat, if not let me know
Last edited April 29, 2024 5:56 pm

Rolls

Charisma, ease Lizardmen - (3d6)

(426) = 12

Apr 29, 2024 10:16 pm
OOC:
Rolls are fine, and focus works as well so great job with that. I encurage players to add rolls any time they feel there is uncertanty of the reslt
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1bCSZoKCaOO575cFntvkQZo5vdH99LCHtjVeHA5LBog&s
The three in the mash are slowly shifting out of that area while the one what was behind you and sounded the alarm and spoke first moves around you as well to rejoin the other lizardmen.

When they get out of the thick wet marsh one of the lizardmen speeks up. You passss through but we ssstay.
Our home here.

It makes a hand guesture and the three lizardmen lower their spears, a bit, so they are held by two hands now, but all three of the other lizardmenn keep allerts and look around .

Setlin/g his spear onto the ground the spoaks-lzard asks Where you go in boat? you stay there or you go back n forth?
Apr 30, 2024 5:38 pm
Felix felt the tension in the air lessen slightly. He repositioned his Great-Sword so the flat of the blade rested on his shoulder. Still accessible but not as threatening.

My trip is just to somewhere farther up this river. Al's been there before, I haven't. This boat though I believe will be returning back down this river, out to sea.

Lizardmen

Psybermagi

Apr 30, 2024 11:11 pm
Lizardmen

The four exchange some gutteral rumblings, croaks, and hisses before the spokesman replies. You pass lake with island. You go or be friend them then you enemy us and not use river safe. We watch you. you warned. Stay to river and near river only we not hunt you. you go far and we see how you taste.

The broad grin leaves little to your imagination and you do not doubt that he means what he says.
May 1, 2024 3:25 pm
Felix knew the Lizardman meant what he said. WHAT he said, however, he wasn't one hundred percent sure. Although he was an expert at deciphering drunken slurred speech, Lizardman hissed accent was a challenge for him.

Right then Al, you heard him, let's accept his generous hospitality and head back to the boat.

Felix fully put his weapon away, onto his back, and took careful steps towards the boat. He didn't turn his back to the Lizardmen, but kept his eyes on them, maintaining a friendly expression on his face.
May 1, 2024 11:01 pm
Lizardmen

The lizardmen exchange a few words in their language but the spokesman silences them with a wave.

Big Al

As the pair of you move back to the firelight warily Al comments after you make some distance Well , , , that was interesting. Now the question is, what do they not like about the island and is it beter to keep silent, tell just the captain, or tell everyone. Personally I'm inclined to tell the captain so he can handle it when we get there.

You make it back to the firelight to find half the crew, with the captain at their back, staring out from the now bobbing boat. While you were gone they apparently launched the boat. Thankfully they waited for you. Glancing at the other adventurers you note that Pog and his bedroll are nowhere to be seen, till you spot his help on the boat between a couple of the sailors.

Bjorne

Seeing you alive and well, though cautious Bjorne waves you over. In a soft voice, not quite a whisper he asks Well? Beast, enemy, opportunity, or danger? and he eyes you carefully
May 2, 2024 1:33 pm
After clambering up onto the boat and wiping his brow Felix faced Bjorne.

Beast-ish? Lizard-people. With spears. It almost came to blows, they're very protective of this area which they consider home. But we luckily came to a semi-peaceful agreement. From what I could understand they'll leave us be as long as we stick to the river. Oh, and you probably know about it if you frequent this route, there's some sort of lake and island nearby? The Lizard folk would like us to steer clear of there, and not make friends with it's inhabitants. If we do, the Lizardians will turn us into a buffet

Exhausted from recounting his experience Felix took a sip from his Whiskey flask.

Did I miss anything Al? Maybe you heard something differently to me?

Felix felt the last remnants of the spirit energy fade from his body.
May 3, 2024 2:19 pm
Bjorne

Boy, no ones been up this river. Least not since the Breaking. Lizardmen hmmmm. Well if they are not hostile now I see not advantage to making them so. We were commissioned to test this as a viable trade route and carry a bit of cargo. Still I think we'll keep the boat off-shore though the swamp.
He has the men get back to sleep and sends you and Al to wake the other adventurers to stand watch the rest of the night.
Big Al

As you leave the boat Al sighs. I said to only tell the captain about the lizardman warning. Talking about it in front of Pog was the one thing I wanted to avoid. That is one greedy dwarf.

The rest of the night is uneventful, other than the grumbling from Pontus about "double night shifts" that is cut short by a clout to the back of his head and glare from Al. You and Al find places to sleep when the captain and crew wake at the first light of dawn.

You awaken later in the day, near to noon by the position of the sun. You learn you will be pausing for a short break when you reach the lake that Bjorne says is coming up. You look but see nothing and he chuckles and tells you that "the river told me". The break is just long enough for everyone to stretch their legs and relieve their bowls before the ship is back underway. You have been impressed by the boatmen as they row for hours to move the ship up river as the captain and mate manage the sails and rudder as needed to help as much as possible.

Bjorne

That must be the island the captain comments after you have been on the lake about half an hour. Looking out to the middle of the lake you spy what he is looking at. It blends with the far coast a bit at first till your eyes pick out the tip of a structure sticking out above the trees. It looks to be the tip of a pyramid. As you all look at the island the water around the boat suddenly erupts as massive, long, purple tendrils covered in suckers and claws. The tentacles slam down on the boat knocking many off their feet as the boat lurches to a stop.
Roll a save or take 1 damage and be knocked prone by a tentacle.
[ +- ] Save Tests
[ +- ] Combat
Bjorne calls To arms! Cut those things off my boat!
OOC:
Welcome to the fight :)
May 3, 2024 3:35 pm
Well Pog is a big boy, I'm not his babysitter.

Felix was becoming a mite frustrated with everyone assuming he knew all about their business. All he did was sign up for a job, he wasn't handed everyone's autobiographies.

His self-pout was short lived however as the river opened up into the famous lake and the eerie island came into view.

So, is that a pyramid - HOLY FUUUU

A tentacled beast from below revealed itself, and attacked the boat. Felix barely had time to take a breath before attempting to dive out of the path of a crashing purple arm.

Felix completely lost his footing as the boat lurched, and landed awkwardly in his own Great-Sword and shovel, bruising his ribs. (Takes 1 damage. 5/6).

Prone, on the deck, he tried to get his bearings.

Florial, time to chip in Raising himself onto his elbow, he pulled in some spirit energy. (Boon 1. Fast feet: You gain a movement for action each turn and can jump great distances)
OOC:
not exactly sure what that means. One extra move action each turn? Seems to apply nicely in this situation :)
Felix felt a burst of energy and leapt to his feet, feeling a little lighter and sure footed.

Spinning on the spot he took a mighty swing with his Great-Sword, down onto a clawed tendril.
Last edited May 3, 2024 3:49 pm

Rolls

Tentacle dodge save - (2d6)

(14) = 5

Shamanic Warrior - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Great-Sword attack - (2d6)

(16) = 7

May 3, 2024 3:52 pm
OOC:
Combat has 2 actions each round, see spoiler above. Saves do not take an action so you can draw on your spirit power and still have 1 more action. I will move on with everyone else on your side and you can act once more before the betentacled monster get to go.
The deck of the boat erupts in chaos and crew and adventurers scramble out of the path of the tentacles, going for weapons, and launching attacks. Ernst is the most eye catching as he flings ice and flame at the tentacles. Pontus fumbles with this obviously unfamiliar weapon and gets what looks like a lucky hit, but Al and Pog both react quickly with deadly violence.

Rolls

crew attacks - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (55) = 10

2d6 : (42) = 6

2d6 : (26) = 8

2d6 : (66) = 12

2d6 : (51) = 6

2d6 : (45) = 9

2d6 : (34) = 7

2d6 : (26) = 8

2d6 : (46) = 10

Adventurers - (Al:3d6, Al:3d6, Pog:3d6, Pog:3d6, Pontus:1d6)

Al:3d6 : (411) = 6

Al:3d6 : (353) = 11

Pog:3d6 : (135) = 9

Pog:3d6 : (332) = 8

Pontus:1d6 : (6) = 6

Ernst magics - (2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (33) = 6

2d6 : (15) = 6

May 3, 2024 5:12 pm
OOC:
Ok so I undo my actions I guess. Doesn’t he gain an extra move action on top of the regular 2?
After absorbing some Shamanic energy he absorbs some more
OOC:
for his 2nd action
(Boon 3 Vicious Strike: You deal additional critical damage.)
OOC:
Oops, rolled twice for boon, sorry.

So all the npcs presumably passed save rolls?
Last edited May 3, 2024 5:22 pm

Rolls

Shamanic Warrior - (2d6)

(33) = 6

May 3, 2024 5:43 pm
Ernst and Pontus fail to avoid the tentacles and several crew are knocked about by the flailing tentacles.
Octopus

To one side of the boat you hear splashing and look to see a strange creature, connected to the tentacles, rising from the water. Two large black eyes now direct the tentacles to wrap around targets. All of the other adventurers are struck by the tentacles after having attacked them, as does one of the crew who easily stays aboard the boat. Everyone continues their assault on the tentacles
OOC:
Add to not undo. What you did works out
I at times use averages for large thing so I do not have to roll/track everything.
Also this is your intro story so it is more likely to have a happy ending where the ship doesn't sink. Besides the focus is on You. Be the HERO! You are back up

Rolls

Giant octopus (odd=crew, even=adventurers, 12=Felix) - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (62) = 8

2d6 : (33) = 6

2d6 : (22) = 4

2d6 : (53) = 8

2d6 : (41) = 5

2d6 : (44) = 8

Save vs falling out of the boad - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (21) = 3

2d6 : (11) = 2

Crew Attack - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (61) = 7

2d6 : (44) = 8

2d6 : (62) = 8

2d6 : (32) = 5

2d6 : (65) = 11

Adventurers attacks - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6)

2d6 : (23) = 5

2d6 : (15) = 6

3d6 : (565) = 16

3d6 : (164) = 11

3d6 : (223) = 7

3d6 : (235) = 10

May 3, 2024 5:49 pm
The crew and Al, who stayed onboard, fare wll and several of the tentacles retract after being cut deeply. The others knocked overboard hack at the limbs holding them and try to get back to the boat.
May 3, 2024 7:21 pm
Felix hops into position and swings his sword.

Whoosh

Felix was distracted by both the boatmen and adventurers making sushi out of this beast.

Come on Florial you are really embarrassing me here
Last edited May 3, 2024 7:30 pm

Rolls

Great-Sword attack on tentacle - (2d6)

(23) = 5

Great-Sword attack on tentacle - (2d6)

(56) = 11

octopus

Psybermagi

May 3, 2024 8:31 pm
OOC:
added 2nd attack action to your post
Though you first attempt was laughable, your 2nd strike sliced clear through the beasts tentacle.

octopus

With several limbs damaged the giant beast flung only a couple limbs at those still onboard. Instead it surged forwards to bodily ram the boat, apparently hoping to capsize it. The large, but soft body did little to the vessel built to handle the rough oceans but a few cracks of timber can be heard and Bjorn winces. The beast is now bodily pressed to the boat as it tries to wrap more tendrils around the boat to pull it down. Fortunately the crew is on top of things and already begins cutting the boat free to the remaining tentacles

Those already thrown overboard fared not at well. A few crewmen toss floats and lifelines to those overboard. Pog grabs his line and starts pulling himself back. However, Pontus and Ernst both vanish from the surface as the beast slams the boat, crating foam and waves all about. They reappear bedraggled and further from the boat. Each clings to a float tossed to the obviously inexperienced swimmers but the attached line snapped in the attack.

Rolls

Octopus tentacle attack - (Felix:2d6, Al:2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

Felix:2d6 : (13) = 4

Al:2d6 : (41) = 5

2d6 : (36) = 9

2d6 : (25) = 7

Ram the boat - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Rescure Efforts - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (16) = 7

2d6 : (64) = 10

Free the boat - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

swimmers stay safe - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (52) = 7

2d6 : (43) = 7

2d6 : (13) = 4

May 3, 2024 8:49 pm
OOC:
the Great-Sword is a heavy weapon, and I thought took 2 actions to swing once, dealing 2 damage
May 3, 2024 9:01 pm
OOC:
LoL yeah, forgot you are using heavy.
Quote:
weapons require 2 hands. Can only be used once a round. 2 damage to Nearby target
So you still have another action. A common action is to Focus to increase the odds of a hit
[ +- ] Focus
Anyhow, you're up
May 3, 2024 9:41 pm
Felix was dismayed by those who had gone overboard, and wanted to help them but the more immediate concern was the giant beast directly in front of him. With his extra speed Felix evoked another boon before bringing his Great-Sword down onto the underwater menace.

(Boon - fast feet again)

His blade makes a satisfying wet thunk, cleaving deeply.
OOC:
His critical damage boon that I rolled would affect this with the 6, right? So 3 damage?

Ah, double 6s, gotcha
Last edited May 3, 2024 10:04 pm

Rolls

Shamanic Warrior - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Great-Sword attack on monster - (2d6)

(46) = 10

May 3, 2024 10:01 pm
OOC:
Criticals are normally reserved for Veterans. Through the Shaman-warrior you have early access to it.
Advanced Rules for Veterans says:
Critical Success :
Any time two or more 6's are roll rolled on any test the results exceed basic results. Damage is increased or another beneficial effect will be added by the GM.
When you gain weapon mastery, as part of character progression to Veteran, you attack with 3d6
Once you are a veteran it will shift to "at least one dice with 6 and another dice with 5 or higher" to increase your chances of a critical.

I will update this later tonight with the next round of action
May 4, 2024 2:32 pm
Felix hacks another tentacle, freeing the ship from it while Al and a couple other creemen do likewise. Two of the crewmen try one last time to save Pontus and Ernst while the others struble at the oars to try and put distance between the ship and octopus.

Both Pontus and Ernst get tossed and grab ahold of lines as more of the tentacles are hacked apart and the rowers pull on the remaining grasp the octopus has on the boat which begins pulling away from it.

Rolls

Free the boat - (3d6, 3d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

3d6 : (423) = 9

3d6 : (625) = 13

2d6 : (35) = 8

Rescue opperations - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (54) = 9

Move the Boat - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (12) = 3

2d6 : (43) = 7

octopus

Psybermagi

May 4, 2024 2:38 pm
octopus

The octopus releases the boat but slams it one last time before submerging to heal its wounds.

Rolls

spiteful attack - (Felix:2d6, Al:2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

Felix:2d6 : (41) = 5

Al:2d6 : (63) = 9

2d6 : (14) = 5

May 4, 2024 2:48 pm
With the boat free the crew makes good time to get out of the deeper waters and you head to a river mouth you see to the north. Bjorne wants to take a look at the damage done and so you spend the rest of the day tied up to the shore as minor repairs are made to it.

Moving upriver to be out of the lake before sunset you spend an uneventful night before continuing upriver in the morning. As you continue along the river you see a variety of the dinosaur creatures and are amazed at some of their sizes. You had heard that dragons could grow to such great sizes and ponder if perhaps these are like cattle to the great dragons.

You only sight the lizardmen once more on your trek. A large troup travels upriver in several large canoes but they and Bjorne keep the boats apart and they soon pass you in their smaller and swifter craft.
OOC:
OK, I think you got the basics. We can go ahead and advance Felix to being a Novice. Add another trait or Weapon Mastery to Felix. After another adventure or two he will advance to "Veterans" and gain whichever of mastery or trait they did not pick.

Moving story to the Docks after you make your selection. Let me know what you pick.
May 4, 2024 9:58 pm
Thankful the octopus decided to quit while it was behind. Felix did all he could to help the crew reach the river mouth, presumably out of danger.
Counting heads he searched first for any missing crew members or adventurers, then (assuming everyone was accounted for) looked to see if anyone was badly injured. Any wound that requires more than a bandage, Felix offers to try and heal - no guarantees, he has no training.
OOC:
If anyone was badly injured he would offer to try and heal them. Ie. Spend one hp (putting him down to 4/6 for now) to select the heal Shamanic boon. I think that gives me 6 tests, max, to heal. This could just be narrative, or if you want rolls let me know. I know we’re moving forward in time, so not super important.
OOC:
I think I will choose weapon mastery, for the great sword
Last edited May 4, 2024 10:06 pm
May 6, 2024 4:01 am
OOC:
For future reference you can assume to heal an average of 2 hp a minute
Felix helps treat the wounded and earns many thanks as several of the sailors and the other adventurers were wounded in the conflict. The next day you make your way further upriver and return to "normal" traveling. A couple of day s of this and you round a bend in the river and Bjorn calls out. That should be our port up ahead.

Looking to the north-east you see a walled compound with a couple of docks out into the river. The wharf is lower than the rest of the settlement. As you get closer you see the wall on the riverside looks to only be a half height wall as you see trafic walking to and from but the wharf is a good 15 below the top of the wall. The two piers are mostly empty and currently only hold a couple of small craft. Your approach is watched by several guards with heavy crossbow and Bjorn calls to the dockworkers and gets a return call before the guards relas and wander off. The ship pulls up to the docks and is quickly tied off. you and the other adventures are roughly directed to get up on the dock and out of the way.
OOC:
This thread is locked. The story continues on The Docks

You do not have permission to post in this thread.