Dice Codes List

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 20, 2024 6:56 pm
The question:
Is there a list of Dice Codes?

The long-winded explanation that might bore people:
Sorry if this comes off as "a dumb question from a new guy."

I noticed today that 3d6h1 is a thing that would work well with Tiny Dice, since H1 means keep the highest one die.

I was wondering if there are other codes, like with Discord’s Dice Maiden bot, 3d6t4 means the result counts how many dice are 4 or higher, and 3d6f4 counts how many are 4 or lower. I used that for Lasers and Feelings.

It’s not a problem to play L&F without a code, but my point is that I’m wondering what codes exist, and if there’s a list of them.
Last edited April 20, 2024 7:00 pm
Apr 20, 2024 7:33 pm
A lot of the codes are something that the GM will have to put directly into the game description, rather than something you can just type into the text field. For Tales from the Loop, for example, I use code that highlights all sixes and counts them, rather than adding up the totals of the dice:

https://i.imgur.com/UVIZinH.png
Apr 20, 2024 9:41 pm
@bowlofspinach, that’s a nice little code. Is there a guide that tells how to do that?

Lasers and Feelings would work with the above set-up (highlighting and counting predefined successes) if the a code could account for two types of rolls: one which highlights/counts their number and lower, another which counts their number or higher. The catch is that each player would have a different number (2, 3, 4 or 5).

So more complex than what you have there because:
• range of numbers = success, instead of a single number
• two ranges, depending whether players roll "lasers" or "feelings"
• each player has a different number, or a different range defining success for the two types of rolls

I’m in an L&F game now and we just roll d6’s so not being able to code my own game wouldn’t stop me from using the system. It would be cool to know how to code that though!

But I mean like if a guide already exists or an example I can copy-paste, revise to suit my need, and test before inviting players.
Last edited April 20, 2024 9:45 pm
Apr 20, 2024 9:56 pm
There's a dice code repository HERE with lots of examples and the post that explains all the rules HERE.

I think you should be able to accomplish what you want for the L&F game, but if you have trouble implementing it then post again here or in that repository thread and we can try to help.
Apr 20, 2024 9:58 pm
Oh…! I just found this!
Chalrytharendir says:
There's a dice code repository HERE with lots of examples and the post that explains all the rules HERE.

I think you should be able to accomplish what you want for the L&F game, but if you have trouble implementing it then post again here or in that repository thread and we can try to help.
Thanks! I play around a bit and see what I can figure out. I appreciate the offer to help if I need it (which is likely).
Last edited April 20, 2024 9:59 pm
Apr 20, 2024 10:00 pm
Yep, also in case you crossed posted with me the other link I posted above explains all the codes.
Apr 20, 2024 10:04 pm
😆 oops missed your edit. Great, good luck and hope you get it working!
Apr 21, 2024 12:45 am
Thanks everyone! I got it to work!

https://i.imgur.com/OTEosx2.jpeg

That’s a character whose number is 5 rolling lasers once, then feelings, with three dice each time. I’ll finish the code and post it to that thread later.
Apr 22, 2024 9:07 am
Thanks for this! Is there a way to add the code into a L&F game that is already in-progress? I can only find the 'Advanced rules definitions.' option when setting up a new game.
Apr 22, 2024 9:11 am
onceandfuture says:
Thanks for this! Is there a way to add the code into a L&F game that is already in-progress? I can only find the 'Advanced rules definitions.' option when setting up a new game.
The edit game button is right next to the title at the top. Slightly hidden but you can still access all the settings
Apr 22, 2024 10:38 am
@onceandfuture no problem! I love L&F, but the one time I ran a hack, the only part I hated were the counterintuitive dice codes we needed to make it work. (Just typing d6, d6 like we’ve been doing is preferable to 2d6t4/2d6f4.)

@bowlofspinach thanks for that example, which helped me figure out what to do. Also, whoever added and later updated my code is quick. I noticed within a couple hours the Lasers & Feelings button uses my updated code.

Would you/they mind another update? For my L&F hack, which is not open to players yet, I have it set up to label hits and misses instead of just a plain 0, 1, 2 or 3. I’d like to share that piece with the community but I don’t want you guys to think I’m going to update that code every day forever.
Apr 22, 2024 11:36 am
Legendary_Sidekick says:
... counterintuitive dice codes ... Just typing d6, d6 like we’ve been doing is preferable to 2d6t4/2d6f4 ...
Yeah, that can be a pain. The system needs to know enough about the game rules to display the results appropriately, so there is often some extra 'typing' needed to teach it what we mean and want. With L&F it needs to know to compare higher or lower values, for instance.

One can make use of roll tables to take the values from the sheet and write in the appropriate dice code and reason for us.
Legendary_Sidekick says:
... whoever added and later updated my code is quick. I noticed within a couple hours the Lasers & Feelings button uses my updated code. ...
Computers be fast. :)
Legendary_Sidekick says:
... Would you/they mind another update? ...
If you feel you need to update it, go for it. The system will pick up the update automatically.

Try to keep it as generic or editable, and understandable as possible so people can change out 'Lasers' and 'Feelings' with whatever their L&F hack uses.
Apr 22, 2024 1:25 pm
One thing that would be simpler would be if I could enter a variable instead of a number.

Right now I have this…
https://i.imgur.com/qm2Y4Px.jpeg
So for a hack called "Magic and Tragic," for example, you’d have to change Lasers to Magic four times (and that’s a kinda dumb example but anyway, you’d probably also want change the colors so Tragic numbers are blue).

If I could have something like # that represents whatever number is entered in the Reason field, that would simplify the code and make it much easier to edit.
Apr 22, 2024 1:27 pm
Try ##
Apr 22, 2024 1:59 pm
bowlofspinach says:
The edit game button is right next to the title at the top. Slightly hidden but you can still access all the settings .
Thank you! That was indeed what I was missing.
Last edited April 24, 2024 4:42 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.