Character Creation

load previous
May 1, 2024 4:15 pm
I need to take another stab at the Fate rules book. It's so alien to me as a system.
May 1, 2024 4:18 pm
It is very different. What's giving you pause?
May 1, 2024 4:26 pm
Started a character which I will work on of the next couple days. Joseph Smith, High Concept Ace Mecha Pilot, Trouble Cocky as the Day is Long. I've submitted it so you can approve as we go.
May 1, 2024 4:34 pm
I should give it another proper read (my questions may be answered in plain text) but in general I'm trying to wrap my head around Aspects for the character, and how they relate to other game mechanics.
Eg. My human character will have some sort of mutation (don't want to give it away and haven't 100% decided either) so let's say Pyrokinesis. GM said that should be an aspect. So if I throw a fireball (hypothetically) do I use the attack/ranged skill in combination, or is it just a descriptive aspect thing "my scary fireball ignites the enemies eyebrows".
May 1, 2024 4:54 pm
Having an aspect like Pyrokinesis gives you in game permission to do something like throw a fireball. You'd likely use the Shoot skill to actually make the roll. So Aspects grant narrative permission, and are ALWAYS TRUE. If my character had the aspect Half Atlantean I might use that to justify the fact that I can breathe underwater, or an Expert Sniper can be expected to pull off improbable trick shots.
May 1, 2024 4:56 pm
I'm building an Ace Mecha Pilot, so it will make sense that I can do things with a Mecha that your average pilot can't, some of which will be represented by stunts.
May 1, 2024 4:57 pm
Think of your High Concept, which is your primary aspect, as the elevator pitch for your character. Who and What they are, summed up in brief.
May 1, 2024 5:14 pm
That helps, thanks. So, Pirate King Velociraptor it is.
May 1, 2024 5:46 pm
Nuttyartist says:
That helps, thanks. So, Pirate King Velociraptor it is.
I would like to be in that game sir!
May 1, 2024 11:41 pm
All, I don't think I'm going to suit this kind of game, so I think it's best if I vacate the player spot for someone who's going to suit it better.

Thanks for the opportunity @Alepous, sorry to waste time.

Good luck with the game.
Last edited May 1, 2024 11:44 pm
May 2, 2024 5:24 pm
(not sure how long or short the aspects are supposed to be, so just winging it. I may edit in future to add to and change the character, as this is a first draft. If you'd rather there be a new post instead of an edit, let me know)

Character name: Seth Avalon
Age: 17 (not expecting any mechanical differences for his age, it's just for rp stuff.)

High Concept: Upon entering cryogenic stasis his brain was injected with experimental mutagen serum, resulting in TERRIFYING MENTAL CONTROL OVER FLUIDS - HYDROKINESIS.

Trouble: Responsible, though not consciously, for the death of his entire family. His parents and sister were in cryogenic pods next to his, and as his brain mutated it reached out with wild hydrokinetic power and boiled their brains. Seth is not fully aware that he is responsible for their deaths, though dreams and some waking flashbacks make him suspicious that it was him, and not a pod malfunction.
Brain mutation may be causing him to be less moralistic.

Relationships: tbd. Who are the lucky peeps?

Aspect: Seth gives the impression of being other-worldly, has a far-away expression, a sort of hypnotic gaze, charismatic and alluring. At least to some people. They believe, just by being near him, that he must hold some kind of secret knowledge, or answers that they are seeking.
(Not sure if this is what an aspect is? Just winging it)

More Aspects: tbd

Memento: Seth's father worked at a carbonated bottled/canned water company as a Marketing Director (their family was relatively well off financially). The company was founded by pop star Michael Buble', and the brand was called Buble', and had a logo made up of circles kinda joined together resembling bubbles. Seth was bought a car for his upcoming 18th birthday, and the keychain was a silver Buble' logo. The car no doubt is long gone, but he still has the keychain, which he wears around his neck.

Skills: (first draft. Some are chosen because they may be used with Hydrokinesis - eg. Shoot, to attack with Hydrokinesis at range. If this is wrong, let me know)

Great- Will
Good - Shoot
- Notice
Fair - Academics
- Provoke
- Deceive
Average - Fight
- Athletics
- Empathy
- Investigate

Stunt: (possible stunt)
+2 Notice when detecting water using Hydrokinesis. This is to represent Seth being able to sense/detect underground bodies of water, nearby creatures (people are bags of mostly water) or any other source of liquid/water in the vicinity. Gasoline in a vehicle, hydraulic system for machinery (if present). Things like that.
Last edited May 2, 2024 7:26 pm
May 2, 2024 7:24 pm
Character looks fine. I like it, it gives a diffrent approach and it may help with surviving in the wastes (although your characters do not know what has happened in the rest of the world yet).

@dunderklumpen what troubles you? It's a rather straightforward system. No problemo if you don't want to participate though. :D
May 5, 2024 3:51 pm
Should I be posting my character somewhere besides here?
May 5, 2024 6:36 pm
Wait a bit because we have some players missing. It seems we may postpone the game a bit. :(
May 6, 2024 2:37 pm
@Alepous Are you counting me as missing? I know I haven't posted much.
May 6, 2024 6:09 pm
No but there are 2 players missing and another one got cold feet in a PM. Soooo, we go with 2 people?
May 6, 2024 6:33 pm
I'm still here as well. Haven't been posting much as the channel fell a bit dead during the week, and I got into a few too much things going on. So I have been a bit more selective with my time.
May 6, 2024 7:53 pm
Three people is good for a Fate game. It's not like D&D where you're balancing encounters.
May 7, 2024 7:11 pm
For some reason I can't connect my character to the game though.

You don't have any characters to submit?
May 10, 2024 4:08 pm
We haven't had any forward movement in a couple days. Are we still on?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.