DnD 2024 discussion

Jun 22, 2024 2:11 am
Just wondering what those in this community think about the PHB changes.

Generally I am a bit optimistic...even if my beloved paladin is getting a nerf.

The general approach of increasing bonus action use while freeing up actions for your most meaningful abilities is something I can get on board with
Jun 22, 2024 2:43 am
Eh, so far I feel pretty much like I do with every edition/revision:

There's some stuff I love, and some stuff I abhore. 🤷 Only time will tell which way I end up leaning.
Jun 22, 2024 3:43 am
There are things I love, like how the tasha summon spells are the new default conjuration spells for having a minion to command, and there are some overall good fixes. There will never be things I'm only a fan of. Plenty of rules I need to see before I can give final thoughts on. I don't really like the direction that monsters do force damage if they would have had magic weapon trait in the past, as that seems like a huge barbarian nerf to me unless they give the barbarian a way to resist force at some point. Not sure how they could handle it if they refused to keep it the old way where they had that trait but still did bludgeoning, piercing and slashing, unless they wanted to give resistances to thing like "Resistance BPS from NM weapons (Bypass: rare+)" or something where monsters could resist weapons but not if they were above a certain rarity (thus a demon lord for example would resist all BPS damage unless from a legendary weapon, for example). that could become a tangent.

TLDR: Overall excited, but too many unknowns to really have a stance
Jun 22, 2024 8:04 am
We've played from levels 1-18 on GP using the UA, and based on what they've revealed in the release videos, the latest UAs are very close to the final version. So I think we have a pretty good idea of how the new version will play.

The changes aren't major—mainly bug fixes and adding more character flexibility. It's D&D 5.5, not D&D 6. It's backwards compatible, so all your adventures still work.

Sure, paladins are a little nerfed, as are spells like Spiritual Weapon (now needing concentration), but I think those fix some bad design decisions of the past. On the flip side, Find Steed, Guidance, and Resistance are better. Soon we'll be looking at level 19 epic boons, and those look fun.

It works as well as 5e on PbP, maybe there are a few more reactions to deal with.

On the whole, I like most of the changes and it'll be the version I play in future.
Jun 22, 2024 8:23 am
valdattaMadun says:
Generally I am a bit optimistic...even if my beloved paladin is getting a nerf.
I’m in the game Adam’s talking about, and have played paladin from level 5-18 so far. I feel you on the nerf, but paladin is such a solid class that it’d be imbalanced otherwise (I guess). They’re no longer the king of burst damage, but they’re very good at so many things, you should never feel inadequate on any aspect of the game. Definitely my fav class!

Overall I’d say the changes have been for the better. Lots of nerf (GWM, Crossbow Expert, etc.) but I’m fine with them. Plenty of nice fixes too (I prefer the new Find Steed, the new vows abilities, new Resistance and Guidance spells, and a bunch of other stuff).

Definitely prefer the 2024 version over 2014.
Last edited June 22, 2024 9:06 am
Jun 22, 2024 9:54 am
There are plenty of elements in the original 5e rules that need to be addressed.
I trust Adams assent and I'm looking forward to try the ruleset
Jun 22, 2024 3:38 pm
I have to admit from what I have read, I am very mixed and a bit concerned.

I see the it's the biggest phb yet but bigger doesn't mean better

I see it like almost 3rd edition where player options abound but it could be a big nightmare for the dm. I felt 5th Ed move towards simple was better than 3rd Ed.

My other concern with so much in the phb that it may be overwhelming for new players. I found this in many games that they condense a lot into the main rules which make it intimidating for new players. Those experienced see great positives but causes confusion for others.

I am holding final judgement till I see it and give it a try but those are my initial concerns other than a few personal taste things which is preference not a problem with the possible rules.
Jun 22, 2024 7:24 pm
Viking1031 says:

I see it like almost 3rd edition where player options abound but it could be a big nightmare for the dm. I felt 5th Ed move towards simple was better than 3rd Ed.

My other concern with so much in the phb that it may be overwhelming for new players. I found this in many games that they condense a lot into the main rules which make it intimidating for new players. Those experienced see great positives but causes confusion for others.

I think these are valid concerns - I share them, too.

I've only DMed the UA, not played it, but I'm not looking forward to dealing with weapon mastery as a player. I've not found anything harder to DM, but there is a little more complexity for the players. Some people might like more options, but I don't. But I don't want to overcook that point as there's not that much that's changed. It still plays and feels almost exactly like 5e (because it is almost exactly like 5e). It's 5e with bug fixes and tweaks.
Jun 22, 2024 8:40 pm
I for one is looking forward to a fresh take on 5e. The weapon mastery is definitely interesting and I'm curious about the crafting system the mentioned in the video
Jun 23, 2024 3:02 pm
As a player in one of Adam's UA games playing a fighter, I must say that weapon mastery had me both excited and baffled and here's why; it does give you more tactical options but it's also tempting for a player to try and hoard a weapon per effect just to have everything available.
I still think that even with the new options, 5e isn't even remotely complex as 3.5e.
I really enjoyed some of the changes I playtested myself and some of the ones that I saw on the videos that are now being released by WoTC have triggered one or two character ideas.
Jun 27, 2024 5:29 am
Anyone have thoughts on the "all classes get subclasses at level 3" change...I feel like certain classes might feel odd at first like cleric and warlock but druid/wizard it makes total sense
Jun 27, 2024 9:27 am
valdattaMadun says:
Anyone have thoughts on the "all classes get subclasses at level 3" change...I feel like certain classes might feel odd at first like cleric and warlock but druid/wizard it makes total sense
My take away, and was offhandedly mentioned in on the the interviews, was that starting level for at new campaign should be level 3, not level 1
Jun 27, 2024 11:14 am
valdattaMadun says:
I don't if it'll make that much difference for an individual player, but it'll be a nice party dynamic that level 3 will feel like a big event for everyone.
runekyndig says:
My take away, and was offhandedly mentioned in on the the interviews, was that starting level for at new campaign should be level 3, not level 1
Although I'm going to continue to use levels 1 and 2. Those PC graveyards won't fill themselves.
Jun 27, 2024 11:29 am
Adam says:
runekyndig says:
Although I'm going to continue to use levels 1 and 2. Those PC graveyards won't fill themselves.
Of course you are :)
But then it is not experienced adventures that fills your graveyard. Its silly apprentices wizards and rookie guards
Jun 27, 2024 1:29 pm
runekyndig says:
But then it is not experienced adventures that fills your graveyard. Its silly apprentices wizards and rookie guards
The silly apprentice wizards and rookie guards are delicious appetisers before the main course. Of your characters, I think Machi was killed at level 4 and Swan at level 8. Yum! (burp)

In terms of killability, I think PCs are just as murderable in the new 2024 release as they were in the 2014 release (even at high levels). The main difference is that the characters can be more tactical while the DM massacres them.

It's also nice that clerics can use levels 1 and 2 to build up a character and backstory before committing to a domain.
Jun 27, 2024 1:41 pm
valdattaMadun says:
I agree. Thematically, it doesn't really work for some classes IMO. Which makes me wonder what changes those classes are seeing so that it does (supposedly) work?

I already hate the new Paladin. Wondering what else I may learn to loathe.
Jun 27, 2024 4:13 pm
I'm mixed on the new paladin. I think it was probably fun but not good for the game that a paladin dual wielding or using pole arm master could potentially hit 3 times and use all their best slots on the boss monster and basically solo the boss or at least do the damage or 3 players by themselves, and I do think it will be good for players to branch out and try other smite spells and not just use divine smite.

I'd say I like 75-90% of the mechanical changes I have seen so far, though it was mostly spells and niche things like action being better on a wizard that I had problem with the old version. The stuff I am not as big a fan of is the fluff I am seeing here and there
Jun 27, 2024 4:19 pm
MaJunior says:
I already hate the new Paladin. Wondering what else I may learn to loathe.
I'm looking forward to trying out the paladin. And I thought Adam was the grumpy old man here
Jun 27, 2024 6:42 pm
Adam says:
The silly apprentice wizards and rookie guards are delicious appetisers before the main course. Of your characters, I think Machi was killed at level 4 and Swan at level 8. Yum! (burp)
How many time did Eira make death saves? And you failed to kill her?
Jun 27, 2024 6:56 pm
I haven't followed the updates, but I've heard some things I like and some I don't. It continues to veer away from its roots, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd be more than happy to try 5.5, assuming Adam was at the helm. We the people demand another Adam game!

What do we want?

More Adam!

When do we want it?

Once or twice a day for roughly a year or two!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.