Need testers for some big changes on staging

load previous
Aug 30, 2024 9:15 pm
Out of curiosity I also made a game with a fully Cyrillic name.

It displays correctly in:
- Game Details.
- Forum listings (https://staging.gamersplane.com/forums/).
- Game listings (https://staging.gamersplane.com/games/list).
- Games dropdown menu.
- My Games (https://staging.gamersplane.com/games/my).
- Game's ACP.
- Subscriptions.
- Main page.

It does not display correctly in:
- Heading on the game's forum itself (orange heading in https://staging.gamersplane.com/forums/11552). However, if you go into a thread inside the game, the very same heading looks fine.
- Subforum addresses in the game (it looks like Index > Game Forums > ????).
- Email about new subscription posts: it looks like "FlyingSucculent made a new post in the thread "" in the ???? forum." Both the game name and the thread name are the same, btw, so that's interesting.
Last edited August 30, 2024 9:19 pm
Aug 30, 2024 11:15 pm
Ok, that's what I needed. Someone on SO said that when you convert a table, it doesn't convert the data inside. I'm gonna have to write a script that will update every forum post with it's title converted, and we should be good. Same with post bodies and any other place emojis are.
Aug 30, 2024 11:18 pm
Ok, can someone check if games from prod with emojis in the title are showing up correctly? And to confirm, any new games you created with emojis in the title aren't?
Aug 30, 2024 11:32 pm
Erm, it seems that I can see all emojis on staging now? I made two new games titled "❤️❤️❤️" and "💡💡💡 Test" respectively, and they display correctly everywhere. Same with Cyrillics (except the old one).

Edit: except in emails, it seems, those are still broken.
Last edited August 30, 2024 11:37 pm
Aug 30, 2024 11:38 pm
New data should always have been working. It's old data that's problematic. Do old games forums now show emojis in the title?
Aug 30, 2024 11:42 pm
Well, the new data with Cyrillic didn't work before for whatever reason. Works now though, so idk.

I can see the emoji in GP Develpment game for what's it worth, but I can't check if it looks fine inside since it's private. And I'm not in any games with emojis, so unfortunately I can't check that further. :(

Edit: ooh, I forgot, I am in one retired game with an emoji in title. It looks fine.
Last edited August 30, 2024 11:48 pm
Aug 30, 2024 11:55 pm
Ok, then the solution is working. So, next steps:
- Lets recap what's still wrong with staging. I know there's some data missing, please let me know what that was
- Lets list out what data has/likely has emojis so I can fix all the fields
Aug 31, 2024 12:05 am
Keleth says:
- Lets recap what's still wrong with staging. I know there's some data missing, please let me know what that was
Bookmarks for games and characters get messed up on import.
Some private games are randomly marked public (but are not functionally public).
Subscription are empty (I can't actually confirm if it's still true since I don't have any, but vagueGM reported it earlier.)
Advanced rules definitions display without line breaks, with \n instead.
[ +- ] Example
Aug 31, 2024 12:31 am
Keleth says:
- Lets list out what data has/likely has emojis so I can fix all the fields
[ +- ] To the best of my imagination
Aug 31, 2024 1:49 am
That's a great list!

Also character sheets
Last edited August 31, 2024 1:49 am
Aug 31, 2024 1:50 am
Also, well done Keleth on solving the emoji problem! That was a tough one!
Aug 31, 2024 1:53 am
Chalrytharendir says:
Also, well done Keleth on solving the emoji problem! That was a tough one!
I have a solution, though I don't understand parts of it. For those curious, the sum is this:
Quote:
SELECT CONVERT(BINARY(CONVERT(title USING latin1)) USING utf8mb4) FROM forums;
Why latin1? Why does prod work, even though the script I created to just pull and display the prod data doesn't?
Aug 31, 2024 12:33 pm
Keleth says:
Quote:
SELECT CONVERT(BINARY(CONVERT(title USING latin1)) USING utf8mb4) FROM forums;
Why latin1? ...
My assumption when I suggested latin1 for the export/import process was that most data was entered by people/systems assuming ASCII as a baseline, so dropping all three byte character codes to being three separate bytes (even if not legit ACSII) instead of some broken utf8 combination, and then having the system interpret those three bytes back as utf8 might work. (Some of them might be smaller than three bytes, I don't claim any knowledge of what mysql is doing, I'm just preemptively casting Protection From Pedants. :)

latin1 because 'lowest common denominator' and all?
Keleth says:
... Why does prod work, even though the script I created to just pull and display the prod data doesn't?
That part does worry me. My concern is that you are fixing something for php that will require you to fix it again when you move away from php. But, since you have worked out how to fix it, that should not be too onerous?

The mysql command itself was showing the previously imported ones correctly while php was breaking them.
Now the mysql command is showing those that previously worked [ref] as broken.
https://i.imgur.com/ezQiDOK.png

I created a simple php8.2-cli container and it also prints the unicode as php7 does, so it is not an 'old php' issue.
https://i.imgur.com/vJGCQ0X.png
Aug 31, 2024 1:10 pm
So python (mysql.connector) also renders the above query correctly, so we can probably ignore the fact that the official mysql command line client is doing something weird.
Aug 31, 2024 10:05 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
Bookmarks for games and characters get messed up on import.
Some private games are randomly marked public (but are not functionally public).
Can you provide examples of these so I can compare?
FlyingSucculent says:

Subscription are empty (I can't actually confirm if it's still true since I don't have any, but vagueGM reported it earlier.)
Advanced rules definitions display without line breaks, with \n instead.
These two are fixed and can be confirmed.
Sep 1, 2024 5:47 am
Keleth says:
Can you provide examples of these so I can compare?