Chapter 3: Advent of the Avalanche Lords

load previous
Jul 15, 2024 7:38 pm
OOC:
Sorry, was backpacking over the weekend
Hyde nods at the agreed upon plan and dashes off after the thief. The nimble rogue proves faster than the heavier warrior and Hyde struggles to keep up.

"Damn chainmail is heavier than I thought!"
Jul 16, 2024 10:52 am
Honey, Tim, and Hakan make their way to the unofficial church. A wooden doll climbs up the door, trying to use its awl to pry its way in to this abode. Just as you arrive, the door swings open, pushing the doll tumbling back down the rocky hillside but causing no damage to it. An elf in priestly white garb peers out from the door, a tiny jeweled hatchet in his hand. "Please, help!" the elf implores as the doll gets back to its feet.

The doll rushes at Honey and attacks, scoring a critical hit! The awl digs into Honey's hamstring, causing her to fall!

Meanwhile, Evadare and Hyde rush towards the Guntherson Showroom. Yeoman Guntherson is the only other human in Krinnelton. He is old, with streaks of gray in his ample beard, and wears a knit cap. Guntherson stands in the cluttered showroom of his shop, hundreds of tools and supplies and minor trophies cluttering the large space, leaving narrow walkways between themed sections. One wall is lined with fishing gear and laminated fish heads, while a pile across the walkway is stacked with crates filled with heavy nets and steel spikes. A wicked doll climbs atop the crates, backing a defenseless Guntherson toward the mountaineering supplies. "Go to sleep, my sweet dear," the doll sings softly without moving its lips, then brings its awl down into Gunderson's chest! The man groans and falls!

https://i.imgur.com/TxDYCnP.png

As you prepare to deal with the dolls, an explosion sounds from within Hammlin house! The blast visibly diminishes the strength of the magical shield surrounding Krinnelton...
OOC:
6 damage to Honey and she is knocked prone. Everybody may act. I'll be running both fights as one simultaneous encounter to make things easier. :)

Rolls

Bomb Location - (d6)

(3) = 3

Initiative (Evadare, Hakan, Honey, Hyde, Tim, Enemies) - (d20+2, d20, d20, d20+3, d20+3, d20+3)

d20+2 : (14) + 2 = 16

d20 : (8) = 8

d20 : (10) = 10

d20+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

Awl vs Honey - (d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Awl vs Gunderson - (d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Crit Table vs Honey - (d8)

(3) = 3

Damage (Honey, Gunderson) - (d8, d8)

d8 : (6) = 6

d8 : (7) = 7

Jul 16, 2024 2:25 pm
Tim casts Flaming Hands at the wooden psychotoy, but his hands are still too cold from traveling in these snow-covered lands to invoke any flames.
Last edited July 16, 2024 2:28 pm

Rolls

Flaming Hands - (1d20+3+1+0)

(5) + 4 = 9

Jul 16, 2024 7:03 pm
Hakan reels at the sight of Honey getting hit and Tim's magic being all fiddly. Feels like the the spotlight's on him and his spells aren't exactly fit for direct combat, so he'll need to get creative...
OOC:
Result: The caster projects a short phrase to a place within 30’ and line of sight. He can use his own voice, or he can simulate another voice or sound that he has previously heard. For example, the caster can make the goblin captain appear to shout "Retreat!" in the goblin’s own voice. There is no visual manifestation, only the sound created. Listeners that fail a Will save (rolled by judge) believe the noise to originate from the place designated; if they succeed on the save, they hear the voice from its true origin point of the caster’s location.

Casting Ventriloquism to mimic Hyde's voice coming from behind the doll saying "Have at thee!", in hopes of creating a distraction, or at least buying the other two some time. The d24 on the check is due to Mercurial Magic.
Last edited July 16, 2024 7:09 pm

Rolls

Spell check: Ventriloquism - (d24+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Jul 16, 2024 8:45 pm
Having experienced the effects on the wooden creature just a few minutes ago, Honey repeats the spell from the ground, wasting no time even getting up.
OOC:
Results: The cleric causes a number of small wooden objects equal to his level to suddenly sprout long, sharp thorns that inflict 1d6+CL damage to any creature carrying, wearing, or otherwise touching the affected objects. Carried objects are automatically dropped. The affected objects cannot be larger than a spear or shield. Magical wooden objects are unaffected.
OOC:
May I burn 1pt of Luck to reduce the effect to: The cleric causes a wooden object 20’ square or smaller to bend and warp, destroying its functionality.
Bridges break, roofs collapse, walls buckle, sailing ships spring leaks, etc. The cleric can affect multiple, smaller, wooden objects as long as they do not exceed the affected size in total
Last edited July 16, 2024 8:51 pm

Rolls

Wood Wyrding - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Jul 16, 2024 8:55 pm
Whipping out his crossbow, Evadare sends a bolt whizzing towards the strange doll trying to murder a man! If all goes as planned, it will be slammed away and towards a wall.

Rolls

Crossbow - Attack - (1d20+2+2)

(12) + 4 = 16

Crossbow - Damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jul 17, 2024 2:13 am
"Damn! We're too late!"

Hyde has no time to lament; as Evadare takes his shot the warrior unsheathes Sparklefang and charges at the automaton. He swings for the arm with the awl, trying to sever it from the puppet's body...

Rolls

Deed Dice: 1d5 - (DeedDice:1d5)

(2) = 2

Sparklefang - Roll - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Sparklefang - Damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Jul 17, 2024 8:11 am
OOC:
Honey, I'll let you choose a "lesser" spell effect without having to burn Luck.
Near the church, Tim's magic falters, but Hakan distracts the doll long enough for Honey to call upon the Lady in Blue. As before, the wooden doll is ripped asunder, revealing the ticking time bomb within!

Meanwhile, in the showroom, Evadare fires a crossbow bolt into the wooden doll. Hyde moves in and slices off the doll's arm, taking half of its body along with it! The doll falls and lies still, save for the faint pulsing of the bomb within its torso...
OOC:
The bomb near the church will explode in 2 rounds, while the one in the storeroom will explode in 1 round! Each device may be disarmed prior to detonation by a DC 15 Intelligence check or a DC 12 disable traps roll. Failure on a disarm check will result in immediate explosion of the device.

Gunderson will bleed out and die in 1 round. He can be stabilized with any amount of magical healing or a DC 12 Intelligence check.

Rolls

Bomb Delay - (d3, d3)

d3 : (2) = 2

d3 : (1) = 1

Jul 17, 2024 11:09 am
"I got this!" Hakan shouts to the others, this time in his normal voice and from where it should be originating. Surely the cleric of the Lady in Blue could tend to her wounds while he'd be applying his superior intellect disarming that bomb...
OOC:
Since the idea was to split teams based on Intelligence/Disable Device, I'm guessing the two wizards work together on this. Up to the GM if that means two separate rolls, one with a bonus or something else.

Edit: Nevermind, I do indeed got this.
Last edited July 18, 2024 6:39 am

Rolls

DC 15 Intelligence check - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Jul 17, 2024 2:45 pm
Seeing that the bomb is handily diffused, the cleric attends to her wound. The awl punctured deep so it will pain her for days, but at least she can close the opening and prevent infection.
OOC:
Failure. Gained a point of disapproval.
Last edited July 17, 2024 2:48 pm

Rolls

Lay On Hands - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Jul 17, 2024 2:55 pm
"Hyde, take the body! I'll go after the bomb! I'd rather we not all be dead!" With deft skill, he begins disarming the device while also glancing around the storeroom for anything of value.
Last edited July 17, 2024 2:55 pm

Rolls

Disable trap - (1d20+5+2-2)

(11) + 5 = 16

Jul 18, 2024 12:18 am
"Body's dead my friend, I have one last card to play if we fail..."

Hyde readies his shield beside the thief to clamp down on the bomb should he fail...
OOC:
if the bomb detonates id like to use a potential mighty deed to clamp down on the bomb with the shield like a helmet on a grenade in 'nam
Jul 18, 2024 10:46 am
Both Hakan and Evadare are able to dismantle their respective bombs before they explode. At the church, the elf in the doorway breathes a sigh of relief. "By Father Frost's frozen whiskers! We're mighty grateful for your help, friends. Go, help the rest of the town!"

In the showroom, poor Yeoman Guntherson's body has already begun to cool. There are plenty of tools and supplies here of all sorts if you wish to be unsavory and take them for yourselves.

In the meantime, though, there are still more attacks underway!
OOC:
Let me know where you want to go next. There was an explosion at Hammlin House, and you have yet to go to Hourglass Ned's Workshop and Colonel Baxton's Headquarters.
Jul 18, 2024 5:30 pm
OOC:
If time and distance isn't a factor (we should be going to the next closest place if it is), I vote for Ned's Workshop.
Jul 18, 2024 5:38 pm
"Ned’s Workshop?! Sounds like we might find the origin of those animatronic toys. Mayhaps we can end this nightmare there! I suffered a deep injury, so I shall not be the first to rush in, but my new spell seems helpful in undoing these creatures. I’ll cast from as far back as I can. Let’s go! "
Jul 19, 2024 2:11 am
"Grab what ya want but do it fast Evadare, we gotta get to the Colonel's house next!"

Hyde dashes to the door and waits for Evadare to be ready...
Jul 19, 2024 2:13 am
OOC:
Is there anything strange or unusual here? Or just winter-themed gear from the rulebook? If not, he'll just steal something at random for the principle of it, and head out with Hyde.
Last edited July 19, 2024 2:15 am
Jul 23, 2024 12:19 pm
OOC:
Nothing unusual to be found.
Hakan, Honey, and Tim head to Ned's workshop. The eccentric Hourglass Ned, an elf with a long mustache, stands atop the frame of what might someday be a rocket sled. He holds a vial of blue liquid in his hand ready to throw it at the wooden doll that has climbed in the rafters above his work bench, its rusty awl at the ready!

Meanwhile, Hyde and Evadare reach Colonel Baxton's headquarters. The colonel, a young elven woman in a fine military uniform, struggles with a wooden doll that has jumped onto her back! A crossbow and a quiver of bolts hangs from the wall, next to a large tapestry depicting the Krinnelton battle flag, a white snowflake in a circle on a blue background.
OOC:
Evadare, Hyde, and Tim may all act first!

Rolls

Initiative (Evadare, Hakan, Honey, Hyde, Tim, Enemies) - (d20+2, d20, d20, d20+3, d20+3, d20+3)

d20+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

d20 : (1) = 1

d20 : (1) = 1

d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

d20+3 : (18) + 3 = 21

d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Jul 23, 2024 5:26 pm
Unhappy with his Flaming Hands failure, Tim opts to fire his bow at the little bugger up in the rafters.

Rolls

Short Bow - Attack - (1d20+1+0)

(13) + 1 = 14

Short Bow - Damage (if hit was successful) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Jul 24, 2024 3:21 am
Hyde charges the puppet and leans in hard with his mailed shoulder, trying to dislodge the golem from the elf... Alas the wooden devil would not be toppled and so Hyde falls back to his base line and plunges Sparklefang deep into it's torso, the enchanted blade slicing through timber as easily as flesh.
OOC:
deed: knock prone
Deed failed, 22 attack, 8 dmg
Last edited July 24, 2024 3:23 am

Rolls

Deed Dice: 1d5 - (DeedDice:1d5)

(1) = 1

Sparklefang - Roll - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Sparklefang - Damage - (1d8+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.