Chapter 3: Advent of the Avalanche Lords

load previous
Aug 22, 2024 10:22 am
The furry humanoid squeals and shakes as Hakan interrogates it. It speaks in broken Common. "They come for him. A bearded wizard and a thin, scary man. They catch him and put him in metal coffin. Big yetis drag him away, towards west mountains. Not come back. We come here to find treasure. You take treasure, you let go, yes? Yes?"

The creature gestures to the helmet and axe its compatriots were using.
OOC:
Father Frost’s axe: Resembling an oversized woodcutter’s axe, this axe provides a +2 to hit and deals 1d10+2 damage (or 1d14+2 damage if wielded in two hands). This axe provides a limited psychic connection to its creator, and though it isn’t sentient, the axe possesses a latent desire to be held by Father Frost and will give anyone who wields it an impression of where Father Frost is currently located.

Father Frost’s elkhorn helm: This brown, bark-colored helm features large elkhorn antlers. Anyone wearing this helm gains a temporary +1 modifier to Intelligence and Personality, and adds an additional +1 to any spell checks or checks that relate to observation or perception.
Aug 22, 2024 1:07 pm
Hyde sheathes Sparklefang and picks up the axe. It has a good, heavy feel in the hand and Hyde gives it a few test swings to try the balance.

"Anyone else know how to swing this thing or should I use it? Evadare, you want to wield Sparklefang until the axe turns on me or are you more of an axe man?"
Last edited August 22, 2024 1:22 pm
Aug 22, 2024 4:54 pm
In response to Hyde, Tim says, "I'd probably just hurt myself."

Tim picks up the elkhorn helm and chuckles. "Not quite like my ram's horn helm." He tries it on. "Not a bad fit. Probably looks silly. Oooo, it's enhanced." He turns to Hakan. "Care to try it on?"
Aug 22, 2024 5:34 pm
Evadare takes Sparklefang, holding it as though it weren't the first time. It's not like he had ever been seen with the sword... during the day. He practices a few parries and flourishes that he had seen the warrior perform during battle.

It's clear he needs practice.
Aug 22, 2024 6:02 pm
OOC:
Longsword +1 hit and damage, detect vampires within 100 feet, if struck a vampire must save (Fort) vs DC 1d20+10 or die instantly
Aug 23, 2024 6:05 am
Hakan's face is still caught in a sadistic smile, surprised in a pleasant way at how easy it was and how fast the little creature gave up all the treasure and information to save itself. He's so caught up in it, he barely senses Ashon crawl back into the folds of his clothing, let alone Tim's offer to him.

"Not quite my style. I'll let you have it, out of respect for you being a more long-tenured member of this group, as long as you forfeit now your claim to any wizardly trinket we come across next."
Aug 23, 2024 5:58 pm
Tim nods. "Fair enough. The next 'wizardly trinket' is yours."
Aug 26, 2024 3:23 pm
"Looks like the sun is setting lads, we could use this cave to wait out the night. I could do with a bit of rest anyway."
Aug 26, 2024 3:26 pm
"T'would be a good idea to do a more thorough search, as well... who knows what those furry devils left behind... or found.
Aug 26, 2024 5:26 pm
"Then we set watch. We cannot risk an attack by surprise. My Lady will not save those who needlessly put themselves in danger."
Aug 26, 2024 11:00 pm
"I'll take third watch, just let me get a few winks in."
Last edited August 26, 2024 11:00 pm
Aug 27, 2024 6:29 am
"I'll take the last watch then. Do appreciate an uninterrupted sleep."
Aug 27, 2024 7:08 am
"It is settled then. We leave for the west mountains at first light."
And the cleric settles in for a full night’s rest.
OOC:
Resetting disapproval.
Last edited August 27, 2024 7:10 am
Aug 27, 2024 12:34 pm
Evadare remains silent for some time, even when it is time to claim the second watch. Even then, he acts bewildered until he finally breaks and accepts to slot. Second and third, the worst watches due to the grogginess come the morning.
Sep 5, 2024 10:12 am
You pass the night safely in the cave before venturing back out into the frozen wastes, following the trail west into the mountains. You've traveled for a few hours when you suddenly hear the sound of ice cracking coming from either side of you. A moment later, two enormous blue-white serpents burst out from under the frozen crust of the snowy landscape! The slithering beasts are 20 feet long with scaly bellies and patches of fur on their backs. Their eyes glow blue as they open their jaws wide to attack!

Before you can react, the serpents bite at Hakan and Evadare, attempting to swallow both men whole!

https://i.imgur.com/1ufcqLr.png
OOC:
9 damage to Hakan, 4 damage to Evadare. Each of them must attempt a Reflex save against the unmodified attack roll of the serpent who bit them (DC 8 for Hakan and DC 19 for Evadare) or be swallowed, taking an additional 1d8 damage this round and every successive round while inside the serpent’s belly.

Everybody may act!

Rolls

Secret Roll

Encounter Roll - (2d6)

(16) = 7

Initiative (Evadare, Hakan, Honey, Hyde, Tim, Enemies) - (d20+2, d20, d20, d20+3, d20+3, d20+4)

d20+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

d20 : (6) = 6

d20 : (2) = 2

d20+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

Bite vs Hakan, Evadare - (d20+5, d20+5)

d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

Damage - (d12, d12)

d12 : (9) = 9

d12 : (4) = 4

Sep 5, 2024 1:34 pm
OOC:
Evadaaaaaaaaare!!!
Such skill! Such grace! As the serpent draws blood from our intrepid burglar, he manages to deftly kick off and out from the mouth of the beast! With the agility of a dancer, our hooded thief steps to the side and brings his swords towards the face of his attacker!

It is praiseworthy that his mercy stayed the blade that would bite into this mindless serpent!
Last edited September 5, 2024 1:40 pm

Rolls

Agility - Save - (Ref1d20+2+3)

(19) + 5 = 24

Sparklefang - Attack - (1d20+2+0+1)

(7) + 3 = 10

Sparklefang - Damage - (1d8+0+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Sep 5, 2024 2:52 pm
Seeing the slithering beasts emerge and attack her pledges, the chaos cleric draws upon the power of her deity and shouts out to the devil wyrm that attacked Hakan, "Look at me, fell creature. Look into my eyes!! See your doom!!!"
OOC:
Burning 1pt of Luck for this result:
Making eye contact with one target, the cleric forces it to stare into the swirling hypnotics of her gaze. The target receives a Will save. If it fails, then as long as the cleric concentrates fully and maintains eye contact creature is held immobile and cannot take any action. If eye contact is broken – either voluntarily by the cleric or because the target is severely jostled, blindfolded, or otherwise removed from the cleric’s sight – then the target regains its senses and can act as normal.
OOC:
Creature’s Save DC is 14
Last edited September 5, 2024 8:42 pm

Rolls

Lotus Stare - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Sep 5, 2024 5:45 pm
With Evadare safely free of the snow serpent, Tim casts Flaming Hands. Fire erupts from his fingertips and shoots forth towards the beast.
Last edited September 5, 2024 5:47 pm

Rolls

Flaming Hands (Last +1 due to Elkhorn Helm) - (1d20+3+1+1)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sep 5, 2024 7:30 pm
Hyde grunts with surprise as the ice snakes burst forth, it is only muscle memory that forces his hand to draw steel as the beasts attack. His hand goes instinctively for the hilt of Sparklefang before remembering that he had given it to Evadare. Hyde grunts again as he switches stance to wield the axe...

"Startin' to hate the North!"

Hyde swings the blade in an upward arc in an attempt to dislocate or sever one of the snake's lower jaws to keep it from swallowing...
OOC:
damn, only 11 to hit
Last edited September 5, 2024 7:30 pm

Rolls

Deed Dice: 1d5 - (DeedDice:1d5)

(3) = 3

Frost Axe +2 - Roll - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Frost Axe +2 - Damage - (1d10+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.