Character Creation

Jul 14, 2024 3:18 am
Use this character sheet, please:
[ +- ] Sotdl
For quick communication with me and your fellow players, come to this discord. https://discord.com/invite/Zs36YCFW
Jul 14, 2024 11:23 am
Make all character creation posts in this thread, including all rolls and decisions.

Resourced Allowed
All official books allowed. Some 3PP books are allowed; please ask me before using them.

If you don't own any of the books, that's ok. I can help you select your ancestries and paths, or help locate the book for you to purchase.

Selecting An Ancestry
Non-Powerful Ancestries: You may select any you like. If you're brand new, I recommend keeping to the core book. Some ancestries have been published in more than one book; if you select an ancestry that has multiple options, I may limit which book to use (for example, sylph from DLC2 can't be used, but sylph from Heaven's Sent can).

Powerful Ancestry: Centaur, Jotun, and Soulbound Armor are allowed.

Attributes
Select the standard attributes for your ancestry. We will not be rolling for attributes. As always, you can take a +1 to any one attribute for a -1 in a different attribute.

Charts and Tables
⋅ Roll or select from any of the tables.

Starting Equipment
Give yourself some equipment that makes sense for your character to have. Everyone also starts with two enchanted items; if you have an idea for what you'd like, let me know and I can craft something for you.

Please note that some of the character creation tables may grant an enchanted item - if you select this, it still counts at the two that you start with.

Novice Path
If you have a Powerful Ancestry, then you will not have a novice path. Your ancestry will lay out the options for levels 1, 2, and 5.

If you have a normal ancestry, then you can select a novice path. Everyone should already know which path they want. The expanded novice books are allowed, but for new folks, the core book is perfectly good to use.

Expert Path
You will select Paladin. It's on page 68.

Traditions of Magic
Magic works like this:

Your path will tell you if you can get a tradition or a spell. You cannot gain a new spell from a tradition unless you already know the tradition, so you always have to pick a tradition first. When you first pick a tradition, you automatically gain one rank 0 spell from that tradition.

After you know the tradition, if your path tells you that you can learn a spell, then you can learn any spell from that tradition, so long as your power score allows it.

Your power score determines the maximum rank you can learn, so if you have Power 1, you can learn Rank 0 and Rank 1 spells. Your power score also says how many times you can cast each spell. If you have Power 1, then you can cast your Rank 0 spells twice per day and your Rank 1 spells once per day. This limit is per spell, so if you have three rank 0 spells, you can cast each of them twice per day.

Your religion is the Cult of the New God. Your religious traditions are Celestial, Life, and Theurgy. If your path says you have to select from a religious tradition, these are the three you can choose from. However, you're allowed to swap one of them out for a different tradition to help customize which sect you might belong to.

If your path does not say you have to select from a religious tradition, then you're free to select any tradition you want. However, dark magic is forbidden.

Additional Requirements

1) Use the character sheet provided.

2) Make your character sheet public.

3) If you're experienced with this game, help those who aren't with their character building.
Jul 14, 2024 11:26 am
I feel the best way to go about character creation is to go level by level. Start with level 0 and your ancestry. Use the normal rules. If you've never played this game before, I will gladly help you make your character.

Then level up to 1 with your chosen novice path. Repeat until you get to level 6.

A decision on House Rules:
Each time you level up, you can choose to swap out a spell. There's two rule sets for this: Core and Occult Philosophy.

The Core rules states that whenever you learn a new spell, you can also swap out a different spell you have already learned. The swap must be of equal rank or lower.

The Occult Philosophy rules states that when you're eligible to learn a spell, you can swap out one spell you know for a different one. There's no restriction on rank, but you can only do this once per level.

I will leave it up to you guys which rules we should use.

Core or OP rules for swapping spells? Public

Core
Occult Philosophy
Jul 14, 2024 1:25 pm
I'm going to be an elf magician/paladin. I'll update with more info as I decide.

Background: You had a tryst with a human that resulted in the birth of a faun. You abandoned both.
Faerie Mark: Tail of a monkey.
Quirk: The smell of iron sickens you.
Personality: You are curious about the world beyond your home and seek new experiences among the fascinating creatures there.
Professions: Courtier and storyteller.
Interesting Thing: A purple crystal, one inch wide and nine inches long.
Wealth: Getting by
Last edited July 16, 2024 11:24 am

Rolls

Elf background - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Age - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Faerie Mark x3 - (3d6, 3d6, 3d6)

3d6 : (232) = 7

3d6 : (214) = 7

3d6 : (233) = 8

Quirk - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Personality - (3d6)

(254) = 11

Professions - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (10) = 10

1d20 : (11) = 11

Interesting Thing - (1d6, 1d20)

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d20 : (8) = 8

Wealth - (3d6)

(326) = 11

Jul 14, 2024 10:14 pm
[ +- ] LEVEL 0 - Ancestry (Changeling)
[ +- ] LEVEL 1 - Novice Path (Rogue)
[ +- ] LEVEL 2: Novice Path (Rogue)
[ +- ] LEVEL 3: Expert Path (Paladin)
[ +- ] LEVEL 4: Ancestry (Changeling)
[ +- ] LEVEL 5: Novice Path (Rogue)
[ +- ] LEVEL 6: Expert Path (Paladin)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1262019852017602672/1262194719618760774/Shadow.jpg?ex=6697b02f&is=66965eaf&hm=b2a807818c813ddc1df588aa84d09aa58d8766d68faa0e4029b31954ccf9d160&
Last edited July 17, 2024 12:23 pm

Rolls

Background - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Lifestyle - (3d6)

(416) = 11

Interesting Things roll for table - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Interesting Things roll on table - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Level 3 Interesting Things roll for table - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Level 3 Interesting Things - (1d20)

(18) = 18

reroll Level 3 Interesting Things for table - (1d6)

(3) = 3

reroll Level 3 Interesting Things on table - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jul 14, 2024 11:29 pm
Alrighty, well... this is all brand new to me so here goes!

Background: You spent 1 year as a prisoner in a dungeon.

Personality You put your interests and those of your friends above all else.

Religion: You follow the tenets of the Old Faith.

Build: You are average in height and weight.

Appearance: You are perfectly average in appearance. You look like everyone else.

...huh. I'm about as average as they come.

Wealth: Getting By. You earn enough to meet all your expenses.
-- You have a dagger, a staff or club or sling with 20 stones, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, 1 torch, and a pouch containing 6 cp.

Interesting Things: A box of cigars or a pipe and pouch of tobacco.
[ +- ] Level 1 - Warrior
[ +- ] Level 2 - Warrior
[ +- ] Level 3 - Paladin
[ +- ] Level 4 - Human
[ +- ] Level 5 - Warrior
[ +- ] Level 6 - Paladin
Last edited July 18, 2024 5:25 am

Rolls

Background - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Personality - (3d6)

(433) = 10

Religion - (3d6)

(331) = 7

Build - (3d6)

(561) = 12

Age - (3d6)

(125) = 8

Appearance - (3d6)

(543) = 12

Prisoner - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Wealth - (3d6)

(522) = 9

Interesting Things Roll 1 - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Interesting Things Roll 2 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Torches - (1d3)

(1) = 1

CP - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Trait: Positive - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Trait: Negative - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Negative trait reroll - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 15, 2024 1:41 am
Welcome! Please join th Discord if you're able. We can have much quicker back and forth for helping you make a character! :)
Jul 15, 2024 3:43 am
I have never used Discord.
Jul 15, 2024 4:19 am
Well, if you ever do, come on by!

Otherwise, I'll do my best to help you make a character here.

If you submit your character sheet, I can assist with filling it out, as well.
Jul 15, 2024 6:43 am
https://i.imgur.com/rNhbmN4.jpeg

Navigator Caranthir son of Imlerith

Build: Short 8ft 420lbs
Chalky White, Crimson Eyes, Thick, Brutish

Professional Whaler.
A storm destroyed my ship and I was alone in your backwater kingdom.

I am 35yrs old

I am Grimnir's Knight, a paragon of blood and iron. Your bucolic language calls it a paladin.

Level 1 Jotun
Increase 2 Attributes by +1 (Str and Int)
Health +6
Catch Your Breath

Level 2 Jotun
Health +6
Magic: Power +1 Tradition: Runes, Translate Anything
Weapon Training

Level 3 Paladin
Attributes: +1 Str, +1 Int
Health +4 Power +1
Magic: Tradition Water, Produce Water
Divine Smite
Faith Healing

Level 4 Jotun
Health +6
Magic: Spell: Ice Cage

Level 5 Jotun
Health +6
Titan's Strike
Magic: Power +1, Ice Shards

Level 6 Paladin
Health +4
Magic: Spell
Divine Vigor
Sense Enemies

I carry a Mummified human head, named Mimir, I speak to it when I need wisdom.

I wear The Enchanted Suit of Plate, Keening.
The armor radiates menace. Creatures within 5 yards of it make Will challenge rolls with 1 bane to resist being frightened.

I hold the Navigation rod for our ship.

I carry an etched stone bearing Hruntnir's Heart rune

Armed and Armored to the Teeth
https://i.imgur.com/JrOK0xz.jpeg
Last edited July 16, 2024 7:52 pm

Rolls

Jotun Build - (3d6)

(113) = 5

Appearance - (3d6)

(424) = 10

Personality - (3d6)

(345) = 12

Profession - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Background - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Age - (3d6)

(632) = 11

Interesting Thing - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Enchanted Plate Armor Properties - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Table 5 Properties - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Enchanted Maul Properties - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Table 1 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Interesting thing Level 3 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Lifestyle - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Jul 15, 2024 7:20 am
I, too, shall make a jotun! Let the ice-capades commence!

Build: You are a typical jotun, 9 feet tall and 700 pounds.
Appearance: You have light blue skin with dark patches under your eyes and in the creases of your skin. Your irises are white with red flecks.
Personality: You do and take what you want because you are strong. You are given to boasts and never back down from a challenge.
Profession: Fisher or whaler
Background: You found a great treasure. Begin the game with one enchanted object created by the GM.
Interesting Thing: A golden torc worth 1d3 gc

https://i.imgur.com/UXmBxD5.jpeg
Last edited July 15, 2024 10:52 am

Rolls

Build - (3d6)

(524) = 11

Appearance - (3d6)

(655) = 16

Personality - (3d6)

(613) = 10

Profession - (d20)

(14) = 14

Background - (d20)

(20) = 20

Age - (3d6)

(125) = 8

Interesting Thing of the Frozen Wastes - (d20)

(17) = 17

Jul 15, 2024 1:27 pm
@Jomsviking Nice! Just a small heads up for lore - Jotun have a blue skinned hue. I might be able to alter that photo of yours, if you like.

I'm not that worried about being strict on lore, so if you want to keep it as is, that's ok too.
Jul 15, 2024 5:47 pm
Bookrat says:
@Jomsviking Nice! Just a small heads up for lore - Jotun have a blue skinned hue. I might be able to alter that photo of yours, if you like.

I'm not that worried about being strict on lore, so if you want to keep it as is, that's ok too.
The roll I got said Chalk White some kinda mutant. Which will explain his immense magical power!
Jul 15, 2024 7:45 pm
Joms: Nice! Want me to make him have more chalk-white skin tone, or are you happy with the image as is?

Everyone: There has been a request for each player to dedicate one of their language spots to a secret hand signal language - this will allow everyone to secretly communicate with each other so long as you have a free hand.
Jul 15, 2024 8:07 pm
He is already a 1 on the Fitzpatrick scale. And that pink can be explained by his not being in a subzero environment and quarter elf quarter wraith.
Jul 15, 2024 8:09 pm
@Jomsviking would you like our characters to have known each other before becoming paladins? Since we’re both jotuns and both rolled fisher/whaler for background, perhaps we were on the same ship that sank, or we could even be related.
Jul 15, 2024 8:28 pm
Jomsviking says:
He is already a 1 on the Fitzpatrick scale. And that pink can be explained by his not being in a subzero environment and quarter elf quarter wraith.
Sounds good!

Just a heads up for spell selection - remember that when you learn a new tradition, you ALSO gain one rank 0 spell. So you should have one rank 0 spell for each tradition you know. So your level 2 Jotun, when you learn a tradition, you get that rank 0, and then you learn an additional spell on top of that (either rank 0 or Rank 1) - because your level 2 says you get both a tradition and a spell.

Later levels then say you can learn a new tradition (w/ a rank 0) OR learn a new spell from a tradition you already know (any rank up to your power score at that level).

Additionally, each time you level up, you can swap one previously learned spell for another spell of any tradition you know (up to the highest rank you can learn at that level).
Jul 15, 2024 8:54 pm
Dmbrainiac says:
@Jomsviking would you like our characters to have known each other before becoming paladins? Since we’re both jotuns and both rolled fisher/whaler for background, perhaps we were on the same ship that sank, or we could even be related.
Mulling some ideas over, thinking a dynamic like Tormund Giantsbane and Beautiful Brynn. We could be the power couple? Haven't played one of those ever. So it has an appeal. What do you think?
Jul 15, 2024 9:04 pm
Sure, that would be fun, especially since I’m younger, taller, and heavier than you! :D
Jul 15, 2024 10:12 pm
What is everyone picking for their traditions?
Jul 15, 2024 10:44 pm
No clue yet.
Jul 15, 2024 10:57 pm
Illusion
Jul 15, 2024 11:17 pm
Rune and Water and forbidden eventually
Jul 15, 2024 11:27 pm
@MaJunior,@Jomsviking Do either of you need any assistance with character creation?
Jul 16, 2024 12:32 am
I might, but I'm still at work so it'll be a while.
Jul 16, 2024 4:30 am
Dmbrainiac says:
Sure, that would be fun, especially since I’m younger, taller, and heavier than you! :D
Exactly

https://i.imgur.com/kMe1BDy.gif
Jul 16, 2024 4:50 am
Bookrat says:
@MaJunior,@Jomsviking Do either of you need any assistance with character creation?
Negatif

Just reading the rule book.
Jul 16, 2024 5:29 am
Level 5 Jotun
Magic: Power +1, Ice Shards(Trained up to Cold Snap)

At level 5, your Power score is 3. That lets you have up to Rank 3 spells. Ice Shard is a Rank 3 spell, and Cold Snap is a Rank 4. You won't be able to get Cold Snap for this adventure.

Level 6 Paladin
Health +4, Power +1
Magic: Spell Rune of Vitality

Level 6 does not grant a boost to power. Your max power for this adventure is 3. Level 7 brings your next power boost, and the final one is at level 9.

Rune of Vitality is a Rank 4 spell, and you won't be able to get it for this adventure.

I wear The Enchanted Suit of Plate, Keening.
I hold the Navigation rod for our ship.

Hmmm.. let's see..

Navigation Rod:
You can use an action and state a destination. The wielder of the rod knows the cardinal direction of the destination. This action can be done three times per rest.

Enchanted Suit of Plate, Keening:
Pick from one of these:

1) You can use an action to protect yourself from magic for 1 round. Until the effect ends, you make challenge rolls required by spells or other magical effects with 1 boon. As well, creatures make attack rolls with 1 bane when attacking you with spells. The object has one use per rest
2) The armor is buoyant and never sinks. It always floats back to the surface of any liquid into which it is placed.
3) The armor radiates menace. Creatures within 5 yards of it make Will challenge rolls with 1 bane to resist being frightened.
Jul 16, 2024 9:16 am
that armor's fear effect gonna affect the rest of the team?
Jul 16, 2024 9:50 am
I went with Theurgy for my tradition. My character is done save for enchanted items.
Jul 16, 2024 9:55 am
Soooo... I rolled for his level 3 Interesting Thing, and... uh... doesn't get more interesting than this:

Table 3 / 18 = A newborn baby that might or might not be yours

Formally requesting a mulligan!
Jul 16, 2024 12:56 pm
Hahaha!

Yes, roll again!
Jul 16, 2024 1:05 pm
It should be a goblin baby with psychic powers...

https://variety.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Screen-Shot-2022-02-16-at-5.26.01-PM.png?w=1000&h=667&crop=1
Jul 16, 2024 1:22 pm
rerolled and got: An arrow or bolt with a silvered head.
Jul 16, 2024 1:27 pm
That is a strange trade for a baby.
Jul 16, 2024 1:34 pm
It's all they had
Jul 16, 2024 3:21 pm
Shadow is ready to go once his sheet is approved.

His name at top of the sheet is a link to his build notes.
Last edited July 16, 2024 3:22 pm
Jul 16, 2024 4:05 pm
Ok, probably a completely rookie question but here goes:

Castings is per spell, correct? And smite is 1d6 per level of the spell, minimum of 1d6? So if I've got this correct, since I only have 1 power and have minimal use magically, would my best bet be to take 2 level 0 spells for a total of 4 castings, which would allow 4 1d6 smites?

Because that sounds like the beat way to maximize my smiting with such a low power.
Jul 16, 2024 4:23 pm
MaJunior says:
Ok, probably a completely rookie question but here goes:
You're not the only one!
Quote:
Castings is per spell, correct?
Correct! If you have 2 castings of a Rank 0 spell, and you have three Rank 0 spells, that's 2 castings EACH for a total of 6. But you can't swap them around. Once you're out for that spell, you're out.
Quote:
And smite is 1d6 per level of the spell, minimum of 1d6? So if I've got this correct, since I only have 1 power and have minimal use magically, would my best bet be to take 2 level 0 spells for a total of 4 castings, which would allow 4 1d6 smites?
That makes sense to me. Unless there's a rank 1 spell that you particularly want, in order to do something outside of adding damage.

Consider many spells and talents add lateral power, increasing your ability to do different things, rather than increased power that makes your attacks hit harder.
Quote:
Because that sounds like the beat way to maximize my smiting with such a low power.
If your goal is to do more damage, more often - then yes. If your goal is to provide greater utility, then it depends on the spells you grab. :)
Jul 16, 2024 5:01 pm
I figure damage is probably my goal. I only have 1 power and 2 spells total, so even my utility potential is extremely limited.

As for magical items... do we just custom-craft what we want? Roll on the charts and hope for the best? Give you an idea and let you whip something up?
Jul 16, 2024 5:45 pm
MaJunior says:
As for magical items... do we just custom-craft what we want? Roll on the charts and hope for the best? Give you an idea and let you whip something up?
On page 208 there are some charts. You can roll or pick ones that are suitable, and I'll review what you have. Otherwise you can tell me what you'd like and I can try and make something for you.

There really isn't a such thing as a +1 sword or anything. Almost all enchanted items expand your capabilities into new areas.
Jul 16, 2024 5:46 pm
MaJunior says:
I figure damage is probably my goal. I only have 1 power and 2 spells total, so even my utility potential is extremely limited.
Did you get a chance to read A Tale of Two Paladins, that I posted in the recruitment thread? If not, I highly recommend it, especially for your character.
Jul 16, 2024 5:55 pm
nezzeraj / Dmbrainiac

Are you aware of the Military Sign Language that has been approved for this elite team of Paladins? Any chance you both want to take the sign language to help keep our operations covert when we need them to be?
Last edited July 16, 2024 6:18 pm
Jul 16, 2024 6:33 pm
Skimmed it, but being new it didn't make a ton if sense at the time (no context). Having reread it, a lot more of it seems fitting.
Jul 16, 2024 6:47 pm
@MaJunior If you want any assistance with filling out your character sheet, I'm happy to help.

Also, do you understand how magic works with respect to learning traditions and spells?
Jul 16, 2024 6:53 pm
I know it says I get a Tradition (one from the New Gods; so Celestial, Life, or Theurgy) at level 3 (which lets me pick a level 0 spell) and a spell at level 6 that is limited to my power or lower. Lol

Is there more to it?
Jul 16, 2024 7:02 pm
MaJunior says:
I know it says I get a Tradition (one from the New Gods; so Celestial, Life, or Theurgy) at level 3 (which lets me pick a level 0 spell) and a spell at level 6 that is limited to my power or lower. Lol

Is there more to it?
That's right! Also, your level 4 choice as a human, you can pick Determined or gain another spell. So you could have up to three spells of Rank 0 or Rank 1 for the tradition you chose.

Also, for this playtest, I'm letting you pick any tradition you want (not just limited to those three), so long as it's not Dark Magic (Curse, Forbidden, Necromancy).
Jul 16, 2024 7:24 pm
Took Determined.

Still debating my tradition, so I'll give them all a thorough read.
Jul 17, 2024 1:27 am
Balthazar says:
nezzeraj / Dmbrainiac

Are you aware of the Military Sign Language that has been approved for this elite team of Paladins? Any chance you both want to take the sign language to help keep our operations covert when we need them to be?
Yes I'll add that tonight if I don't forget.
Jul 17, 2024 2:03 am
I've noticed there's a few folks who haven't filled out their sheets the way I intended with this character sheet.

Once you think you're done, please let me know and I'll go in and fill out the rest. I can fill in spell details, talent details, etc. I can also customize the sheet to include specific things for your character if you like.
Jul 17, 2024 2:08 am
Hey! If you want my spell section like the original sheet I'll have to get you to do it... 🙃
Jul 17, 2024 2:10 am
@bookrat

Would you allow a daily buff spell (at power 3) that is essentially a freezing aura? Minimal damage, maybe an intellect attack to cause a slow effect?
Jul 17, 2024 3:10 am
Jomsviking says:
@bookrat

Would you allow a daily buff spell (at power 3) that is essentially a freezing aura? Minimal damage, maybe an intellect attack to cause a slow effect?
FROST NOVA - WATER ATTACK 3
Area: A sphere with a 3-yard radius centered on a point within medium range
Each creature in the area must get a success on a Will challenge roll or become slowed for 1 minute. While slowed in this way, when the creature takes a slow turn, it can use an action or move, but not both.
Jul 17, 2024 3:26 am
Finally a Runic/Water spell probably completely useless.

Stargate spell?
Jul 17, 2024 3:28 am
Jomsviking says:
Finally a Runic/Water spell probably completely useless.

Stargate spell?
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.
Jul 17, 2024 4:22 am
A spell which would allow for interacting with a device that allows for transit between planets and stars.
Jul 17, 2024 1:32 pm
I don't think that's appropriate for this campaign. There's some rune and water spells available in the core book you can select.
Jul 17, 2024 4:57 pm
Maybe a weird question, but... is there a book that has additional spells for the Life Tradition? I'm hoping I have more Level 0 options, just in case I want to do something other than smite once. Lol
Jul 17, 2024 5:46 pm
Thank you!
Jul 17, 2024 7:58 pm
I'll be going over everyone's character sheets over the next few days. I'm a little slow right now, because work is a little slammed. We also still have one character that hasn't been submitted yet.

Does everyone have their enchanted items? Need me to come up with something for you?
Jul 17, 2024 8:50 pm
Bookrat says:
I'll be going over everyone's character sheets over the next few days. I'm a little slow right now, because work is a little slammed. We also still have one character that hasn't been submitted yet.

Does everyone have their enchanted items? Need me to come up with something for you?
I could use some help, sure! My character concept is that of a heretical New God follower that believes his deity and the Cog God, the clockwork deity, are one in the same. While he isn't a clockwork himself, he does have a mechanical arm that he had made to replace one he lost in his duty as a paladin. It was when he was in Lij and had the arm constructed that he acquired his new views of the faith.

I was thinking his mechanical arm could serve as one of his enchanted items. Could it perhaps enable using Intellect for Theurgy spells?

For his second item, I had a different idea. Instead of having an enchanted item, could he be a member of one of the seven orders of the Cult of the New God? They're outlined in the Kingdom of God supplement. I was thinking that Keeper of Lore would be fitting.
Jul 18, 2024 2:42 am
TheForsakenEvil says:
Bookrat says:

I could use some help, sure! My character concept is that of a heretical New God follower that believes his deity and the Cog God, the clockwork deity, are one in the same. While he isn't a clockwork himself, he does have a mechanical arm that he had made to replace one he lost in his duty as a paladin. It was when he was in Lij and had the arm constructed that he acquired his new views of the faith.

I was thinking his mechanical arm could serve as one of his enchanted items. Could it perhaps enable using Intellect for Theurgy spells?

For his second item, I had a different idea. Instead of having an enchanted item, could he be a member of one of the seven orders of the Cult of the New God? They're outlined in the Kingdom of God supplement. I was thinking that Keeper of Lore would be fitting.
Agreed on both accounts.
Jul 18, 2024 4:51 am
Starting my review:

Hugh - Things look good so far. You still need to pick your two spells and your equipment (see page 100). You had your health at 45, but I calculated 41. I adjusted it, but please double check me and make sure I didn't mess up. Any ideas for enchanted items? Or would you prefer me to come up with something for you?

Fachtna - Things look good so far. You had two enchanted items listed, but no descriptions of them. Did you need me to come up with something for you?

Sigrid - Things look good so far. Your health is at 46 but I calculated 48. Please double check me on that. I gave you an enchanted item in the discord, but I don't see it on your sheet yet. However, I do see a bunch of potions - which reminds me to talk about that!

I'll continue the reviews tomorrow!
Everyone - please have 5 healing potions each. We'll skip any other potions to help keep this a test of your talents rather than equipment (though the two enchanted items are still good, as that's how many characters should have at this level).
Jul 18, 2024 5:14 am
Everyone:

Remember that all magic requires an implement to cast. Which means that when you cast a spell, you have to wield your implement. This requires a free hand to wield your implement.

Your implement can be any object of significance you like that is fitting to your character. Common ones are wands, rings, amulets, staves, orbs, tomes, and other cliche items associated with magic. However, you can also have a shield or a weapon be your implement - this makes it easy to be able to hold your shield and your implement at the same time, but also means that your implement will be very obvious and you may not always have it with you (as compared to, say, a ring).
Jul 18, 2024 5:28 am
41 looks right. I think I double-added a Paladin level of health. Thanks for catching that!

My spells are chosen (Minor Healing, Death Ward - both level 0), I just have to enter them. I think I have my magic items, but I'm going back and forth a bit. I'll sleep on it.

As for Magic Items:
Thinking of a Sword, or maybe a Bastard Sword with...
[ +- ] Magical Effect

As for my other item, the debate is between:
1) Full Plate with...
[ +- ] Effect
OR
2) Scale Armor with...
[ +- ] Effect

Insight or Opinions?
[ +- ] Side Note.
Last edited July 18, 2024 6:04 am
Jul 18, 2024 5:58 am
"The creatures of this world, they use much less terrifying spell casting foci." Caranthir mused in his pondering. "What do you make of that, Mimir?"

https://i.imgur.com/MmcVpso.jpeg

"..."
Jul 18, 2024 7:02 am
Bookrat says:
Sigrid - Things look good so far. Your health is at 46 but I calculated 48. Please double check me on that. I gave you an enchanted item in the discord, but I don't see it on your sheet yet. However, I do see a bunch of potions - which reminds me to talk about that!
48 is correct, I fixed it. I also added the enchanted items under interesting things on the sheet.
Jul 18, 2024 12:55 pm
MaJunior says:

As for Magic Items:
Thinking of a Sword, or maybe a Bastard Sword with...
[ +- ] Magical Effect
This works!
Quote:
As for my other item, the debate is between:
1) Full Plate with...
[ +- ] Effect
OR
2) Scale Armor with...
[ +- ] Effect
Either one is good.
Quote:
Insight or Opinions?
[ +- ] Side Note.
Yeah, that's exactly what it's for. Lol.
Jul 18, 2024 2:09 pm
Caranthir:

Attributes: Your attributes are 16, 7, 15, 8. These are not possible to get (don't worry, you're not the only one to make this mistake this game!).

Your starting attributes are 13, 9, 8, 10, in that order (str, agi, int, will). You can add 1 to any attribute and subtract 1 from a different attribute, once. From there, you get +1 to two attributes at level 1, and +1 to two attributes at level 3. Since you've dedicated everything to Int and Str so far, that would put you at 15, 9, 10, 10, with one remaining +1/-1 to do.

Also, please note that you have a lot of water attack spells, which uses Will, and no rune attack spells - so Intellect isn't as important for this PC. You'll be able to get a higher will score with Jotun attributes. If you did this, you'd have 15, 9, 8, 12 with the ability to still do a +1/-1 once. Or I can grant you an enchanted item that lets you use intellect for one tradition (much like I gave to TheForsakenEvil).

Ancestry: I filled in the details of your ancestry talents for you. I also removed weapon training, as you are taking the magic path for this PC, and not the weapon path.

Equipment: I have added the details of the enchanted plate mail armor to your character sheet. You have one enchanted item remaining. Would you like it to be the navigation rod I wrote up, or do you have something else in mind?

I also added 5 healing potions to your inventory.

Paladin: I think several people are using the original core book and not the revised core book. The revised core book has an additional talent added to the paladin. If you don't have the revised version, that's ok! I will be adding in this missing talent to your character sheet.

Spells: I have added your selected spells to your character sheet. You should have a total of 6 spells, you currently have 4 listed. You have 2 spells remaining to select. Would you like one of them to be the Front Nova spell I wrote up for you?

Mimir Image: The link is broken in your character sheet.
Jul 18, 2024 2:24 pm
Shadow - Your sheet looks good. I'd hope so, considering how much we worked on it in the discord server! lol

I did some minor adjustments to your spell selection (added in number of castings). And I slightly adjusted your inventory, increasing the healing potions to 5 and removing the potion of fire resistance - per my comment from last night.
Jul 18, 2024 6:42 pm
I would like the frost nova spell, and rune of ice. I adjusted my attributes. Can still military press Sigrid so its all good to me.
Jul 18, 2024 8:37 pm
Jomsviking says:
I would like the frost nova spell, and rune of ice. I adjusted my attributes. Can still military press Sigrid so its all good to me.
We still need to discuss your second enchanted item, and then I think your sheet will be good to go.
Jul 18, 2024 8:51 pm
I like the navigator's rod. A magical maul that lets me discern north is rad.
Jul 19, 2024 12:31 am
@bookrat

What does a Jotun Whaling Vessel look like?
Jul 19, 2024 1:56 am
I don't even know what a normal whaling vessel looks like.
Jul 19, 2024 4:57 am
The vikings used longships for whaling.
Jul 19, 2024 10:57 pm
I'm a bit slammed today at work and won't be able to work on this much. I ended up not having a free morning like I had planned.

For now, I think I have Shadow and Caranthir as complete and ready. Is anyone else ready that I'm missing?
Jul 20, 2024 12:35 am
Not tonight. My work day has gotten absolutely stupid with things going wrong. I should be done typing everything out tomorrow though.
Jul 20, 2024 12:58 am
Fachtna is ready.
Jul 20, 2024 1:31 am
I am going to aim for starting after the weekend.

If not everyone is ready, that's ok.
Jul 20, 2024 5:12 pm
For the new folks, I'll have posted a page with much of the common rules used in the game.

I will also lay out how some of your attacks will work and what some of your personal options are going to be.
Shadow:

Your standard melee attack will be with your scimitar. You'll roll 1d20+2 (from agility, because it's a finesse weapon). You have the option to apply one boon, due to trickery. You'll do 1d6+1 damage. If your boon/bane total is positive, you'll add 2d6 damage (1d6 from trickery, and 1d6 from dirty tricks). You can also expend a casting of a spell to add additional damage. You can attack anyone within your reach (1 yard), or out to 2 yards by adding a bane to the attack roll (see pg 50).

Since you have a sword and shield, you can attack with two weapons. If you do this with your shield, then you lose your defense bonus until the end of the round. If you attack with both weapons against a single target, then make a single attack roll and add 2 banes to your attack roll, and then add 1d3 damage to your total (the shield damage). If you attack against two separate targets, you make each attack roll separately, adding 3 banes to each attack - but since this is two separate attacks, then you can use both uses of trickery on each attack, dealing your full damage for each attack (1d6+1, +extra damage if your boon total is positive, then 1d3+extra damage if your boon total is positive).

Your standard ranged attack will be with your hand crossbow. You'll roll 1d20+2 (from agility). You have the option to apply one boon, due to trickery. You'll do 1d6 damage. If your boon/bane total is positive, you'll add 2d6 damage (1d6 from trickery, and 1d6 from dirty tricks). You can also expend a casting of a spell to add additional damage. This ranged weapon can fire out to SHORT range (5 yards) without penalty; you can double this distance by adding one bane to your attack roll (see pg 51). Your hand crossbow is a reload weapon, meaning that you need to use an ACTION to reload it before you can fire it again.

You also have several attack options you can add on to these attacks. You typically add a bane to your attack roll in order to add on an additional effect. See here for some attack options.

Your standard use of magic requires a free hand to wield your implement. Please note that you won't be able to cast spells if both your hands are being used to wield weapon & shield; you'll have to drop or sheath your weapon to wield your implement. This does not apply when you are expending a casting to do one of your paladin talents.

If you roll a 20+ (including bonuses and boons) on an attack roll, and the result is 5 higher than the target number, then you get a second turn, used at any time you would like in the round.

You have two uses of trickery per round; this means that twice you can add a boon to any of your attack rolls or challenge rolls. You also have Hunches & Instincts, which allows you to add a boon to any challenge roll.
Caranthir:

Your standard melee attack will be with your maul. You'll roll 1d20+5-1d6 (+5 from strength, with one bane from cumbersome). You'll do 4d6 damage (3d6 from the maul, 1d6 because you're size 2). You can attack anyone within 2 yards of you, and you can make it 3 yards by adding another bane to your attack roll. This is a two-handed weapon, meaning you must use both hands to wield this weapon. You can expend the casting of a spell to add additional damage.

You have several attack options you can add on to this attacks. You typically add a bane to your attack roll in order to add on an additional effect. See here for some attack options.

Your standard use of magic requires a free hand to wield your implement. Please note that you won't be able to cast spells if both your hands are being used to wield your weapon. This means that you cannot be wielding your implement at the same time, and you must figure out some other way to quickly access your implement while you have your weapon out. This is relatively easy to do, just give me a reasonable narrative justification for it, such as having your implement always out and showing while hanging off a leather shoulder belt or something. This does not apply when you are expending a casting to do one of your paladin talents.

All of your magic attack spells use will, which means you will be rolling 1d20+3. Please refer to the spell to see which attribute you're targeting.

If the total of your attack rolls (melee weapon OR damaging attack spells) is 20+ (this includes attribute bonuses and boons), and also exceeds the target score by 5, then you will add 1d6 damage to the attack and they must make a strength challenge roll or fall prone. This will be on top of any other 20+ effects your spells may have (e.g. Ice Shards).
Hugh: I'll do this for you once you have selected all your equipment.

Sigrid and Fachtna - you're both experienced players, so I don't need to do this for you. But if you would like to do it for yourself so our new players can learn, I am sure everyone would appreciate it.
Jul 20, 2024 6:04 pm
Its like D&D but sensible and way more deadly.
Jul 20, 2024 6:27 pm
Yeah!

The author, Rob Schwalb, was one of the 5e authors, as well as the author for Warhammer Fantasy (4e, I think). He said that this game was an amalgamation of those two game, with everything he wanted for 5e but was turned down.

In my experience, it also has really good balance between narrative play and mechanics play, focusing more on Combat as War while still utilizing grid-based combat.

While we're focusing more on the combat side for this particular adventure, there's still a lot of leeway for narration.

For example, there's no skills in this game; instead you use your professions to determine what your good at, making reasonable arguments for how your profession would be applicable. So as a whaler, it's reasonable that you'd know how to handle water craft, how to read the seas, how to tie knots, how to hunt sea animals, how to strip a carcass (especially very large ones), and things like that.

Professions don't add to combat rolls (being a soldier doesn't mean you get attack boons, etc), but can instead be used to expand your narrative capabilities and broaden your character.
Jul 20, 2024 6:47 pm
Regarding spellcasting implement. Would having the mummified human skull on a hook and chain around the waist work?

Also jotun harpoons will deal 2d6 damage?
Jul 20, 2024 7:03 pm
Implement: Yes, that spell casting implement will absolutely work.

Jotun Weapons: Weapons designed for your size will either increase to 1d6, or add 1d6 damage to them. So yes, a Jotun harpoon will be 2d6.

For a harpoon, I've written up stats for them before:

Harpoon. 1d3, One handed, Finesse, impale, thrown, range (short), special.

The harpoon can impale a target. While the creature is grabbed by impalement and the harpoon has a rope attached, you can use a triggered action on your turn to make a pull attack.

Finesse: You can use strength or agility when attacking with this weapon.
Thrown: you can throw this weapon out to 5 yards, or double if you add a bane.
Impale: When taking damage from a weapon with the impale property, the target becomes grabbed. While grabbed this way, attacks made with the impaling weapon automatically succeed. Attempts to escape the grab are made with 1 bane.

Using these rules, a Jotun harpoon would do 1d6 damage instead of 1d3.
Jul 21, 2024 9:40 pm
oh... right... I haven't listed an implement yet... can it be a ring so he can wield weapon and shield at the same time?
Last edited July 21, 2024 11:12 pm
Jul 21, 2024 11:10 pm
Balthazar says:
oh... right... I haven't listed an implement yet... can it be a ring so she can wield weapon and shield at the same time?
Absolutely!

Just know that you still have to sheath your sword to "wield" the ring when casting spells. It doesn't make the most narrative sense, but it's important for martial-caster balance. Also, if it let you bypass that requirement, every munchkin would do it. Lol!

I think it may help to know that sheathing and drawing your sword is a minor action. Same with stowing or equiping your shield. You get 1 minor action on a fast turn, and 2 on a slow turn.

So if you want to sheath, cast, draw, you could. You'd just have to go on slow turn.
Jul 22, 2024 2:16 am
Alright, I think I'm done (outside of the questionnaire). By all means review me and let me know anything I messed up.
Jul 22, 2024 3:25 am
I will be checking it out tomorrow! :)

Questionnaire is a nifty roleplaying tool, but it's not needed for this game if you don't want to use it. I generally only require it for campaigns that start at level 0.
Jul 22, 2024 8:23 pm
Hugh

Your standard melee attack will be with your bastard sword. You'll roll 1d20+3+1d6 (from strength). This attack has net 1 for boons, as you have 1 boon from weapon training, 1 bane from using a cumbersome weapon, and you reduce your banes by 1 for the enchanted property.

You'll do 3d6+1 damage (2d6+1 from the weapon, and 1d6 from combat prowess). You can add +1d6 extra damage on this attack if you want, OR make a second attack against a different opponent within your reach. You have a reach of 1, meaning you can attack anyone one yard of you (or one square on the battle map), or 2 yards if you add a bane. If you roll a 20+ and score higher than 5 against their defense, you add 1d6 damage. You can add additional damage by expending the casting of a spell.

So against a single opponent, you'll do 4d6+1 (+1d6 crit, +1d6 smite). Or against two opponents, you'll do 3d6+1 (+1d6 crit, +1d6 smite) to each.

Your standard ranged attack is with your pistol.You'll roll 1d20+2+1d6 (from agility, with 1 boon from weapon training). You'll do 3d6 damage (2d6 from the pistol and 1d6 from combat prowess). You can add +1d6 damage against a single target from combat expertise, or do a second attack against a different target. CAUTION: You cannot make a second attack with the pistol without reloading it - it requires an action to reload. You can, however, make your second attack with your sword. You'll add another +1d6 damage if the result of your attack is 20+ and beats the target number by 5. Be careful with switching weapons, as you don't have a second hand available when you're equipped with your shield (although you could use your shield as a second weapon; you'll lose your defense bonus until the end of the round, and you'll deal 1d3+1d6 damage).

Your novice path healing talent allows you to heal your healing rate (aka 1/4 your total health); you are the only PC who can do this on a triggered action OR and action. This allows you to both heal and attack in the same round, whereas every other PC requires a full action to heal.

Please note that weapon training and combat prowess grant you that boon and extra damage to *every attack.* So you could attack once, use combat expertise to attack again, then use a triggered action against a foes fleeing your space to attack again (and use combat expertise again for a second attack) - and all of those attacks would have a boon and +1d6 damage. And for each of those, you could add.more damage using your smite talent, extending a casting to add +1d6 damage. And if any is a crit, them that's another +1d6 damave.

Because you have this free boon that applies to all attacks, you can take advantage of your combat options (see here), expanding your capabilities.

On top of all that, you've got a couple of spells you can cast.
Jul 22, 2024 11:18 pm
@dmbrainiac

The ship we came in on sank. But I get the sense a Jotun ship is nigh unsinkable due to their construction methods. Even a whaler would boast immense firepower by most standards. This begs the question of how it ended up sinking.

Also Sigrid and Caranthir are terrifyingly powerful as a team holy moly!
Jul 23, 2024 5:53 am
I'm hoping to get the opening post up in a day or two. We're almost done with all characters, too!
Jul 23, 2024 10:15 am
Jomsviking says:
@dmbrainiac

The ship we came in on sank. But I get the sense a Jotun ship is nigh unsinkable due to their construction methods. Even a whaler would boast immense firepower by most standards. This begs the question of how it ended up sinking.

Also Sigrid and Caranthir are terrifyingly powerful as a team holy moly!
With our powers combined... :D

It must have been one terrifying kraken that sunk the ship! :O
Jul 23, 2024 5:45 pm
Kraken it is. No one will believe us, but thats alright we know what we saw.
Jul 24, 2024 4:01 am
Forsaken only has equipment left to get. Everything else looks good.

I'll be opening up the game tomorrow!
Jul 24, 2024 10:02 am
Bookrat says:

I'll be opening up the game tomorrow!
🥳🥳🥳
Jul 24, 2024 7:12 pm
Character should be done. Are we starting with one interesting thing or multiple based on the starting at a higher level rule? Also, I know equipment is being done pretty loosely, so should we worry about having any starting coin? It'd be awkward to roll into an inn and be asked to pay for a meal with no money to speak of, haha!
Jul 24, 2024 7:59 pm
Don't worry about money. We'll just assume you have what you need.

The only stipulation I have for equipment is that you get 5 healing potions, but no other potions or incantations. This is to help keep the focus on the builds rather than the equipment. I ignored that for the two enchanted items, because you should have two by this level.
Jul 25, 2024 12:52 am
We have Shadow's magic item being a Shifting Tunic... In keeping with her image, see below... could we make it a Shifting Skirt instead?

https://i.imgur.com/V9mTF3G.jpeg
Jul 25, 2024 1:26 am
Wouldn't it just shift to a skirt because she changed image to someone in a skirt?
Jul 25, 2024 1:45 am
uh... ya... I guess it would wouldn't it... lol... nvmnd... these are not the droids you're lookin for...
Jul 25, 2024 1:47 am
I guess my rationalle was that the effect only lasts an hour and I see that image as what she looks like all the time.
Last edited July 25, 2024 1:48 am
Jul 25, 2024 6:02 am
What kind of mounts do Jotuns ride?
Jul 27, 2024 3:54 am
I didn't get a chance to update today. Was busy packing for a vacation. Tomorrow I'm flying out. I'll have Internet the whole trip (even bringing my laptop), but I won't be able to do much until Sunday.

It won't be too much fun. It's a family reunion on my wife's side.
Jul 27, 2024 8:38 am
I'm working a 24 hr shift today so that works for me as I might not have the chance to post either.
Aug 1, 2024 11:11 pm
Sorry gang, my plan was to post today but I just worked 72hrs in 5 days and have only slept 3-4 hours a night and today I am totally wiped.

I am on vacation from tomorrow morning until Monday night and won't likely have time to post until Tuesday night.

Feel free to take control of Shadow until I return so as not to hold things up.
Aug 2, 2024 11:59 am
Thanks for the heads up! See you when you get back. :)
Aug 6, 2024 2:53 am
Traveling back home today. Won't be able to post until tomorrow (likely closer to afternoon, US west coast time).
Aug 6, 2024 9:22 pm
Sorry everyone! We didnt get back home until 1 am last night, and I still have to work today. I will be able to catch up on this game tomorrow. With Shadow being botted for now, you are all waiting on me.
Aug 6, 2024 11:24 pm
I should be back in the fray tomorrow... today was a wash as I lost a 2 hour battle with my printer trying to print documents for court which took me most ofjthe day to draft... hopefully gonna end child support for one of 2 kids as he is now 19... gonna go over and print stuff off at the folks tomorrow and post by the end of the day
Aug 10, 2024 4:19 am
This has been a crazy week. Will update tomorrow.
Aug 14, 2024 11:20 pm
Slammed at work today and two parents meetings tonight. I'll catch up tomorrow.
Aug 29, 2024 7:06 pm
Been really hectic this week. I'm hoping to be able to catch up today.
Sep 3, 2024 6:04 am
Twas the wife's bday this weekend, and also an American holiday. I will be updating tomorrow.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.