[Closed] D&D 5e: Curse of Strahd

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic1 / weekDragonDweller62
Under raging storm clouds, the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich stands silhouetted against the ancient walls of Castle Ravenloft. Rumbling thunder pounds the castle spires. The wind's howling increases as he turns his gaze down toward the village of Barovia.

Far below, yet not beyond his keen eyesight, a party of adventurers has just entered his domain. Strahd's face forms the barest hint of a smile as his dark plan unfolds. He knew they were coming, and he knows why they came—all according to his plan.

A lightning flash rips through the darkness, but Strahd is gone. Only the howling of the wind fills the midnight air.

The master of Castle Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.

https://i.imgur.com/hosPdAL.jpegCurse of Strahd is an nightmarish tale of Gothic horror and dark fantasy for D&D 5e. In it, players are swept into the gray, cursed realm of the tyrannical vampire lord Strahd von Zarovich. All is not well in the valley of Barovia; it is under an ancient curse, one which dooms the players wander its broken, sunless wastes for time immemorial—unless they can defeat Strahd, a being who has survived for four hundred years on suffering and stagnation. To survive, the players must brave vampires, werewolves, and worse before they succumb to the curse of Strahd.

Jul 17, 2024 8:46 pm
Under raging storm clouds, the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich stands silhouetted against the ancient walls of Castle Ravenloft. Rumbling thunder pounds the castle spires. The wind's howling increases as he turns his gaze down toward the village of Barovia.

Far below, yet not beyond his keen eyesight, a party of adventurers has just entered his domain. Strahd's face forms the barest hint of a smile as his dark plan unfolds. He knew they were coming, and he knows why they came—all according to his plan.

A lightning flash rips through the darkness, but Strahd is gone. Only the howling of the wind fills the midnight air.

The master of Castle Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.

https://i.imgur.com/hosPdAL.jpegCurse of Strahd is an nightmarish tale of Gothic horror and dark fantasy for D&D 5e. In it, players are swept into the gray, cursed realm of the tyrannical vampire lord Strahd von Zarovich. All is not well in the valley of Barovia; it is under an ancient curse, one which dooms the players wander its broken, sunless wastes for time immemorial—unless they can defeat Strahd, a being who has survived for four hundred years on suffering and stagnation. To survive, the players must brave vampires, werewolves, and worse before they succumb to the curse of Strahd.

Adult Content or Controversial Themes. Curse of Strahd is a macabre tribute to Gothic horror. A non-comprehensive list of potential triggers (some of which are integral to the plot of this module) includes the following:
[ +- ] Curse of Strahd Triggers
Character Restrictions. All classes, races, and backgrounds are allowed. Curse of Strahd portrays a battle between good and evil, assuming the PCs are on the side of good. Anything otherwise may unravel the intended plot of the module, sometimes into darker territory. Evil PCs are allowed, but only if the other players are okay with what it might mean for the story. You should be playing an evil PC because you appreciate darker and more nuanced storytelling, not because you want to kill and rob the other PCs.

Game Duration and Post Frequency. I plan for this to be a long haul campaign, with the option to continue play after the end of the module. Once a week minimum posting rate. Feel free to post more frequently when you can.

Player Experience Requirements. All experience levels are welcome!

How to Apply. Post below: (1) what excites you most about this module, (2) a character concept you may have, (3) the themes you hope to explore with this character (if you know what's coming, keep this part relatively spoiler-free). Anything else you want to share/brag about is welcome!

Welcome Marginalized Groups. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community myself, I can assure you that this game is explicitly friendly to LGBTQ+ and any other minorities or marginalized groups.

https://i.imgur.com/iM9zxlc.jpeg
Last edited July 25, 2024 6:54 pm
Jul 17, 2024 9:16 pm
You already know I'm ready and willing. Not sure about a character yet, but a darker game certainly appeals. Not "evil PC" levels of dark, because that's something no one wants me to play, but good characters in bad places making tough decisions is sonething I can enjoy. Also, barring something happening... I'm here for the long haul.
Jul 17, 2024 9:19 pm
1) I have never actually played the 5e Curse of Strahd and have been wanting for some time now.

2) My character concept is a Variant Human that was orphaned as child and raised by a nomadic group of Stone Giants on the edges of Barovia. Giant Foundling Background that is a Path of the Giants Barbarian.

3) I want to explore the darker themes of the game by righting wrongs and all that.
Jul 17, 2024 9:36 pm
I have a tiefling sorcerer
Arrcher101 sent a note to DragonDweller62
That I think would be very interesting and fun to play through a dark vs light, good vs evil story with. If that doesn’t apeal or the party needs a different class to fill a hole I also have a rouge and monk that would easily fill the setting too. …. I might have a problem with creating characters for fun.. ;)

Also I’m totally in this for the long haul as well.
Last edited July 17, 2024 10:03 pm
Jul 17, 2024 9:37 pm
(1) Curse of Strahd is an iconic module I have never played. I was really hoping my IRL group would move to it next but sadly the group consensus went with another module.

(2) I am really flexible on what I would want to play but here are a few concepts I have and why:

Forge Cleric looking who wants to build the ultimate weapon: Cleric is not a class I have ever played and having a cleric who wants to improve themselves is something I have wanted to do for awhile.
Sunsoul Monk, seeking enlightenment in the darkness: Similar to the cleric concept, I haven't really played a Monk other than a very short lived prior PbP campaign. I know this is considered a weaker subclass which could actually be fun to play in a more horror themed campaign
Arcane Archer aloof and care free finding himself in a serious setting: Would feel like this is a fun character fish-out-of-water character.

(3) I think the Forge Cleric would be the most driven here, trying to actively do something outside of the quest in front of him. The monk would be far more really trying to accomplish the goals at hand and helping others. The Arcane Archer on the other hand, he would be someone more along for the ride that would get more and more invested in the group and the outcomes as time goes on.

All three of these are classes/subclasses I have never played before but would really excite me to play.
Jul 17, 2024 10:09 pm
How to Apply. Post below: (1) what excites you most about this module, (2) a character concept you may have, (3) the themes you hope to explore with this character (if you know what's coming, keep this part relatively spoiler-free). Anything else you want to share/brag about is welcome!

I have never played this module further than the start really. I'm a rapid posting and good for long term.

(1) I have always wish to explore the Vampire Situation in 5e. I like the air that Curse of Strahd gives.
(2) I have had other characters, but I think this time I would like to explore a barbarian (foreigner) that has been swept up in this mess.
(3) I believe the barbarian's goal would be to free these cursed lands.
Jul 17, 2024 10:35 pm
GeneCortess says:

I have never played this module further than the start really. I'm a rapid posting and good for long term.

(1) I have always wish to explore the Vampire Situation in 5e. I like the air that Curse of Strahd gives.
(2) I have had other characters, but I think this time I would like to explore a barbarian (foreigner) that has been swept up in this mess.
Ooh, I had the same idea for a barbarian.
Jul 17, 2024 10:37 pm
(1) what excites you most about this module:
Not only is this one of the all time classic modules of not only 5e, but of all time! I am excited about the chance to help build a character from a confused and dark beginning, to becoming renewed a powerful character. I have always be interested in discovering how Curse of Strahd is said to twist and turn throughout the adventure, which in turn can twist and turn the characters playing.

(2) Character concepts:
My first and foremost character would be a Monk - Way of Mercy/Rouge, have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to play this character in a dark adventure. He has found himself the lone survivor from a destroyed Monastery. One which has collapsed due to an internal evil (corruption, influencers or such), with his training incomplete and his faith in tatters he begins a journey to not only rediscover himself but possibly his faith.
Due to his predicament and having to survive by himself this character will also take a few classes in Rouge.
I will add, with no shame, that I will play any class type to get a chance to play CoS :). But the above is the character a really want.

(3) This will be an adventure of discovery, surprise and change for my character. Knowing next to nothing about what happens with in the Module itself, I feel that this character could go either way learning more on the healing or more on the harm side of his nature. I have a base to this character and a history of him in my head, his future I feel may develop from his experiences.

As a note: I am very excited at the possibility of a long adventure!
Last edited July 17, 2024 10:39 pm
Jul 17, 2024 10:55 pm
As I posted in the other thread, this is a module I have been dying to play but never got into as it always fills up. I love the gothic horror theme that it is supposed to be. That is all I expect. Gothic horror atmosphere. I don't know any spoilers.

My main character idea is a celestial warlock. Maybe she was a bit of paladin first, depending on starting level. But she was resurrected against her will, and brought from a peaceful afterlife to fight a great evil. This is also the maintheme to explore. What if you get raised from dead while you were at peace?

Alternative is a snobby noble wizardess, who is third born and nothing to inherit. She seeks power with other noble connections. This is a more evil type character.

But if the party needs another class, I am happy to pkay anything that is needed.
Last edited July 17, 2024 11:00 pm
Jul 17, 2024 10:58 pm
Azule86 says:
GeneCortess says:

Woot. Brothers at Arms.
Jul 17, 2024 11:03 pm
Ah, I know it'll be a very busy recruitment thread, but I'd still like to throw my hat in the ring in case I'd fit in the type of game you're creating.

(1) I'm excited about this module since this was one of the first DnD games I tried to join in person. The setting and villain made it easy to start thinking up characters so I thought it would be a fun module to play. Unfortunately, the game never started, but I still would like to play it out one day.

(2) and (3) The character I had originally created was an exiled female dwarf paladin. She still fights for what she believes is right and what got herself banned originally, but secretly hopes that if she can do enough heroic deeds, she may be accepted back home. I thought her power set would be good for the setting and she would have her character tested, to see if she is saving the world because it fits her beliefs or for more selfish reasons. I have character concepts for other roles if it would fit better in a session zero as well: human fighter searching for lost family, dropout gnome wizard searching for more and more arcane knowledge, etc.

I have tried to avoid spoilers so not sure what to expect, but thank you for your consideration and getting us all thinking about these modules!
Jul 17, 2024 11:03 pm
GeneCortess says:
Azule86 says:
GeneCortess says:

Woot. Brothers at Arms.
I was thinking about Path of the Giant, what are you thinking?
Jul 17, 2024 11:17 pm
Azule86. Truely I was really thinking on the tough foreigner in the gothic air thought and not so much on which path. Off hand, short of research, I really don't know the level of the game is.
Jul 17, 2024 11:20 pm
GeneCortess says:
Azule86. Truely I was really thinking on the tough foreigner in the gothic air thought and not so much on which path. Off hand, short of research, I really don't know the level of the game is.
For me it all ties into my characters backstory and makes a lot of sense.
Jul 17, 2024 11:41 pm
Levels 1 - 10.
Jul 18, 2024 5:38 am
Right, level 1-10, at least to start out. I want 4-5 players, which sadly means I can't take everyone. In all fairness, I will try to prioritize the players from the interest check, and I will examine each of your applications extremely carefully.

One good thing coming out of such overwhelming support is that I will most likely run more 5e games in the future. If you didn't get into this one, I'll try to get you in the next!
Jul 18, 2024 4:48 pm
If there’s still room -
Interested in playing a human fighter, ranger or paladin, sworn to protect the Realms from impending undead forces.
Jul 18, 2024 5:28 pm
Smiles. If two barbarians are a bit much a husky foreigner fighter works as well. I was really looking for the combat worthy foreigner look. So, fighter or barbarian works.
Jul 19, 2024 12:07 am
1.) I've played Ravenloft since second edition. The hammer-horror, gothic style lends itself indelibly to written posts in way that makes the most of the dread atmosphere. Creepy spooky stories get all the most delicious words anyway: "lachrymose", "sanguine", "gloam", etc.
2.) I've two concepts for the opportunity; a taciturn and rebellious paladin who loathes to use his supernatural abilities. Hier to a monster hunter family, he is disillusioned with the games strahd plays with human lives and the concept of "heroes". He is missing an arm from the last time strahd toyed with him and his family, resulting in their deaths. A resourceful sort, he has strapped a long delta shield to his elbow stump and should via a leather harness.
Secondly, a sarcastic and pithy harlequin jester in motley and leering mask, embellished with plate greaves and darkened fingers poking out from tarnished gloves. He is a rogue bard, released from the pillory cage he was kept in (the real reason for his imprisonment a mystery known only to him and the DM) by wandering "heroes", he seeks revenge and revelry in equal portion.
3.) the paladin seeks redemption and self-actualization that he is in fact a hero, and that those he travels with are heroes as well, and realization that his monster hunting bloodline did not die for nothing.
The jester is an exploration of balance, dark and light, and being morally grey without being emotionless. They know kings and lords to be fools, and wants to prove this point on Strahd as well. Preferably in his face. With a mallet.
Jul 19, 2024 6:02 am
Quote:
✅ How to Apply. Post below: (1) what excites you most about this module, (2) a character concept you may have, (3) the themes you hope to explore with this character (if you know what's coming, keep this part relatively spoiler-free). Anything else you want to share/brag about is welcome!
(1) Vampires. Vampires are a classic monster race, however; the dangers posed by such fanged villains are not the true horror. No. Why vampires are truly terrifying is the chance to see if given a chance, does a monster resides within yourself?
(2) On a quick look through past lore, I came across a compelling tale of how Count Strahd had once set his affections on a certain human woman. This woman was no unfettered maiden but none other than the lover of his brother. But whether because his noble birth or another reason, the Count did not accept rejection which lead to his brother's death with the woman being cursed with insanity spending the end of her life in an asylum.

I would like to play the (great) grand daughter of that woman and the brother of Count Strahd
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.