RPGS that you want to like but....

load previous
Aug 20, 2024 5:04 am
Harrigan says:
Lots to respond to here. First:
Nezz, would like to hear about what you're liking so much about WWN.
Sure! I like the flat math, for one. My highest skill is rank 2, everything else is 0 or untrained. My highest ability modifier is +1. I love the method for rolling hp where higher rolls replace your hp, not add to it. Even though I had terrible luck and only gained 1 hp per level until I finally rolled really well and got 18 hp at level 6. This keeps fights very deadly but I can at least take 2 or 3 hits. Combats never drag on too long because how low the hp is. I like the retainer system (I'm aware other games have this but I've never played those or the GM never used them so it was my first experience). I love the magic system. You have very limited castings but spells are very powerful, so picking to prepare the right spells and knowing when to use them is very satisfying. (I really dislike systems like 5e and Pathfinder where you have spells like Bless where you get like +1 to one roll or something. Makes magic feel very cheap. Give me 2 or 3 spells but I can fly for hours or do 10d8 to constructs or something lol.) I like cantrips have a separate magic system called Arts. The spell names are very flavorful and fun. I like that attacks are 1d20 but skills are 2d6. That's all I can think of right now.
Last edited August 20, 2024 5:14 am
Aug 20, 2024 11:34 am
Qralloq says:
7th Sea (2e). What a fantastic game, I loved the flow and the acrobatic system that allowed free-form stunts without having to predefine everything in the scene. The players roll, and then the GM can describe only what's needed for them to decide on how to spend their successes. i.e., "You can save the map from the ship's fire, but you'll take a burn: spend two stunt points to avoid that."

However.

Running the game, I ran into cognitive overload. Similar to some of the narrative elements of FFG Star Wars/Genesys, the narrative spends require thinking hard and fast on the fly to resolve each player turn, especially when they roll a ton of points they can spend. While I normally cherish the mental challenge, at the same time, I'm not always prepared to do it - everyone has a muddy-thinking day, and after staring at the players blankly for ten seconds thinking only of 80s cat food commercials, it's embarrassing.
Didn't help that my real life group has 5-6 players, so at any time there were a lot of successes between them. I've heard the system runs a lot better with a lower player count, but I'm not about to disinvite friends so the system runs better.
Aug 22, 2024 4:27 pm
Harrigan says:
Lots to respond to here. First:

Meow Meow Meow Meow
Meow Meow Meow Meow
Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow

Damnit, now I've got that in my head.
Aug 22, 2024 5:30 pm
I think you nailed it for me, too, Nezz. :)

I also love the open sandbox feel, which maybe Harrigan is mistaking for cat litter. ;) Just kidding!
Aug 22, 2024 5:46 pm
ForeverDED says:
I think you nailed it for me, too, Nezz. :)

I also love the open sandbox feel, which maybe Harrigan is mistaking for cat litter. ;) Just kidding!
🤣😁😂
Aug 23, 2024 6:37 am
nezzeraj says:
Sure! I like the flat math, for one...
Nice -- sounds quite cool. I should give the damned thing a read. I just struggle mightily with Crawford's writing style...

BTW, that style of hit point increase is my very favorite in all the OSR. Really good stuff...
Aug 23, 2024 6:38 am
Qralloq says:
Harrigan says:
Meow Meow Meow Meow
Meow Meow Meow Meow
Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow

Damnit, now I've got that in my head.
You're welcome!
Last edited August 23, 2024 6:38 am
Aug 23, 2024 11:22 am
Harrigan says:
nezzeraj says:
Sure! I like the flat math, for one...
Nice -- sounds quite cool. I should give the damned thing a read. I just struggle mightily with Crawford's writing style...

BTW, that style of hit point increase is my very favorite in all the OSR. Really good stuff...
I haven't read the whole things because it's quite massive, but the character creation and rules are only the first 60 pages, 93 pages if you include the magic system too. It was pretty easy to read although it is wordier than it needs to be. I agree about the HP, it's very slick.
Aug 24, 2024 5:26 am
That method dates all the way back to OD&D and people arguing it should be done that way, rather than just adding a new die every level... because the rules were vague. It's also present in a ton of White Box-based games.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.