Hex and Counter Wargamers

Feb 28, 2015 4:20 am
Any hex and counter wargamers on here?
Feb 28, 2015 4:32 am
I don't think I know what those are... do you mean something like Hero Clix?
Feb 28, 2015 3:49 pm
Hex and counter generally means paper/cardboard maps overlaid with a hex grid with cardboard counters representing different military units.

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3161442_lg.jpg
Last edited September 4, 2016 3:04 am
Feb 28, 2015 8:54 pm
That's the first time I've ever seen something quite like that, not gonna lie :)
Feb 28, 2015 10:15 pm
ExperienceLtd says:
That's the first time I've ever seen something quite like that, not gonna lie :)
They're not super popular that's for sure. I mostly play them solo (not a lot of opponents around here). :-)
Mar 1, 2015 3:43 pm
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. Average game length, over five hours easily. War of the Ring (Lord of the Rings game) was is really fun. Roman Imperium is another one set back in the day. Basically, I'm a huge strategy board game nerd.
Last edited March 1, 2015 3:44 pm
Mar 1, 2015 5:30 pm
I'm not much for the strategic level games, although I did like GMTs The Supreme Commander. I much prefer operational (Operational Combat Series is my favorite) or grand tactical (La Bataille and BAR mostly).
Sep 2, 2016 3:00 am
I am new to GP and just saw this thread. I used to play a lot of Squad Leader and regimental level Civil War games, such as Terrible Swift Sword. I loved these games and played them more often than RPGs. Now it is hard to find people willing to work through the rules. I remember creating a game about the Battle of Queenstown Heights during the War of 1812.
Sep 2, 2016 3:54 am
You can check my free games and resources thread here. While it's mostly for RPGs, there are a few wargames in there...
Sep 2, 2016 1:57 pm
What an amazing number of resources. It will take me days to look through it all, but I did find the war games further down in the list. Thanks very much for sharing.
Sep 2, 2016 4:42 pm
Squad Leader was my introduction to world of wargaming, still have it around here someplace. For the regimental ACW stuff I really like The Gamers stuff, both the old Regimental Sub-System (based on the Civil War Brigade Series) and their new Line of Battle games. Never played TSS, but have played the successor, Three Days of Gettysburg, along with the other GMT games in that series.

Don't have any opponents locally, most of my playing the last several years has been through VASSAL.
Sep 3, 2016 2:05 pm
Sadly a flood destroyed all my wargames except for Squad Leader and A Gleam of Bayonets, the old SPI/TSR game. I have been out of it long enough that I not familiar with either The Gamers materials or VASSAL. It would be great to dig into some these "new"games. Like you, I do not have anyone locally who will play but VASSAL looks like a good alternative. I am getting myself a little overextended with rpgs at the moment but will definitely return to the world of wargaming through VASSAL.
Sep 3, 2016 10:50 pm
I never got into the traditional war games. I did like a lot of the chit based stuff that you used to punch out from Dragon Magazine, like the old version of Awful Green Things from Outer Space.

Maybe the closest to traditional was Ogre, unless you count chit based board games like Gammarauders, Elric, and Titan. Oh! And Kings and Things. Loved that one. Those all went the way of the 80s, unfortunately. Burned up fond memories that probably don't need to be revisted... :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.