Round Robin Interest Check

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Oct 12, 2016 8:16 pm
MoMo says:
Maskcot says:
If the whole story was in their heads, like...they were all trapped by a spell, or strapped chair with their brains jacked into a Virtual Reality of some sort...like the Matrix. Still could be a fantasy world inside the computer. Lots of possibilities there, but the Active GM's character is the "architect" of the shared vision. I could go on, but there are a million ways that could play out.
And for the record, I think these are all excellent ideas, and that it'd be really amazing if that came up by a collaborative effort of GM's working in-game through their allotted times to run the game. I'm not trying to dismiss how cool these ideas are. I just think it shouldn't be decided prior.
Well, perhaps not the specific explanation of what connects their minds, but the fact they are in some kind of mental construct should be known to the players. It could be OOC knowledge. I might recommend agreeing that it could not be discovered until an entire round of GM changes. Then perhaps it is randomly determined which GM is allowed to reveal it.
Oct 12, 2016 8:38 pm
Maskcot says:
Well, perhaps not the specific explanation of what connects their minds, but the fact they are in some kind of mental construct should be known to the players. It could be OOC knowledge.
Just a difference of opinion, then :P I feel like it'd be much more shocking and interesting if something like that came up as a surprise, to characters and their players, throughout the course of the game. I always try to limit OOC knowledge that differs so drastically from character knowledge.
Oct 12, 2016 10:16 pm
The player that the GM controlled previous could just become an NPC that works in the background. Or the character could just poof away, since this is just a game. Like Maskcot said, there are million ways to explain it.

I like the 'stuck in computer game' setting, you could even do a 'magic time loop' or a 'scientific device causes parallel universes' setting. I also like the idea of character's consciousnesses being swapped, so the player would get to control a different character with each iteration. That would only work if the players were okay with it, of course.
Oct 12, 2016 10:36 pm
hey! maybe all those things can happen!
Oct 12, 2016 10:41 pm
Body switching is a fun idea. I've never used it but I've thought about it.
Oct 12, 2016 10:45 pm
well, with each GM the explanation could be different. one day you wake up in little town, USA. tomorrow you're going through the same events as a japanese high school student. the next day you're driving around in the nuclear wasteland looking for gasoline. this could be fun
Oct 17, 2016 1:02 am
If you guys are considering DW, there's another PbtA game called Night Witches that is AMAZING (and I don't use all caps lightly) and specifically had rotating GM as part of the game play. It's not a Groundhog Day situation, so it it probably isn't what you want, by its worth checking out.

The game centers around the lives of female Russian bomber pilots in WWII. It rotates between a night cycle where bombing missions (pretty lethal ones, to reflect history, but there's also the a bevy of characters to be cycled in) are carried out; and a day cycle, to deal with the relationships formed in the crucible of an incredibly misogynistic Red Army that literally set these women up for failure. The author, Jason Morningstar, had done several interviews about it, but there's a good episode of a podcast called +1 Forward where he explains the inception of the project and does a little demo playthrough with the host.

Like I said, probably not what you want, but it's so worth looking at just for its own sake as well as seeing how it implements rotating GMs.
Oct 17, 2016 1:51 am
Unless I missed it, I do want to mention: if a system isn't up on GP, you can always use custom, and if I see a custom game of an established system used more than once, I typically add it to the top of my todo list.
Oct 17, 2016 11:55 pm
Warhammer :) *cough cough*
Last edited October 17, 2016 11:55 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.