Chapter One: Greenest in Flames!

load previous
Dec 25, 2016 7:13 am
Bughu unstrings his bows, and his body similarly releases the tension of the evening. In a few moments he is sitting on the floor in the corner of the room, head propped against his sheathed scimitar like a pillow and bowed in sleep.
Dec 26, 2016 9:38 pm
Escobert gives Jon's hand a firm shake, "Well, we can use all the help we can get, so it's much appreciated," he says, "Best get some sleep for now though, I have a feeling tomorrow will be a long day."
Morning dawns bright and early, and you are awoken by a young man as soon as the sun comes out, "Governor Nighthill asked me to come get you, wanted to meet with you this morning," he says, pulling nervously on his earlobe.
Dec 26, 2016 9:58 pm
I clap the boy on the shoulder. Take us to him then lad. And tell me where I can get sommta eat after?
Dec 26, 2016 10:44 pm
Erich stretches as the boy wakes everyone up.

Governor Nighthill wants us? This is either amazing or horrible. Ah well. He thinks fuzzily as he gets up from his bedroll.
Dec 27, 2016 1:05 am
Bughu starts awake, almost panicked in the thought that he had failed his watch. He realizes how much the previous night's battle had taken from him, and slowly gets up from his seated position. He double-checks that he still has his gear, and since he didn't bother removing his armor, stands ready to follow the summons.
Dec 27, 2016 5:59 pm
Jon hops up, cracks his neck, checks his sword, and looks for something to rinse his mouth out with. You had to make good impression with governors and mayors and the like. Their kind liked to imagine that heroes were naturally clean and inoffensive-smelling. "Maybe the Governor will have breakfast waiting for us," he suggests hopefully to Oridun.
Dec 27, 2016 6:01 pm
Bughu definitely fits the picture of stark contrast to Jon's thinking.
Dec 27, 2016 6:22 pm
"Umm, I'm sure that if you ask, the governor could point you in the direction of some food," the young man stammers, obviously uncomfortable speaking to the heroes of the town.
You are led into the keep and into a conference room with a roaring fire in one of the fireplaces. Nighthill and Escobert are speaking at the end of a large oaken table. When Nighthill sees you enter, he waves you over, "Ah, I'm glad you made it so quickly, there's something I need to speak to you about."

"Those raiders last night... It wasn't a normal occurence, obviously, they had a damn dragon for Helm's sake!" he says rapidly, beginning to pace back and forth. "We see that they've left, heading southeast, and we need to find out what their plans are," he says, pausing in his pacing to take a deep breath, "I'd like you to follow after them, maybe see if you can find out what they were really after, how many there are, who their leaders are, and where they're going to strike next. I understand that this is not an easy task, and I'm prepared to offer compensation for your services. Perhaps a payment of 250 gold pieces each?"

"We wouldn't ask unless we needed the help," Escobert says, "I'd rather not ask, but I can see that it's the only real option."
Dec 27, 2016 6:30 pm
Bughu nods, stepping forward to volunteer.
Dec 27, 2016 6:33 pm
I have no reason to turn that down. Hopefully our master fighter here can teach me more about proper operational activity on the way! Erich says with a smile.
Dec 27, 2016 6:55 pm
Jon shakes his head. "Gentlemen, we could not possibly accept payment for doing the needful thing in such dire times as these. However, two hundred and fifty gold pieces should be sufficient to cover the expenses we'll each incur in such an undertaking. We'll get to the bottom of this, I assure you."
Dec 27, 2016 7:20 pm
The little one has the right of it. I won't be taking pay for helping those in need. If we need recompense I'll ask for that. We need to chase these fella's down and find out what they're about. That was a large force to assault one village.

To Escobert Did that dragonblooded tell ya anythin'?
Last edited December 27, 2016 7:21 pm
Dec 27, 2016 7:23 pm
Lads, look at it this way. By paying us, the good governor effectively has hired us as members of the city watch, in a manner of thought. Drawing a salary in defense of a town is an honorable thing. It guarantees, for him, that we work in the interest of Greenest and have less of a threat of switching our flag upon meeting this brigands. Governor, I thank you for your generous offering and will take you up on it. Erich says, with his chin held higher.
Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm
"Well, whether you choose to take it, you have our thanks," Nighthill says, shaking each of your hands in turn, then steps back to allow Escobert to speak.

"The dragon fellow has been less than talkative," Escobert says grudgingly, "I'm afraid that he isn't going to give us much information, but we're going to keep trying."
Dec 29, 2016 5:03 pm
Out of curiosity, have you tried speaking to him in Draconic? If you don't have anyone knowledgeable, I could stand as an interpreter for you. Even if it delays us leaving a few minutes, we may glean information that could save us later, yes? Erich offers.
Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm
To EscobertPerhaps ye should let me have a go at 'im.
Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm
"Well, you're welcome to try, but he speaks common well enough," Escobert says with a shrug.
Dec 29, 2016 5:06 pm
While he may speak it, perhaps he would be more talkative in a different tongue. Erich offers. If you could take me to him and at least let me make a minor attempt. We'll go from there. If it looks at the outset to not be effective, I'll break off immediately.
Dec 29, 2016 5:13 pm
Bughu seems neutral on interrogation attempts, but if required he will accompany Erich. He first asks Governor Nighthill if there is any ammunition to spare for the scouting mission.
Dec 29, 2016 5:15 pm
"We were told breakfast might be offered," Jon says as the meeting wraps up.
load next

Thread locked