Chapter One: Greenest in Flames!

load previous
Jan 18, 2017 3:09 am
As you leave town, you find that the trail of the raiders is pretty easy to follow. In addition to the numerous tracks left behind by the raiders, after a few miles you can see the smoke of a cookfire off in the distance. It doesn't look like it's enough smoke to support the meals of the number of raiders you know left town, but it is off in the same direction and may be related.
Jan 18, 2017 3:32 am
OOC:
What time of day is it? And to hardened campaigners such as Bughu and myself, how far off does the fire appear to be?
Jan 18, 2017 3:40 am
Having left early in the morning, and only being a few miles out, you'd estimate the time to be around 11 in the morning. The smoke from the fire would appear to be between four and six miles away from your current location.
Jan 18, 2017 3:48 am
I signal Bughu to come back to us for a minute. What say you? We leg it over there and try and sneak in?
Jan 18, 2017 7:06 am
Bughu nods. "May be a rear-guard," he says, agreeing to the suggestion. "Might have set up a small camp to watch for anyone following. We'd know more by observing."
Jan 18, 2017 3:20 pm
Let's get closer and the rest of you can sneak up. I'd likely give us away. We'll get close enough where I can come running if you shout. Keep an eye out for sentries as we go.
Last edited January 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm
Erich nods. In as quiet a voice as he can muster, he whispers to the other two. Tell me where to go and what you want me to do. This is much more your baliwick.
Jan 18, 2017 4:53 pm
"Try to stick to cover. It is difficult to tell from this point whether they have the high ground and can see our approach." Bughu tries to set an example, attempting to keep any trees or other natural formations between himself and the location of the camp fire, while still moving in its general direction along the path.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jan 18, 2017 5:12 pm
I move along as carefully as I can, staying well back from the others so I don't draw attention to them.
OOC:
Post roll - Owch, oof... I hate the bloody forest!
Last edited January 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Rolls

Stealth check w/disadvantage - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (8) = 8

1d20 : (4) = 4

Jan 20, 2017 3:38 am
You move along for some time, trying to close ground to the smoke from the fire. As you get close, you see a small outcropping of rock that you could probably climb up to get a better vantage point on the apparent camp. From the distance of the smoke, you'd estimate you are merely 80 yards from the camp. Moving to the rocks would take you within about 60 yards.
Jan 20, 2017 4:50 am
I'd best stay down here lads. I don't want to give us away dragging my mail across that stone.
Jan 20, 2017 6:37 am
Bughu nods, and looks to see if there is any easier path up the outcropping instead of a vertical climb.

Rolls

Athletics? - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jan 24, 2017 2:02 pm
Climbing to the top of the outcropping is not hard, as it's not a straight vertical climb. Bughu reaches the top and can see, about 30 feet below and 180 feet out, a group of eight kobolds and four humans. They don't look like a rear guard; more likely they are stragglers behind the main force.
OOC:
From this distance and height, I wouldn't give you disadvantage on your attacks with your longbow.
Jan 24, 2017 4:14 pm
Bughu observes the activity of these stragglers for a moment to assess their organization; whether they've set a watch, who's in charge, what weapons they may be armed with. Once he has acquired some information, he belly-crawls back down the top of the outcrop and reports his findings to the group.

Rolls

Perception? - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jan 24, 2017 5:03 pm
The group of people below look to be lightly armed, with only a couple of obvious crossbows among them as well as a mix of other basic weapons; spears, clubs, and a couple of short swords.
Jan 24, 2017 5:10 pm
"They don't appear to be ready for anything," says Bughu when he returns to the group. "At least, not what you'd expect from a group looking to stop any pursuers."
Jan 24, 2017 5:21 pm
Not a rear guard then. Stragglers maybe. And no bows. What say Jon and I got talk with them while Erich and Bughu cover us from the rock?
Jan 24, 2017 6:06 pm
"They do have crossbows," warns Bughu. He is willing to provide cover while the others talk.
Jan 24, 2017 6:10 pm
Then if it comes to it, you shoot those ones first.
load next

Thread locked