Battletech: Character Creation

Nov 22, 2016 4:56 pm
Battletech: A Time of War uses a "life module" system for character creation. This system is somewhat complicated in that it tracks individual growth in all skills, attributes, and traits with seperate XP pools for each. Once the system is understood it is actually rather simple.

The actual generation portion of character building is done by selecting what are called life modules. Life modules give you a vague background for a segment of the characters early life and also gives you a number of xp points in various different areas. In order to facilitate easy chargen for this PBP you will be selecting your life modules but I will build the actual character. Like an actor in a movie I will assign you a role to play, but you will have helped shape it. The characters will not be min/maxed or even optimized to expect interesting and realistic characters with many skills and talents in various stages of development. It is very possible your character will have skills between two levels, this is normal as it represents your learning and practice up until that points, they can and will improve in game. Also expect your character to have negative character traits and weaknesses.
Nov 22, 2016 5:53 pm
The first thing each player should decide is what kind of character they want to play. All of the characters are active military members of the Federated Commonwealth, but the exact role you play in the military will be your decision to make. Battletech does not have a rigid class system like D&D but follows a skills based system more common in other RPGs. While you will have a particular rule you wish to play it is very possible your character will have enough skills to fill a secondary role or even have skills falling into completely unrelated categories. Some common military archetypes in Battletech are:

Mechwarrior - The eponymous pilots of Battlemechs
Aerospace Pilots - Second only to Mechwarriors in prestige these pilots fly space planes in both atmospheric and space combat
Tankers - Specializing in driving and crewing traditional war machines such as tanks / trucks / jeeps / etc
Conventional Pilots - Fly standard atmospheric fighters, VTOLs, and helicopters
Combat Technicians - Infantry with the skills to repair friendly vehicles or provide anti-mek support
Battle Armor Infantry - Infantry using specialized power armored suits

A wide range of other roles are available from obvious military roles like scouts, snipers, medics to seemingly non military roles that could easily be tailored into a military role by combining with infantry or officer skills such as politicians, scientists, and investigators.
Nov 22, 2016 6:44 pm
Once you have decided on a concept for the character you will begin choosing life modules. The first module (or stage 0 module) you pick is your affiliation. As this adventure mandates you coming from the Federated Commonwealth you can choose between two modules.

House Steiner: Patterned loosely after feudal Germany with other western European influences. The Lyran Commonwealth (House Steiner's nation before the forming of the Federated Commonwealth) is a heavily industrialized and merchantile realm. Lyrans tend to see warfare as dirty business and typically aspire toward wealth and social standing. The Lyran military is somewhat lackluster but Lyran merchants and politicians are considered ruthlessly efficient.

House Davion: Socially and culturally inspired by feudal England with additional influences from France and other western European societies. The Federated Suns (The nation before the forming of the Federated Commonwealth) are well known for their military might. House Davion is considered to be the most powerful nation in the Inner Sphere but it is surrounded by threats on all sides. As such FedSun space is divided into military sub-states call marches, this "border-culture" and the threat of nearby invasion colors the everyday lives of the people who live in the outer FedSun worlds.
Nov 22, 2016 7:06 pm
Stage 1: Early Childhood - Representing the first ten years of the character's life. You may only choose 1

Backwoods: Raised in remote parts of human space with few amenities this life leaves one hardy but unrefined and poorly educated.

Blue Collar: The common lifestyle of most commercial and industrial worlds, characters from blue collar families have humble beginnings but solid education and some vocational insights.

Born Mercenary Brat: A child born to mercenary parents or adopted by a mercenary company is an army brat of transient nature. The character knows little of culture and nationality beyond military life.

Farm: A child raised on a farm faces a childhood of endless chores. The work is hard but rewarding and farming families are typically highly respected as many worlds cannot grow their own food.

Fugitives: Children of criminal or wanted parents face transient lifestyles. They call no one place home but gain a variety of survival skills.

Nobility: Noble children are blessed with the most privileged of lifestyles. Upper class status, excellent education, and every want and need filled comes at the cost of weakness bred by an easy life.

Slave: Characters born to slavery are either the children of slave or were captured by pirates at a young age. They work tirelessly to work off their debts. The young slaves life is harsh with little reward.

Street: Children raised on the streets live a dangerous life of lawlessness and quickly learn to depend more on cunning and luck and on kindness.

War Orphan: With parents killed in the constant conflict of the galaxy the war orphan endures a mix of pity and scorn from their society. They tend to end up stronger and more self-reliant for the experience.

White Collar: Above the middle class but a far cry from nobility, children of white collar families enjoy a relatively pampered lifestyle and generally grow to realize society expects more of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 2: Late Childhood - Representing life between the ages of 10 and 16. Again you may choose 1

Adolescent Warfare: Whether it be gang life on a criminal world or life on a war torn front line world the teenager who spends her teenage years carrying a gun or a knife rather than school books is destined for life as a warrior.

Back Woods: Isolated from the conveniences of society a back woods teenager lives the survivalist's life. He typically finds interacting with society more difficult than the danger of fringe space.

Farm: The teen who spends her years on a farm learns a host of skills invaluable to the Inner Sphere's most vaunted profession.

High School: The most common, though not universal, form of education for teenagers. High school prepares students for civilian careers, military service, or higher education.

Mercenary Brat: While most teenagers attend high school the mercenary brat is out seeing the universe and learning his family's trade.

Military School: Whether by punishment or tradition the teenager who attends military school comes away with valuable skills, fitness, and discipline.

Prep School: A common alternative to high school among the wealthy, prep school prepare teenagers for the Inner Sphere's most prestigious universities.

Spacer Family: The child of a spacer family spends more time in zero-g aboard jumpships / dropships. They never truly settle on any one planet and tend to be insular toward outsiders, but they are very in their element when in the "black sea".

Street: Life on the street is downright dangerous for teens. Those forced to live this lifestyle quickly learn to survive by identifying gangs, evading authorities, and defending themselves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 3: Higher Education - Represents a variable amount of years from 16 onward. This stage is completely optional and can be skipped; however, it provides valuable skills and traits at the cost of a slightly older starting character. Some character types, such as mechwarriors and aerospace pilots, will need to take higher education. Higher education is split into three different types of schooling (Civilian, Military, & Police/Intelligence). You may repeat the higher education stage at the cost of more years added to the character's age but may only select one school from any given type. EX: You may go to University (Civilian School), and Military Academy (Military School), but cannot go to Military Enlistment (Military) and Military Academy (Also Military). The exception to this is Officer Training School which is an add on to a previous Military Schooling. As all of our characters are active military you must select one military schooling, even if it is just Military Enlistment.

(Civilian Schools)
Technical School - Common schools where characters learn how to maintain infrastructure necessary for modern life

Trade School - Generalized equivelant of Technical School (much like a modern community college)

University - Expensive and having strict entry requirements, universities offer the best in higher education

Solaris Internship - An internship on the game world of Solaris VII, students learn how to manage stables of combatants, sport journalism, or even how to pilot a battlemech for the gladitorial games. (One of the ways to be a mechwarrior)

(Police Schools)
Police Academy - Training to be a law enforcer or peacekeeper on an Inner Sphere world.

Intelligence Operative Training - Intelligence agencies are by nature secretive. Those trained are dedicated to protecting their home realms from threats in which the police are insufficient but the military is too overpowering.

(Military Schools)
Military Enlistment - The most common method of entering the military service. Recruits are trained and ship off for tours of duty. Enlistment is quick but precludes more advanced military services such as mechwarriors and aerospace pilots.

Military Academy - Academies represent the finest in military training. Expensive and often requiring connections to get into this is where mechwarriors and aerospace pilots are born.

Family Training - Wealthy and noble families often have their own in-house training the side steps the requirements of the Academy. Family training is quicker and less expensive way to become a mechwarrior or aerospace pilot but it lacks the rigors of Academy.

Officer Candidate School - Available only to characters who follow police / intelligence / military schooling only. Officer candidate school allows characters to gain the authority, respect, and pay of higher ranking commissioned officers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 4: Real Life - Represents the character's life between the end of their higher education and the start of the game. Multiple real life modules could be taken, but each real life module adds 3-6 years to the characters starting age. You can even repeat the same real life module if you like. It is important to note that at the end of chargen all of the characters will be roughly the same strength despite having differing / differing amount of life experience. Characters tend to balance pretty nicely.

Agitator - Dedicated to challenging authority for noble reasons or personal gain

Civilian Job - Whether an office worker, freight loader, store clerk, or beauracrat you are part of the infrastructure that makes society function

Combat Correspondent - Front line journalism is alive and well in the 31st century. Part soldier, part journalist battlefield journalism is not for the faint of heart.

Covert Operations - Spies, scouts, and covert operatives all rely on stealth and subtrefuge to serve their nation, knowing that if they are caught they will be completely disavowed by the very nation they serve.

Explorer - For the thousand worlds already charted and inhabited thousands more wait to be explored.

Guerrilla Insurgent - Often labled terrorists these armed and dangerous men and women fight for freedom from tyranny or from occupying forces.

Merchant - While most worlds are self sufficient there is always the need for luxury goods or raw materials from off world. Merchants spend most of their time in jumpship travel making their way by transport of goods about the Inner Sphere.

Ne'er do Well - "Aimless" is how most describe the Ne'er do Well. Commited to no one job or place these people acquire a wide variety of skills but seem to master none.

Organized Crime - Most organized crime syndacites rule their unofficial territories through terror and force but they know how to show a benevolent side as well.

Postgraduate Studies - For some academics education does not end with a degree. Further studies and practical hands on experience in a given field are acquired before entering the work force.

Solaris Insider - Essentially the brokers on the bets made at Solaris VII games. Insiders can make a break a champion with their dealings.

Solaris VII Games - Gladiators from all walks of life come to Solaris VII to compete in mech combat for wealth and glory.

Think Tank - Many governments, companies, and organizations employ hand picked collections of geniuses to solve problems.

Tour of Duty - In the war-torn Inner Sphere warriors risk their lives daily for the betterment of their home realms.

To Serve and Protect - Police and security forces are common sights on civilized worlds. These men and women enforce laws and ensure public safety.

Travel - Sometimes a person just needs to get away from it all.
Nov 22, 2016 8:25 pm
Well, I've already made my choices. Waiting to see if there are more life module stages to choose first. Do you want us to PM the choices to you, or post them here?
Nov 22, 2016 8:44 pm
There are 2 more stages but I havent had a chance to post yet. You can pm your choices or post here. If you post here we can all collaborate a bit more but it works either way.
Nov 22, 2016 8:46 pm
Okay! Also, thanks for accepting me. Again, if you get a rush of people wanting to join, I'll bow out in favor of someone with more time. Buuuut... if that isn't the case, I plan on going Steiner, Blue Collar, Military School. I'd like to be a mechwarrior, because... I mean, who doesn't? But I'd be okay with anything, honestly.

The choices might change once the other life modules are up, though.
Last edited November 22, 2016 8:46 pm
Nov 22, 2016 8:50 pm
So far, I'm thinking Mechwarrior OR Aerospace pilot. House Davion, Born Mercenary Brat, Military School, Military Academy & Officer Candidate (If Possible). The classic legacy military kid.
Last edited November 22, 2016 10:29 pm
Nov 22, 2016 10:10 pm
@MoMo - I am glad to have you aboard and your life path thus far looks good. I don't think we will have a long line of players so I am glad to have you on board. Feel free to play a mechwarrior even if everyone else does. Mechwarriors are the main draw here and I will tailor the challenges to whatever you all end up being. Also the life modules you pick will inevitably be different and you will all have your own unique skills that will make you different enough to have secondary roles.

@Dramasailor - Glad to have you on board and as I said to MoMo feel free to play whichever you prefer. Personally I like Aerospace Pilots, in fact my character in my live game is an Aerospace Pilot. You will easily be included in the game as a pilot as you can always provide air support on ground missions or travel on foot with the rest of the group when vehicles aren't being used.

In other news I updated the original thread with Stage 3 and will start working on the final stage shortly.
Nov 22, 2016 10:30 pm
Updated my original concept post to include the next module.

I think I will go Aerospace Pilot. And go for officership/academy path.
Nov 22, 2016 11:05 pm
Final stage added
Nov 22, 2016 11:08 pm
I think I'll go with House Steiner, Blue Collar, Military School, Solaris Internship, Solaris VII Games for a mechwarrior!
Nov 22, 2016 11:39 pm
Hey guys. At work at the moment, but I will take a look at all this tonight? At the moment I am thinking about somebody older, a Grizzled Veteran sort, but that might change once I get through all the material already posted
Nov 22, 2016 11:40 pm
Final Set:
Aerospace Pilot
House Davion
Born Mercenary Brat
Military School
Military Academy
Officer Candidate School
Two Tours of Duty
Nov 23, 2016 12:19 am
@MoMo Looks good, I will start building the character with those ideas. The character has to be active FedCom military but we can easily just say that you were conscripted because of the desperate need for mechwarriors during the invasion.

@mrvain No big deal, obviously work comes first. When you get a chance to read the wall of text I posted feel free to choose your modules. A grizzled old veteran is perfectly fine we would just take a bunch modules to get you there.

@Dramasailor A perfectly logical life path for an aerospace pilot. I will start working on it.
Nov 23, 2016 12:59 am
Seemed like a nice logical path to become your standard issue aerospacer.

For the most part, are we talking flying things like fighter jets or things more akin to capital ships or yes, anywhere in between?
Nov 23, 2016 1:03 am
Capital ships are referred to as warships in battletech. An aerospace pilotnwould be flying a fighter. The fighters are spaceplanes and so can operate in space ans in atmosphere
Nov 23, 2016 1:06 am
Gotcha. So kind of like X-Wings from the Star Wars universe?
Nov 23, 2016 1:25 pm
For me,

Mechwarrior
Davion
Born Mercenary Brat
Mercenary Brat
Military Academy
Tour(s) of Duty

As I mentioned, veteran campaigner. 40 something, type of personality would be Senior NCO rather than officer. Been military his whole life and had a bunch of different jobs.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.