Anyone for D&D Basic: The Keepers?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Interested?

You may select 1 option.

Yes
    Moldvay? How Basic! Nay!
Dec 9, 2016 4:46 pm
My wife brought home orange tea monster, something ruthless and blissful to drink with distilled Polish rye. I got happy and quite nostalgic since my cousins in New Jersey and Miami were whatsapping me photos of the great 70’s and 80’s. Since tis twas the season and I had no idea what I was going to give myself at all, I decided to go to a google group called The Goblin Emporium.

Needless to say I pulled out of there with a copy of Moldvay’s D&D Basic and Expert Rules and a copy of the Rules Cyclopedia. I am so excited and nostalgic, for those basic rules hold a lot of strange memories for me as I passed from eighth grade to my freshman year in high school.

But alas, until my 2 year old son learns to roll dice instead of putting them in his mouth (just for fun I tried it and I confess a d20 feels pretty good) I have to put it on the back burner.

Unless, is there anyone out there interested in playing the very Moldvay Basic? I just went over the concise to the point rules (dang 62 pages!!!) and am pretty psyched. I will say it has been centuries since I DMed this (by centuries I mean mental centuries, which equates to about 25-30 years) so I would rather play but will happily dungeon-master.

Funny thing is, we don't need character sheets on GP, behold how simple they used to be...

http://i.imgur.com/RmJxs4Y.png?1

I like that the image is distorted, reminds me of all that erasing I did.
Last edited December 20, 2016 8:20 pm
Dec 9, 2016 5:20 pm
If you'd be willing to supply me with the rules, I would LOVE to try it out. The furthest back I've gone is 1e AD&D
Dec 9, 2016 6:24 pm
Actually this is after I think, 1980- send me an email.

Or feel free to trawl the internets
Last edited December 9, 2016 6:39 pm
Dec 9, 2016 6:30 pm
You're correct, there is a few years difference. Either way, it's a version of Basic D&D, which I've never tried. I can send you a private message, but there is no email that I can see in your account.
Dec 9, 2016 6:35 pm
That sounds so cool! I still have my Holmes light blue cover basic book which came with a module (In Search of the Unknown?). It's like a time machine every time I open it. I'd be interested.
Dec 9, 2016 6:44 pm
I meant your email I'll send you the pdf.
Dec 9, 2016 6:45 pm
atkinsonnathanj@gmail.com
Dec 9, 2016 7:02 pm
done, its on a third party website but not sure how Keleth would feel about posting the link.
Dec 9, 2016 7:19 pm
I'm still in after perusing it. I find it odd that the classes only hit level 3, but I'm down to give it a shot :)

Let me know when you start a game and I'll join right up!
Dec 9, 2016 7:53 pm
Expert rules take over after that I'll get that when w get to it.
Dec 9, 2016 8:01 pm
Valdus says:
Expert rules take over after that I'll get that when w get to it.
Gotcha :)

Works for me, I'm excited. I've become kind of a fan of old school games lately
Dec 10, 2016 5:08 am
They're too basic!

Lol. Personal taste, of course. However, I really do think the best vintage D&D you can play is AD&D. Basic and Expert just didn't bring enough, imo, and AD&D itself was very straightforward to play.

I can definitely appreciate the nostalgia aspect, though. Put a lot of miles on those books, and really love the art from the Monster Manual, Deities and Demigods, etc. Setting up erasable table maps, being 15 and playing D&D from about 7:00 pm until 4:00 am. And the Dragon Bone dice roller was very nifty... so high tech :)
Dec 10, 2016 11:40 am
Wow this is where I started! Wish I had time, but sadly no. Good luck with it!
Dec 10, 2016 4:28 pm
Ad&d is to crunchy for me right now. But alas it was not too crunchy at the time that it came out. I filled my brain with the stuff for years and years. But no, not now.

Knife got no time, no problem pop in, read, enjoy smile, relish in the tale and move on.

Just random minding here, but I think the synchronous rules in this category are Labyrinth Lord, for those that need to know.
Last edited December 10, 2016 4:31 pm
Dec 10, 2016 4:54 pm
I'd play. Was my intro to the whole genre way back when,
Dec 14, 2016 8:43 pm
I just downloaded the latest Labyrinth Lord, and I must say, down to the tables, it is the same thing as Moldvay. I was just sad to learn that he died in 2007.
Dec 16, 2016 4:25 am
I am just going to ask, any objections to me running the classic Keep on the Borderlands? If not I can find another module, perhaps The Lost City? Had them, never played either.
Dec 16, 2016 4:26 am
I'd love to run a classic :-)
Dec 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Keep would be awesome!!
Dec 16, 2016 5:50 pm
Naat you want to run it?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.