1.5 - The Wyr River: Hunger strikes....

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 14, 2015 12:10 am
This is definately a room to remember. The beds are not only comfy, but they offer healing and give a little bit of a (temporary edge).

As a reminder, this is what you've seen and been able to see from the window panels.

http://www.numenerajournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/map-onba-pha-600x476.png

You have two doors, the one you came through and the one Tara was watching. The hall you came through continues to another door. The window panel is dark and you cannot see into the room.

The other door leads further into the complex. Tara has already examined the door. It is locked and looking through the door panel shows a dark hall. Tara thought she saw something moving beyond the reach of the light.

Food would be a good thing to find soon.
Apr 14, 2015 12:41 am
OOC: Do we know how close we might be to one of those domes?

"I wonder if there's any wildlife in those domes? Kind of looks like woods, doesn't it?" Utazó queries to no one in particular.
Apr 14, 2015 2:36 am
szemely says:
OOC: Do we know how close we might be to one of those domes?

"I wonder if there's any wildlife in those domes? Kind of looks like woods, doesn't it?" Utazó queries to no one in particular.
You would guess maybe 400 yards (365.8 meters)...that would be to the first dome.
Apr 14, 2015 1:30 pm
"My thoughts are we should look for food before heading further into the complex. Besides, I read somewhere that when exploring it is wise to know what's behind you. There's another door in the corridor we just came from. Should we check that first, before unlocking doors?"
Apr 14, 2015 4:13 pm
"This place used to be a city of some sort, or a town. People lived and trained here. They had giant machines which harvested grain and fruit." Vult mentions. "Maybe some of it is still working?"
Apr 14, 2015 9:59 pm
Utazó looks over to Vult, "Agreed. There has to be some sort of food around here someplace. Perhaps we can check that last door as Merlin suggests and then find the quickest route to one of those domes."
Apr 14, 2015 10:22 pm
"Well, I think I've got a cipher for that!" Darazen says to Utazo enigmatically. He reaches into his backpack and produces a small metallic object and places it on the ground. He seems to press something and nine appendages sprout forth... Eight legs, and one eye stalk. "OK, spider... FIND FOOD!"
Apr 14, 2015 10:54 pm
As Darazen places the cypher on the ground Utazó quickly backs away.
Apr 14, 2015 11:02 pm
(Ooc: kudos szemely! Hahaha, that's funny. Now I'm concerned...)
Apr 15, 2015 3:54 am
Yui's stomach rumbles, in your imagination creating an earthquake. "Starving...If that spider knows what it's doing, I'll treat it to an oil bath and won't eat it later." Yui rests her hand on her sword and makes to follow it.
Apr 15, 2015 5:51 am
Tara mutters something barely perceivable except to Utazo who she is standing next to.. "Great. Now we're following a spider. All hail our new tiny master of sustenence.."
Then Tara says questioningly "Why don't we just use the portal to go back to our world, supply up, and re-explore?"
Apr 15, 2015 11:47 am
Darazen pulls out a piece of Numenera and places it on the ground. Its legs unfold and it stands there looking, waiting for a command. "Find Food", Darazen tells it and it starts skittering about. It moves to the walls and the consoles and stops a moment at the door to the east. Locked and dark, it scurries north, to the door you came from. It scratches at the door for a few moments before returning to Darazen. It "looks" up and then returns to the door, scratching again.
Apr 15, 2015 11:55 am
"Well, it looks like this is the way!" Darazen tries to open the door.
Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm
Khoren smiles gleefully at Darazen and follows him to the door, taking a deep breath and holding it as Darazen starts to mess with the door.
Apr 15, 2015 6:38 pm
"That's a neat little thing." Vult comments. Following the spider to the door, Vult looks over the door and the panel.
Apr 15, 2015 10:10 pm
Looking over to Tara, Utazó replies, "If that creepy thing can find me some food I'll follow along... Just not too closely is all."
Apr 16, 2015 3:55 am
Approaching the door, the panel lights up and you punch in the code to unlock it. The door slides open and the spider skitters forward into the hall. (GM note: this hall leads up on the map)

The spider gets to the T, stops and looks left, then turns back right and continues on to the next door. It stops and scratches at the door before turning around to see who (in the party) is following it.

Who is taking point, and who is opening the next door?
Apr 16, 2015 6:26 am
Yui's hunger drives her to none-too gently shove the next door open, almost before the spider reaches it.
Apr 16, 2015 12:35 pm
"Thanks for taking point Yui. Let me quickly check whether it's locked, and if I can unlock it."

(Ooc: a 20! Whoop!)
Last edited April 16, 2015 12:38 pm

Rolls

Intellect - Numenera, trained, book, effort - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Apr 16, 2015 1:11 pm
Khoren moves up to the intersection and looks left, cloak wrapped around his arms and keeping an eye while the others move past.
Apr 16, 2015 2:38 pm
Merlin says:
"Thanks for taking point Yui. Let me quickly check whether it's locked, and if I can unlock it."

(Ooc: a 20! Whoop!)
Darazen: A 20? Take back your effort then.

This door has panels just like the others that light up when you approach the door. Yui, taking point, steps up to the door and it opens.

"Perhaps the spider is too small, or the door does not recognize it.", Darazen says out loud to no one in particular.

As the door opens, the lights snap on and a rush of air pushes an odor out. The air is dry and the odor is stale. The spider scurries in.

The room is 100 x 60 ft with the same white walls. There are tables and benches and chairs, mostly over turned with broken plates and platters scattered about. The room is clean, otherwise.

On the north wall, there are several panels next to smaller (2ftx1ft) doors, each about 4 ft from the floor. All but one of the panels are now lit and blinking.

At either end of the wall are doors. Unlike the doors from the halls into these rooms, but there are no panels. Both doors are closed.

There is a door like the others you have seen on the east wall. Only the left panel is lit and through the window, you see that the hall on the other side is dark.

From the window on the south side, a flash of light can be seen as more rocks are turned to dust in the sky above the town.

The spider has climbed to the middle of the north wall and attached to one of the smaller doors.
Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm
Keen to know what his spider discovered, Darazen opens the highlighted small door.
Apr 17, 2015 2:08 am
Merlin says:
Keen to know what his spider discovered, Darazen opens the highlighted small door.
Picking up the spider from the door, you notice that these doors do slide, but there are no handles or knobs. :)
Apr 17, 2015 2:20 am
Darazen places the palm of his hand on the door and attempts to slide it using friction.

If this doesn't work he looks for a control panel. Seeing the row of panels on the North wall he tries to match the panels with the doors. if there is a correlation he'll activate the panel that opens the food door.
Last edited April 17, 2015 2:25 am

Rolls

Intellect - Numenera, trained, book, effort - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Apr 17, 2015 2:25 am
Utazó watches as Darazen works on opening the door.

"I'll give him two minutes before I just bash the damned thing in."
Apr 17, 2015 2:30 am
I'd Darazen fails to friction slide open the door, Khoren will attempt to force the doors open with the Push esotery.
Apr 17, 2015 2:04 pm
Darazen places his palms on the flat door and pushes in and down. Feeling resistance, he pushes up and feels a little give, but it fails to open and a buzz eminates from the panel to the left of the door he is working on.

Darazen turns to the rest of the party, "Hold on folks, I know you are hungry and I am too, and the spider said there was food here, but I think the panel needs to be used. Don't smash the doors yet, let me see if me or Vult can figure these out."

Opening his book to the entries and notes he took from their work on the port doors, he starts examining the symbols and sections on the lit panel. After a few minutes, Darazen closes his book and presses a few buttons. The display lights up and the symbols change. Darazen pushes a few more buttons until the symbols represent letters and the become more than gibberish.

"Apparently, our language of 'common' or the 'truth' is known as 'English' here. Okay, let me try this".

Darazen pushes a button, then says, "I would like a shepards pie without peas, bangers and mash, English tea with two lumps of sugar and..... A proper scone. Thank you."

The panel goes dark for a moment, then lights up with a few flashing lights. The sound of machinery and other Numenera hum from behind the wall. A small recessed light above the door flickers back and forth and then the panel beeps.

The door slides up and reveals a small cubicle with a tray. On the tray is a plate with a pie, another plate with potatoes and sausages, a cup of hot tea and a baked cake. The aroma of hot food bursts forth and surrounds you all.

Darazen takes the tray out and the door closes. "Well, that answers that. I think the other five units do that same thing. Don't everyone rush this one, give me a minute and I will set up the others. Also, this looks like food and smells like food....but...."

He turns back to the tray. He puts it on a nearby table. Overwhelmed by the smell and his hunger, Darazen picks up the sausage and sniffs it, then takes a nibble. He swallows and then starts to take another bite. He coughs and starts to gag. With his free hand, he grabs his throat and starts to choke.

After a quick moment, he stops and straightens up and smiles, "just kidding...sorry, but this is really good." He tries the tea and finds it good as well.

Darazen takes another bite and walks the the next panel and begins to work.

Once Darazen gets the panels set to the right language, everyone can put in their orders. :) Some things may not be available, like sushi (come on fresh fish?) but you can find alternatives and the panels will give you direction and even a menu to choose from, if you like.
Apr 17, 2015 2:15 pm
As the smell of the food wafts into the area, Khoren will attempt to exactly duplicate Darazen's order, hopefully not mispronouncing the strange words too badly.

Rolls

Intellect check, remembering Darazen's food order - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Apr 17, 2015 2:17 pm
"You're welcome", Darazen says to no-one in particular, as the spider folds up into an inert ball having completed it's task. Casually Darazen places it into his backpack and continues to eat, realizing just how ravenous he was.

Darazen will aid Khoren telepathically while he eats.
Last edited April 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Rolls

Intellect - trained, effort - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Apr 17, 2015 3:50 pm
Once Darazen finishes setting things to understand Truth, Utazó rushes over to the panel and places her order. "Umm, I'd like an Aneen steak and a glass of water please. Oh, and a shot of whiskey as well."

Grabbing her food she takes a spot next to Darazen and digs in. With her mouth full she mumbles to Darazen, "Well done!!", and raises her glass in thanks.
Last edited April 17, 2015 3:50 pm
Apr 17, 2015 4:40 pm
"Cheers to everyone for making it this far! Tuck in."
Apr 17, 2015 7:23 pm
OOC: Rested AND fed? I am too good to you all.

XP award: 2 XP to Merlin for figuring out the food dispensers.
Apr 17, 2015 7:25 pm
Qralloq says:
As the smell of the food wafts into the area, Khoren will attempt to exactly duplicate Darazen's order, hopefully not mispronouncing the strange words too badly.
you got it, a plate filled with British food. Everything is bland, but hearty....tho the tea could be better.
Apr 17, 2015 8:11 pm
Khoren nods appreciately at Darazen, and thanks him through a full mouth of weird food.
Apr 17, 2015 8:16 pm
"That was a good find." Vult says cheerfully. He walks over to a machine and orders some food and water, which dissolves slowly into his gauntlet as he places his hand over the nourishment.

"Hmm. This seems bland. Does anyone want spices?" He asks.
Apr 17, 2015 8:43 pm
grandmaster says:

you got it, a plate filled with British food. Everything is bland, but hearty....tho the tea could be better.
Ooc: oi!
Last edited April 18, 2015 2:08 am
Apr 18, 2015 2:29 pm
szemely says:
Once Darazen finishes setting things to understand Truth, Utazó rushes over to the panel and places her order. "Umm, I'd like an Aneen steak and a glass of water please. Oh, and a shot of whiskey as well."

Grabbing her food she takes a spot next to Darazen and digs in. With her mouth full she mumbles to Darazen, "Well done!!", and raises her glass in thanks.
You are so hungry that you did not notice the steak was different than what you had asked for. Thinking back, the panel beeped a few times, but you were not sure what that meant. And, Aneen steaks tend to take 15-20 minutes to cook and this one was done in under 5.

After several bites, you notice the flavor is different. You look down and see the meat has more "marble" in it. You pause for a moment, reflecting on the taste. It is not a bad taste. As a matter of fact, it is quite good.

You take another bite and the tenderness strikes you now. Aneen is rather tough and chewy, yet this is tender and almost melts as you chew.

You take a sip of the water. It is cold, crisp and refreshing in the clear glass cup. You hold it up to the light. Nothing is floating in it.

"This is good", you think to yourself.
Apr 19, 2015 2:15 am
Tara straightens the room up a bit, putting chairs and tables upright so that they will have a place to eat. Then Tara goes up to a dispenser when one is available and say "Steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, peas, cold water, apple pie".
Apr 20, 2015 11:40 am
Perception checks, everyone
Apr 20, 2015 12:54 pm
Vult looks about...

Rolls

Perception + effort - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Apr 20, 2015 1:07 pm
Khoren, slightly alarmed by the beeping of the machines, is distracted nonetheless by the odors and sensation of the food.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Apr 20, 2015 9:34 pm
Utazó continues chowing down on her meal...

Rolls

Perception Roll - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Apr 20, 2015 11:20 pm
Darazen is observing the choices his companions make for food while silently chomping his own.

Rolls

Perception (with effort if int based) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Apr 21, 2015 4:29 am
Tara takes a bite of steak...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Apr 21, 2015 12:36 pm
Paul needs an extinguisher.
Apr 21, 2015 1:05 pm
Objulen says:
Paul needs an extinguisher.
Must be fixed.
Apr 25, 2015 11:38 pm
Tara continues to eat and drink.. as she is blind to all but the food in front of her. :D
Apr 26, 2015 3:32 am
Ooc: so what happens? I assume Kai isn't active.
Apr 26, 2015 4:58 am
Jim is up north right now.. Dunno when he'll gets back in town.
Apr 27, 2015 2:30 pm
GrantUrDeth says:
Jim is up north right now.. Dunno when he'll gets back in town.
Yes, Sorry... Real Life...work has had me swamped, putting together a kickstarter and then a quick trip to visit family in the Windy (and cold) city. But, I am back now.
Apr 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Perception Check Results: Everyone with the exception of Tara (who is oblivious) and Yui (who did not roll) will see this.

As you are sitting at the tables and enjoying your meals, you see the eastern door shimmer. It appears to open, yet remains closed, and through the door walk in several people, men and women dressed in white uniforms with a yellow or red strip down the right sleeve and side. All seem seem to be talking to each other, though no sound can be heard.

Some make their way to the food dispensers along the way and a few pick up a pitcher of dark liquid and pour it into the cups in their hands. Three others turn and walk to the south door and disappear into the hall.

As the ones that remain move around the room and take their places, a chatting couple move to the place that Utazó is at and a few others move to Darazen's table. One of the people sits down in the same chair as Utazó (who shivers, but does not move). You see both, sitting in the same place and the man is talking to the woman sitting now beside him.

A man and woman sits down next to Darazen and continues their conservation. After a few moments, another approaches and sits down in the seat Darazen is occupying. You see the figure pass right through, into and around him. Darazen takes on a glow about him. As Darazen feels a chill, his mouth opens, maybe to ask a question of someone and a soft, wispy sound comes out.

"The computer model shows the worst of the storm is over. Good thing too, the laser emitters were starting to cook. Too many meteors in that last storm for the defensive guns and shield to handle. I spent the last hour routing and rerouting coolant to the system. I heard reports from the geodomes that they took a direct hit. Have not heard how bad yet, but it could not have been that bad or our crews would have been ordered in to assist. All I can say is that the commander had better take head and get those upgrades in soon. If we have another storm like....

The room takes an eerie glow as the light panels take on a red tint. They seem to be pulsing. Panels near the windows and doors have lit up with the words "Red Alert" flashing on each. The room is quiet, though, only the hum of the machinery. The person sitting in Darazen looks around and the wisp of a voice exclaims "Damn, no rest for the wicked... let's go."

She and her colleagues stand up and run to the door. Again, it shimmers and opens silently and they disappear into the hall. From the other door, the three figures come sprinting through and follow their colleagues. As they leave, the eerie red fades and everything appears to be back to normal.
Apr 27, 2015 5:32 pm
"How far away from earth are we?" Vult asks, amazed by the conversation. "I suppose this is an entirely artificial environment?"

Rolls

Decipher more information from what the holograms? said - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Apr 27, 2015 5:51 pm
Darazen recalls Utazo's concerns about ghostly figures, and is disturbed to witness them first hand. After the mild possession passes he turns to Zo and says, "So you weren't imagining ghosts. There really is a presence here!"

It isn't clear to Darazen what the significance of his experience was. Could it be that a major event took place here and everyone died? Certainly outside the windows the landscape seems shattered, and the clue is that meteors were the culprit. ~I wonder if we too are at risk?~

Still sensing goosebumps following his spectral experience, Darazen moves to a window to examine the landscape and the skies above. He applies his intellect to determine whether there appears to be further threat from the skies.

Rolls

Intellect with effort - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Apr 27, 2015 6:49 pm
Tara cuts off another succulent portion of steak and pops it into her mouth, she seems completely unfazed.
Apr 27, 2015 9:36 pm
A stunned Utazó slowly places her utensils onto her plate, stands up, and backs away from the table. Nodding to Darazen as he recalls what had happened earlier she says, "Just like the others. What in the hell were they talking about?"

Noticing that Tara seems unaffected, "Tara? Did you just not see what happened?"
Apr 27, 2015 11:41 pm
Tara nods while swallowing her food and goes about cutting off another slice of steak "Yep. Utazo got up after you said something or rather about ghosts.." Tara's gaze goes up to Utazo for a second then back to her steak "Looks like you freaked her out..". Tara stabs the next piece of steak with her fork and before putting it into her mouth says "You shouldn't tease her so much.." and places the next bite in her mouth and starts chewing.
Apr 28, 2015 12:16 am
"Remember when that tracking device said the Assassin's Heart was 900,000 kilometers away? I don't even know how that is possible, is the world that big? Have we left Earth, Vult, do we know for sure?" Khoren walks over to the food dispensers and looks for the pitcher of dark fluid. I wonder what they were drinking? He then goes to the door that the apparitions fled through and gazes about.
Apr 28, 2015 1:06 am
OOC: Sorry for the wait everyone, I was thinking I'd wait for the game to speed up and got caught up in other exciting ventures. I'm back!
After digging into a somewhat cliche but hearty meal (my punishment for inactivity), Yui looks up to notice the spooked expressions of the others.
"Uh...did I miss something? I seem to be the last sane woman in an insane world."
Noticing that Tara also seems unaffected, Yui slides over to her quickly, and then proceeds to carefully examine the others.
"Okay, I'll guess something is up here. Maybe we can get an explanation?"
It'd be a bit of a cheat, but maybe if someone can explain adequately Tara and I can understand what happened (i.e. get a summarized version of what we missed with our rolls)
Apr 29, 2015 2:21 pm
Qralloq says:
"Remember when that tracking device said the Assassin's Heart was 900,000 kilometers away? I don't even know how that is possible, is the world that big? Have we left Earth, Vult, do we know for sure?" Khoren walks over to the food dispensers and looks for the pitcher of dark fluid. I wonder what they were drinking? He then goes to the door that the apparitions fled through and gazes about.
"The Numenera can achieve otherwise impossible feats. The previous civilizations, some spanned worlds, galaxies, and dimensions. So leaving earth is possible, but I'd have to make some calculations to be certain."

Vult starts scribbling on scrap paper.

Rolls

Calculate if we're on earth - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Apr 30, 2015 6:40 pm
Qralloq says:
"Remember when that tracking device said the Assassin's Heart was 900,000 kilometers away? I don't even know how that is possible, is the world that big? Have we left Earth, Vult, do we know for sure?"
You see Vult start scratching on a piece of paper, numbers and arcs and lines and triangles and .... you head starts to spin.
Qralloq says:
Khoren walks over to the food dispensers and looks for the pitcher of dark fluid. I wonder what they were drinking?
You find a picture menu on the screen and start scrolling through it. You find two items that look like the dark liquid you saw and ask for a glass of each. The machine beeps and produces both in glasses on a tray. Picking up the first one, it is hot and steaming. It has a fragrant aroma, smelling of something roasted ... but you cannot put your finger on it. The smell is good and you put the cup to your lips and take a sip. It is hot, but what strikes you is it is very bitter. You spit it out asking how anyone can drink stuff like that. You put the cup down and pick up the second. It is cold and has chucks of ice in it. The chunks are all uniform and float freely. Looking closer, the liquid seems to boiling slightly and bubbles rises up, still it cold. "Odd", you think. You lift the glass to your mouth and the bubbling fizz tickles your nose. You take a sip and the cold, the bubbles and the ice cannot hide the fact that this drink is sweet. It reminds you of a drink your mother gave you as a child made from a bean that grew locally. She sweetened it with the juice from another tree and this is like that, only sweeter and bubbly. You take another drink. It is almost too sweet, but better than that bitter concoction. You drink the rest.
Qralloq says:
He then goes to the door that the apparitions fled through and gazes about.
The hall on the other side is dark. As you approach, the panel on the left of the door lights up. The panel on the right remains dark. Peering through the window, you press your hands against the door, cupping them and hoping to shield the light from getting in. The window is cold, but you hold your place, waiting for your eyes to adjust.

As your eyes do adjust, you see a hallway on the right about 20 feet down from the door. You concentrate more there appears to be shadows moving very slowly in the distance, maybe 50-60 feet away. They are barely illuminated by the light bleeding from the window.
Apr 30, 2015 6:49 pm
Objulen says:
"How far away from earth are we?" Vult asks, amazed by the conversation. "I suppose this is an entirely artificial environment?"
After several minutes of scratching and calculations, you are not sure. You could be somewhere else, but the stars groups are pretty much the same. The terrain is different that anything you have ever seen, but it does match what is described as beyond the south wall.

Still, the sky is too different. That device said that whatever it was tracking was 238,900 miles or so away. It is possible. There are Numenera scholars who think the moon is 235k to 240k miles away. That would fit, but no one has ever been there and the moon has this big green stripe. Maybe you are near the stripe, like above or below it or something.

Still, something about it makes sense. It is plausible. You feel you need to study more.
Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm
Merlin says:
Darazen recalls Utazo's concerns about ghostly figures, and is disturbed to witness them first hand. After the mild possession passes he turns to Zo and says, "So you weren't imagining ghosts. There really is a presence here!"

It isn't clear to Darazen what the significance of his experience was. Could it be that a major event took place here and everyone died? Certainly outside the windows the landscape seems shattered, and the clue is that meteors were the culprit. ~I wonder if we too are at risk?~

Still sensing goosebumps following his spectral experience, Darazen moves to a window to examine the landscape and the skies above. He applies his intellect to determine whether there appears to be further threat from the skies.
As you look out the window, a canon on the ridge above lets out a silent beam and shatters that was falling towards one of the domes. Searching the landscape, you notice other such cannons posted around this structure. The rocks are not hard to see, when they get close and the cannons strike each one, sometimes more than once to turn them into dust. As your eyes fall to the northern most dome, move above catches your eye.

A large rock is falling to the ground, coming straight for the dome. You scan the cannons and the two closest seem to be trying to respond. However, they don't seem to have the arc right. That's when you see it, on the northern ridge, the debris of a cannon and its station. It's been smashed and has partially slid down the ridge. You look up and the find the rock again, following it down as it crashes into the northern most dome.

"Yes, we could still be at risk."
Apr 30, 2015 6:58 pm
GrantUrDeth says:
Tara cuts off another succulent portion of steak and pops it into her mouth, she seems completely unfazed.
Juicy, but needs A1
Apr 30, 2015 8:22 pm
"Well.." Tara says while finishing her meal and downing a glass of cool water, "If we are still at risk I suggest we all finish quickly and scavenge this place quickly and return home. What does the device say now about the Heart? Is it close by? Or do we need to port again? I think it's somewhat clear that this is not the launchpoint of the invasion. We haven't seen anyone.." she pauses a moment and says "anyone alive at least. So either there's another portal they are coming through or perhaps the portal can send people to different places and we need to figure out how." Tara then stands up, puts her mask back on, and prepares to head out.
Last edited April 30, 2015 8:23 pm
Apr 30, 2015 9:25 pm
Vult looks up from his paper. "It's probable that we are on the moon, or some other kind of orbital body. Maybe a space station?"
Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm
"We are on a moon? For real? Am I the only one who thinks that's fricking awesome? When I agreed to travel with a caravan I didn't expect to become an astronaut!"

Moving over to Khoren he says, "Shall we keep searching? This seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity!"
Apr 30, 2015 11:40 pm
"This is no moon, its a space kitchen," Khoren says enigmatically. "We should continue on. This place is clearly in disrepair and failing fast." He moves aside for Darazen and Vult to work the doors, and turns back into the room. Gulping back the rest of his brown sugar-swill, he checks his weapons and cyphers, and then makes eye contact with the other three, ensuring that Tara, Utazo and Yui are finished their meals and ready to go.
Apr 30, 2015 11:43 pm
"Failing, yes, fast, I don't know. But we should keep moving." Vult replies, answering as he goes to help Khoren with the door (OOC: assuming the door won't just open.

Rolls

Helping with the door, trained, tools. - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 1, 2015 1:09 am
Objulen says:
"Failing, yes, fast, I don't know. But we should keep moving." Vult replies, answering as he goes to help Khoren with the door (OOC: assuming the door won't just open.
The left panel is lit and functions okay. But, you also know the left panel controls the door side. You step over to the right panel and it is not light and does not react to you as you try pressing it in different locations.

You know you can open the door from the left panel, but it will not control the other functions.
May 1, 2015 1:54 am
"Looks like we shouldn't go that way. If we can't control the atmosphere or gravity it could be problematic."

Darazen selects a door that has left and right buttons lit, access to an unexplored area, and adjusts controls to allow safe passage.

(Ooc: btw, specialized not trained)
Last edited May 3, 2015 11:06 am

Rolls

intellect - buttons, numenera, book, trained - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 2, 2015 10:52 pm
Vult will see if he can repair his panel. "Let me see if I can. Fix this."

Rolls

Intellect, specialized, book/tools, level of effort - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 4, 2015 12:45 am
Objulen says:
Vult will see if he can repair his panel. "Let me see if I can. Fix this."
You are on the right track, but when you pull the panel off to expose everything. There are cards and crystals, but nothing is lit up. One crystal in particular looks burnt and cracked.
May 5, 2015 3:59 am
Attempting to help Vult Darazen examines the burnt crystal then opens up food panels to see if he can finds replacement.

Rolls

Intellect - specialized, book, effort - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 5, 2015 10:54 am
Vult will also check the other machines for a crystal.

Rolls

searching for crystals! - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 5, 2015 10:15 pm
Utazó continues to look on as Vult and Darazen work on the panel. "Anything I can help you two with?"
May 7, 2015 3:23 pm
"Maybe." Vult answers. "How skilled are you with the Numenera?"
May 7, 2015 4:25 pm
"I'm not even sure I can spell Numenera correctly."
May 7, 2015 4:28 pm
"Seems you can pronounce it correctly, after that it's all phonetics."
May 7, 2015 6:12 pm
Overhearing Darazen and Utazó, Khoren will attempt to assist them in repairing the console.

Rolls

Numenera, specialized - (1d20)

(16) = 16

May 7, 2015 7:51 pm
"You might want to leave this to us Utazo. We need a crystal from these machines, and they're delicate."
May 7, 2015 8:51 pm
"Fair enough. If you need something smashed in though, you know where to find me."
May 8, 2015 1:18 pm
"I'll be sure to shout if there's something to smash." Vult responds, a hint of mirth in his voice.
May 8, 2015 5:56 pm
Pulling a couple of crystals from the food dispensers, the size and colors do not match. Tracing the control paths, Khoren finds them leading to a small room in the back. The door opens to the back room without issue. In there are consoles cubes where the circuits lead from each panel into each cube.

Even though all but one of the food panels are lit, all the cubes have power. Khoren picked the one cube that was connected the broken food panel. He opens it up and carefully removes several of the crystals. He comes back out and offers them to Darazen and Vult.

Vult takes one of the crystals and it slides into the holder where the burnt crystal was it it starts to glow. The crystal flickers and one or the others starts to hum and vibrate.

(Vult and Darazen: Intellect and a speed check)
May 8, 2015 7:10 pm
Rolls requested...

Rolls

Intellect - specialized, effort, book - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Speed - (1d20)

(9) = 9

May 8, 2015 7:59 pm
((ooc: Khoren basks in the awesomeness of Darazen's intellect!))
May 8, 2015 8:08 pm
Qralloq says:
((ooc: Khoren basks in the awesomeness of Darazen's intellect!))
Ooc: Darazen basks in the awesomeness of Darazen's intellect. Lol
May 9, 2015 1:44 am
The vibrating crystal starts to hum and Darazan knows he had to get it out quickly. If it shatters, it may detroy the assembly. He reaches in and pulls on the green crystal. He feels a tinge or tingle. He pulls a bit harder and it comes free and the panel powers down.

Darazan looks at the green crystal in hand and it looks like it was damaged too. He sorts through the loose ones Khoren brought back and finds one that looks close in size and color. He puts it into the place where the other was and the whole closes around the slightly smaller crystal. It lights up as does the rest of the panel. There si no smoke, or alarm and it seems to be working okay. Darazen closes the panel and the front lights up with the familar controls.

(XP Award: 2 XP each to Darazen, Volt and Khoren for fixing the broken door).

Darazen looks over to Utazó. "Catch", he tosses the cracked crystal, "You like broken things. Or you like to break things... I forget."
May 9, 2015 1:44 am
With the door panel fixed, you can move on.
May 9, 2015 1:12 pm
"Good job everyone. I think I know a bit about how these doors work now."

With that Darazen draws on his previous door research and uses the panel to adjust atmosphere and gravity either side of the door to assure safe passage. When the door opens he says, "Let's get moving!" Then stands aside to allow beefier types to take the lead.

Rolls

Intellect - open door - effort, specialized, book - (1d20)

(13) = 13

May 9, 2015 2:56 pm
Drawing his cloak around him, one hand on a dagger hilt beneath, Khoren Apraxin makes eye contact with the others. Taking a deep breath as the door opens, he steps beyond and begins exploring the area.
May 9, 2015 5:17 pm
Utazó watches as the thrown crystal soars several feet to her right, well out of her reach. As it crashes into the floor she rolls her eyes, places her hand on the hilt of her sword, and heads out the door behind Khoren. "Nice toss!" she chides as she passes Darazen.
May 18, 2015 10:08 am
Ooc: depends where "here" is. If it is 238,000 miles from where we started then I don't know ;)
May 19, 2015 4:43 pm
As the door opens, the lights snap on and gravity goes to normal, Khoren and Utazó take point. At the end of the 120 ft corridor, a shape falls to the floor in a puff a dust and clatter of debris (perception check, Khoren and Utazó have an "asset" or "advantage" of two levels as they are on point) . A door is closed at the end.

About 70 ft down, a corridor opens to the right and continues 40 ft before ending in a door.
May 19, 2015 5:02 pm
Khoren peers at the end of the corridor, trying to see what fell. He stealthily approaches, signalling Utazo to hang back as he peeks around down the branching corridor opening to the right. Overhead, he imagines that he can feel the rocks crashing down around them, and feels anxious. If he is uncertain what it was that fell, he will ask the others quietly to wait at the intersection while Utazo and he approach, cloak wrapped enigmatically around him.
EDIT: ooc: haha, I guess that he has the cloak pulled to high.
Last edited May 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Rolls

Perception, with 2 levels of asset - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 19, 2015 9:57 pm
"What was that? I'm not seeing ghosts again, am I?"

Rolls

Perception [with assets] - (1d20)

(11) = 11

May 20, 2015 4:59 am
Drawing a throwing dagger, Yui spots Khoren as he approaches the fallen mass.
OOC: Do I roll, or is it only for Khoren and Utazo? But heres a roll just in case.
Last edited May 20, 2015 4:59 am

Rolls

just in case: perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 20, 2015 11:12 pm
Darazen waits for everyone to leave the room before closing the door, somewhat oblivious to what's happening in the corridor.
May 21, 2015 2:25 am
szemely says:
"What was that? I'm not seeing ghosts again, am I?"
Khoren sees a flicker in the corner of his eye. he turns to look and a fleck of something gets in his eye. It stings, burns and causes the eye to tear up suddenly.

Utazó, for a moment, sees a body floating in the air. It hangs there like being suspended from strings and suddenly, the strings are cut and it falls to the floor. As it impacts, there is little sound and a cloud of dust appears around it. As the dust settles, there is nothing left, no body, no clothes, and even the dust seems to be vanishing....leaving only two cyphers.
May 21, 2015 12:25 pm
Darazen patiently says, "Tanya, are you coming through?"
Last edited May 21, 2015 12:26 pm
May 21, 2015 9:25 pm
"What in the hell is going on here? Ghosts... bodies disappearing into thin air.. What have we got ourselves into."

As she approaches the cyphers she cautiously walks past them and stops. Turning back to Khoren she uses her sword to motion towards the devices on the floor and then continues another 10' down the hall before stopping. Taking a knee she continues to scan ahead.

Rolls

Perception (if needed) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 23, 2015 3:30 pm
Utazó looks down at the pile of dust at her feet as the floor starts to absorb it. Closing her eyes, she sees the shapes of two people floating for a moment before they fell.

"They must have been in this corridor for many years, and we disturbed them. May they rest well."

As the dust disappears, there are four cyphers left. Two of one type and two of another.

The first type looks like an emitter of some type and they seem to have some power left in them.

The other two are not like anything that you have seen.

Khoren moves down the right hallway and stops at a closed door.
May 23, 2015 4:32 pm
His watering eye makes him self-conscious and exposed to danger. At the end of the hall, Khoren will gently try the door to see if it is open. If it doesn't, then he'll return to the intersection and quietly inform the others. If the door does open, he will stick his head in, good eye first, for a quick reconnoiter before closing the door quietly.
May 23, 2015 4:39 pm
Assuming Tanya has left the room Darazen eyes Utazo's cyphers with curiosity. "I'll help you identify those if you like?"
Last edited May 23, 2015 5:33 pm
May 23, 2015 4:45 pm
"Help yourself, Darazen. I have no interest in those things."
May 23, 2015 5:59 pm
Darazen examines the two unusual cyphers first.

Rolls

identify Numenera - specialized, book, effort - (1d20)

(15) = 15

identify Numenera - specialized, book, effort - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 25, 2015 12:41 pm
Vult will examine the 'regular' cyphers in the meantime.

Rolls

analyzing one cypher - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 25, 2015 12:42 pm
T

Rolls

analyzing the second cypher - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 29, 2015 7:30 pm
ooc: I sort of sense this game is dying a slow lingering death.... (Back of hand on forehead) "oh woe is me, make it stop! The infamy, the infamy, they've all got it infamy."
Jun 3, 2015 12:00 am
We do have seem to have slowed down in our post frequency.
Jun 3, 2015 12:23 am
Ooc: I'm with Jim now. He promises to get us going again. Hang tight.
Jun 3, 2015 2:18 am
Utazó crosses her arms and stares at the ceiling while lightly tapping with her foot. "How long does it take to identify a couple of cyphers??"
Jun 6, 2015 2:33 am
The cyphers are simple. Two laser emitters which while looking them over, you find they are discharged. The other two Cyphers are harder to decypher and Darazen and Vult agree to move on while they look them over. Sooner, they discover them to be handheld controller and a type of electronic book. Soon, they too are completely discharged and useless (but it gave them some things to add to their books).

Moving on... next thread.

Thread locked