Using audio in RPGs

load previous
May 6, 2015 4:42 pm
I mostly play (1) Fantasy games, for those I just run a video game soundtrack that is thematically appropriate to the session in the background. When I play (3) Horror, however, I put a lot more effort into picking music and background sounds and I actively change it as the scenes shift and have a planned track.
May 7, 2015 2:48 am
So, one thing I've done and loved but haven't mentioned here is, Initiative Sound! I got a heartbeat sound and instead of calling for initiative, I'd just hit play on the heartbeat. My players got really excited every time they heard it and grabbed their dice to roll initiative.
May 7, 2015 11:42 am
Shark_Bone says:
So, one thing I've done and loved but haven't mentioned here is, Initiative Sound! I got a heartbeat sound and instead of calling for initiative, I'd just hit play on the heartbeat. My players got really excited every time they heard it and grabbed their dice to roll initiative.
That sounds like a good idea!
May 7, 2015 1:18 pm
@EldritchFire You READ my mind! Bravo haha. Perhaps that's what @Shark_Bone intended

@Candi so for Fantasy you treat it as basic background audio but with Horror it seems you are far more proactive in ensuring the mood is properly set to keep tension at an all time high. Any particular tracks you like to play?
May 7, 2015 1:58 pm
Great minds, BattleBards? lol. Also, welcome!
May 7, 2015 6:53 pm
@EldritchFire, indeed! ;-)
May 7, 2015 7:58 pm
Sorry, that track means little to me. I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games. I'll surrender my nerd card to the receptionist on my way out.
May 7, 2015 8:15 pm
You'll get a provisional card in exchange. You'll need to play 3 classic RPG video games and complain about the quality of modern ones to get your full membership back.
May 7, 2015 8:22 pm
you can pick better games than the FF series for classic GOOD games. I suggest Legend of Dragoon.
May 7, 2015 8:24 pm
Chrono Trigger. And talking about good music...

I kinda feel like the music from classic 8/16-bit games would go GREAT with RPGs, for nostalgia reasons if nothing else.
May 7, 2015 8:52 pm
And you are right Keleth, for Horror I try very hard to use music to control the mood. I actually tend to use video game music a lot. Amnesia: Dark Descent is a great sound track, for example, that I often use. I have a few other miscellaneous soundtracks on iTunes that I don't know what the game is they are from. My back up is to go to youtube and search "horror game music" and similar things then listen for the mood I'm trying to capture.

One fun thing to do with audio in a horror game you can do if you have a recurring horror. Designate a soundtrack (say this one: Amneisa - Attack Guardian), and on the first few encounters (which, by good horror telling tropes, you don't fully reveal or let them properly identify) play that music. Then, sometime later, during a regular scene, have the horror's music on the soundtrack list and once it starts playing, if you have done it right, the players will suddenly become vigilant. Verify their suspicions by making it another horror encounter (this can make things fun for the GM because you don't necessarily know what the players will be doing when the horror music starts - if you're the kind of GM that likes improv).
May 7, 2015 8:56 pm
I can't stand RPG video games. I like fighting games and strategy games. Not that I play either anymore.
May 7, 2015 8:58 pm
Oh man, RPGs are probably my favorite! Though that's a topic for a different forum on the site :)
May 7, 2015 9:00 pm
Yes. I will leave it at that.

But, hey! Audio in RPGs! It's, like, really awesome, yeah?
May 8, 2015 10:28 am
@Keleth I'm a huge fan of Chrono Trigger. It is my absolute favorite RPG of all time and the soundtrack is more often than not playing in the background when I'm working.

@Candi, seems like you're running a classic Pavlov's experiment there. How many times have you gotten your players to salivate on the fly? ;-)

@Shark_Bone since you like(d) Fighting games, next to Chrono Trigger I also play a TON of Street Fighter music in the background. Super Street Fighter 2/Turbo being my fav. Alpha series is also pretty good. And yes.... audio in RPGs is awesome haha. For sure!

Ah, and if any one likes Video Game-based music by itself or as Background for their RPGs then I'd definitely suggest OCREMIX.ORG. I love the creativity of the composers there remixing all the classics and modern game music
Last edited May 8, 2015 10:28 am
May 8, 2015 3:00 pm
@BattleBards You got me. Classical Conditioning is often a very useful tool as a GM and game designer.
May 8, 2015 3:10 pm
That reminds me of running a superhero mod of Feng Shui once. I played the song Montage from Team America: World Police while narrating a montage in the game. That was the best 4 minutes of my year as a GM!
May 9, 2015 5:18 pm
@Qrallog now that definitely sounds epic....

You do not have permission to post in this thread.