The Strange West

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 14, 2015 4:20 pm
Qralloq says:

From The Translation Codex, by Ryan Chaddock Games
-Pseudoscientific - Adopts Animal Qualities
-Pseudoscientific - Conducts Dangerous Experiments
-Pseudoscientific - Employs Fantastic Gadgets
-Pseudoscientific - Mixes Unstable Concoctions
-Pseudoscientific - Pursues Physical Perfection
-Wild West - Carries a Badge
-Wild West - Draws Faster
-Wild West - Fights Dirty
-Wild West - Knows These Parts
-Wild West - Rides into the Sunset
If anyone is interested in one of these 3rd party foci, let me know and I'll PM the details later on. Additionally, as I may or may not have mentioned elsewhere, Numenera types and foci may also work, just let me know and we'll see if we can make it work.

As an aside, when translating to a new recursion, you have the choice to adopt a new focus, so you're not stuck with something inappropriate later on. So choose a focus that makes sense for your character 'while in the Strange West' rather than everywhere. For example, if you chose "Knows These Parts" but ended up in a fantasy world, you could swap it for "Shepherds the Dead" or something else.
May 14, 2015 7:03 pm
Since I don't have a book for The Strange, I'm curious what category a rifle goes in. I'm sure pistols/handguns/revolvers/etc are small, but the only defining characteristic for a medium weapon is that it can be used with one hand even if it's normally used with two hands. Would a rifle then be heavy if it takes two hands?
May 14, 2015 7:23 pm
I think there should be some houseruling going on for the wild west. I gather weapons do fixed damage so I would categorize by real world damage.

* small (knive, derringer)
* medium (revolver, pistol)
* large (rifle, shotgun)
May 14, 2015 7:51 pm
Actually, in the rules, there are handguns that are light, and handguns that are heavy. Similarly, some rifles could even qualify as light. Just choose what you want. Your characters may not be skilled in medium or heavy weapons, that doesn't mean that you can't use, say, a small airgun-like rifle.
May 14, 2015 11:12 pm
The hardworking administration team of Gamersplane.com has worked triple overtime and installed the various libraries and customized artwork necessary for The Strange to operate as its own system.

The game is now open and has its own forum. The Strange West

Please submit your requests and we can get going. The plan is for gameplay to start Monday, and this weekend we can get characters built, at least in concept if not completely.
May 14, 2015 11:15 pm
Whew, a time crunch! I will try, friend, but honestly I don't know if I can make it by then.
May 14, 2015 11:25 pm
Awesome!
May 15, 2015 1:00 am
I'm not seeing the game listed anywhere but this thread. That link just takes me to the forums page. Am I missing something?
May 15, 2015 1:04 am
It's set as private. If you go to Games, then choose Join a Game, it should appear. Once you've been accepted, you will be able to see the forum.
May 15, 2015 1:56 am
I'm actually working on an invite system as we speak!
May 15, 2015 2:05 am
I made it public.
May 16, 2015 4:09 am
So I'm working on a character now. I'm assuming character options book for The Strange is okay? If not I'll just forgo it, no issues.
May 16, 2015 4:30 am
That its fine with me, except the foci. I listed the available foci in this thread.
May 16, 2015 5:38 am
Got it, foci are off limits. Just good to know my limits.
Jun 30, 2015 3:06 pm
There is a spot open in The Strange West. While the game isn't showing up in "Join a Game" but let me know if you're interested - I know a guy and can get you in.
Jun 30, 2015 3:08 pm
I see it in "Join a Game" maybe Keleth already fixed it?
Jun 30, 2015 3:20 pm
It won't show up in Join a Game if you're already in the game :D
Jun 30, 2015 3:26 pm
Huzzah for Keleth the miracle worker!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.