Where is the MtG love at?

May 11, 2015 1:39 pm
Sad to see this board empty. Where are all my fellow Magic Players?!

I myself am a big fan of kitchen table, multiplayer magic. It's similar to side conversations in tabletop games, it takes you away from the game to have fun with friends but brings you all together through a common medium.

What about all of you? Am I the lone Magic player here?
May 11, 2015 2:30 pm
I don't get to play much anymore, aside from the occasional foray onto the iPad Duels games. Our group uses a proxied cube but we haven't had a chance to get together to play in ages.

I'm sure there are other magic fans on here, though.
May 11, 2015 2:45 pm
I'm a fan of MtG and deck-builder card games in general, though I never liked playing it more than once every other week at the most. Deus and I are RL friends; I enjoyed playing cube games. I can see the appeal to having your own deck though, and I've played in a launch event. Its fun for sure. I just don't like the randomness of a TGC; I prefer the skill required in an LCG.
May 11, 2015 2:49 pm
I guess on the other side of the coin that random quality is what I like the most. It's not like a chess game, where everything's laid out from the start. You have a number of strategies and win conditions in mind when you put a deck together, and the execution is partly how well you and your opponent adapt.
May 12, 2015 1:41 am
I also only play seldomly, but it's a hobby I can't shake.My best friend made a pauper cube and it's suuuper fun.
May 12, 2015 1:44 am
I used to play a ton in the mid 90s. Stared when the original Dark (I think that's what it was called) was first released. Played with my son probably 10 years back and haven't touched it since. Have about 3000 cards sitting in the closet someplace. I do have a friend here local that would like to play sometime, so I may just have to break them out again.
May 12, 2015 2:47 am
Cube's the way to go if you can get a group of 4+ people together to play. Just draft out the cards, go a couple rounds, it's a unique layout of cards every time you play.
May 12, 2015 4:05 am
Anyone play commander? That's what revived my interest in the game about six or seven years ago. It's probably my favorite format :)
May 20, 2015 9:13 pm
I played way too much in high school, college, and the first several years post-college. I sold my collection, then got back in and sold it again a few years ago. I keep two 5-color decks around just for kicks on the rare occasion I get to play. Hearthstone has scratched my TCG itch for free!
May 21, 2015 5:21 pm
I've gotten to the phase where I seldom build new decks, but I keep the ones I have around to play with and tinker. If I do make a new one, it's usually silly or based around some strange interaction.
May 21, 2015 7:19 pm
I have about 10 decks I use when I still occasionally play MTG with my friends. The franchise killed it for me around the Kamigawa block with what they were doing with the sets. I sold all my other cards, and don't buy new ones pretty much ever.
Looking at some of the things they do now, like annihilator, I'm glad I quit collecting when I did.
May 22, 2015 4:17 am
That's an awful example to base an opinion on. They openly said it was a mistake and will not be doing it again (excluding reprint-only sets like modern masters). The last four sets have all been amazing for Magic. Annihilator was 4 years ago.
May 22, 2015 4:14 pm
I stopped playing well before Annihilator came out, I don't follow MTG news or anything to do with it. I also think the Planeswalkers are broken and ridiculous to have in game. Regardless of what example I may use, I still don't like what they've done to the game since.
May 22, 2015 5:48 pm
I played this when I was in like 3rd grade, which was roughly when it first came out. I played it semi-regularly until middle school and maybe once or twice in high school. Either way I fell out of love with MtG by the time I discovered wargaming which is far more strategic and has the hobby aspect as well. Haven't really looked back at CCG's since. Probably still have cards in my attic somewhere but who knows. Most of the new rules some of my friends talk about sound less than fun anyway. I find Warmachine and Hordes to be a great wargame that feels very MtG.
May 23, 2015 5:41 am
Azzorak, you ought to look and see if you still have some of your old cards, if they're not in terrible edition you could have hundreds of dollars sitting up there!
May 31, 2015 12:17 pm
A distinct possibility that I have considered but considering my age at the time I doubt they are in very good shape.
May 31, 2015 1:54 pm
Even in bad condition if you have valuable cards they are worth money. Also, this isn't the place to discuss it, but if you had some that were valuable and in bad condition I would consider buying them from you.
May 31, 2015 2:42 pm
If I come across them, I will PM you with what I have.
Apr 11, 2016 9:05 am
I just spent my whole weekend playing Mini-masters with the new Shadows over Innistrad set. This was by far the most fun I've ever had cracking packs! If anyone else gets a bunch of packs I think this is the most fun way to learn all your cards and get surprised by your rares.
Jul 6, 2019 1:51 pm
I love MTGA if that counts. Play every day.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.