OOC Discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 13, 2015 9:40 am
Hello everyone :) I'm playing as a male gnome fighter named Jeremiah Asherton. The following is subject for approval:

His One Unique Thing is fairly simple: He's the Trollslayer of Ashenvale. Basically the local hero of a gnome village, and because gnomes normally aren't into fighting (I think), the fact that he led a guerilla war against this troll named Urgaden and his band of goblins (and won!) for me makes him fairly unique among his peers. Since then, he's been going places, from Axis (where he's been all but banned from the First Pawn because of his nasty habit of starting bar brawls) to Forge (where he spent years learning how to work the smithy from Shivoln Thunderbellows, Fifth of the Twelve Grand Blacksmiths of Forge). His finest work so far is his schiavona, which is a basket-hilted broadsword that's perfectly balanced for his size.

(How he became an apprentice to Shivoln is another story to tell... a story that usually results in a bar brawl when overheard by others.)

He has this habit of gathering trophies from his victories in combat. He once slew a dire rat and turned its head into a skull cap, and after spending days harassing a giant beetle to death (literally), he fashioned himself a crude armor out of its carapace; he later on improved on it during his training under Shivoln, allowing him to use it as if it were plate armor. And as for his most prized victory (Urgaden), he used his facial skin to craft a leather shield that he proudly wields in battle.

Since he's been going about on a vendetta against trollkin especially, I felt it was natural for him to have one point negative relationship with the Orc Lord. Because of his association with (and training under) Shivoln, I thought it best to give him two points conflicted relationship with the Dwarf King.

I've gotten just about everything tied down I think :)
Last edited May 13, 2015 8:07 pm
May 13, 2015 12:57 pm
Sounds great!
May 14, 2015 3:33 am
After reading through the recently released 13th Age adventure, I decided to run it instead of what I had previously planned. As we haven't actually started gameplay yet, it shouldn't make that much of an impact, but if you want to make any changes to your characters as a result of this, please do.
May 14, 2015 3:43 am
I don't see an issue as long as there isn't anything we need to know specifically... like a class or race has changed for this adventure, or we are fighting all fire-proof monsters or something big.
May 14, 2015 3:49 am
Yeah I don't see any issues either, unless there are major changes like foolsmask said :-)
May 14, 2015 3:50 am
foolsmask says:
I don't see an issue as long as there isn't anything we need to know specifically... like a class or race has changed for this adventure, or we are fighting all fire-proof monsters or something big.
I thought through that before making the decision, and I couldn't think of anything that would have an impact on the characters that had been submitted thus far. The only major difference is that there will be more water involved, but that shouldn't help/hinder any race/class in particular.
May 14, 2015 3:32 pm
Hi all! Sorry for the delay! It's been a crazy week at work!

So this morning I already had my tiefling chaos mage statted out but I didn't have a Unique & backgrounds yet. When the idea for the Unique hit me I had to go back and redo the whole character!

So, presenting for approval:

http://application.denofgeek.com/pics/film/list/fying.films/07.jpg

Blackstar, Human Chaos Mage

One Unique Thing: Hero from another world.

Major Tom Sagar is a human astronaut whose craft, the Blackstar, got pulled into a wormhole that transported him to the 13th Age of the Dragon Empire. He regained consciousness among the wreckage of his ship, in the bowels of a Hellhole. He never tells the tale of how he fought his way out of the Hellhole, but his time there, as well as his subsequent solo trek through the Moonwreck badlands, did weird things to him. The tentacles that sprouted out of his back were only the beginning.

His travels brought him to Forge where he did his best to keep his growing weirdness hidden. He had some dealings with the dwarves there, but sadly none of them were able to help him make his ray gun work again (he had used up all its charges fighting his way out of Hell Marsh).

He continues his wandering but little by little, as the chaos magic overtakes him, he remembers less and less about his home world, and his desire to return to his former life diminishes by the day.

Blackstar is a gaunt, 6-ft tall human, though he looks somewhat different from other humans normally encountered in the Empire. His eyes seem to change color with his emotions (often not even matching each other), and his shock of singed hair seem to be a slightly different shade & length each day. On most days, the tentacles sprouting out of his back are hardly noticeable. He wears his worn-out space suit like outlandish padded armor. Strapped to his hip, opposite the useless ray gun, are a jagged titanium dagger and scorched titanium throwing knives that he fashioned out of his ship's wreckage. Hidden in his sleeve is another piece of titanium, scorched and twisted, that he has fashioned into a wand.

Full character sheet here.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/aa/b5/a0/aab5a060dd0a8da6c07b871650a3f829.jpg
Last edited June 1, 2015 7:21 am
May 14, 2015 3:58 pm
So here's the thing about Chaos Mage: At initiative and after each of my turns in combat I have to make a whole mess of die rolls to randomly determine what I'm doing next round: (roll d6 for Spell Type, roll d12 to determine which Icon if spell type result is Iconic, roll d6 for to determine Warp Effect, and the list goes on and on depending on which Talents & Feats I choose as we progress). That's before I get to attack & damage rolls and any High Weirdness effects. The d6 instead of the Bag of Stones for determining Spell Type is particularly clunky but I don't think there's any way around that.

I am going to end up spamming the thread with die rolls. EVERY. SINGLE. ROUND. It will probably get a little annoying.

I've got a few ideas for streamlining this process but I'm very open to any suggestions so my stuff doesn't prevent the action from flowing smoothly. :-)
May 15, 2015 2:18 am
I think I have Nyíl ready to roll. Her One Unique Thing is that she is a recipient of two donated elf fingers that were magically attached to her hand after an injury removed hers.
May 15, 2015 2:49 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
So here's the thing about Chaos Mage: At initiative and after each of my turns in combat I have to make a whole mess of die rolls to randomly determine what I'm doing next round: (roll d6 for Spell Type, roll d12 to determine which Icon if spell type result is Iconic, roll d6 for to determine Warp Effect, and the list goes on and on depending on which Talents & Feats I choose as we progress). That's before I get to attack & damage rolls and any High Weirdness effects. The d6 instead of the Bag of Stones for determining Spell Type is particularly clunky but I don't think there's any way around that.

I am going to end up spamming the thread with die rolls. EVERY. SINGLE. ROUND. It will probably get a little annoying.

I've got a few ideas for streamlining this process but I'm very open to any suggestions so my stuff doesn't prevent the action from flowing smoothly. :-)
Doesn't everyone roll dice every round? :) Anyway, I wonder what the GM's plan is when it comes to replies, rolls, thoughts, and actions.

Maybe rolls could be red, and thoughts could be blue, while in-character monologue/dialogue could be green?
Last edited May 15, 2015 3:11 am
May 15, 2015 4:40 am
silversapphire2 says:
Doesn't everyone roll dice every round? :) Anyway, I wonder what the GM's plan is when it comes to replies, rolls, thoughts, and actions.

Maybe rolls could be red, and thoughts could be blue, while in-character monologue/dialogue could be green?
[OOC: You're quite right, everyone does make a few rolls each round. Just seems to me chaos mage's rolls are that much more fiddly and could potentially spam the thread :-D]

I don't know about colors. IMHO it might just add to the confusion. I'd be ok with formatting OOC posts like I did above. Narration in normal text, and speech in quotes. GP puts rolls in a separate section in the post anyway. :-)

Blackstar gasps as he struggles to contain the maelstrom of chaos magic until the necromancer turns its back to him. His tentacles writhing, his face a deathly mask, he thinks desperately to himself, "I...must...HOLD ON!"

At last he roars, "OUT OF MY WAY!" as he shoves aside Jeremiah who had been defending Blackstar from the necromancer's skeletal minions. Blackstar releases a bolt of crackling energy...

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8521/8534096412_ee769004e2_m.jpg
Last edited May 15, 2015 4:41 am
May 15, 2015 5:45 am
[OOC: It's a format idea I got from an L5R play by post I joined, though I'm also familiar with the flow you mentioned :) I've yet to try the dice rolling bit, since it hasn't been enabled here. ]

"You could've just asked me to duck," said the sore-bummed Jeremiah, as he stood up. While flourishing his schiavona, he slammed his shield against the nearest skeleton, knocking its head off and placed him in a favorable defensive position. He shouted at Blackstar, "Remind me why I'm stuck with you of all people, with these things. Else you owe me a pint of dwarven ale when we get back."
Last edited May 15, 2015 7:05 am
May 15, 2015 6:36 am
That's the format I'm most familiar with but yeah I'll go with whatever format the group decides :-)

...the bolt of black lightning slams into the necromancer. It keeps coming but its movements are slow, dreamlike, as are those of the skeleton minions surrounding Blackstar & Jeremiah.

"Admit it, you enjoy the insanity!" Blackstar grins, and winks at Jeremiah with the eye that has quite unexpectedly sprouted in his left palm.

http://www.sffaudio.com/images13/HaveSpacesuitWillTravelIllustrationByEdEmshwiller565.jpg
May 15, 2015 12:48 pm
Having an OOC section to your post works for me, and I'm used to doing that as well. When you make your post in GP, you specify whether you want to make your post as you or as your character, but it's easier IMO to just have a section where you step out of character instead of making two posts. But whatever floats your boat. As far as using the different colors for text, speech, etc, again, use whatever you'd like to use.

The Chaos Mage does have some extra rolls every round, and if you roll a d6 instead of drawing a token from a bag for your spell casting, you may end up rolling a hundred times before an allowable number drops. And it might take even longer the next round. It might be better to use something like https://www.random.org/lists/. You'll know in advance the entire order of your spell types, but it would save on the potentially massive amount of rolling (i'm betting you're going to hate that d6 after the first combat encounter) ;) If you'd rather keep it a surprise, I can run the list and give you the next spell type after your posts....

I think we're about ready to get started. I need to take another look at everyone's sheets to set my bearings, but I'm hoping to have the opening post up this weekend. If you have any other questions, let me know!
May 15, 2015 3:41 pm
Awesome! Yeah that randomizer will definitely help! I would prefer to be surprised by the results but are you sure you want to take on that task, on top of everything you're already keeping track of? :-)

Looking forward to game start this weekend! :-)
May 15, 2015 3:56 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
....are you sure you want to take on that task, on top of everything you're already keeping track of?
I don't think it will be that much extra work, so I'm willing to go that route. I'll probably just add an OOC note at the end of my posts with what your next token is. If for some reason it's adding too much to my load, we'll talk. ;)
May 15, 2015 4:07 pm
Ok cool! :-) So you'll handle the Spell Type tokens. And the subsequent Attack Warp Effect roll or Icon roll (whichever is applicable)?
May 15, 2015 4:16 pm
That's up to you. I can make those rolls for you and just give you the final results of what you can do that round, but you can do it if you'd rather. I know some people have strong opinions about GMs rolling on behalf of players, and I don't want to step on your toes...
May 15, 2015 5:16 pm
I wouldn't mind letting you roll but I'd like to see the rolls. Not because I don't trust you, but because I want to feel the chaos haha! What would you suggest? :-)
May 15, 2015 6:41 pm
I created another thread that has the dice roller enabled (turns out you cannot enable it after the thread has been created), so if you want to see what the process looks like, spam up that thread. ;) A quick note - you will need to click the 'Advanced' at the bottom or 'Reply' at the top to gain access to the dice roller.

I found out that you are not able to see the results of your roll until after you post. With that in mind, it might work better for me to roll for your Effects. Doing it that way gives you the ability to immediately know what your options are for the next round instead of posting your rolls then posting again with what you want to do.

Also, when we post our attack rolls, we'll also need to include a damage roll (which would only be applied if it was a successful hit). The alternative would be to have two posts per person per round of combat - one to hit and the other for damage.

I'll be looking to see if I can find a more elegant solution, but with the way the site is built, I think that's going to be our best option at this point.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.