Character Creation Details

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 14, 2015 11:23 pm
The following is not an official document endorsed by Monte Cook Games, but a brief synopsis of the writer's understanding of the material. The Strange or The Strange Player's Guide by Monte Cook Games should be reviewed for the complete details.
In The Strange, a characters main attributes by three terms, called Descriptor, Type and Focus. These are expressed as the phrase: I am a D T who F’s. For example, you might be Lucky Spinner who Solves Mysteries.

Characters will start at Tier 1.

Choose your Descriptor, Type and Focus. Note that only specific Foci will be available during character creation as decided by your game master, but don’t worry, you’ll have opportunities to try other Foci.

1. Choose one Descriptor: Appealing, Brash, Clever, Fast, Graceful, Intelligent, Lucky, Sharp-Eyed, Skeptical, Stealthy, Strange, Strong, Tough. Other descriptors from Numenera may be available on a case by case basis

2. Choose one Type: Vector, Paradox, or Spinner

3. Choose one Focus (the following are available for The Strange West):

From the core rulebook: Adapts to Any Environment, Entertains, Is Licensed to Carry, Leads, Looks for Trouble, Operates Undercover, Solves Mysteries, Translates, Wields Two Weapons at Once

From The Translation Codex, by Ryan Chaddock Games): Carries a Badge, Draws Faster, Fights Dirty, Knows These Parts, Rides into the Sunset, Adopts Animal Qualities, Conducts Dangerous Experiments, Employs Fantastic Gadgets, Mixes Unstable Concoctions, Pursues Physical Perfection

4. Fill in your stat pools, as determined by Type

5. Fill in your Edge stats, as determined by Type

6. Additional Stats and Abilities, as determined by Type

7. Write in additional stats and abilities as determined by your Descriptor and Focus

8. Choose your possessions as determined by your Focus

9. List your attacks

10. Add your starting cyphers (none for The Strange West)

11. Add a brief background to the Notes
May 15, 2015 1:37 am
Avatar test. Haven't filled out the character sheet yet, most likely get to that tomorrow.
May 15, 2015 5:29 pm
All right, one more thing before I finish up my character. I need to pick one PC that I have fought with in the past for my focus so that we can do some kick ass back to back fighting:
Quote:
Pick one other PC. You have trained with this character so much that if the two of you stand back to back in a fight, you both gain a +1 bonus to Speed defense tasks.
Volunteers?
May 15, 2015 6:01 pm
If be glad to do that with you . Do you want to be one of my connections?
Quote:
Your quick reflexes saved one of the other PCs from a precarious situation, and they invited you along to say thank you.
What do you say, szemely?
May 15, 2015 6:08 pm
Also, chocokiko, I'm thinking about picking you for my connection of
Quote:
Pick another PC. You're not sure how or from where, but this character has a line on guns and ammunition and can get them for you for half price.
does that work for you?
May 15, 2015 6:41 pm
unique_exemplar says:
If be glad to do that with you . Do you want to be one of my connections?
Quote:
Your quick reflexes saved one of the other PCs from a precarious situation, and they invited you along to say thank you.
What do you say, szemely?
Sounds great!
May 16, 2015 2:09 am
Avatar test. Character has been submitted. Come on, Monday!
May 16, 2015 3:34 am
I'm uncertain what type of character I want to make, what is everyone else making? I might consider making a religious character, classic Western Gospel Man, you know?

EDIT: Testing avatar as well. Also, if we want something different for a descriptor, would you prefer a PM or to post it here. I'm not reaching out into third party, I just have the Character Options book as well as the Player's Guide.
Last edited May 16, 2015 8:00 am
May 16, 2015 9:45 am
Oh yeah. That would be good to post. Sorry Morrowlife. My character, AJ, is a Graceful Vector who Is Licensed to Carry. A young sharpshooter who became a hired gun in order to provide for his sister after their parents were killed by bandits.
May 16, 2015 11:13 am
unique_exemplar says:
Oh yeah. That would be good to post. Sorry Morrowlife. My character, AJ, is a Graceful Vector who Is Licensed to Carry. A young sharpshooter who became a hired gun in order to provide for his sister after their parents were killed by bandits.
I dig it! This is the kind of information I was hoping to get from everyone, because it helps to integrate my own character into others backstories (via connections and whatnot).
May 16, 2015 11:26 am
I have another connection to make:
Quote:
Your quick reflexes saved Diego Rey from a precarious situation, and they invited you along to say thank you.
any takers?
May 16, 2015 2:05 pm
I certainly don't mind Descriptors from the other books, but as I don't have all of the books, you'll need to send me the details of what you've chosen.
May 16, 2015 3:43 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Quote:
Pick another PC. You're not sure how or from where, but this character has a line on guns and ammunition and can get them for you for half price.
does that work for you?
Works for me... I don't have any idea about connections. I have never played the strange. Maybe you could help me on mine?
May 16, 2015 3:46 pm

This is Col. Mortimer. He is traight from the movie :-)
May 16, 2015 3:48 pm
Also I have no books at all and need to be lead by the hand the first few weeks.
May 16, 2015 5:52 pm
chocokiko says:
Also I have no books at all and need to be lead by the hand the first few weeks.
That's totally what I expected, that at least one person would have little experience with Numenera, The Strange or the Cypher System in general. So my plan is to introduce and explain mechanics as they come up. Also, because it is our first time playing together, we might want to tweak some characteristics later on, so let's not worry too much about initial character builds being carved in stone.

Once we start, I'm going to set the forums as private, and post a mechanics summary for you all, which we can add on and discuss as needed.
May 16, 2015 6:55 pm
chocokiko says:
unique_exemplar says:
Quote:
does that work for you?
Works for me... I don't have any idea about connections. I have never played the strange. Maybe you could help me on mine?
Sure. It's pretty simple. I think it's you're type that will give you Connections for you to add some background and such to say, "hey I know this person from before." Should be a list to choose from. Do you have the book? Qralloq gave me mine since I don't have The Strange book. Although I am familiar with Numenera.
May 16, 2015 6:57 pm
Nop I don't ahve any books
May 16, 2015 7:01 pm
Hmmm, ok. Is Qralloq helping you make your character? He should have all that info.
May 16, 2015 8:07 pm
Diego is a Fast Spinner who Wields Two Weapons at Once.

He was a battalion leader for the Mexican army during the Mexican-American war (assuming that'll work with the story, if not I can come up with something else). While he makes a living performing less than honorable jobs, he has gained an almost legendary status for his flair and the extreme measures he'll go to to ensure none of his victims are seriously hurt. Hell, some folks almost consider it honor to have been held up or robbed by Senor Rey, but they've probably been out in the sun too long.
Last edited May 19, 2015 2:40 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.