West Marches Style: Bringing Us Together

Jul 12, 2017 7:05 pm
Hey Everybody!
{EDIT: if you're on this page, please leave a note to let me know you've seen it so I don't keep bugging you about it, and maybe subscribe to the thread? I want all the input I can get!}
So I recently watched this video by Matt Colville about West Marches style games and he talked about the fact that a West Marches style game can have TONS of players in it (like up to 50) and even multiple DMs. So this started me thinking--what if we started a West Marches game in which anyone on the entire GP website who wanted to play could, and depending on how many players we had, we could have a bunch of DMs who would take certain adventures as parties formed and decided to try something.
Now I think there are several benefits to something like this:
First, it's not a whole lot of work for the DMs. I tried DMing once and it was hard! A lot of prep and very time consuming. But as Matt explains, a West Marches style game is played in a very impromptu way on the DM's part, where the players are the ones having to force the game along and the DM just has to react as the players advance. A West Marches game is especially easy over a forums-based game because the DM has not only all the time between the player's choosing what to do and them doing it, but also all the time between them posting.
Second, a West Marches style game, especially one this large, would have a very hard time "dying out". Now I love GP, but one of my greatest pet peeves about it is that games come and go like dandelions. A new game starts up and everyone's fired up to do it, but then after about a week of feverish posting the game starts to slow down and finally it gets so slow that it's nearly non-existent as the adventurers slog through what feels less and less interesting material and their great dreams for their characters begin to look less and less attainable. Or, the DM has a conflict and has to stop DMing. Sound familiar? Well, a West Marches game would be much harder for this to happen to. On the player's part, it's organic and constantly changing, so the players never get bored of the storyline or their comrades because both are new every adventure. On the DMs' part, they don't have nearly as much pressure on them to come up with great new content every single time, because they aren't constantly DMing because there are 9 other DMs helping them out. And if someone's life starts coming down around their ears and they have to bow out? No problem! We'll miss them, but the other DMs are more then capable of holding it all together until that person comes back, or maybe even one of the players can ascend to the status of DM and run a couple adventures until IRL stops killing the poor guy who had to leave.
Third, because of the nature of West Marches games, the DM often doesn't have the world mapped out already. Instead, he drops the players in a town with absolutely no adventuring opportunity in it and says "go out, young adventurelings". As the adventurers spread out into the world, the DM decides what they find and where, even randomly, but the adventurers have to keep track of this stuff themselves. The DM isn't going to hand them a perfect map. Because of all this, it means that the players are, in a way, forcing the creation of the world as they go along, a concept that I think is really cool. Again--less work for the DMs.
Fourth, it'd be a great community builder. Have you ever wished that you could get together a bunch of specific GPers and play a game with them? Go out on an epic adventure? If you're like me, you love playing with a lot of GPers. How do you play them all in the same game without bogging down the poor DM who has to bear the load? Well, in a massive West Marches game you can have a ton of people so if you want to play with everyone you can. And as to getting all your friends in, the parties wouldn't be determined by who the DM lets into the limited slots the game has; instead parties would be determined when Example101's character decides he wants to try to explore the cave Example105's character talked about nearly getting herself killed in. When Example101 decides this, he goes out and finds E102 and E103's characters and says "Hey, wanna go explore this cave with me?" So you'd get to play with all your old pals. But you'd also meet new people because if E101 is playing a wizard, E102 a sorcerer, and E103 a bard, they need some muscle. So they go over to E104's barbarian, who they've never played with before, and ask him to join. Voala, community building. (Or have you ever joined a game that was running much too fast [or much too slow] for your taste and had to bow out? Well in a West Marches game, parties are formed around preference, level equality and also who posts as much as you do. So that problem would probably go away as well, at least to a large degree)
Fifth, the DMs could join the game as well. Because of the structure of a West Marches game, no one really knows everything that's out there. So the DMs could each have a character as well. Obviously their characters couldn't go on adventures they were DMing, but if we had multiple DMs then DM101's character could go on the adventure with E101-104 because DM102 is running it. So have you ever wished you could play in your own game, as a DM? I have. In West Marches, you can.
Finally, it'd just be frikin' awesome. A game with 50 people in it?! Say, 10 DMs? That'd be so amazing, GP might even get some publicity out of it.
Now if everyone is like "uh, this kid is crazy", then fine. I get that, this does sound a little crazy. But I think it could be really cool if we worked it out. Thoughts? Comments? Critiques?
Last edited July 13, 2017 2:11 am
Jul 12, 2017 7:07 pm
End Note: I was kind of assuming we'd do D&D 5e for this since it's the a) D&D, which is probably best for a game like this b) the newest edition of D&D and so hopefully the best and c) most universally mastered by players on GP, at least according to the number of people who want to play it.
Last edited July 12, 2017 7:26 pm
Jul 12, 2017 7:45 pm
Love it. I have some of that feeling in mardav's Kingmaker campaign now, but this would be even more of a sandbox. +1
Jul 12, 2017 7:47 pm
azira says:
Love it. I have some of that feeling in mardav's Kingmaker campaign now, but this would be even more of a sandbox. +1
I'm in mardav's Kingmaker campaign too and I love it, so that's part of where I got this idea from.
Jul 12, 2017 8:02 pm
*nods* The only part that would get rough is the overall mapping of the area if they are all in the same world. For example, if you have two groups that are both pushing into a hex on a map to discover things, making sure that DM 1 doesn't go "Well, looks like you've found a massive desert!" and DM 2 says "Ah, but it is also a giant sea with a sunken kingdom!".

That would really be the only "rough" administrative part to it. You'd almost need one person overarching for the game to be "the" cartographer to make sure that it all jives.

Love the idea, though.
Jul 12, 2017 8:04 pm
The other problem with having multiple parties is that things happen at different times. Group one may be on day 17, while group two is on day 4. Even though they may start their quest at the same time, things become complex with timing.
Jul 12, 2017 8:37 pm
It can be done.

I'd love to join.
Jul 12, 2017 8:41 pm
I'd love to join. I think timing and mapping could potentially be handled with a few admin-focused threads or maybe outside tools if there's something that fits the task perfectly.

What's the possibility of bein both a DM and a PC (in different regions, of course)?
Jul 12, 2017 8:45 pm
So to steal one of those tired business tropes my management team likes to throw around, what is the "Yes, If" here? (Pardon the rambling thoughts)

Having a central cartographer is pretty easy to manage I would think.

As for timestream management in an asynchronus world.... what could be done to effectively track that? Obviously, you could have the adventure start at a specific date and time (even an arbitrary one: Month 1, Day 1). Then each character tracks their character's time stream just like they would hit points or spell slots or whatever. Perhaps the central cartographer is more of a "chronicler" rather than a DM. They would need to be able to keep track of the overall world time and overall map. Characters could "easily" do downtime activities between adventures to "catch up" the time streams. IT would still need some effort:

Group A and B set out on 1.1. Group A encounters a ton of roaming creatures and clean up a mine. This takes them four days in game. They return to camp on day 1.5. Group B doesn't encounter much, but spends several days mapping out some territory and helping to build a fort. This takes them 12 days. They return to camp on day 1.13.

However, Group A does this over a period of 7 Real World days. Group B does there task in 3 real world days. If they wanted to interact with Group A to discuss moving to the new fort, in game they would show up while Group A was practicing blacksmithing and be like "Hey guys, we made a new fort! Wanna check it out!?". However, in reality, they would be sitting in camp for 4 days waiting for that group to re-appear to "mesh up" the time streams.

If Group B is fine with the real life downtime, it's a null point. They park and wait until the others show up and voila. How would it be handled if they wanted something they could do while they wait out the real world time for things to catch up in the long term?
Jul 12, 2017 8:58 pm
Adam Kobel and Steven Lumpkin discussed some of the pain points Steven had when running his West Marches campaign in a series of youtube videos. Quite in-depth and great discussion between them two. Several things that has mentioned so far in this thread has been discussed by them in addition to other concerns. I highly recommend everyone (especially so if you are considering being a GM in this thing) watch several of these videos.
West Marches Hack Attack
Last edited July 12, 2017 9:12 pm
Jul 12, 2017 9:28 pm
This would be a great thing to be a part of, I'm intrested
Jul 12, 2017 9:33 pm
Dramasailor says:
[...]
As for timestream management in an asynchronus world.... what could be done to effectively track that? [...]
Unless there are overarching story elements that are fixed in time, I'd just handwave it. I'm not sure the complexity of keeping track of time would be worth it. Just assume time passes in a fixed rate in the quest hub, and people jump in and out of the quest hub stream whenever they aren't out adventuring.

I'm guessing the hub will be mostly used for staging new forays and exchanging banter anyways. Who cares if group A used two weeks on their crawl and group B only spent half a week, if they're all ready for re-grouping they should be available for it. (If you need an explanation, just say group B spent one and a half week in the tavern or waiting for supplies before group A came in)
Last edited July 12, 2017 9:34 pm
Jul 13, 2017 1:52 am
As Drama and Naat have pointed out, there are still some things to work out. But I think that with some planning and coordination, we could work it out easily enough. As Azira and Drama said, inserting downtime, or even going out on little forays to fill the time, would make it easy enough to overcome these obstacles so long as we were willing to flex time and space a little bit.
[ +- ] The Tabletop and The Library
That entire spoiler is pretty much a response to Drama's first comment:
Quote:
The only part that would get rough is the overall mapping of the area if they are all in the same world. For example, if you have two groups that are both pushing into a hex on a map to discover things, making sure that DM 1 doesn't go "Well, looks like you've found a massive desert!" and DM 2 says "Ah, but it is also a giant sea with a sunken kingdom!".
The idea of a Tabletop and a Library would also just be pretty much necessities for everyone. As we are exploring this place we need to have a map of what's actually there and a record of what happens or there will be inconsistencies and such EVERYWHERE.
Jul 13, 2017 2:15 am
Tookie_Clothespin says:
What's the possibility of bein both a DM and a PC (in different regions, of course)?
I think that it could definitely be possible. Of course, if you're a DM who has access to the central cartographer and you are on an adventure which involves a bad mapping job, then you have to keep your metaknowledge out of it. But if you're comfortable with and capable of doing that, I don't see any problem, as I said in my fifth point in my initial post.
Jul 13, 2017 2:17 am
Dramasailor says:
That would really be the only "rough" administrative part to it. You'd almost need one person overarching for the game to be "the" cartographer to make sure that it all jives.
Would you necessarily need a central cartographer/chronicler, or would a sort of DM's toolbox (see my rambling spoiler about Tabletop and Library be all we need? A cartographer would be a pretty big job and if he had to quit for some reason we'd be up a creek without a paddle, but if we just had a communal "DM's Guild" going on in which everyone helped out and kept each other straight, for one person to leave wouldn't be the end of the world.
Jul 13, 2017 2:19 am
Interested, but this seems complicated to organize...
Jul 13, 2017 2:22 am
Dramasailor says:
If Group B is fine with the real life downtime, it's a null point. They park and wait until the others show up and voila. How would it be handled if they wanted something they could do while they wait out the real world time for things to catch up in the long term?
I think one thing Group B could do is just go out on another little escapade for a few real life days--the sort of thing that takes a few real-life days but is only a day or so in-game--and then when they get back it just means that Group A had to wait another day in-game, which is by no means the end of the world and is much more manageable than waiting IRL.
Overall, I think azira's comment about us being flexible with it is a good one:
[ +- ] Azira Quoting/Commenting on Dramasailor
Though I think just completely waving time would not be the best idea, especially as real time goes on and our characters begin to do more than just explore and world-changing events might occur in which time is important, I think we can have it be flexible enough that its not a problem. Besides, we all have lives to live in the real world, so having to wait a day or two real time for Group A to get done with their thing IRL which actually took longer in game isn't the end of the world. We'll all be in other games, and you can use the time to do a write-up of what happened on your adventure or do character concept stuff--if you're that devoted.
Last edited July 13, 2017 2:27 am
Jul 13, 2017 2:30 am
Moofsalot says:
Interested, but this seems complicated to organize...
True, but I think it could definitely be worth it. Besides, this kind of administrative stuff is fun to me personally, as my insane amount of posting on here demonstrates.
Jul 13, 2017 3:49 am
The organization mostly lands on the GMs' backs. Players just form groups and head out whenever they get a chance.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.