Pre-Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 30, 2015 2:59 pm
I would like to keep the feygate a big secret from the town. I'm OK with the Executor and maybe the Justicars knowing, but there is an agreement that they never tell anyone. The fear is that the regular people won't believe the threat of the formorian and will try to go to the Feywild to escape or find a treasures. I am fine with party members knowing as well, but the standing order is to tell no one else. Guarding the gate isn't fun, but it isn't a lot of work either. He just has to make sure no one from the Material Plane goes through it, and with the gateway being in his locked basement, he doesn't have to do much. So his main motivation is understanding the Starfall and its corrupting influence.
May 30, 2015 3:43 pm
harlandski says:
Could you say a little more about this @ShadowFire? Or can I?
Go ahead. Take the story riens. I was using those races as an example. You could be the only drow family.
May 30, 2015 3:56 pm
foolsmask says:
and will try to go to the Feywild.
So the gate leads to both the feywild and the feydark?
May 31, 2015 2:25 pm
Well, not exactly, the Feydark is beneath the Feywild, like the Underdark is under the regular world. So the gateway connects the Feydark to the regular world, but you could get to the Feywild as well.
May 31, 2015 3:46 pm
foolsmask says:
I would like to keep the feygate a big secret from the town. I'm OK with the Executor and maybe the Justicars knowing, but there is an agreement that they never tell anyone. The fear is that the regular people won't believe the threat of the formorian and will try to go to the Feywild to escape or find a treasures. I am fine with party members knowing as well, but the standing order is to tell no one else. Guarding the gate isn't fun, but it isn't a lot of work either. He just has to make sure no one from the Material Plane goes through it, and with the gateway being in his locked basement, he doesn't have to do much. So his main motivation is understanding the Starfall and its corrupting influence.
Ooooh! Government conspiracy! I like it! *rubbing hands together* :-D So the Ironwrought top brass knows, but not the lower officers and definitely not the rank & file. Equitas knows (probably because they were the ones who caught wind of it in the first place). I wonder, do the other members of the Ruling Council (besides Yazleon Asterion) know but are keeping it from the populace, or are they also in the dark? No matter which of the above are the facts, what version of the facts has my character been told and what does he believe?
Last edited June 1, 2015 3:57 pm
Jun 1, 2015 3:37 pm
ShadowFire says:
Go ahead. Take the story riens. I was using those races as an example. You could be the only drow family.
OK, well this is how I see it in broad terms.

The Kilth family are one of five sets of Drow in the city. There are two other families like the Kilths, who are fairly unremarkable and also practice mundane professions in the city. They are from the same Underdark realm as the Kilths, and were also in town for some respectable reason at the time of the Starfall. The Kilths suspect that they may have also been involved in subterfuge, but their oath of secrecy prevents them from finding out if this were the case. There is one other Drow from the same Underdark realm, a high level fighter who acts as personal guard captain to a wealthy family in the town. She is feared and respected throughout the city, though the rest of the Drow think it beneath the dignity of a Drow to act as a servant, even one with such personal power.

The fifth and final Drow family is more of a mystery. What is certain is that they were not from the same Underdark realm as everyone else. The Kilths and the others did not even think there was another Underdark realm before they met the Khaluils. However, the Khaluil family have proved themselves the cement of the Drow community in Dragon Pool: From the beginning they sought out the other Drow, invited them to covert ceremonies in honour of Lolth and encouraged the Drow to stick together for mutual benefit. What's more, the elder of the Khaluil family, Shulvallzira Khaluil has made her way onto the City Council, and so represents Drow interests there. All the other Drow are extremely suspicious of the Khaluils, but as they have made themselves so useful, not to mention influential in the city, no-one has challenged the status quo. To make matters worse, the Khaluils have had a prodigious number of children, including a preternaturally intelligent pair of twin girls of one age with Uhlskah, and this one family threatens to outnumber the rest of the Drow community put together.

There was also a sixth group of Drow - adventurers who left the city at the time of the Starfall - but they never returned to Dragon Pool and are presumed dead.

(Hopefully some tasty hooks there :-)
Last edited June 1, 2015 3:38 pm
Jun 1, 2015 4:02 pm
harlandski says:
(Hopefully some tasty hooks there :-)
Nice, harlandski! This whole setup is super tasty! Can't wait to start adventuring! :-D
Jun 2, 2015 4:59 pm
I've started the story in the subforum so you're probably not subscribed.
This is an open world / sandbox game so theoretically you can do anything, but you guys probably know that from other rpg.
Jun 2, 2015 5:19 pm
Ahh, the game is afoot! Added a post.
Jun 5, 2015 3:57 pm
Just a heads up: I will be away for a couple of days and unable to post. Thanks!
Jun 5, 2015 4:35 pm
I have a related question: This game is "2 posts per week", right? I'm new to pbp gaming - do we agree on certain days, or how does that work?
Jun 5, 2015 5:17 pm
I'm new to it as well. I wouldn't say 2 posts is a hard rule but an approximate and some rounds of action you can do in one post but some require responses from the GM and other players so their would be several shorter posts.
I would say it isn't certain days because some people are busy and have more time on different days. This isn't live so we have the luxury or being able to play without having our schedules match up.
Jun 6, 2015 1:03 am
I've always thought of the "posts per week" as a general number of times you try to check in on the game. If you subscribe to the forum you get notices via email and that gives you an idea of the activity level. If you have a couple notices, check the game when you get a chance. If the story needs your input just try to get to it, but don't worry about it...do it when you can. Personally, if you post an OOC that you are really busy, I'm cool. At least we know you weren't abducted by aliens. I've had two games die on this site already because users just vanished.
Jun 8, 2015 7:34 am
Well I'm back :-) Added another post.

Yeah I think the posts per week thing is just a guide for how much activity the GM would like to see but in the end the great thing about play by post is no preasure :-) On the other hand I would hate to see a game die (I'm fairly new as well so I haven't seen it happen yet). That can happen if a participant loses interest or just isn't putting in the commitment. It would be super frustrating to those who did contribute their time and creativity.
Jun 9, 2015 6:49 am
Oops, talking of my black laquered lute as I did in the game thread, I realize I haven't done anything about starting equipment. To the rulebook!
Jun 15, 2015 4:52 pm
(From someone not abducted by aliens)
I'm back. Just had several full days in a row.
Jun 15, 2015 9:02 pm
ShadowFire says:
(From someone not abducted by aliens)
I'm back. Just had several full days in a row.
Kubi Asterion was just about to go searching for you :-D Good to have you back!
Jun 19, 2015 4:33 pm
I will be away for a couple of days and unable to post. Thanks!
Jun 21, 2015 4:59 pm
Hi! I'm back from my trip and anxious to get back to the adventure :-)
Jun 28, 2015 8:43 am
I've had some time to get my head round 4e backgrounds. No big surprises: wealthy urban entertainer. I'd like to take a +2 in History to represent the boring drow and elven history lessons my family pushed on me, plus a more genuine less studious interest in the history of Dragon Pool based on hearsay. How does that sound?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.