Chapter Three: On the Road

Jul 27, 2017 1:22 am
You leave Greenest to the cheers of the folk, who wish you well on your journey but are sad to see you leave. The journey passes swiftly and you make good time, covering near to 200 miles in six days. From many miles out, you can see the lights shining from the city, which overlooks the River Chionthar.

As you approach the gates near to evening on the sixth day, you find that they are open, but with guards posted all about to ensure the safety of the people. As you near, the guards call out to you, "Hail, travelers! What brings you to our fair city?"
Jul 28, 2017 11:05 pm
Bughu stops his horse. "We have traveled from Greenrest, come on invitation from a friend. His name is Leosin, and he asked that we meet him here at Elturel."
Jul 29, 2017 1:51 am
The guard scratches his head, "Huh, never heard o' Leosin, but you're more than welcome to head on in," he says waving you on through.
Jul 29, 2017 3:06 am
Bughu nods, half-expecting the lack of recognition, and dismounts to lead his horse into the city. As he passes by the guard, he asks, "Where is the monastery here?" before adding, "and, where can we find stables for our horses?"
Jul 29, 2017 12:15 pm
Erich copies Bughu's motions, opting to stay quiet as they moved into the city. As they do so, he looks about, just generally getting a look and feel for the area.
Jul 31, 2017 12:45 am
"Monastery? There's no monastery here," the guards says, "But as far as stables go, you should be able to find a bunch of inns that can manage that for ya."
Quote:
If you can't find me there, seek out Ontharr Frume, a paladin of Torm there
As you mention Frume, the guard perks up, "Well, why didn't you ask earlier? He's usually at an inn called 'A Pair of Black Antlers," he says and gives you directions.

As you wander through Elturel, you can't help but notice how much different it is that Greenest. It's huge and lively, with not a worry about cultists, dragons, or danger of any kind. You make it to the inn that you were directed to, and, upon requesting Frume, are led to a back room of the inn.

After a few minutes of waiting outside, you are let in and you see Leosin standing beside a huge man with a bald head and bushy orange beard, who Bughu recognizes as Ontharr Frume. Frume smiles as he notices you enter and waves you over, "Ah, it's been too long, my friend!" he says happily, shaking Bughu's hand vigorously, "It seems that I was right, sending you to check out Greenest, eh? Sounds to me like you did some good there."

Leosin nods in agreement and smiles, "I'm very glad that you could make it so quickly. I, myself, just arrived a day ago."
Jul 31, 2017 4:50 pm
Bughu smiles. "It is good to see you again," he says. "I wish we could have done more for Greenrest, but they are safe for the time being. Leosin has already told you of dragon activity?"
Jul 31, 2017 7:21 pm
"Aye, that he has," Frume nods grimly, "But we can talk about that later. Today, we should take a well-deserved rest, boost morale, and then we can talk about dark times."
Jul 31, 2017 7:25 pm
Assuming that Leosin did not identify the others in the group, Bughu introduces them to Frume, vouching for their capabilities.
Aug 1, 2017 8:00 am
Mryio gives a nod when he is introduced, reciprocating any hand shakes offered to him, but otherwise stays relatively quiet.
Aug 4, 2017 1:05 am
Over the course of the day, you find that Frume is a very good host and shows you quite a good time. Several of his men challenge you to wrestling matches, games of chance, knife-throwing contests, and other friendly games. As dusk draws nearer, you are approached by on of Leosin's associates and each given a sack containing 150 pieces of gold.

Once night is fully upon you, Frume’s squire shows you to a private space off the tavern’s common room and closes the door when
he leaves. Waiting for you in the room are the broad-shouldered human paladin, the monk Leosin, and many pitchers of dark red wine. The paladin’s face wears a serious expression, unlike its usual open countenance.

"My friends, we have important business to discuss. At this point, you know almost as much about it as we do, and thanks to you, we know twice as much today as we did a tenday ago. Something rotten is afoot. We have no formal organization to oppose these rascals— not yet anyway. We’re working on that. And we need people like you, who know how and when to fight, and how and when to keep their heads down and observe. We can’t promise you anything except long days filled with danger and stress— but what could be better than that, eh?"
Aug 4, 2017 10:15 am
Mryio steps forward, the smell of booze heavily permeates from him, obvious that he chose to drink instead of partake in the 'celebrations'. He tosses the sack of gold he received earlier, onto the ground "With all due respect, Shir, this conversation should of happened when we arrived, if ish as important as you shay. My friend ish still a prisoner of that blashted cult and we're here, throwing a fuckin' party? That gold," He points at the sack "is a kick of dirt on her and this celebration," He throws his arms in a circle "is a shpit in her face. Why do we lull about when the enemy work towardsh their goal?"
Aug 4, 2017 12:58 pm
Erich has kept to himself through much of the merrymaking, instead watching how his fellows interacted during the time. It's been a long time since you've really been around groups Erich. Just, see what they're doing.

When Myrio drunkenly slurs his protestations at the party instead of immediately jumping back into the fight, he tries not to smile a little bit.
Aug 4, 2017 2:36 pm
Frume looks calmly at Mryio, "Being that you know nothing of what's going on outside of this room for preparation, I'll let your outburst go. While we 'partied', I had a group of spies out gathering information. The cult is actually headed this way now, bearing its ill-gotten goods. When they get here, they will join with a group merchants heading north; a common practice when heading into that dangerous territory. We are trying to get things arranged so that we can get someone - preferably yourselves, if you'd do it - set up as guards with the caravan to see where it is going."
Aug 4, 2017 5:14 pm
Bughu rolls his shoulder. He felt like he could throw knives at targets all night when the ale, cheers, and jeers kept flowing, but now that the tone has become less jovial, the ache of overuse has begun to creep in.

He remains silent while the Frume and Myrio chat. If Bughu had any reaction to the new information or the outburst, he chooses not to reveal them.
Aug 4, 2017 6:52 pm
"Let my ou... My outbursht ish jushtified. The only thing I know ish that thish cult ish more dangeroush than I firsht thought and that they have my friend. We could of been informed that you had shcoutsh out sho I know I'm not jusht shitting on my assh letting a childhood friend washte away in shome godforshaken cultisht chell."
Aug 4, 2017 10:24 pm
This is something between Frume and Myrio. Bughu does not interfere.
Aug 4, 2017 11:36 pm
A happy drunk, Jon is very discomfited by Myrio's anger. Of course you would make time for drink and sport between bouts of heroism, what better to give you the fuel and fire to risk your life and brave great challenges? He gulps down some wine and stuffs a breadroll in his mouth, unsure what to say, if anything.
Aug 4, 2017 11:47 pm
"I understand your anger, friend, I was merely hoping to give you a chance to let go of the bad for a day. A chance to enjoy yourself before thing get even worse and more dangerous.
Aug 5, 2017 6:01 am
"If you undershtan my anger, than you know I jush can't let go." With the mix of overwhelming emotions and heavy alcohol, Mryio stumbles down onto the floor "Shesh all I got left, thingsh ish already ash worsh ash they can get an I ain got no room to worry about danger."
load next

Thread locked