Chapter 6: Mantol-Derith

load previous
Sep 22, 2017 1:20 pm
"They all seem wrong to me." Mai'ngor replies telepathically to the sword. "Tell me what you sense."
Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm
"Who says we'll be alone? Our friend here will be with us, too," says Hunter, tipping her head to their duergar captive. "But here is fine."

She clears her throat. "We understand there was a transaction between you and Yantha, regarding the value of a gemstone. Our friend here was kind enough to mention that Yantha is currently here in this enclave, and we would like to speak with her regarding the location of this gem so that we may return it to you. I would prefer that both gnome and gem are unspoiled, as it would make things very easy, don't you think?"

Hunter smiles.
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Sep 22, 2017 4:56 pm
"I went to that lying thief for an appraisal and she stole me gem!" he shouts, spittle spraying over Hunter's robes, "I already been talkin' to her. She don't seem to wanna talk."

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Naatkinson sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Naatkinson
Sep 22, 2017 5:24 pm
Sep 22, 2017 5:30 pm
With narrowed eyes, Mai'ngor watches Krimgol closely. Sinag is correct, there's something not quite right. Is it magic? Demonic possession? Or just plain greed?

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Sep 22, 2017 5:45 pm
"Well, of course," Hunter says casually, as though it should be obvious. Her tone remains pleasant even as her robes are soiled. "I think what we need is a third-party arbiter, someone she would be more willing to speak to rather than your handsome face. Someone who only wants everyone's best interests at heart, as I would like you to recover your gem, and Yantha to recover her name.

"And when this is all done, I would be interested in some of your wares. Our friend here tells me you have a very special inventory, yes?"
Sep 23, 2017 1:23 am
Krimgol stares at Hunter for a minute and then nods, "Go get her," he says to a couple of guards, never taking his eyes off of Hunter.

A few minutes later, the guards return, walking behind a svirfneblin female. She stops about 10 feet away from Hunter and speaks, "What can I do for you?"
Sep 23, 2017 1:24 am
Sep 23, 2017 2:44 am
As Yantha is being fetched Mai'ngor clears his throat. "Hunter. If I might have a private word with you?"

If Mai'ngor is able to take Hunter aside without upsetting Krimgol he will communicate to her everything that he and Sinag have observed: that there's something not right about Krimgol; he doesn't look like he's merely greedy. This borders on obsession for him, possibly induced by magic.
Last edited September 23, 2017 5:18 am
Sep 23, 2017 3:11 am
"Not right now, yes?" Hunter replies as she points at Mai'ngor, not taking her eyes off Krimgol. However, the gesture triggers Hunter's Message spell to the tikbalang, in which she asks, Yes? before listening to his reply.
[ +- ] Message
Sep 23, 2017 5:20 am
Mai'ngor replies in the privacy of Hunter's spell, "Look at Krimgol's eyes. You will see that he has a crazed look in them. He has a near-fanatical look in his eyes from the moment you mentioned the gem.

There's something not right about Krimgol; he doesn't look like he's merely greedy. This borders on obsession for him, possibly induced by magic."
Last edited September 23, 2017 5:21 am
Sep 23, 2017 7:12 pm
Meriele's eye is narrowed, inspecting both Hunter and Krimgol closely. She turns to one side and calmly steps away from the conversation by just a few feet, enough to not play an active part in the conversation, but to remain in earshot.
Sep 23, 2017 9:05 pm
"Hello. You must be Yantha?" Hunter says to the gnome. "Your dear friend Grimble hoped we'd find you here." She smiles, intentionally using the wrong name to gauge both the reactions of Yantha and the duergar.
Sep 24, 2017 2:01 pm
Poe continues to watch closely the reactions of all involved, looking for odd behaviour or dissembling.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Sep 24, 2017 6:23 pm
Poe doesn't notice anything out of place about anyone's actions.

The duergar don't notice anything odd about the name. Chances are that they don't pay that much attention to the members of the other races.

Yantha raises her eyebrows at the obvious mistake, but doesn't mention it, "Ah yes, my name is Yantha. I hope that Grimble is well?"
Sep 25, 2017 3:58 am
Hunter purses her lips. "Hm, yes," she says, mulling a thought.

"What is this, Krimgol?" she asks, turning to the duergar. "It doesn't look like you have the right gnome. Perhaps the real Yantha is still on the loose?" Hunter sighs with a shake of her head. "This won't do. Krimgol, let us take this mistaken identity back to their enclave, and we will search for the real Yantha. In the meantime, your fellow compatriot can remain here." She gestures to their duergar captive to be released.

"You-who-are-not-Yantha," she continues speaking, now to the gnome, attempting to take control of the situation, "you will take us back to your home and you will tell us what we wish to know. I think you'll agree it will be in your best interest to do so."

Rolls

Persuasion/Deception - (1d20+8)

(5) + 8 = 13

Tides of Chaos (Advantage ability check) - (1d20+8)

(20) + 8 = 28

Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am
Meriele quirks a brow at Hunter, and begins to look concerned.
Sep 25, 2017 1:27 pm
Krimgol sputters, "What do you mean, this ain't the real Yantha?"

Yantha's eyes widen, but she doesn't give any other indication that she's surprised. Unsure what to say, she doesn't say anything at all, but merely nods.
Sep 25, 2017 5:03 pm
"This isn't the first time svirfneblin cleverness has seen the light of phosphorescent fungi, nor do I expect it to be the last," Hunter remarks with a shake of her head, her tone belying experience and resignation. Already she is ushering Yantha towards the door. "I purposefully used the wrong name; only the real Yantha would have detected the falsehood. We deeply apologize for this inconvenience and the unnecessary delay in acquiring your property, and I promise you we will do everything we can to remedy the situation."

She gestures the others to the door. "Your friend there," Hunter says, pointing to the duergar captive that they're leaving behind, "can tell you all about his experiences with the deep gnomes. And I'm sure he can vouch for our vested interest in assisting you with this endeavor."
load next

Thread locked