Character Creation Thread

load previous
Dec 5, 2017 6:55 pm
Welcome thirtylives!

I'm looking over your character now. A few things:

We will be using the Standard Array for these introductory games. This ensures that everyone starts off on the same foot. The scores you can apply to your attributes are 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8. You may then apply any racial bonuses.

Also, in the attribute array you can mark the checkbox for your class's Saving Throws (Dexerity and Intelligence for Rogues).

At 1st level, you will have a +2 to your Proficiency Bonus. This will automatically adjust your scores on the character sheet.

One exception to this automatic adjustment is in the Weapons section. You should have a +5 attack bonus for ranged and finesse weapons, Dexterity (3) plus proficiency (2). Your damage bonus should be +3.

Another exception is in your rogue's Expertise. One suggestion is to add the actual modifier in the skill description, e.g. change "Insight" to "Insight +6" to reflect your double-proficiency (+4) plus your ability modifier (Wisdom +2).

After all that, you can add a character avatar and you'll be set to go.
Dec 5, 2017 8:41 pm
Thanks so much for the feedback! Here's where I'm at:

- Changed Stats to standard array
- Checked saving throw boxes
- Added prof. bonus
- I am still a bit confused on the weapon bonus calculations. I checked the basic rules, but I'm still missing something here with the math
- Specified bonus to expertise
- Added an avatar
Dec 5, 2017 9:00 pm
Page 73 of the basic rules (or page 194 of the Player's Handbook) describe how you calculate Attack Rolls.
[ +- ] Modifiers to the (Attack) Roll
Basically, you always add the Ability Modifier based on the attribute required for the weapon. If you are proficient in using that weapon (often granted with a racial or class feature), you also add your proficiency modifier.

For example, Fighters are proficient in Simple and Martial weapons. Any weapon they use will add Ability + Proficiency. Most wizards, however, are only proficient in a specific list; if they use a weapon they are not proficient in, such as a longsword, they only add the Ability modifier.
Dec 5, 2017 9:06 pm
@thirtylives: Character looks good so far. Your AC is actually 13: leather (AC 11) plus Dexerity modifier (+2).

Also, as a Human, you get to add +1 to each ability score, which will make the Standard Array 16, 15, 14, 13, 11, and 9.
Dec 5, 2017 9:46 pm
CancerMan says:
Welcome Jace.72!

I'm looking over your character and have a couple of minor adjustments to recommend.

You should have a total of 5 skills to choose for proficiency. Athletics and Intimidation are automatically provided from your background as a Soldier. You get two more from being a Fighter (choose from the options available), and one from being a variant human.

We're restricting ourselves to your class's starting equipment, as well as anything provided by your background. You have a glaive and a longsword, which are allowed as part of your equipment, but if you take those two you won't be able to select shortbow. You do have access to a light crossbow or two handaxes.

The pitons, lantern, and oil are not part of the explorer's pack.

I didn't see anything about your 1st-level feature, Second Wind. If you always remember that you have it, that's fine; we usually add any features from class, race, or other source in the Feats/Abilities section.

You can also add more weapons to the Weapons sections (click "Add Weapon" to add another entry). Speaking of weapons, your Attack Bonus is your Ability Modifier plus Proficiency (if you're proficient, which as a Fighter you ought to be); this gives you a +5 to your attacks with Strength (3) plus Proficiency (2). Your Damage bonus is just your Ability Modifier, which if it's Strength is +3.

For your Magic Initiative spells (I assume you picked Wizard), adjust the ability for your 1st-level spell. You have Strength selected.

Looks good so far. If you haven't yet added an Avatar for your character, go ahead and find one.
Hi

yep sorry, that pc was created when i was playing around and was a rewrite of a pre existing Pen and Paper Char. I will go through and adjust the pc as advised. you know i never did get how the starting equipment worked. i usually just picked the pack and 1 line of the selections :-o.
i should have that sorted today.
Cheers
J
Dec 5, 2017 10:08 pm
Thanks CMan! So if I understand it right:

- Rolls to hit are d20 + prof + attrib, and damage is just d20 + attrib bonus.
- For damage calculations, since Shortsword is a finesse weapon is uses Dex instead of Str ?

For the AC, my Dex mod is +3
Dec 5, 2017 10:43 pm
Minor clarification, finesse weapons can use either Strength or Dexterity. It's just that in most cases, the whole reason you're taking a finesse weapon is to substitute the ability. If you've an idea for a fighter that loves shortswords or daggers (for two-weapon fighting, as an example), you'd probably still use Strength if that's the higher attribute.
Dec 6, 2017 4:06 pm
Welcome Linus!

I'm looking over your character and have a couple of minor adjustments to recommend.

Write down your known languages somewhere. As a human, you know Common and one other language of your choice.

Your spell selection is fine, but you'll want to track your spell slots somewhere. Some people like to put them in the Notes section.

Your Initiative modifier is based on Dexterity, which is a +2.

Speaking of which, your weapon Attack Bonus and Damage needs adjustment. Since you're using Finesse weapons, you can apply either your Strength or Dexterity modifiers. I assume you're going to use Dexterity, leaving you with a +4 Attack Bonus and +2 Damage.

Your Armor Class should be 13 with Leather and Dexterity.
Dec 6, 2017 5:09 pm
CancerMan says:
Welcome Linus!

Write down your known languages somewhere. As a human, you know Common and one other language of your choice.

Your spell selection is fine, but you'll want to track your spell slots somewhere. Some people like to put them in the Notes section.

Your Initiative modifier is based on Dexterity, which is a +2.

Speaking of which, your weapon Attack Bonus and Damage needs adjustment. Since you're using Finesse weapons, you can apply either your Strength or Dexterity modifiers. I assume you're going to use Dexterity, leaving you with a +4 Attack Bonus and +2 Damage.

Your Armor Class should be 13 with Leather and Dexterity.
I know what happened. I originally went with point buy stats, but then switched to standard array. It lowered my Dex by 1. I made the adjustments you listed. Thanks so much.
Dec 6, 2017 5:19 pm
Hi TheDaykinator! I noticed you have a character, but aren't in any games. If you're still interested in participating, I can place you into Group Three with Linus, thirtylives, and Jace.72. And then we can get rolling.
Dec 19, 2017 1:21 am
Would it be possible for me to opt out of this game? I'm running a big campaign and playing 2 others right now so it's hard to focus on this.
Dec 19, 2017 1:24 am
The_unknowns says:
Would it be possible for me to opt out of this game? I'm running a big campaign and playing 2 others right now so it's hard to focus on this.
That's totally fine! I hope that you got what you needed out of this game and I apologize for my lack of activity lately. Good luck in your other games :)
Dec 19, 2017 10:53 pm
Thanks. I've had a lot of fun here, and it was my first time formally playing D&D. đź‘Ť

You do not have permission to post in this thread.