WH40K Campaign: The Call of Draatus

May 29, 2015 4:18 pm
I was thinking of using vassal 40k to run a map based campaign over gamers plane. We would be using gamers plane as a base for ooc discussion and record keeping. Vassal 40k to play the battles. A modified version of planetary empires for the map (using gps map function for record keeping). 7th ed 40k rules.

How I envision this:

The background: Something has sent a pulse of psychic energy deep into space. It has originated in a sparsely populated backwater star system called Draatus. Now various forces converge on the system in search of the source.

4 Factions - Each faction is united by a common theme or goal. The armies fighting for a faction need not necessarily be allies but they are all working toward the same ends in the campaign. Each faction is led by a commander, this is the player controlling the factions representative army. Factions can have any number of Armies under there banner, but we want to try to keep the factions equal in size.

Faction - Overarching group of armies fighting for the same goal.
Army - The 40k army used by a specific player. Each army is controlled by a different player.
Commander. - The player and army in charge of a specific faction

Example:
Faction - The Forces of Chaos
Commander - Azzorak
Armies:
Order of Nox - Chaos Space Marines of Nurgle - Azzorak
Goal: Locate the Warp pulse to open a permenant warp storm in Imperial space.

More to come as interest is gauged. Currently I am looking for 3 players to start factions for the campaign. We can play with just the four factions but armies serving under the faction would mean more diverse battles. Post if you want to start a faction or if you want to join one that has been proposed. Post the army you are interested in playing and why they would fight for a specific cause. Try to keep these connections plausible. Feel free to post questions. Map building, modifications to the planetary empires systems, pacing, and narrative will all be done collaboratively in the game thread if this takes off.
Last edited August 5, 2015 4:18 pm
May 29, 2015 4:57 pm
As in the past, 40k is fun. I've always enjoyed playing.
May 29, 2015 5:39 pm
We will be using the same program yes, but instead of doing tournament style brackets I was hoping more for a global map with territories that we try to conquer. It will be fairly simple but number of territories controlled and the buildings built in them can affect battles. Number of territories controlled also helps you reach your end goal. Conquering territories happens through standard 40k rules. More to come as we start discussing.
May 29, 2015 6:22 pm
So you're aiming for (to use an established example) something more like how Dark Crusade did it, where we'll be fighting over territory?

I'm totally in.

As far as a Faction goes, how about this:
Faction - Cadian 501st
Commander - DeusMalum
Armies:
Cadian 501st - Imperial Guard - DeusMalum
Goal: Secure Draatus against Xenos and Heretic incursion
May 29, 2015 6:50 pm
That looks great, now say Keleth were to join, he could either.

Create a new faction

Ex: The Ancient Races - An unlikely or perhaps unintentional cooperation of Necrons, Eldar, and Dark Eldar who recognize the dangers the artifacts might represent to the fabric of the universe and so seek to destroy it.

Or he can control an army that benefits one of the two existing factions.

Maybe play as Chaos Daemons and be part of the Chaos faction or Space Marines and benefit the Cadian faction. He could even be a less likely ally such as Orks benefitting the Cadian faction. Its not that the orks are actively working with and taking orders from the Guard but if he could come up with a plausible explantation for how the orks actions help the guard achieve their goal that would be acceptable. Even still Ork freebooters frequently sell out to the highest bidder. The fluff is filled with strange and unlikely alliances including Dark Angels and Chaos, Space Marines and Necrons, Orks and Guard, Tau and Guard.

Example: The Ancient Races - The orks, though not really one of the ancient races, may fit here because their attacks on the imperial and chaos forces in the sector weaken their presence and their tendency to loot means they likely would destroy the relic if it were found thereby accomplishing the factions goals. In this example the orks are unwilling or unknowingly contributing to the faction, but for game purposes its all the same. How each army contributes to the war effort and how the necrons and eldar avoid conflict with the orks is totalling a matter of collaborative fluff writing, the factions system itself is a mechanical abstraction. This is kind of hard to explain on a forum, but this should prove to be an exercise in creativity. Obviously more logical factions are easier to justify but WH40k has such a morally grey background that anything is plausible.
Last edited May 29, 2015 6:52 pm
May 29, 2015 6:59 pm
Are Tau still a thing? I always wanted to play them back in our old stuff (though I did quite enjoy playing Space Marines). Now that the Mechanus are a faction, I might look at that...
May 29, 2015 7:07 pm
Would love to see how mechanicus plays but I doubt that Vassal 40k has them supported yet. Tau got a new book in 7th ed and a lot of new units. They are quite competitive now.
May 29, 2015 8:13 pm
You're right, no Mechanicus yet... but I wanna be machine people...

I'll look into 7e Tau. They fit nicely into mostly any non-Chaos groups.
May 29, 2015 8:37 pm
Could even start another faction with them...The Greater Good. Could easily see Eldar working with them if the goal fits. Alternatively the Tau are the only Xenos species to get somewhere near tolerated by the Imperium.
Last edited May 29, 2015 8:37 pm
May 29, 2015 8:39 pm
Or they could even be working together without direct involvement between the parties. The Tau may find the place sufficiently far from their territories that they don't want to expend the effort taking control of it, but as the Tau empire expands a planet that has humans living on it is much easier to sway to the Greater Good than a planet full of daemons.
Meanwhile the Imperial forces wouldn't keep direct communication channels with the Tau out in the open, but sharing of tactical information once the Tau make their intentions clear would likely occur.
Last edited May 29, 2015 8:40 pm
May 29, 2015 8:48 pm
Oh man getting excited already just discussing the preliminaries. Hope we can get enough interest to get this going. The plan is for this to take place over the whole system so there will be several territory maps and several special rules for each. This should allow us to play all through the summer. It would be nice to get several people playing in each factions to spread the game burden around and have a bit more diversity in battles but we can always play 1 or 2 to a faction or cut the factions in half and double the armies in each. Think it would be more exciting with multiple sides fighting over the system though. I kind of envisioned the factions being able to discuss things via pm and kind of work out a tactical plan together. More factions means more threats to deal with. I know Anks has been interested in starting 40k and we have discussed playing Vassal games quite a bit. His schedule is a bit limited but a big enough player count will spread the burden enough that he might manage it. Plus having multiple armies per faction means he can (or anyone) can contribute when they can while others in the faction make up the slack. I will get in touch with him and see if he wants in on this.
May 29, 2015 9:03 pm
Yeah I like the idea of a distribution over factions. One of the hardest parts about our old bracketing system was that EVERYBODY had to play every week, and that wasn't always manageable with work and school schedules. This way we could split matches based on pre-planning and availability.
May 30, 2015 12:46 am
Exactly I kind of figured that every game round (once a week or whatever) every player in each faction can decide to attack a territory. The attacker decides where the attack is happening but the defending faction can elect which army to defend with. Obviously the idea is pretty rough right now but I have a vision right now that needs refining. I need to start putting it on paper and that will happen as we discuss.
Jun 18, 2015 2:56 am
So I talked to a few friends who were old tabletop players back when we could all spend our parents' money on $1000s worth of figurines and paint, and there's interest. I'm working on getting some of them onto the site, anyone else have an interest?
Jun 18, 2015 10:55 am
Great work Deus, I still haven't talked to Anks but I am sure he will play. I am still working on the campaign system, I will post some information soon.
Jun 28, 2015 6:29 pm
Can I get in on this?
Jun 28, 2015 8:21 pm
Sure, think we're still building the list of players, but feel free to put your faction info in or join an existing one. I'm hoping the closer this gets to "ready" the more likely we'll be able to attract attention from people who might not otherwise have jumped in.
Jun 28, 2015 10:00 pm
That is what I am hoping. Should have full rules posted soon and that will clarify things a bit and will help other decide if they want in or not.
Jul 5, 2015 5:18 am
How do I use Vassal? It won't let me get the modules I need to play because GW forbids them being on Vassal's website.
Jul 5, 2015 2:41 pm
I know its tough to dig up the file because GW is a hassle. Here is a link to the module.

Install it and then open it through vassal using open module under file. Once you open it once it will be on the list of modules on vassal going forward.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.