Gamers' Plane development future

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Sep 6, 2017 12:55 pm
azira says:
Looks like someone is fighting back though. I guess we can hope it gets stopped in court like his other ventures: BREAKING: New York Attorney General to announce filing of multi-state lawsuit to protect #DACA recipients
I always wonder about these suits; what grounds have they found? Again, not a lawyer, but my tie in the immigration circuits have taught me a bit, and it feels frivolous to me, which would just be a waste of state and federal money. I was at the Foley Square rally in NYC yesterday, and while I appreciated the (not pointed at me) support, it also felt like rhetoric.
Sep 6, 2017 1:07 pm
Keleth says:
Naatkinson says:
Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone who's here (and obeys the law) to be deported, but congress needs to get off of their collective ass and create an actual law covering this situation instead of relying on an executive order. This may be the push they need to actually get something done other than collect our hard-earned tax dollars :P
I agree; congress should have handled this. The Dream Act or a (IMO) reasonable alternative was brought to Congress at least 4 times, twice barely failing (both times due to promised votes that ended up going no), once dying to filibuster, another by never being allowed to the floor, even though it had strong support. The EO was only necessary in the same way that if you're in an accident, you don't refuse a bandage because a surgeon isn't stitching you up right there. And if a surgeon keeps refusing to help you, you're not about to tear off the bandage just because it's a temporary solution.
I have a feeling that this is one of those situations that's going to be judged (in the future) on the result, not the intention. If it causes congress to work to get something implemented, it will be seen as a risky choice that paid off. If not, it'll be seen as a heartless act that was meant to punish innocent people.
Sep 6, 2017 1:22 pm
Naatkinson says:
I have a feeling that this is one of those situations that's going to be judged (in the future) on the result, not the intention. If it causes congress to work to get something implemented, it will be seen as a risky choice that paid off. If not, it'll be seen as a heartless act that was meant to punish innocent people.
I suspect it'll be both. The Trump presidency will be a time of reflection, to be learned from, and things like the possible passing of the Dream Act, of political awakening, etc, will be the shining lights in the darkness.
Sep 7, 2017 1:07 am
Really sorry to hear it, Keleth. I heard that the Dreamers Program had been ended, but didn't connect that it might affect you. Is there any way that you could make a living off of Gamer's Plane...?
As for the politics of DANA, I've heard that it's pretty unconstitutional and (knowing Obama [no offense to anyone]) it doesn't surprise me. However, that doesn't mean that I don't have the greatest sympathy for you Keleth and I hope you're able to stay States-side, not only for GP's sake, but even more so as one American to another. As I've said before in such discussions, I've seen our immigration program from the other side and it's an absolute mess, and Trump cutting the livelihood out from hundreds of immigrants (even illegal ones) isn't really going to fix anything. Our beast of an immigration system needs a complete overhaul, in my opinion. Keep us posted!
Last edited September 7, 2017 1:07 am
Sep 7, 2017 2:38 am
As an aside, it looks like Canada may be willing to take on some of the people impacted by the removal of DACA. Perhaps you could look into that as an option?
Sep 7, 2017 6:27 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, Keleth. I have little faith in Congress these days, but here's hoping they can make this right.
Sep 7, 2017 6:34 pm
CouchLord0510 says:
As for the politics of DANA, I've heard that it's pretty unconstitutional and (knowing Obama [no offense to anyone]) it doesn't surprise me.
What is it, exactly, that you know about Obama that convinces you that DACA is unconstitutional?
Sep 8, 2017 1:22 am
How can I donate too Keleth?
Sep 8, 2017 2:13 pm
My deepest sympathies, Keleth. What you do through this site is pure magic. From everyone who loves to play with more description, to those of us who just don't have a group and want a sense of community, we all have your back. I pray the best for you, my friend, and you will always have my support.
Sep 10, 2017 3:44 pm
Just on the subject of the OP, we can all support the site in whatever we can. Keleth doesn't shout about this nearly enough, so I will.

On the bottom right of this very page is a PayPal link along with affiliate links that will give additional funds if you buy anything through those stores. Throw a few bucks GP's way if you can and keep this site alive and growing!
Sep 10, 2017 3:46 pm
lunitar says:
How can I donate too Keleth?
Hit that Orange "Support Us" Button. Sometimes we see it so often, it blends into the background.
Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm
I'll be having a phone call with her on Thursday, but my lawyer has brought up that with DACA being revoked, my deportation proceedings that were granted prosecutorial discretion could again be brought back up. And now I'm morally torn between wanting any bill passed to give me a chance, the right bill being passed for the common good even if it means I may not get it, and a bill being passed with something wrong for the nation attached (the wall, more military funding, stupid tax "reform" ideas).
Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm
I hope things turn out well for you, Keleth. I'm fairly certain this administration will be a stain on our history in the future due to its blatant corruption, shocking incompetence and racist rhetoric and actions. But knowing this doesn't make living through it any easier -- especially when you're on the receiving end of it.

I am somewhat heartened that it appears some form of Dream Act is broadly supported in Congress. But I also know that since Hastert, comprimise and working across the aisle has not been considered the act of a statesman (or stateswoman). So, I am personally skeptical that six months from now we'll have a better story. Fingers crossed, however.
Sep 13, 2017 10:32 pm
I'm sorry to hear that you're being negatively impacted. I am not one hundred percent positive that everything will just work out in the end, but I certainly hope it does.
Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm
Had a call with my immigration lawyer today, and I can breathe slightly easier as I'm not as screwed as I previously thought. She definitely dropped a ball by not telling me or my brother about the use of Advanced Parole to possibly have already gotten status, but we'll leave that be. I'm used to limited advocacy.

Yes, I'm eligible for deportation hearings again, but that depends on both the prosecutor's office deciding that DACA being rescinded is enough grounds to revoke prosecutorial discretion and the judge deciding that the case is worth hearing right now. It's not a safe space to be in, but it means nothing immediately bad will happen. And since the PD was applied to my family's asylum case, we can continue to get work permits through that until it's ruled on.

So next steps:
1) Beef up the asylum case. Things have changed over the last 5 years, and there's probably more we can add to it.
2) Look for work with a big company, one that has pledged support for Dreamers, and if possible, multi-national. Should all else fail, there may be ways to work for one of those companies for a year or two abroad and then return to the US.

Thanks for everyone's support; I wanted to make sure you were informed.
Sep 15, 2017 9:02 am
Wonderful news! I can't imagine how hard this has been for you.
Sep 15, 2017 12:25 pm
Great News! Stay strong Keleth we are all rooting and praying for you.
Sep 15, 2017 12:31 pm
To be clear, it's not solutions, just options in the dark. I'm also going to have to find people who work at big tech companies like Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc and see what I'm lacking to make it into one of those.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.